• Topic is favorited by 274 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

53663951190_696642b1ae_c (resized).jpg
53663311748_14568d061c_c (resized).jpg
53662225557_f2e8f3ac6e_k (resized).jpg
Williams_1991_Terminator_2_Judgment_Day_Manual_-_Update.pdf (PDF preview)
A2_Feature_Adjustments_(Update).pdf (PDF preview)
Terminator2_L8_4.pdf (PDF preview)
53639132189_e8b428873f_k (resized).jpg
53639132179_2f5a4b2c09_k (resized).jpg
IMG_5447 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5475 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5462 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240401_002830006 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240401_002816443 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_192714330 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_192724360 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240331_192719354 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2235 9 years ago

Hot glue works great for holding 555 bulbs in sockets. It offers just enough "stick" to hold it in but allows you to remove it if you need. I did this on my AVLE sling bulbs and never had a problem since. I used a toothpick to put a dab between the bulb and socket so I didn't risk melting anything with the hot glue gun...

#2236 9 years ago

Oh yea, I almost forgot....

I'M IN THE CLUB as of last weekend

I love the flow and cheesy music. Really wish they would have used the movie soundtrack but Arnold's real voice will have to do...

An when will we get a software update for this thing! The white targets play no role when the ball is in play. They should update the code to make them do something, maybe like the F-14 white targets... (kidding of course)

Anyone have a donor playfield or know someone that I could contact that would be willing to share the metal bracket across the targets below the H/K ship? Mine is missing...

#2239 9 years ago

Hey Joe, I checked their site in my search earlier this week and they do not have it on their site. Do you think this is something they have but don't have on their site and I should email them?

#2241 9 years ago

THANK YOU JOE!

I looked at Marco many times and never saw it there for some reason! DOH!

1 week later
#2278 9 years ago

Finny - Awesome job on the T2!

How was the playfield on your machine? Did you have to level any of the inserts before CC? My rectangular inserts are very slightly lifted and will be leveling them in the next few months before they get too bad. Unless you have some tips, I will be following Vid's guide when leveling them.

#2281 9 years ago
Quoted from eyeguypec:

Schwaggs, can you post a link to "Vid's guide"? Thanks in advance!

Sure thing... Its quite long but has lots of great information for someone that has never restored and clear coated a playfield (like me). http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

2 weeks later
#2330 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

I have a question for you Terminator fans! I ordered a new skull for my game from Australia and the one I received is slightly different than the one that came on my game (see picture). The new one is slightly narrower, the nose area is smaller, the teeth look smaller and the general markings are different. Did I get a cheap knockoff or is my old one the cheap knock off?

Also, anyone know what I can use to fabricate a new mounting bracket? One of mine is missing and I can't find one in stock anywhere.

Finally, what's the best process and paint for painting the teeth?

#2333 9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys. I found the ship and skull on pinball inc's site look closer to the ones I have and decided to get them and sell the others. Yes, I'm just that anal...

If anyone wants this set of ship and skull, pm me and I will sell them for $75 shipped. They are $90 with shipping on eBay.

1 week later
#2383 9 years ago
Quoted from Anth:

Try this: http://www.pinballinc.com/ramps/Terminator%202%20Hunter%20Killer%20Ship%20.html
They use permanent marker for the black details but the actual mold is spot on (at least on the skull that I bought was). The price is right too.

I just picked up a skull and ship from Pinball Inc and they are spot on mold wise. The black highlighting is weak but its not that big of a deal on the ship. I touched the entire skull with a black paint pen along with a white paint pen for the teeth. Matched the highlighting from my factory skull. Turned out great.

If you get a new ship, might as well get one of these too: http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_41&products_id=348 The protector fits fairly well. The holes were not spaced pergectly and the outline does not perfectly follow the ship but it is close and will somewhat protect your $50 ship.

Also, careful with the ship mounting screws. Its easy to chip the chrome paint in that area.

#2384 9 years ago

Hey T2 owners.... Whats the deal with the clear plastic triangles that are on the ball guides at the top of the playfield? Any idea how they are supposed to be arranged and the purpose they serve?

1 week later
#2410 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I just checked pinbits website and they don't have that listed at all. Only the completely clear one for $12?

You order the clear one and ask for the orange one in the notes.

I got the clear one and its really nice. I was a bit freaked out that it looked like it was cut out with an exacto knife but that was the frayed protective plastic that you peel off. Once peeled off, the protector is perfectly cut.

#2430 9 years ago

Anyone know of a source for the metal ring that goes around the back of the skull? Mine is missing along with the clear plastic piece that's to the left of the skull but I have a source for that piece.

Anyone parting or parted out a machine that has this metal piece?

#2436 9 years ago

My standard incandescent 555 bulbs faintly shine through my translite at the top.

#2443 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Schwaggs, I don't know if I have ever met you? I will have you over some time. You can come over and play - T2. By the way - Avengers is like really hard. No?

I don't think we met yet. I would love to start a local group where we take turns hosting a weekly get together to play each others games!

I LOVE the Avengers. It's a tough game. Not from a "drain monster" perspective but you have to be accurate with your shots.I have mine set to Extra Easy so its still fun for the family and it allows me to get pretty far into the modes.

#2444 9 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

No, just like other games. An option to turn on attract mode. I have this option off. But it still plays the rumble every 30 mins or so. On weekends my pins are all on till I go to bed. My Wife always goes to bed before I do, and T2... Well rumbles her awake with the attract mode I have set off. Dont tell me T2 has an attract mode. AND just a random built in rumble every 30 mins?

Its the animation where the T2 logo is banging together on the DMD. I have my attract sounds set to NO and mine still makes that one sound too.

I'm running L-3 sound and L-3 CPU ROM. That is the latest sound ROM but there is a L-8 CPU ROM out there. I wonder if that fixes this issue?

#2457 9 years ago

Hey T2 fans!

Does anyone have or know where to find a file to print out the drop target decal? Please PM me if you do.

#2474 9 years ago

Yep, mine does that too...

#2478 9 years ago

Hey T2 fans.

My T2 drop target under the skull will regularly let the ball pass through the target into the VUK.

In other words, start with the target up and hit it with a direct shot. On mine, often times the target will drop and the ball will continue past the dropped target into the VUK in one shot.

Can you drop the target and load the VUK in one shot?

I suspect this isn't normal but what causes this? A worn drop target plastic?

#2487 9 years ago

L-3 sound ROM file and L-8 CPU ROM file is on IPDB

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=terminator&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#2524

I couldn't open the CPU ROM the last time I downloaded it so you may have to see if John has it... I do not.

#2490 9 years ago

Problem I had with the file on IPDB is that it would not unzip when I tried it last month.

I just tried it again a minute ago and it WORKED! Looks like they put a new file out there. The file name has changed.

#2499 9 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

What is the difference with the roms? Why upgrade? Is it just the profanity choice?

Profanity is not in the L-8 roms. You need to get a special sound and CPU rom that is based on the L-3 roms from what I understand.

#2500 9 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

All I can remember is that you get a cool T-1000 head split animation for the shoot again. Dont remember what else. Not much though.

The head split is in the L-3 roms too. Never did get a good description of the changes between versions.

#2504 9 years ago

Is it??
Maybe the skull and lightning animation during attract mode?

Yea, I can confirm it is in L-3 as that is what my machine is running and it does the head splitting animation.

I have not watched all the attract graphic to know if there is a skull and lighting animation in there... I will pay attention to the graphics next time its on

#2507 9 years ago
Quoted from Jive:

Got a problem with the trigger on my T2. When you play the first game after you turn it on, 9 times out of 10 the ball will not fire. However, you can usually press the right flipper button, and then pull the trigger, and it fires. I am pretty sure it is a switch problem, but I am really not sure how to test it. Checking it via continuity on the meter, I get no beep, but the values on the meter change. I guess I am kind of unsure how to test a switch with a diode on it. Checking the matrix, everything else is working fine. I've replaced transistors on boards, changed connectors, and even replaced wiring harness' before, so I am a bit ashamed that one switch has be stumped!

