(Topic ID: 94651)

[[Business Sold]] - Custom Chrome Cap Decals [For LED Bumpers]....

By Jean-Luc-Picard

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 470 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by E_N_3
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I would like some JLP Pop Cap Decals even if they only ship every 2 weeks!”

• yes 11 votes
    92%
  • no 0 votes
  • Why not, after more beer! 1 vote
    8%

(12 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

metal-mods_promo_(resized).jpg
JLP_pins_(resized).jpg
store_closed.gif
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
tftc_rat.jpg
tftc_guillotine.jpg
tftc_bat.jpg
slap.gif
shutup.gif
BramStokerDracula.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
T2.jpg
There are 470 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.
#201 9 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

If possible I think the guns would look better if the were straight instead of facing up.the handles should cross each other. Take a look at their logo and you will see what I mean. Just my opinion.the guns also should be western or six shooter type . This would also look better.

I notice the also use this logo with the guns crossing barrels. The reason this works better is because it fills the circle better compared to horizontal. I will add a few variations with the new revolver.

grexample_1.jpggrexample_1.jpg

#202 9 years ago

So, Issue with having the grips overlapping is since we are cutting out a solid shape it turns into a pair of bull horns. I could add some extra cuts to define the grips but it also has to be scaled down rather small to fit. Some more concepts.

gnr_R2_4.jpggnr_R2_4.jpg
gnr_R2_2.jpggnr_R2_2.jpg
gnr_R2_3.jpggnr_R2_3.jpg
gnr_R2_1.jpggnr_R2_1.jpg
horiz.jpghoriz.jpg

#203 9 years ago

Number 5 looks to be the best.

#204 9 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Number 5 looks to be the best.

Sounds good, I will turn this one into cad lines. If anyone has any thoughts on AFM and DM let me know, otherwise I will prep them as well.

EDIT: If you would pick (2) what would the other be. Be happy to provide another one as well.

#205 9 years ago

I forgot to post a thank you. I love my BK2K Chrome Caps! Thanks again JLP!

IMG_2793.JPGIMG_2793.JPG

#206 9 years ago
Quoted from BriPin:

I forgot to post a thank you. I love my BK2K Chrome Caps! Thanks again JLP!

SWEEET! that is the first time I have seen them installed. Looks really cool It's an army of knights!! lol

#207 9 years ago

And I might even order the four bolts version to go with red/white caps for yet another look!

#208 9 years ago

"You can do it, You can do it"

#209 9 years ago

Just wanted to post a Thank You to Art & Comet Pinball for adding me to the Mod page. The best part about this mod is it combines the community. Share ideas, opinions and make something custom...

http://www.cometpinball.com/Comet-Pinball-Pinball-Mod-Links-s/1851.htm

#210 9 years ago

Have you tried doing any Stern ones? I'd be keen on something for IM that's a cheap alternative to the premium ones by Hooked and Pinball Life's Arc Reactor set.

#211 9 years ago

These look great, I'd love to see something done for Tron! I know someone out there makes custom molded caps in similar style, but I'm not keen on the fact they all say "TRON" on them.. it's kinda redundant. Also with this, it would give me the opportunity to play around with different coloured caps -- Blue (sam), orange (clu), white (flynn)

Identity_disc.gifIdentity_disc.gif

#212 9 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Have you tried doing any Stern ones? I'd be keen on something for IM that's a cheap alternative to the premium ones by Hooked and Pinball Life's Arc Reactor set.

I have not made any for stern yet. However I would like to make them for Stern and Sega. Are the caps the same size as the Williams?

Quoted from pinball_customs:

hese look great, I'd love to see something done for Tron! I know someone out there makes custom molded caps in similar style, but I'm not keen on the fact they all say "TRON" on them.. it's kinda redundant. Also with this, it would give me the opportunity to play around with different coloured caps -- Blue (sam), orange (clu), white (flynn)

I would need to experiment with adding grooves/notches to the outside ring. If its minimal it should be fine. But I would have to be careful on how much I cut away so it doesn't become unstable.

#213 9 years ago

Capt' - no Sterns usually use cheap plastic substitutes. IE a sheet of plastic with a dome.
I'm not sure a standard popcap will even fit in the star trek. I don't know about Tron.

