• Topic is favorited by 274 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

53663951190_696642b1ae_c (resized).jpg
53663311748_14568d061c_c (resized).jpg
53662225557_f2e8f3ac6e_k (resized).jpg
Williams_1991_Terminator_2_Judgment_Day_Manual_-_Update.pdf (PDF preview)
A2_Feature_Adjustments_(Update).pdf (PDF preview)
Terminator2_L8_4.pdf (PDF preview)
53639132189_e8b428873f_k (resized).jpg
53639132179_2f5a4b2c09_k (resized).jpg
IMG_5447 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5475 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5462 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240401_002830006 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240401_002816443 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_192714330 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_192724360 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_192719354 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nugsy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6789 5 years ago

just bought a T2

one of my favorite games of all time, looking forward to being a part of the machine community

1 month later
#6890 5 years ago

quick newbie question...I just ordered an L-8 CPU chip as the machine came with L-3 originally. I heard someone say to be careful to make sure the sound chip is also compatible with the ROM as that can be important on some games. is there specific compatibility between CPU/sound ROMs on T2 that I should know about or am I good to install L-8 as-is?

#6900 5 years ago

Question about troubleshooting light boards: the leftmost stand up in the center 3-bank has gone out ("Advance" in "Advance Escape Route"). When I first got the machine, it was working according to pictures I have. I replaced the bulb and cleaned off the connections to the twist socket on both the socket pins and board connector with no success. I traced the wiring about as competently as I could, reseated a few connectors as well as the light matrix headers in the backbox. I didn't notice any burnt pins or otherwise obviously bad connections.

What might a T2 veteran recommend looking into next? T2 is for all intents and purposes my very first pin and I am learning a lot about repair as I go. Any advice is welcome

3 weeks later
#6928 5 years ago

Update: I fixed the solder on one socket, cleaned the heck out of the connections on a couple others, and I now have almost all the bulbs with twist sockets working great on T2. Thanks for everyone who had a suggestion for me. Now it's time to start re-soldering some of the sockets for the GI, slings, and autofire hotdog...

#6932 5 years ago

New issue has popped up to try and troubleshoot/mitigate if possible. Even since getting it, I have noticed an issue with locking a ball in the skull. It always seemed to be that even a direct shot would occasionally fail to lock the ball - I always chalked this up to maybe a little rattling in the lane just before the kicker. A month or so ago, the poor skull on my machine popped a rivet and someone managed to get a ball stuck inside his chin! The skull assembly and metal plate that mounts under it have been removed for now until I have access to a rivet press, then I can re-solder the wires and put the skull back on.

Now that I can see the whole lane/kicker assembly, it looks like what's happening is that balls are making it past the gate all the way up into the kicker, but not settling down properly once it goes into the metal backstop and causing the ball to skip back over the kicker and down into the lane. It's a little frustrating to put a clean shot straight up there during a multiball and not get the lock, so I was wondering if there was anything any of you guys do to help prevent that kind of thing. I'm sure replacing the skull and plate helps, but those assembly bits only appear to cover the front opening of that shot and don't really extend all the way over the kicker to begin with.

My first thought was maybe to put a piece of foam up on the metal in the way back to absorb some of the bounce, or maybe to mount a small plastic up there to give the ball less height to bounce. I would have thought the gate would prevent that kind of thing but it seems like either the gate is broken in a way I can't see or the gate has some other purpose.

1 month later
#7059 5 years ago

I'm having an issue with my T2's right flipper. I just soldered a new power cable into my game, as the cord it came with had the ground prong snipped off by whoever owned it previously. After re-connecting the service receptacle, the right flipper is now intermittently active during attract mode.

I made sure that the ground strip travelling around the inside of the cabinet was secured well and continuous for the entire length of its run on the right side of the cabinet. I also don't notice anything immediately wrong with the screw that provides the support for the ground strip directly under the flipper. Is there somewhere specific I should look for a problem with the grounding strip?

To the best of my knowledge, it seems like the ground is partially connected, as pressing the flipper button occasionally only causes a slight blip in the flipper. Some presses, it does nothing at all, like it should. Other presses, it's like you were still in the middle of the game. This only happens with the right flipper and not with the left, so I think I ruled out an issue with the ground solder inside the convenience receptacle where I put the new cord in.

4 months later
#7296 4 years ago

My T2 won't boot and I am having some trouble figuring out where to start. It turns on, everything lights up except the DMD, and you can hear the game go into attract mode through the speakers with the *thud thud* sound. However, you cannot start a game - something that I was told indicates that the machine is not booting up properly.