Try bending the tab on the micro switch on the trigger (inside the cabinet near the trigger handle) so that the trigger activates it sooner in the trigger pull action.... does that make sense?

#2510 9 years ago
Quoted from Jive:

Yes, it does. I checked that, and I can hear the switch click fairly early into the squeeze.

Checking the wiring on the trigger switch to make sure the solder joints are secure.

Follow the switch wiring back into the harness and see if there is a connector in line. I don't think there is, but doesn't hurt to double check. If there is one, unplug the connector, inspect the contacts and plug it back together. Check if this improves the situation.

If these don't work, I would replace the switch. They do indeed wear out eventually.

#2514 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Sorry if I squeezed into your problem solving. Schwaggs, you are more than welcome to come over someday soon. A better time would be after I pick up my next pin. I am starting my search right now.

Sounds like a plan. I may be having some other pinheads over in the coming weeks to try and convince them that the Avengers is a fun pin, when I do, I will be sure to look you up!

Quoted from Jive:

Found the problem! The plunger that hits the micro switch wasn't releasing sometimes, and therefore kept the switch closed. I put some light oil on it, and everything is working fine. I'll probably disassemble the trigger mech, and give it a good cleaning, as I know in general, oil and pins are not a good combo. I'm guessing that hitting the flippers vibrated it enough to release the switch.

NICE! Congrats! Feels good to figure it out!

2 weeks later
#2542 9 years ago
Quoted from we7313:

Anyone know if this piece has any value? I know it goes under the skull, but just seems to be in the way when I need to do work in that area. Am I loosing anything if I remove it?

We7313,that part has been missing from my machine since I got it. No negative effects to being it removed for me...

2 months later
#2702 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I've started using the 6-LED crystal fan bulbs from Comet. They are brighter and I think they look pretty cool too.
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/6smdfan.htm

+1 - they look pretty cool in T2 Pops. Not to dim and not blinding...

#2704 9 years ago

yep, red LEDs under the red cap.

1 week later
#2710 9 years ago

Jive, that is a head scratcher... When you replaced the switch, did you replace the diode? Did you install the orientation of the diode correctly (check the other switches in the row or column and verify the white band is to the same color wire as the other switches).

#2715 9 years ago

Jive, yours is wired just like mine. Lets check if the switch is working. With the machine off and your meter set to continuity (or ohms of you don't have continuity on your meter):

You should have 0 ohms across the 2 end terminals of the switch with the switch not activated and open with it activated (careful of the polarity of your meter as you could read 0 ohms because of the diode if the red and black are one way or the other).

You should have open across the 2 close terminals with the switch not activated and 0 with it activated.

3 weeks later
#2744 9 years ago
Quoted from tigerpin:

Just looked at the batteries and board. I can't see any evidence of damage. Any other suggestions/ideas?

Have you checked the batteries that you removed from the game when this happens? If the batteries are dieing quickly (within months), it is most likely the blocking diode that prevents the batteries from powering anything other than the memory. If the batteries are good, it is most likely the contacts on the battery holder or solder joints as others have said.

#2784 9 years ago
Quoted from Erdrick1980:

Have you guys tried installing a fan in the back box where all the PCBs are? I opened it up to check connections (found screws not in all the way) and found it to be pretty warm/hot in there.

The Dot Matrix Driver board is where most of the heat comes from. The resistors and transistors in the high voltage power supply get very hot. You really don't have to have a fan, the boards have survived for years without one.

If you want to add one, you don't need much air flow to make a big impact on temps there. Just get the quietest 40mm 12v fan you can find/afford. You can power it off the 12v connectors on the driver board.

#2787 9 years ago

Go into settings and disable GI power saving. The driver board is trying to dim the LEDs after the GI power saving timeout period but the circuitry used on the WPC era boards cannot dim LEDs very well.

If you want to keep the dimming function, you can get Herg's GI-OCD board. I wouldn't recommend spending the money for one for T2 as it doesn't make much use (if at all) of GI dimming during game play (looks to be simply on or off, NOT dimming). The GI-OCD board is really helpful on games like STTNG that make use of GI dimming during the game.

1 week later
#2795 9 years ago

Yep, I got that same "official" molded skull and ship from Mr. Pinball. They suck if you ever saw the real one.

The only place to get accurate skulls and ships is the old Pinball Inc now Starship Fantasy. The painting on them is not quite as good as factory but with a little touchup, it looks perfect! At least the mold they use is the same as the original skull.

http://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Terminator-2-Skull

http://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Terminator-2-Hunter-Killer-Ship

1 month later
#2891 9 years ago
Quoted from Flippermatt:

I am in the club
Have a problem with my T2 though which I do hope will be a minor one. The big skull doesn´t have any red lamps resembling the eyes. Upon removing the skull I see the whole skull is filled from the back with some kind of foam !! Probably to strenghten the inside back in the Days... I have now removed the foam grinding it away with my Dremmel tool.
I found that the bracket that should hold the lamps is missing. The Eyes have been painted from the outside on the foam with a red marker.. Not a very good job.
Can I get the bracket somewhere ? Is there a substitute MOD with nicer LED lamps available ?
Any hints, tips to go about this is highly appreciated.
Matt in Sweden
Post edited by Flippermatt: misspelling

Here is the bracket if you don't feel like making one. You still need a couple 555 sockets to rivet or screw to this bracket. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-10280

#2894 9 years ago
Quoted from aussie-steve:

hi guys just doing up my 1st t2 my question is --- on back of start button what holds the assembly to the button

The lamp and switch assembly (the white part in loscanones's picture) attaches with a couple latches to the button assembly (the black part). Gently pulling and rocking it back and forth will pull it off.

#2900 9 years ago

Push the 2 small white tabs that are right up next to the black cylinder and pull.

1 week later
#2957 9 years ago

As posted in this thread several pages ago, if you want accurate replacement ships or skulls, I can confirm the Pinball Inc. (now Starship Fantasy) are as close to the real deal as you can get... http://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Terminator-2-Skull

The Mr. Pinball and Marco ones USED to be the bad ones (don't know if that's true any more)

1 month later
#3141 9 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Late bump.... if I wiggle the connection from a ribbon cable on the back of the DMD it will work but goes back to all red. Any help appreciated.

Great Plains Electronics is a great source for replacement ribbon cables if your turn out to cause more problems. They also have lots of other common parts too.... https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=52

#3143 9 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Would replacing a cable usually fix these types of DMD issues?

If reseating the cables made the DMD work again, yes. The buzzing is fairly normal for some DMDs, unless it is very loud.

#3151 9 years ago

No one with any clues here? Where's my T2 brothers when I need a little help? Haha!

You should post a new thread in the pinside Tech: Modern Games forum to see if someone has ideas for you. You will get a lot more eyeballs on the question and maybe someone has seen this before.

#3162 9 years ago

Agrred, it's not a must have for me... Might be cooler if it was lit up with a shooter lane LED mod.

#3209 9 years ago

Try repeated testing of the solenoid in test mode and then repeatedly testing the gun trigger switch and the trough switch. You might be able to figure out which of the switches is not registering every time or if the coil is not firing every time.

I suspect the trough switch is not registering every time the ball rests on it which then prevents the plunger coil from firing.

#3221 9 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Thanks for that Schwaggs!
I did just that, tested the coil on repeat and it was not firing at all. All the other coils are ok, the fuses are all ok and Q58 seems to be testing ok (tested it off). As I mentioned the coil is new and has been working.
Any ideas what I can test next to find the root of the problem?
Cheers.

I would doublecheck the wiring for that coil (make sure power is getting to one side of the coil and that you have solid solder joints). Then if you verified Q58 is good, I would check Q57 (pre-driver).

