(Topic ID: 94651)

[[Business Sold]] - Custom Chrome Cap Decals [For LED Bumpers]....

By Jean-Luc-Picard

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 470 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by E_N_3
  • Topic is favorited by 39 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I would like some JLP Pop Cap Decals even if they only ship every 2 weeks!”

• yes 11 votes
    92%
  • no 0 votes
  • Why not, after more beer! 1 vote
    8%

(12 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 181 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

metal-mods_promo_(resized).jpg
JLP_pins_(resized).jpg
store_closed.gif
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
tftc_rat.jpg
tftc_guillotine.jpg
tftc_bat.jpg
slap.gif
shutup.gif
BramStokerDracula.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
T2.jpg

There are 470 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
#1 5 years ago

UPDATE: The chrome cap decals will be back in production. I sold the business to my friend. The new store will be up soon.

NEW STORE: www.metal-mods.com

I am no longer associated with this product, however my friend Jason will do an excellent job.

You can contact Jason for requests while he gets his store front set up.
Please email him at jason@metal-mods.com

******************BELOW IS BEFORE THE STORE CLOSED******************

decal_1.jpg

(+) FINISHED PRODUCT

1.jpg

(+) STEP 1 - peal off the decal

3.jpg

(+) STEP 2 - Get some windex

2.jpg

(+) STEP 3 - Mist the back side of the decal. The more windex, the longer you can slide your decal

4.jpg

(+) STEP 4 - Apply the decals, you can slide it around till it lines up. Make sure the decal is free of bubbles.

5.jpg

(+) STEP 5 - Grab the out ring. I would recommend not spraying, or misting extremely light. This part you want the decal to stick quickly. If it is too wet, you will have a hard time getting the decal to make the corner. If you put too much on anyway, no worry just blow on it and it will evaporate fast.

6.jpg

(+) STEP 6 - Apply one end first. "The spot facing the player"

7.jpg

(+) STEP 7 - With (2) thumbs smooth down the decal working your way around evenly.

8.jpg

(+) STEP 8 - Work both sides to a point
(+) The reason you have extra decal is because the cap is not flat. It is a curved surface. We work it to a point so we can compensate for the curve. Otherwise you will have kinks and an uneven decal. Don't be alarmed, when done correctly you will "NOT" see the seam. However, to make it even more invisible you point the seam away from the player. AKA back, or side near the ramps. Again, You will not see this seam in game "with" or "without" the game on.

9.jpg

(+) STEP 9 - Cut the decal as clean as you can

11.jpg

(+) STEP 10 - with a finger catch one end and let the other end fall. Adjust the end already down and lower the other flap to line up with its edge. "Center part is still wet and not aligned, later I slide this back to align it before it drys"

10.jpg

(+) STEP 11 - Smooth out the decal, free of bubbles. Wait for it to dry "till it no longer slides"

12.jpg

(+) STEP 12 - When dry, spray with windex

13.jpg

(+) STEP 13 - wipe and buff till it shines free from gunk or finger prints. "Use a soft cloth, not paper towel"

14.jpg

(+) STEP 14 - Make it shine!

15.jpg

--------------------Star Trek The Next Generation -------------------

If you have chrome cannons, chrome works great.

c2.jpgc1.jpgi5.jpg

-------------------- Williams Logo -------------------------------

b2.jpgb1.jpg

X-FILES

Black Knight 2000Black Knight 2000Black Knight 2000

Indiana Jones - Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword
// Error: Image 265504 not found //
500x500.jpg

#2 5 years ago

Impressive work! Those are beautiful. Now where did you get the chrome vinyl and how were they cut?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Impressive work! Those are beautiful. Now where did you get the chrome vinyl and how were they cut?

Thanks Got it from a T-800 Model 101, brought it back from 2029 AD. J/K I have a 36" Laser Vinyl Cutter.

#4 5 years ago

Very good idea. I think you are going to be getting some requests.

#5 5 years ago

I would like a couple sets of these. Will look cool on a couple different games.

#6 5 years ago

May l please have a set or 2 of these for my Terminator 2,

Thanks...

#7 5 years ago

Still torn on if I want these led rings or not...neat though.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I would like a couple sets of these. Will look cool on a couple different games.

Cool, what other games would these work on. I could also make other designs to fit other machines.

Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Still torn on if I want these led rings or not...neat though.

For normal caps, the center works really well. But I really enjoy the LED rings now that it isnt blinding me.

Quoted from Steve0:

May l please have a set or 2 of these for my Terminator 2,

Thanks...

I will calculate the price soon.

#9 5 years ago

Hmmm, I may be interested in only the center decal...

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Cool, what other games would these work on. I could also make other designs to fit other machines.

The other game I have that features a chrome-ish theme is BoP. Even though the pops are under the mini playfield, I want to use the LED rings and diffusing some of that light will help from blinding out the pinbot image above. I'm also switching from red to purple caps and lights under there.

#11 5 years ago

I'm in, PM me the details when ready...

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Hmmm, I may be interested in only the center decal...

Quoted from Cheeks:

The other game I have that features a chrome-ish theme is BoP. Even though the pops are under the mini playfield, I want to use the LED rings and diffusing some of that light will help from blinding out the pinbot image above. I'm also switching from red to purple caps and lights under there.