#214 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Capt' - no Sterns usually use cheap plastic substitutes. IE a sheet of plastic with a dome.
I'm not sure a standard popcap will even fit in the Star Trek. I don't know about Tron.

Ehh, Stern... Why cant you be more like Williams/Bally. Or Data East, or Gottlieb or even Sega. lol

#215 9 years ago

From what I recall, the Bally / WMS caps fit on a Stern. I'll have to double check.

- B

#216 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

From what I recall, the Bally / WMS caps fit on a Stern. I'll have to double check.

They probably DO fit on the bumper body - that's what my recent experience says..
The problem is the plastics around the bumper(s). The plastics may make it a tight or impossible fit.

#217 9 years ago

I believe the Stern ones have changed over time. The ones for IM are simple little discs. You'd just have to pre cut the holes for the screws and rivets.

// Error: Image 292566 not found //

// Error: Image 292567 not found //

#218 9 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

I believe the Stern ones have changes over time. The ones for IM are simple little discs. You'd just have to pre cut the holes for the screws and rivets.

Yes they have the simple little discs but the pop bodies have the same screw spacing as a regular cap so even though the discs are small the screw holes are in the same place. Like Zitt said the surrounding plastics would probably get in the way, that's why the discs are small. I think that's right.

I had the same small discs on my Avatar LE so to jazz them up I put the small domes on them and I did have to carve one of the plastics up a little to make it work and make the center hole where the led poked through the pop discs and drill 2 small holes for the screws. It sure did make the game look more modern though.
IMGA0141.JPGIMGA0141.JPG
IMGA0143.JPGIMGA0143.JPG
IMGA0144.JPGIMGA0144.JPG
IMGA0160.JPGIMGA0160.JPG

This is the one I had to carve the plastic away with a Dremel.

IMGA0169.JPGIMGA0169.JPG

Sorry for going off topic.

#219 9 years ago

Edit: ^^^^ Mustang Paul beat me to it.

The IM ones look like this. A flat plastic disc with screw holes.

image-580.jpgimage-580.jpg

image-214.jpgimage-214.jpg

#220 9 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

The IM ones look like this. A flat plastic disc with screw holes.

Oh heck it's only plastic........get the Dremel out.

I wonder if Comets light rings would work on our discs.

#221 9 years ago

No. Comet Ring lights fit on the outer the lip of the cap. They won't work.

Star Trek Stern... poprivets those domes to another flat plastic to make up a cap. Anything to scrape off another 20-30cents off a 8000 dollar game.

#222 9 years ago

Wow, I guess I never noticed the caps on Sterns. The only stern I have is TSPP. But the smoke stacks are pretty cool. But I have to say Williams/Bally style caps are the only way to go. Sterns look so cheap in comparison.

I think you could still hot glue the rings if the disc if it is wide enough?

#223 9 years ago

Anybody got a led ring and a Stern disc? Jean Luc here's an idea, maybe you could offer a clear or colored plastic disc that the rings AND your custom decals would fit on a newer Stern disc style pop bumper. Just a thought.

#224 9 years ago

I'll check when I get my Comet Rings - hopefully tomorrow... but I'm about 80% sure the inner diameter of the ring will easily slide OVER the disk. So, nothing to hot glue to.

What we need is a "smaller" ring; but I'm also somewhat sure that the LEDs on the ring bottom will be an interference problem with pop ring (the mechanical thing which pops the ball). If it doesn't; you still have the problem of shadows due to the ring. I'm not sure I'd want the led spotlighting the mechanical pop ring.

I've spend quite a bit of time with those stern pops for my Star Trek PopCaps. That's why I'm designing a custom board which fits inside the body of the pop.

#225 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Anybody got a led ring and a Stern disc? Jean Luc here's an idea, maybe you could offer a clear or colored plastic disc that the rings AND your custom decals would fit on a newer Stern disc style pop bumper. Just a thought.

If it is that simple I would be glad to offer that. I could use my friends CNC machine or just make a jig and use a hole saw bit without the center bit. I guess I could remove my TSPP smoke stacks to test with.

The cool part is, the disc is flat. So it could be a completely custom design that utilizes the entire disc and not just the center like the Williams type.

#226 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'll check when I get my Comet Rings - hopefully tomorrow... but I'm about 80% sure the inner diameter of the ring will easily slide OVER the disk. So, nothing to hot glue to.