3 weeks later
#3226 8 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I guess what I'm asking... in your opinion.. which looks better? Thanks

I have blue on my start button, looks great!

I ordered black rubbers but have not installed them yet to see how they look...

2 weeks later
#3279 8 years ago

Scott - the one LITZ has is available here and elsewhere on the net. http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/T2_Page.html

Not a cheap mod by any estimate...

#3280 8 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Hey guys recent club member, quick question wondering where to get the best skull and hunter ships? My ships all busted up and skull's seen better days so id like to replace them both

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

H/K - http://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Terminator-2-Hunter-Killer-Ship
Skull - http://www.starship-fantasy.com/ramps/Terminator-2-Skull

Lots of discussion on this earlier in this club thread. There are a couple different molds being used to make the ship and skull. The one Starship uses is closest to the real thing to me. The black painted accents can use some touching up but the molding is spot on.

#3282 8 years ago

Agree! Love to see how many alternating ramp shots I can get in a row! It's a great game to practice your rolling ramp shots!

#3319 8 years ago

I added four 5050 LEDs to provide blue under-glow to the H/K ship protector from Pinbits. Ran a wire down the H/K mounting wire and connected it to GI under the PF. It lights the center of the PF nicely.

#3326 8 years ago

I believe mine has security Torx bits. Not sure of the size... Maybe one if these: http://www.amazon.com/Torx-Driver-Security-T-10-T-40/dp/B0002SPLQ8

Hopefully someone can chime in and confirm the actual size for you...

2 weeks later
#3371 8 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Hi,
Need some T2 help.
What is the part number for the "yellowed post" on the image?

I don't think that yellow post sleeve is correct, it should be a black sleeve like the one next to it. I don't recall there being any yellow posts on T2.

#3388 8 years ago

also check the diode on the board for that socket.

If you are using LEDs, try a known working incandescent.

1 week later
#3438 8 years ago

Scampcamp, Both of the pictures you posted are how my T2 was before and after I shopped it. Only difference is I used black rubbers...

On the lane guide next to the skull, there is a small ring on the top star post (like the other lane guide posts) and the larger ring on the bottom star post. Without it, the ball will go into the bulbs to the left of that area.

Also, the rings on the metal posts on the right of the pops look correct except that there should be double rings on each of the areas.

#3440 8 years ago

NP! Also, I do believe you have to remove the right ramp to get to all the rubber parts under the plastics. You need to remove the plastic above the rings and I don't think you can get them off without taking the ramp out...

#3446 8 years ago
Quoted from Brandje:

@scampcamp,
Just did mine a few days ago, took everything off. I happened to take a pic, it's a bit far a way but you can zoom in, there are no star posts, and all rubbers are double
image.jpg

Actually, if you look closely, there are 3 double ring star posts in that area among the metal double ring posts....

#3447 8 years ago

Black rubber on t2 is just wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.

Agree to disagree... T2 looks much tougher with black rings! Tough guys don't wear white!

#3457 8 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Hey guys, seen this on eBay and figured it would be roughly same size as skull in game... What ya'll think? It's got the look, might be sweet with some led's in the eyes

Thanks for posting that these hit ebay! Someone that got one in the loot crate posted theirs a while ago and I could not find one at the time. I was able to find one BIN today for $11 with shipping, not bad! You might be able to do better if you waited for an auction to close. There are a ton of them out there now...

#3467 8 years ago

The auction I got included the CPU but there are several on ebay that only list the skull. So check carefully.

#3506 8 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Figured I would ask here first...just looking for a little knowledge before I pop the hood and go in....(first time stand-up target problem)...the middle 3 bank of stand-up's....one of them(right one) kind of flops around when hit (still registers)...so just wondering if something can be tightened to fix this or when this happens is it time to order a new one....Thank You.................Joey

There are 2 screws that hold the target bracket to the bottom of the playfield that can loosen up. Sometimes, in machines this old, the screw holes in the wood playfield can get worn and stripped out preventing the screws from tightening. If the holes are stripped, grab some wooden toothpicks or wooden matches, put some wood glue on the toothpick, stick it in the the stripped hole and break it off. Then screw everything back together.

Also, you can take a shot at tightening the target switch stack to the bracket. Some are riveted together, some are bolted.

#3513 8 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Does anyone have this skull surround plastic (lower in picture) plastic that they'd sell? Send me a PM. Thanks.

image.jpg

Mine like that is broken too. Just be aware that most T2 repro plastics out there at the moment do not have the correct fluorescent red ink. It is a flat red. On this piece, I don't think it will matter as much as the red part is way in the back.

#3537 8 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

The music is a nice touch, but those Arnold impressions are pretty bad.

Thats the beauty of the Pinsound board... you can use whatever sound clips you want for any event. You can put the original callouts back in and keep all the awesome soundtrack work that Endprodukt put into that mix.

Its just that compared to the high fidelity stereo soundtrack, the original mono, low bitrate callouts will sound like they are coming out of a tin can...

The Pinsound board appears to be crazy expensive but the fidelity and audio tuning options are awesome. You really don't need a speaker upgrade or sub-woofer (although, one still would help with the bass extension). You have total control of the backbox volume, bass and treble and the cabinet speaker volume, bass and treble. Made the stock speakers in my DE SW sound like a high end audio equipment... well... almost.... I do not feel the need to upgrade the speakers at least...

So for those of you willing to spend $150 or more on upgraded speakers, you may want to give the $340 Pinsound board a try first... You will get the benifit of better amps and more tuning options plus, you can (if you want) easily change out parts of the game's soundtrack.

2 weeks later
#3642 8 years ago
Quoted from kjgolf:

I bought my first pin, T2, but can't figure out if it plays correct as the ball drains many times between the pop bumper and right ramp down the center. Some games I will have three balls in a row. May I have opinions on whether this is typical

Not normal at all, especially the consistency you are seeing it. Since you have confirmed the machine is level left to right (you did measure this on the playfield, NOT the glass, right?), it must be due to the specific setup of your machine. My machine will hit the center target on the bank of 5 then hit somewhere on the bank of 3 targets.

1) You can try and adjust the front-to-back pitch a little lower. This will effect other aspects of game play so if you like the way it plays when the ball does not go SDTM, you may not want to try this option.
2) Check the rubbers where the ball feeds through before it goes SDTM. On mine, the clearance is tight and the ball slows down as it squeezes through that spot between the targets the the rubbers next to the right ramp. Is the ball slowing down there on your machine?
3) Try adjusting the mechanics of the shooter mechanism to lower its power slightly. Not sure what this adjustment would be, you will have to just have a look at it. Slightly less launch power should make the ball hit the 3 bank instead of shooting over it.
4) You can change the trajectory of the ball out of the shooter lane to possibly stop it from going into the pops. You do this by adjusting the curved metal ball guide that is on the outside end of the shooter lane. You remove the plastics above and remove the screws holding it to the playfield. Sometimes just pushing the lane guide one way or the other as you tighten the screws back down will be enough to change the trajectory of the ball. Other times you will need to remove the lane guide and bend it to make a change. Of course, changing the launch trajectory will avoid drains on launch but may still result in drains as the ball exits the pops during other parts of the game...
5) Purposely change the left to right pitch. Basically tip the machine slightly left or right to make the ball roll onto a flipper. This would be my last resort as it isn't the correct way to setup a machine.

#3683 8 years ago

VERY cool! Looks like you invested quite a bit of money and time in that beauty!

Whats with the gizmo under the plastic safety guard on the bottom left of the base cabinet?

1 month later
#3790 8 years ago

Welcome to the club! You have a nice looking T2 there!

You really can't move the gun manually, the gearing is just too high. You should start by dissasembling the gun mechanism, cleaning and lubricating the shaft that the gun pivots on that runs through the playfield. This is notorious for needing cleaning and can actually bind up the gun motor. There are some good threads on here that describe how to dissemble the gun mechanism, just search for them.