I checked all the display connectors in the head and none of them were burned or obviously broken. I didn't have a ton of time today, but I took my multimeter and measured the voltage of the J604 connector from the display driver board to the DMD. Every rail except for +5V was giving out crazy numbers. The +5V pin was seemingly totally unaffected and was stable at 4.98V during attract mode.

How should I continue to trace this issue further when I get a little more time this week? Should I check the voltage on the pins going to the display driver board from the power driver board? I feel like it has to be an issue with the display driver rather than the power driver since the rest of the game seems to come alive just fine. I checked the fuse panels and did not see any blown fuses. If there is anything I can take a picture of to help, please let me know, the extent of my repair work so far has been reflowing lamp sockets and resoldering bad joints on the stand up target banks.

#7301 4 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

Try reseating the connectors on all boards.

Beat ya to the punch. I gave all the connectors a good reseating, including the ribbon cables. The DMD was also in known good working order with no visible dark spots or ghosting before the game stopped booting, so I'd be surprised if it was the display itself that conked out, but anything's possible I guess. Gotta do a little more testing with the multimeter when I have some free time but after reading what I can find on the internet, it seems like I might have some dead transistors/some burning going on maybe

1 week later
#7315 4 years ago

False alarm on my T2 I think.....big thank you to the people who replied with some advice. I pulled the board and the F602 fuse looks totally fine but tests dead. In between the game failing for the first time and grabbing the meter a week later, I didn't test the fuses til I had time to pull the board out today to start going through the surface mount components. Fuses were the first thing I checked and sure enough one was dead - that explains the -125 and -113 rails being dead and I bet if I toss a replacement 3/8A slow blow in there it will come alive once again.

Now I just need to redo the burnt GI headers...then we'll be looking good

#7322 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

What were the crazy numbers? First step is to confirm proper voltages are being supplied by the DMD driver board. Make sure to set your meter on the proper range. There should be over 100V DC there. Be careful!
Check with your meter, all the fuses on the DMD board to make sure they are good.
If you are getting attract sounds and attract patterns in the inserts on the playfield, the game is booting and your problem is a display issue.

OK so the F602 fuse was a good place to start, but not the solution. The replacement fuse I put in there blew immediately when I turned the game on. I am still getting attract sounds/flashers when the game turns on. I infer from this that the problem is likely specifically with the DMD driver board. My plan now is going mounted component by mounted component and looking for discrepancies from the stated values in the manual.

Looking at the schematic, F602 is the first place power arrives from header J605 (the AC transformer). Does that mean I should specifically be looking at the transformer? Or can the fuse be blown due to a component issue on the driver board as well?

11 months later
#8002 3 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

My T2 Chrome Edition project has been completed, after many hours, $$$, and mods.

Wow, is that skull mount custom-made or is it part of that particular skull? I can't tell too good from the side pic but it looks like there's a proper nut through the jaw area as opposed to a rivet?

The original assembly on mine broke after a ball accidentally got launched into the skull's chin and I've been trying to figure out a better way to get it back on and protect it a little better from underneath, and that metal plate looks like a pretty elegant solution to both

1 year later
#9110 1 year ago

Quick question for my hunter-killer ship owning friends...does anyone happen to know what size screw/locknut is used to mount the ship to its bracket? I made my own bracket but I can't seem to keep the ship secured. All of the mounting kits I see sold online appear to just include a regular screw and locknut, but none of them say what size they are

6 months later
#9495 1 year ago

Quick question about the L-8.3 ROM - if I'm not looking to install the profanity chip, only U6 is necessary to be replaced correct? I purchased a blank 27040 to replace my stock L-8 U6 but just want to confirm that I can keep the "Profanity" adjustment disabled on the L-8.3 with the non-profanity U14/15/18

#9498 1 year ago

Thanks for the help. Had a local guy with a programmer flash the ROM onto the blank chip, swapped it with my L-8 U6 and sure enough I saw "Terminator 2 Rev. L8.3" light up on the DMD. Brilliant work Averell! The 8.3 attract mode is incredible and will make leagues/tournaments much better now that we don't have to scramble to take a photo of the game scores lest we be forced to wait for the attract mode to fully cycle in order to see the scores again

9 months later
#10395 6 months ago

Stupid question - how do people recommend getting to screws in the back portion of the playfield? It doesn't slide forward really (though I know I could pull the hinge off the bolts) but with the playfield resting on the cabinet arm, I have a tough time reaching some of those rear screws to replace plastics or rubbers. Really tiny screwdriver? 90 degree screwdriver?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 21.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 27.95
$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nugsy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-clubmembers-only?tu=nugsy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.