What we need is a "smaller" ring; but I'm also somewhat sure that the LEDs on the ring bottom will be an interference problem with pop ring (the mechanical thing which pops the ball). If it doesn't; you still have the problem of shadows due to the ring. I'm not sure I'd want the led spotlighting the mechanical pop ring.

I've spend quite a bit of time with those stern pops for my Star Trek PopCaps. That's why I'm designing a custom board which fits inside the body of the pop.

To the sounds of it, I think we would just need to provide a spacer to allow clearance for the ring?

#227 9 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

To the sounds of it, I think we would just need to provide a spacer to allow clearance for the ring?

Like I said; I think the ring is bigger than the stock cap. Which means it'll interfere with the plastics just like a Williams cap would. But no use arguing about it... when I get a ring in... I'll do a quick check.

#228 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Like I said; I think the ring is bigger than the stock cap. Which means it'll interfere with the plastics just like a Williams cap would. But no use arguing about it... when I get a ring in... I'll do a quick check.

Oh my bad, I missed that. I was multi-tasking tying to figure out why my Star Trek 25th was blowing fusees lol. But now both the caps and fuses are figured out.

#229 9 years ago

Now that you have the cutting machine, you can really go nuts and make all sorts of stuff for us. Mylar shapes, target decals, plastics decals etc. how about a video of the machine in action. Everyone loves a good mod manufacturing video.

#230 9 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Now that you have the cutting machine, you can really go nuts and make all sorts of stuff for us. Mylar shapes, target decals, plastics decals etc. how about a video of the machine in action. Everyone loves a good mod manufacturing video.

I would love to make more items but the chrome decals can be time consuming as is. My career can be very demanding without notice so I cant go too deep down the rabbit hole. It is crazy how precious time really is. I may make a video, but in the meantime think of a robotic surgeon that can make cuts at high-res. It works like a printer but with a blade.

#231 9 years ago

I would love to make more items but the chrome decals can be time consuming as is. My career can be very demanding without notice so I cant go too deep down the rabbit hole. It is crazy how precious time really is. I may make a video, but in the meantime think of a robotic surgeon that can make cuts at high-res. It works like a printer but with a blade.

No worries. I'll keep an eye on the website.

#232 9 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

No worries. I'll keep an eye on the website.

btw, Lived in Sydney for almost 3 years, never saw any pins and I would like to think I found myself in most of the pubs and arcades. Was awhile ago so I assume the pin community has grown. Where are the pins at in Sydney now days?

#233 9 years ago

Huh! How about that. Sydney's going strong at the moment with most of the action in the City, Inner West and Eastern Suburbs. New locations are popping up every month with new locations north of the bridge and soon in Campbelltown. The good thing is that all of the operators are actively taking responsibility for their business and the hobby by running leagues and tournaments. Social media is a big part of the strategy. There is more than enough happening now in pinball in Sydney where one can't attend all the events that are occuring, whereas a year ago it was hard to find anything outside of the stalwart zball league out of Newtown. Were you sent here for work?

image-71.jpgimage-71.jpg

#234 9 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Huh! How about that. Sydney's going strong at the moment with most of the action in the City, Inner West and Eastern Suburbs. New locations are popping up every month with new locations north of the bridge and soon in Campbelltown. The good thing is that all of the operators are actively taking responsibility for their business and the hobby by running leagues and tournaments. Social media is a big part of the strategy. There is more than enough happening now in pinball in Sydney where one can't attend all the events that are occuring, whereas a year ago it was hard to find anything outside of the stalwart zball league out of Newtown. Were you sent here for work?

Wow, that is amazing. Pinball, in Sydney... And to the looks of it,... Its getting big.

I did not move for work. I always loved Australia as a child. Maybe it was Crocodile Dundee... I moved to San Francisco for the first time. Had a great job... But my boss was psychotic and his behavior made the entire branch of a rather large design studio shut down in SF. So... I go. I am a bit bummed out. I have a friend from Rio who recently moved to Australia. I sell everything I own and fly to Sydney to my friends apartment hoping to find a design job. 24 hrs before my flight I get this random call for an interview in SF. I go... went great and then I pop the question. Can I work remotely. From Sydney, Australia. Shocked to hear. They said yes. 12 hrs later my friend was deported back to Rio because he never got a letter in the mail saying his visa was not renewed. I get to Sydney, no friend. But I loved it. Met an amazing girl from the Philippines who just came to Australia the same time on a work visa. Years later I used up every visa possible and had to go back to California. Got home. Missed her. And we have been married ever since. I am also very happy she loves pinball.