If you really need a new motor, prepare yourself as they are pricey...

#3793 8 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Just got the machine, manual is on the way...

You can download a PDF version of the file here: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2524 The diagram of the drop target is on page 2-23.

For the target not staying up, you should look at the latch on the target itself and the mate to the latch on the frame of the assembly. Part numbers 03-8033 and 03-8034

The switch is part 5647-12693-31 and there is supposed to be a diode on that switch. I suspect someone cut it off at some point to stop the switch from registering when the drop target stopped staying up...

#3811 8 years ago
Quoted from Navy_AT1:

Any thoughts on what I should do? I was an electrician in the navy... (circuits / dc/act/ component level type stuff) but this seems pretty jacked.

Yea, that is pretty jacked but not surprising for this title. These machines ran for years on end and those connectors were engineering poorly (right at current carrying capacity, etc). Get your soldering iron out and some heatshrink tubing to make those wire extensions solid. Make sure to use 18ga wire or better. Replace the connectors with Molex .156 crimp on connectors. Great place to get them is Great Plains https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=37

I would recommend the Trifurcon crimp on connectors Great Plains part number 08-52-0113

To do it right, you should replace the header pins on the driver board too (also available at GPE).

#3823 8 years ago

Just be aware that the slings on ebay do not have accurate colors. The fluorescent red (orange) isn't fluorescent.

1 week later
#3852 8 years ago
Quoted from Bob86ZZ4:

Pretty sure this power supply is only providing power to the board(s), the stock transformer is still powering everything else.

Agree that you should be able to power the boards and maybe the lamp matrix with the PC power supply. You would have to power the GI with the transformer (AC) as those circuits use SCRs to turn the lamps on and off. Also need high voltage winding from the transformer to power the DMD power supply as well as the solenoid power.

You COULD get a GI OCD to power the GI from a DC output of the PC power supply.

2 weeks later
#3883 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

Got the last coat of clear (unless I put another on) before the winter hit!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first/page/2#post-2758401

Thanks for linking your resoration thread in the club thread. You did a GREAT job!

4 weeks later
#3928 8 years ago
Quoted from ThiagoValdez:

Lemme know what you think! I'm pretty proud of it.

I'm thinking about offering to build/sell these to anyone on pinside who might be interested. If you're interested, lemme know here or PM me... trying to figure out of it's worth the work (if enough people are interested).

Wow, that is one awesome topper! Put me on the list for one, depending one what the price comes out to be.

1 month later
#4004 8 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I got mine from Starship Fantasy and it's decent.

+1 that is the best place to get one...

1 week later
#4025 8 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

On a side note, my auto plunger always hits the last target or sometimes the second last one - is that right?

Mine hits the center target too. If it bugs you, you can try and loosen the screws holding the metal ball guide on the outside of the shooter lane, slightly bend the curved part, reattach and test.

3 weeks later
#4067 8 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Any thoughts on what to try next?

Bad wiring harness with a broken wire that only breaks when the cannon is swung out from the home position?

Go into test and try firing the solenoid with the cannon away from the home position.

3 weeks later
#4100 8 years ago
Quoted from tua03520:

Thanks for your help and time. I’m completely new to this and have tried to figure this out as much as possible, but am now at an impasse.

Did you replace the diode on the trigger switch? Have you used your meter to verify the switch is closing when the trigger is pulled? Carefully inspect the wiring to, from and around the trigger switch.

#4106 8 years ago

If the holes are indeed stripped, easiest way to repair is to use a wooden match stick (or round toothpick), put a dab of glue on the match stick, jam it in the hole, break the match off flush with the top of the hole and screw it back together.

#4126 8 years ago

Not sure which with which molds the Marco parts are made but there is a visual difference between the starship parts and some of the others out there. If I were you, I contact starship and would wait until they are available from them.

If you can't wait, I'll sell you my brand new h/k ship and skull with painted teeth for $60 shipped con US. The skull was installed but removed almost right away. They both are from the less detailed molds. PM me if interested. Send me your mobile number if you want pictures.

#4140 8 years ago

Wow, that is one for the record books!

#4148 8 years ago

HUO, routed, whatever. Condition is king. Check cab and PF art for fading of the fluorescent ink. Check that the inserts are level (they like to raise or sink on T2). Check the cannon operation is smooth and swift. Check the cabling as it connects to the driver board for hacked up and/burned connectors.

#4150 8 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

How should it look? I am about to repaint some on mine and have matched the current color. But can easily make it different if it is more correct?

On the PF? For touch ups, I would just match what's there. Trying to repainted all that color on the PF will be a huge job!

1 month later
#4217 8 years ago

To improve the quality of the Arnold callouts when played through the pinsound board, you have to improve the quality of the source material which means re-recording them. You could use the originals with the pinsound board but the quality will not improve all that much.

Also, many of the things Arnold says in the pin, are not in the movie.

#4232 8 years ago

Nice! Love the black and the black rubbers. I always thought white rubbers looked out of place with this theme.

3 weeks later
#4334 7 years ago
Quoted from troxel:

I don't think it is. How do you tell?
I did notice the in switch mode I can hit the left flipper, it will go up, and not show anything in switch test. I then can push the flipper back down and repeat the same process.

Does it take any effort to push the flipper bat back down? If it just needs a little nudge and it drops back down, you have a mechanical issue and like TheOnlyest said, you need to look at the items he mentioned with the addition of the plunger and coil stop may be mushroomed. I would just rebuild both your flippers if you are so inclinded. All the parts you need are in this kit http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=980

2 weeks later
#4364 7 years ago
Quoted from Tachammer:

Please help. I was replacing a bulb in the start button of my T2 with the power on. I fried something and now get the errors in the picture. The start button doesn't work and a bunch of other issues with the coils now in test mode. Please break the bad news to me softly. I already learned my lesson about messing around with the power on. Thanks in advance.

Sorry man! Check the wiring that you messed with to ensure nothing is shorted then start here: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Switch_Matrix_Problems

#4368 7 years ago

Problem with repro decals is that they are typically inkjet printed which cannot print flourescent colors unless the operator has a high end printer that supports custom colors. Even then, I'm not sure if flourescent inks are available. If someone would make screen printed decals, like are available for some arcade titles, we could get the accurate colors. I saw one guy that had all the florescent parts cut out of florescent vinyl that he painstakingly applied over the inkjet printed background.

I have never been able to find cabinet decals with the correct florescent ink. If someone made them, I would consider restoring my faded cabinet.

1 month later
#4454 7 years ago

T2 has large inserts that are known to lift or sink so look for that. The paint on the teeth insert can flake off. Someone made a decal to cover the area to make it look better. I don't think the problem with the teeth is all that common.

1 week later
#4472 7 years ago

Good idea not trying to repair the GI connector on the WPC board if you don't have experience. When they get fried like this (as they all almost always do), the circuit board heats up and circuit traces typically come off the board when you remove the connector requiring trace repairs. If you go to LEDs, you might be able to only replace the pins and not the connector.

If you can't find someone local to repair the board, PM Andrew (barakandl) he does repair work and has a good reputation here.

3 weeks later
1 week later
#4498 7 years ago

Mine is broken too. Too bad the readily available replacements are $$$ and don't have fluorescent ink like the originals.

I wish someone would make decent reproduction plastics for T2.

#4504 7 years ago

Cool! Thanks for sharing. I too am in the LED ship mod camp. I built my own can't imagine the game without LED and flashers in it!

#4508 7 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I'm in the middle of a T2 project. I'll post photos once she's pretty again.

Ummmmm.... $100 each? WOW.

#4515 7 years ago

Yes, the GI connectors and related connector on the driver board are notorious for being burned or hacked up on this game and others of this era.

1 month later
#4565 7 years ago
Quoted from PinNoob37:

Finally have my machine put back together and of course the left side GI lights have gone out. I'm hoping it's just a fuse. That being the case, can I use these fuses from Radio Shack for a replacement? It's the only store I know of around me that carries them.
https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-5-0-amp-250v-1-x-slow-blow-fuse-2-pack?variant=20332289029
Also, I did a test a week ago, before I had the machine put together, the only thing that has changed is that I installed the Pinball Decals Ready Eye Mod with the dragon clips. Is it possible it blew the fuse?
BTW, my machine is a German re-import.

I never used those type fuses. Typically glass fuses are used - like this https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-5-0-amp-250v-1-x-slow-blow-fuse-4-pack?variant=20332268165

Totally probable that the alligator clips on that mod are what blew the fuse. You need to make sure they are carefully clipped on. You need to make sure they are not touching each other and that each clip is only touching one lead of the bulb socket.

#4574 7 years ago

You can contact the usual ROM sources to see if they can do the patched ROM. I would start with johnwartjr

2 weeks later
#4596 7 years ago
Quoted from kimzone:

Terminator 2 was my first pinball I just got it back from shop I just need do couple more stuff to complete the machine some mirror blades and fix couple mods

Looks cool, love it! Where did you get the translight?

#4609 7 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Sweet, looks like I'll be getting a PinSound board, hopefully ColorDMD does T2 soon too.

The original sound files with Arnold's voice only sounds marginally better with the board. To take full advantage of the board, you need higher fidelity sound files. There is a higher fidelity package someone made with an Arnold impersonator. Its cool but it doesn't sound right to me. Do yourself a favor and listen to the sound packages available for T2 before you spend the money.

#4644 7 years ago
Quoted from loscanones:

Cable management project started.
I always hated the way wires are routed around cabinet, so i decided to take action...
Coin door interface area is done and this is how it looks.

Wow, and I thought I was OCD! Very nice looking machine!

#4676 7 years ago
Quoted from loscanones:

Yeah, grounding strip was removed, it`s absolutely useless -from my point of view.
The only point where ground is connected is main junction box - the one containing main switch.
It`s the only place where live voltage can -hypothetically- touch metal or have a leakage.

Incredibly naive point of view. The line supply is not the only dangerous source of voltage in a pinball machine.

1 week later
#4707 7 years ago

Very tempting! My PF isn't the worst but am really excited to get new, color accurate cabinet decals.

1 month later
#4783 7 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

So my dmd started looking like this tonight. Game plays normally. You can tell what the dmd trying to display still but it's all jumbled. I've tried reseating all the connections but it didn't help. I have a spare dmd from my No Good Gofers...is that interchangeable with T2?

Yes they are interchangeable but I doubt that problem is with the actual DMD. You most likely have a bad ribbon cable leading to or from the DMD controller board. Can you borrow the cables from another machine to test? Look carefully at the pins to get them lined up properly and make sure you have pin 1 aligned on the same side of the cable (easiest to put the red tracer on the ribbon towards pin 1 on each board).

#4788 7 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

So my problem ended up being a loose ribbon cable connection at J601. All is well now. Thanks!

Congratulations on the fix! Glad you are back up and running!

#4795 7 years ago

Yes, the timer is standard. You only have so long to hit the skull.

I don't recall the 3rd multiball taking more than one shot to enable but its not something I see very often....

1 week later
#4808 7 years ago
Quoted from sc0ttf:

Hi Chris,
I purchase all my LED's from (http://www.cometpinball.com/) they are fantastic, and the owner is a really nice chap.
Great LED's, good price, great service.
Highly recommended.
Regards,
Scott

I second this recommendation. Great quality and price from Comet.

Definitely pick up some white LED flashers to replace the incandescents. It makes the game over light show a little more awesome, even more strobe light-like if that makes sense. Don't forget about the flashers in the backbox!

#4810 7 years ago

No soldering needed. All the GI bulbs are #44/47 bayonet type bulbs like the one on this FAQ page. Just push, twist and pull.

http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1858.htm

#4827 7 years ago

After ruling out the bulbs, check the bulb PCB for cold solder joints at the header since that is a very common problem and it's also very easy to fix. Sometimes the pads where the bulb socket screws in need to be reflowed as well if they are very worn.
I think a piece of mylar should work well to prevent the worn area from getting worse.

+1 as I shopped mine, I reflowed the solder on all the header pins on all the boards. No problems with random bulbs going out. If it has LEDs, you may have to check the LED wires are in the correct position on the 555 sockets too.

If you use Mylar on the wear spot, clean and wax the game first, then apply the mylar. This will make removing it a little easier someday.

1 week later
#4838 7 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

My machine tonight decided to shut down during a game and then reset itself. Turned it off and wouldn't come back on. I waited an hour and tried again. It turned on but then shut down during the game again. Any ideas what this would be?
Thanks in advance

When you say shutdown, do you mean it went blank then restarted like the game was just turned on?

The troublesome thing is when you turned it off, it wouldn't turn back on. This could be so many things. If you want to try and fix it yourself, I would start here: If that doesn't work, I would start a new thread for help:

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

#4841 7 years ago
Quoted from disctracker:

Does anyone know where to get a complete Skull kit for the Terminator 2 pinball game? I see a bunch of places selling just the skull, but unfortunately, I need the skull, brackets, and the electronics. Any ideas?
Thanks

I don't think anyone sells all those parts. Your best bet is to post a part wanted ad on Pinside or keep your eye on eBay.

1 month later
#4936 7 years ago

I have the Pinball Life eye lights and the look great! Agreed the kit costs way more than the sum of the raw materials but so do all turnkey items. If someone posted the part number for the trim rings (Home Depot, etc) and which LEDs to use, I might have gone that way. My time is worth more than what it would have cost me to research and buy a workable LED and trim ring for this.

3 weeks later
#5040 6 years ago

You have power problems on several circuits - solenoid, GI, inserts, flippers, etc. The chances that ALL these circuits flake out at the same time is low. Good news is the CPU and DMD still work (plays blind). This means 5V and regulated 12v is good (or the DMD and CPU would stop too).

My guess would be the short ribbon cable from the CPU to the driver board. Without a reliable connection on this ribbon cable, the commands to turn stuff on and off cannot make it to the driver board. Try re-seating this cable. If that does not improve, try flipping it around (changes the contact points and sometimes resolves bad connections).

#5042 6 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

That seemed to do the trick. I took the ribbon cable off and cleaned the pins. Arnold has been up and running fine for almost 2 hours straight now. Thanks schwaggs !

Great news, glad you are back up and running! Next time you are ordering parts, I would get a replacement for that ribbon cable. It might be only a matter of time before the problem returns.

2 weeks later
#5109 6 years ago

There is no setting to remove that sound, however, someone hacked the ROM to remove that attract noise so it's completely silent. It does not remove the sound from the actual match sequence so it's nicely done. Let me know if you need the file or a ROM burned.

To be clear, there is an on/off setting for attract sounds but as snakesparklers said, this setting will not eliminate the slamming sound. You need the hacked ROM for that.

1 week later
#5146 6 years ago

The flip/no-flip debate has come up before here. Last time this was debated, I thought mine didn't flip. However upon playing my T2, they do indeed flip. I think we are so engrossed in the game we don't really notice until we are paying attention.

T2 is pre-Fliptronics with a relay to enable and disable the flippers. So turning off the flipper relay to turning off the flippers during video mode would eliminate the path to ground through the cabinet's switches. Lack of the ground path would prevent the lane change circuit from functioning which would eliminate the CPU's ability to sense when a flipper button is pressed (see page 3-2 of the T2 manual). If the CPU can't detect when you hit the flipper button, the video mode can't work!

Therefore it is electrically impossible for a T2 NOT to flip the flippers during video mode.

1 month later
#5210 6 years ago
Quoted from Orange_Julius:

Have an issue i can't figure out. My right flipper can be flipped even when a game has not been started, also after a drain when the ball is loaded the flipper will flip, and sometimes the flipper will flip when I shoot the ball. Replaced the cap on the flipper switch no change, and the machine has no other issues. Looking for suggestions.