#235 9 years ago

Product looks good. I was checking back to see if you made something for tron.

When you do PM me and take my moneys...

#236 9 years ago

Hi JP how about one for the Shadow?

#237 9 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Product looks good. I was checking back to see if you made something for tron.

When you do PM me and take my moneys...

We just have to find a way to fit the LED ring on a Stern. Our buddy Zitt is on it. As IJ would say... We have top men working on it.... Top... Men

#238 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Hi JP how about one for The Shadow?

I guess you could stick one up your Sanctum. "just a joke, not being rude lol "

#239 9 years ago

Wow, that is amazing. Pinball, in Sydney... And to the looks of it,... Its getting big....

Sounds like a good result from the initial bad circumstances. Glad you enjoyed your time here.

#240 9 years ago

I guess you could stick one up your Sanctum. "just a joke, not being rude lol "

Now that's a come back...lol.

#241 9 years ago

I have a request, how about some caps for DE STAR WARS. I think the rebel and/or empire logos would fit very nicely on a pop bumper cap!

#242 9 years ago
Quoted from vader1979:

I have a request, how about some caps for DE Star Wars. I think the rebel and/or empire logos would fit very nicely on a pop bumper cap!

This should do the trick

starwars_2.jpgstarwars_2.jpg
starwars_1.jpgstarwars_1.jpg

#243 9 years ago

This should do the trick

starwars_2.jpg 29 KB

starwars_1.jpg 28 KB

Beautiful!! Exactly what I was thinking!

#244 9 years ago
Quoted from vader1979:

Beautiful!! Exactly what I was thinking!

Woot! I will try and get sample cuts of all the latest concepts and add them to the store tonight. jean-luc-picard.com

#245 9 years ago

I would love to make more items but the chrome decals can be time consuming as is. My career can be very demanding without notice so I cant go too deep down the rabbit hole. It is crazy how precious time really is.

Man, you can say that again. Don't get me wrong, I love doing pin art, but I don't think people realize how deep that rabbit hole can be.

Looks like you're having fun with it though, and that's the key.

#246 9 years ago

Had some issues with the Guns, the trigger is so tiny and sooo hard to weed. I have to take a needle and not breathe. Very touchy.

AFM 1AFM 1
AFM 2AFM 2
AFM 3AFM 3

Star Wars 1Star Wars 1
Star Wars 2Star Wars 2

Demolition ManDemolition Man

GNR 2GNR 2
3.jpg3.jpg

Indiana JonesIndiana Jones

#247 9 years ago

Damn, too late to tell you... I just noticed while playing my SW that the screw holes on SW are on the left and right sides of the cap, instead of top and bottom like u have them now. If I put them on the way they are now, the bottom of the logo would be facing the left side of the cab. Is there any way to change the hole location? PM was also sent to you in regards to this. pic below shows the screw orientation!
star wars pin 1.jpgstar wars pin 1.jpg

#248 9 years ago
Quoted from vader1979:

Damn, too late to tell you... I just noticed while playing my SW that the screw holes on SW are on the left and right sides of the cap, instead of top and bottom like u have them now. If I put them on the way they are now, the bottom of the logo would be facing the left side of the cab. Is there any way to change the hole location? PM was also sent to you in regards to this.

Its all good, these are just test cut's. I can cut another one later with the holes on the right/left. But will have to wait till tomorrow I just powered down the machine.

Also, you will need to use the new caps. The caps you have now have grooves in them and it will not work with decals. As well, you may need to first make sure Williams/Bally style caps will fit on a DE.

#249 9 years ago

Had some issues with the Guns, the trigger is so tiny and sooo hard to weed.

Can you not set the cutting depth deeper and just cut all the way through, so you don't have to weed everything? Just knock the cut out parts that might be clinging straight through?

#250 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Can you not set the cutting depth deeper and just cut all the way through, so you don't have to weed everything? Just knock the cut out parts that might be clinging straight through?

I could, but the blade would not last long. You don't want the blade to pass the backing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.95
$ 1,059.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 470 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-chrome-cap-decals-helps-with-led-caps/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.