Take a close look at the flipper leaf switch on the inside right side of the cabinet. Seems like it might be rubbing on a metal piece of the playfield.

#5233 6 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

They (uv led strips from Comet) are on the GI circuit with the backbox lighting. The backbox stays on when everything else goes out. Lower uv led stripd are tied into the playfield terminator eyes---the one just above the flippers. I put a lot of thought into getting the effect I wanted.
Makes a fantastic scene at "game over"
Uv leds are so dim, the regular white led GI "drowns" them out during regular game play.
You really have to see it in person to appreciate it. Pictured do no justice. Anyone who's coming through PA is welcome to take a look.

Sounds like an awesome enhancement to the game over sequence! I'm going to try it on mine! Can you give me more info on where you put the LEDs and what types you used (3 LED strip, 7 led strip, single SMD, etc)

1 month later
#5352 6 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Does anyone have the issue where if you hit the drop target, the momentum from the ball will still take it into the skull? You'd think that the drop target would keep it from going in there in one shot, requiring you to make another shot into the skull.

This is pretty rare on mine but has happened. I agree that it is a combination of momentum and english on the ball.

I wonder if a new drop target plastic and latch or a new target retaining spring would make it less likely?

3 weeks later
#5418 6 years ago
Quoted from Vans:

Wondering if anyone knows how to shut off that annoying sound in attract mode?

Only way is to use a hacked version of the game ROMs.

1 month later
#5602 6 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Anyone know why T2 flipper coils use 2 return springs?? One on the plunger and one on the switch arm?
Seems to me it's a little excessive and prevents full range of motion.

That is not right. If you have the external spring, you do not use the one on the pawl. Someone assembled that flipper incorrectly.

#5604 6 years ago

schwaggs that someone was me... I was basing it on how this was previously constructed as I rebuilt them. Thank you for hr input!

Oh, I see. I thought your game came that way!

For the record, T2 came with the spring on the pawl from the factory and rebuild kits include that type spring.

A worthwhile upgrade (to me) is to toss the plunger spring in the spare part box, and add the spring bracket and external spring (like you did). That makes things much snappier.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1510

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=306

#5625 6 years ago

Ok all T2 owners need your help. I somehow missed getting a tight picture of this skull area during the teardown. These 2 dimples, a screw of some kind goes in them and I know it has to do the plastics... but I don't what specifically. Any help would be awesome!

I think its a regular sheet metal screw through the plastics in that area into the PF. Are you looking for the specific length and/or type?

#5633 6 years ago

That piece has been missing from my T2 since I got it years ago. I've never had a problem.

2 weeks later
#5680 6 years ago

Are repro playfields still available or are they sold out?

They were only made if you ordered one, I believe. You can contact him and see if there is a possibility of a re-run.

#5681 6 years ago

I’ve got a line on a reimport T2 from France. Cabinet solid sans minor scuffs as usual. Translite solid. Playfield has raised inserts pretty high up. Hunter ship missing. Broken plastics all over. It turns on with lots of GI out. No keys so couldnt see the boards. DMD has lots of lines in it. But it cycles through and can hear/decipher attract mode. Maybe loose cable?
Other than the obvious “as cheap as possible” reply, what would be an appropriate price to pay?

Lines in the DMD could be cables but there is a good chance it is not. I would plan on replacing it when you work out an offer.

How is the PF other than the raised inserts? if there isn't any wear, could you be happy by just pushing them back down and gluing them in place?

Color accurate plastics are unobtainable. The available replacements are unlicensed and have straight red ink as opposed to the UV reactive stock ink that matches the PF insert circles. There is little chance for an official set being done as it will need Arnold's permission.

The H/K ship can be had and you have several options there. You could go with a factory replacement or adapt one of the more detailed models.

#5683 6 years ago

Playfield has some wear in addition to the inserts raised.

Then I would say sub $1500 for sure. I would bring a drill and drill out the locks so you can see the boards and get a closer look at the playfield so you can figure out how far below $1500. What are they asking for it?

#5685 6 years ago

I love fixing up and repairing games and would jump on that.

#5691 6 years ago

Even without seeing the boards?

Yes but I do my own board repair so that wouldn't concern me. If you don't want to, there are replacement CPU boards you can get.

I guess my thinking is that it is a $2000 game once it is cleaned up and working. If you have to put some $ into boards, a few parts and a DMD, you are sill making money or worst case, breaking even.

2 weeks later
#5726 6 years ago
Quoted from nicknack66:

Thanks all for the LED GI light suggestions. As YPURCHN said, looks like it's a matter of personal taste. I have some warm whites in another pin so I think I'll swap those into the T2 to see how it looks and from there decide to stay with that or try cool white.

I used Sunlight on my T2 and really like it. Not too blue and not too yellow, it is just right! But I agree with what the others have said, Sunlight would be too white for some themes.

#5732 6 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Hi all!
I got some great news, Peter who did the T2 playfields are thinking about doing a second run! So if you want new shiny great looking playfield. Please let him know and sign up for one
He is currently talking about July so you have plenty of time to save up.

Man I wish... They are spendy but man, do they look nice! Makes me wish I had a totally roached T2 to put one in...

#5741 6 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Beginning of December he said today. They will be silk screened with fluorescent color.

Yes, please! Where did he say this and how do I get on that list?

Edit: found the signup page: http://www.buthamburg.de/playfields/playfields.html

#5756 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

T2 has both a latch AND bolts inside the head.

Most WPC era games have the wing nut looking bolts in addition to the latch. Most people don't use the bolts or even know they are supposed to be installed.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9718

1 week later
#5826 6 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

Has anyone tried to run the gun handle through a vibrating tumbler? Mine is in good, not great shape, and I was hoping to avoid re-plating. I'm quite OCD about having machines in great condition.

I have not. I'm not sure the gunk that gets caught in the knurling will come off in a tumbler. When I cleaned up mine, I used Maas metal polish to clean and polish. Upon inspection from the wife, she said it was still dirty even though it looked good to me! She pointed out all the gunk in the knurling that I over looked. I used a pick to manually scrape all the DNA out of the knurling, one row at a time and used a toothbrush to get the rest. Looked much better. If I did one today, I would use the ultrasonic cleaner with some TSP. I suspect that would have cleaned it right up a lot easier.

After you have it clean, you can polish by hand or try the tumbler. Either will shine it up nicely but I don't think that will make it perfect if you have bad chrome plating.

3 weeks later
#5920 6 years ago
Quoted from Buthamburg:

We are starting the Plastic set in January. Genuin Silkscreen.
We wish all a Merry Chrismas and all the best for 2018
Regards from Hamburg
Peter

I can't wait for your plastic sets. My cabinet decal set is still in route and I can't wait to see it also!

Accurate spot colors, especially for the fluorescent red/orange, are really going to make these silk screened parts look awesome!

4 months later
#6428 5 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

So i have done some research and cant really find a good answer. My T2 has started to ghost the playfield lights when I push the flippers, launch the ball, when the ball drops or moves around the playfield. No all lights do it. Seems like mostly the right side chase loop lights, and the right side insert lights that lead to the right lamp. I am using Comet non ghosting lights in all of them. I have a Rottendog driver board. All the connectors for all the boards are in good shape. The machine has only started doing this in the last week. I have checked under the playfield and cant find any touching wires or anything out of the ordinary. I have done a lamp test and all the lamps test good.

The boards on T2 that hold many of the insert lamps under the playfield are notorious for cold solder joints on the header pins. While not usually attributed to causing ghosting, it might be a good place to start. Simply remove the lamp board and reflow the solder to the header pins for the connector(s) on the board.

Also my special inserts lamps in the left and right drains work but during game play there is never a special lit. Hope this make sence.

When you say "they work" do you mean they are lit during the game even though a special has not been earned? Or do you mean you have never seen them lit during a game. If the second case, Steve Ritchie would say..... "Play better!"

#6445 5 years ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

Home Depot does have them too in the electrical aisle

I just picked some up from there last week. 100% identical to the ones used in my '80 something Atari video games. I guess why change a good thing!

1 month later
#6576 5 years ago

Mine is square on the top corners (well, actually very slightly rounded) and 45 on the bottom.

It is probable there were many manufacturers of these cabinets and possible there were variances between manufacturers.

#6584 5 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Are there T2 / WPC schematics available in PDF format for download somewhere? Aside, of course, from the scanty ones at the end of the T2 manual.

I use the file from IPDB on the Getaway page: http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=getaway&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1000

#6587 5 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Thanks Schwaggs. I assume those are generic for all WPC titles and not specific to Getaway?

They are up to WPC-S. There may be some boards included in specific games that are not in that document (sometimes these are in the game manual) and the wiring for a specific game may be different but that document has schematics for the base WPC boards.

3 weeks later
#6651 5 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Thank you... if a leg doesn't have that permanent nut on top... would I put a nut on the top & bottom?

That leg would be broken. Some legs simply have the metal threaded, others have a nut welded on the top (like your picture). If the metal is striped or the nut broken off, you can certainly put a nut on the top to stabilize the leveler.

1 month later
#6742 5 years ago
Quoted from Buthamburg:

Hello to all
We can now announce that the Terminator 2 plastic sets are now ready for shipping.
The plastics are genuine Silk Screened with fluorescent orange / red. The complete
art work has been redone from scans of the original films used by Bally Williams.
These plastics are fully licensed.
The picture is showing all the plastics contained in the set.
Here is a list with the price shipped to your country for
1 Set of Terminator Plastic set. The Plastic Set will be sent via air mail
and insured.
USA. Euro 190
AUS. Euro 195
CAN. Euro 190
EC. Euro 210,63
DE. Euro 196,35
If you wish to purchase a set of Terminator 2 plastics set, please send me an email directly to
peter(at)buthamburg.de
Sorry to those whom have waited so long, thank you for your patients.
We are busy modifying our production facilities, it will still take some time
until we are finished. The biggest work is done and we can start to concentrate
on our projects again.
Terminator 2 Playfields are primered, we are waiting for an appointment at
the printers shop.
Regards from Hamburg
Peter
B&T Automaten Vertr.
Brunner & Tuazon GmbH
Ringstr. 43
22145 Hamburg
Germany
Web: www.buthamburg.de[quoted image]

Thanks for making these for us Peter!

#6759 5 years ago
Quoted from SDAmusements:

Going to look at a T2 today and some of the inserts have chipping around them, and some other chips on the playfield, is that normal for this game?
[quoted image][quoted image]

The large rectangular inserts on many games have shifted for some reason. It is a common issue since they are such large inserts. I wouldn't say all games have shifted inserts but some do. I think it all has to do with how the game was treated over its life (i.e. temp controlled storage or not, etc).

3 months later
#6902 5 years ago
Quoted from nugsy:

What might a T2 veteran recommend looking into next? T2 is for all intents and purposes my very first pin and I am learning a lot about repair as I go. Any advice is welcome

Reflow the solder on the header pins on the light boards. These boards are notorious for developing cold solder joints over time.

Reflow the solder on the light socket pads. Over time, the brass pads from the socket creates dents in the solder on the board. Reflowing solder erases these dents and makes the connection reliable.

1 month later
#6950 5 years ago
Quoted from Azfalconfixer:

Picked a semi rough T2 last night. 5 hour drive each direction. Of course when I talked to him it was in perfect condition and needed nothing. I had a feeling it was going to be rough when I asked him the condition of the batteries and he said what batteries? So it needs some TLC and lots of cleaning.
Hunter ship broke
Skull broke
Two pop bumpers don't work
Back box lights don't work - What should a look at???
[quoted image]

Congrats and welcome to the club!

For the GI - check F109 and F110. Check driver board J120 and J121 for burned connectors. Very common on this title. If there are signs of heat, replace the header pins on the board and the IDC connector with a molex connector with trifuricon pins.

#6954 5 years ago

J115 board side and cable side have been replaced.
J120 board side and cable side have been replaced.
J121 looks good
Fuses are good
Ok electrical is not my strong suit on these.
I get 7.5vac on both sides of the GI bulbs if I go to ground but no light.
Noticed that pins 1&2 are soldered together on J120. Don't know if that effects anything?

You need to measure AC from each leg of the AC source, not ground. So for GI circuits, set your meter to AC and put a probe on each side of the GI bulb socket (solder lugs).

J120 Pins 1 and 2 should not be soldered together and is the most likely cause for the backboard lights being out. You need to remove that short and make sure J120 and J121 are wired correctly. Having those 2 pins shorted could have burned out the driver Triacs for those GI strings.

#6960 5 years ago

- Ok so I got all the back box GI lights working.
- The back box flashers mostly was burned out bulbs. Got most of them working.
- Still have an issue with one flasher blub in the back box and playfield that stay on all the time. They come on as soon as the machine is turned on. Going through the schematic it's transistor's Q34 and Q33. Ohm'd them out and they seem to check good (they check the same as the rest around them). Diodes and resisters seem to check ok. Nothing looks burned or that it got hot. U3 IC looks like it has been replaced. Ohm'd it out the best I could and seems to be ok.
Not sure where to look from here?
For now I've removed these two bulbs.[quoted image]

Use a logic probe to look for a stuck bit into or out of U3. If it is truly stuck, you might be able to see it with a meter if you don't have a logic probe.

You should see 5V when OFF and 0V when on.

#6962 5 years ago

I don't have a logic probe. I'll get one and figure out how to use it. I measured voltage the pin 9 on U3 and there is 5v. Not sure if that's good or bad?

5V is what I would expect to see there when the circuit was off. This implies U3 is working. I would replace the pre-driver and driver transistors for that circuit. Even though they tested similar to those around them, sometimes the bias resistors in the circuitry around them masks a bad part. This is especially true for the pre-driver.

If you want to wait for the logic probe, we can confirm it is the transistor(s).

#6964 5 years ago

Replaced two transistors (Q33 and Q34) now all the flashers work.
Thanks for the help!!

Awesome! Congrats on the fix!

1 month later
#7085 5 years ago
Quoted from Ortarf:

All my lights on my T2 work except the flashers under the ship. I have tried everything multiple lights Led/incodesent, flashers and regular. It is a T10 end and their is 2 of them. Got everything to light up when testing except these. Under flashers in test mode I can’t get T-25 to go and assume this is it. All wires good and sordered any ideas how to fix this or were to start?
All other lights work see pictures they are under ship in crack. Original bulbs were larger.

Not sure what you mean by the flasher is a T10 end. They should either be #89 or #906 bulbs. First, make sure you have the correct bulb installed. These are 13V bulbs. Lower voltage bulbs will burn out so fast you may not even see a flash.

If you are sure you have the right bulb, you can test your wiring by using a piece of wire to quickly ground the tab on the driver transistor. I can't really tell which area you are referring to but the 2 closest to that spot are the Left Lock Flashlamp (solenoid 25) and Targets Flashlamps (solenoid 20).

Put one end of the wire on ground and quickly tap the other end on the tab of the driver transsitor. DO NOT hold it on the tab or you will burn out the bulbs. Solenoid 20 is Q36 and Solenoid 25 is Q26. Both on the driver board.

3 weeks later
#7098 5 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Thanks,
Is there a difference between the yellow striped wires, how do I know which on goes where.

All the yellow wires are the same and all the yellow w/white are the same. There are multiple wires of each color running back to the transformer to carry the load.

#7103 5 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

The white plugs do not have the required specification and burn due to the high current flow of the GI.
If you want the Powerdriver to last permanently, you have to reduce the power of the lighting (LED), or change to the black connectors!
[quoted image]

The other end of the connection is more important than the pins. Tin plated Phosphor Bronze type crimp on contacts increases the current carrying capacity (7A vs 4.5A for the tin plated). Also consider Trifuricon that contacts the pins on 3 sides instead of 1.

There are also MarKK contacts (and associated special housings) that contact the pins on all 4 sides that have the highest capacity (13A).

All these work with the same .156 pins.

#7106 5 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

So I'm having an intermittent issue that's getting on my nerves (and tragically robbed my wife of her highest score ever) ... sometimes during play, the white lights under the Hunter Killer ship (you know, the ones for ball launch skill shot and cannon targeting) drop out randomly. For example, we'll get the cannon loaded up, but no light(s) come on. 9 times out of 10 when it happens, it's usually during the cannon shot, but I have seen it a few times during initial ball launch as well. I disconnected / reseated the connectors on both the light board underneath, and in the backbox, but it's still happening. Of course, it doesn't happen consistently. Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Could also be a switch that is gapped too tight, qualifying the ball before it actually makes it to the playfield.

#7111 5 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

My flipper rebuild kit with new flippers came today (those that came with mine were shot and mismatched). So this def looks like it’s taking care of the problem.
My board is being worked on so no power but my left flipper was sticking and it’s really slamming back now
Question - started to put the right one back together Got the old stuff off. New swtich and end stop on. Grommet thru playfield all in. Just ready to put it all back together and then the old sleeve won’t come out. Ugh. It’s breaking off at the end. Last thing and I’m Dunn then this. Lol.
Any slick way to get that out? The left one going in was tight as well.
[quoted image]

Rule of thumb is if the old one is coming out that hard, the new one will go in just as hard. This is a sign the coil was overheated, shrinking the core. Usually a sign the coil should be replaced.

To get that insert out, push a cylindrical tool (awl, small screw driver, etc) between the coil former and the sleeve. You will collapse (kink) or crack the sleeve, making it super easy to remove.

1 week later
#7121 5 years ago

Can this be fixed? Its a Driver board for a T2. As far as I can tell its the original board for the machine. I have replaced it with a Rottendog, but would like to have this one fixed so I can put it back in if need be.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That is an easy fix and a common problem on this driver board. New header pins and maybe some jumper wires to patch the burned traces.

1 month later
#7185 5 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Trying to figure out if I have a problem with mine, or just buggy software: do you guys frequently have multiball rounds end unexpectedly/jackpots seem to cancel out before shooting the cannon?
Everything works normally with mine, all switches test out going through each in the edges test. I don't think it's just losing track of balls or a normal trough switch issue and thinking I've drained, as the ball doesn't end and I've never had it think I drained improperly in single ball play. But I guess I will recheck those. I also don't think it has ever offered the pity jackpot grace period to load the cannon either when it does this... it's just boom back in single ball gameplay. Several times I've started payback time right in the middle of a multiball, I was thinking that shouldn't be happening.

Not normal for sure. I don't think I've seen that on my game. Maybe you have a switch that is gapped too close that phantom scores when the VUK or another solenoid fires? Try gently pounding the playfield in various areas when in switch edge test to see if something scores? The jackpot issue could be an intermittent wire to the "ball loaded switch" on the cannon that breaks (opens) when the cannon turns...

2 weeks later
#7212 4 years ago
Quoted from Asanteiro:

I think I know what the problem is ... the flat ribbon cables that are connected to the plates ... I adjust them and the sound is normalized ... will that be it?
I hope comments
Thank you

Bad or intermittent ribbon cable connection can cause all sorts of issues so likely yes. However, since you fixed it by adjusting the cables, the problem will likely come back over time.

Might want to use some contact cleaner on all the ribbon cable connections and/or order some replacement cables. The problem may be on the sound board end, or the other end, or the connection in the middle. That is why you should clean ALL the ribbon cable connections.

2 weeks later
#7235 4 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

What battery solution should I use to replace this?
Are people using the nvram? Or?
I am not a fan of the remote battery holder. Not that it does not work but would rather have another solution for my beloved T2.
[quoted image]

NVRAM is cheap on WPC and up games. The chip with the serial number sticker is the RAM chip that you would replace with NVRAM. Biggest risk is pulling the RAM chip and soldering in a socket. The traces on WPC era boards are small and fragile. I suggest finding someone with experience to perform the installation. If you are in the Atlanta area, I'll do it for you!

#7240 4 years ago

Or

Andrew's site:

https://nvram.weebly.com/

Look for 6264

If you have several WPC and newer games, you could also go the route of using RAMTRON drop-in replacements FM1608-120-PG (about $2.50 each shipped in quantity 10). These are a crap shoot with the life they may have left in them since they are used and pulled from old equipment. I bought 20 of them, installed them in all my compatible games (up through 2000's era stern games) and will swap them out if they ever get flakey.

If you only have one game, get the new NVRAM part. Best $15 mod you will ever install!

2 weeks later
#7284 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

I should have taken before photos before the cleaning. I had to wire brush the scum out of the once black grip. Gross...
The fricken gun off the game is heavier than most real guns. Do some games have plastic guns or are they all metal?[quoted image]

Looks great! After I finished cleaning mine when I first picked up my T2, my wife asked if I was going to clean the gun handle. I told her I just finished cleaning it! She pointed out all the "organic material" in the cross-hatching. I used a pick to scrape out a disturbing amount of additional stuff! :0

I've never seen anything other than metal on Williams game from this era.

#7303 4 years ago
Quoted from nugsy:

My T2 won't boot and I am having some trouble figuring out where to start. It turns on, everything lights up except the DMD, and you can hear the game go into attract mode through the speakers with the *thud thud* sound. However, you cannot start a game - something that I was told indicates that the machine is not booting up properly.
I checked all the display connectors in the head and none of them were burned or obviously broken. I didn't have a ton of time today, but I took my multimeter and measured the voltage of the J604 connector from the display driver board to the DMD. Every rail except for +5V was giving out crazy numbers. The +5V pin was seemingly totally unaffected and was stable at 4.98V during attract mode.
How should I continue to trace this issue further when I get a little more time this week? Should I check the voltage on the pins going to the display driver board from the power driver board? I feel like it has to be an issue with the display driver rather than the power driver since the rest of the game seems to come alive just fine. I checked the fuse panels and did not see any blown fuses. If there is anything I can take a picture of to help, please let me know, the extent of my repair work so far has been reflowing lamp sockets and resoldering bad joints on the stand up target banks.

What were the crazy numbers? First step is to confirm proper voltages are being supplied by the DMD driver board. Make sure to set your meter on the proper range. There should be over 100V DC there. Be careful!

Check with your meter, all the fuses on the DMD board to make sure they are good.

If you are getting attract sounds and attract patterns in the inserts on the playfield, the game is booting and your problem is a display issue.

2 weeks later
#7323 4 years ago
Quoted from nugsy:

OK so the F602 fuse was a good place to start, but not the solution. The replacement fuse I put in there blew immediately when I turned the game on. I am still getting attract sounds/flashers when the game turns on. I infer from this that the problem is likely specifically with the DMD driver board. My plan now is going mounted component by mounted component and looking for discrepancies from the stated values in the manual.
Looking at the schematic, F602 is the first place power arrives from header J605 (the AC transformer). Does that mean I should specifically be looking at the transformer? Or can the fuse be blown due to a component issue on the driver board as well?

Unlikely the transformer is the cause of you fuse blowing. Much more likely the cause is on the DMD driver board or the DMD itself. You can try replacing the fuse again and turning it on without the DMD connected. If it doesn’t blow again, check the voltages the DMD driver board is generating. Might just be worth it to buy a power section rebuild kit from GPE or similar.

1 month later
#7387 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Here’s why my T2 had poor left speaker sound...
It was stuffed in between the speaker and the grill.[quoted image]

Wow, that is an odd one!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Harrisburg, PA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-clubmembers-only?tu=Schwaggs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.