I may have to send/sell them as a set since when I cut them the center is cut inside the ring.

Quoted from Schwaggs:

I'm in, PM me the details when ready...

I will figure this out tonight. Cant remember how much my chrome vinyl roll was. I will calculate how much sq/inch per roll was + labor/blades etc. Shipping. $0.70 US & $1.36 International. "This depends if they give me the do not bend stamp, issues in SF post offices." China town seems to be the only place that doesn't charge $2 (extra) for the do not bend.

#13 5 years ago

I'm in for a set for sure.

#14 5 years ago

Im in for a couple sets!

#15 5 years ago

I will weed them for you

#16 5 years ago

Thought about doing gold or other chrome colors?

#17 5 years ago

sure, just need to know the popularity for what machines etc. For T2 I only see chrome.

#19 5 years ago

NICE! We can weed them ourselves....

Can you just mail them in an envelope with a piece of cardboard with it?

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

NICE! We can weed them ourselves....

Can you just mail them in an envelope with a piece of cardboard with it?

I can weed them but I don't see this to be an issue. You can just use your fingers, you don't need to use a blade or needle. Grab one corner and peal back and its off.

#22 5 years ago

I will send them weeded.

decal_1.jpg

#24 5 years ago

Just like you would weed a vinyl garden. lol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added Price to first post:

#26 5 years ago

pack.jpg

#27 5 years ago

Please send as "gift". For the pinheads that just sent payments not as gift that's ok. Was my fault for not requesting that. Sorry

#28 5 years ago

Sweet product. Those look great. Easy install awesome effect.

I do not even own this game and was thinking if I could intigrate it into a different title. Nice work.

#29 5 years ago

Thanks I am happy to provide custom center designs to fit other machines. Just let me know the machine you would like decals for and I can come up with a design for you. I have, Chrome, Chrome Green, Chrome Blue and Chrome Gold or Chrome Red if needed. Why only chrome? It reflects light better on top and on bottom. Compared to normal vinyl. With the LED-rings I recommend staying with chrome. But, I can pick up small rolls of other colors if we have enough interest.

Another option is adding a few designs to the out ring. If it fits the theme better.

#30 5 years ago

You guys may be curious what the backside of the decal is like since it will be on top of LED's. You will benefit from the reflective backside which will reflect light back to the playfield and not your eyes. So no light is absorbed/wasted or blocked

backside.jpg

#31 5 years ago

Think of it as a mirror blade for your pop cap.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Think of it as a mirror blade for your pop cap.

haha, that and bling for your pop caps

#33 5 years ago

I've been putting 1in.x12in. or shorter on the pf wood side rails under the plastics for quite some time. All the light from the bulbs is reflected back and not 90% absorbed by those black rails. See the dif., it's like having 2 bulbs back there. I call them mini mirrors. Same thing as your stickers.

BulbBefore.JPG
BulbAfter.JPG

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I've been putting 1in.x12in. or shorter on the pf wood side rails under the plastics for quite some time. All the light from the bulbs is reflected back and not 90% absorbed by those black rails. See the dif., it's like having 2 bulbs back there. I call them mini mirrors. Same thing as your stickers.

OH DANG! that looks great! I bet that not only lights up the plastics more, but shoots out towards the middle of the PF. This is a great idea if you don't want to add mirror blades. I never added the full blades since most of my pins have almost zero clearance and hang especially near the joint.

In this case, red cap, red reflection.
l2.jpg

#35 5 years ago

In this case, red cap, red reflection.

That thing looks like molten metal. WOW

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That thing looks like molten metal. WOW

haha, it is. I only have one hand now.

#37 5 years ago

(running around in a circle) OH MY GOD....OH MY GOD!!

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

(running around in a circle) OH MY GOD....OH MY GOD!!

haha, I think I would be passed out on the floor If it was molten metal. But thanks for thinking I could handle the pain with a simple fire dance

#39 5 years ago

JLP, would it be worth installing these on a 'standard' lit cap, or would they end up blocking out most of the light?

They look great by the way, good job.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

JLP, would it be worth installing these on a 'standard' lit cap, or would they end up blocking out most of the light?

They look great by the way, good job.

If you have standard LED, the center is perfect. As well a center decal is perfect for any machine and cap, plenty of light passes as well it hides the bulb, so center decal would work on many themes. "I can design caps to fit the pin". However since T2 is soo chrome theme. I could cut you a thin "50%" out ring that would hug the center core. "Or pin strip the outer edge with a 50% trim" Still get your chrome but also get your light via a single LED/Bulb. Recommend a 5-LED or super bright. But I really think a center only looks better with a single light, a recommend not using the outer ring for single lights.

If you or anyone wants to see what a Standard light looks like with a center only I will pop one in tomorrow.

#41 5 years ago

At the moment i'm using a standard incandescent bulb in my bumpers but plan to upgrade to
LEDs over the coming months. If you have a decal already cut to show what you describe that would be great, thanks.

#42 5 years ago

Single RED led. With center and with both.

n1.jpgn2.jpgn3.jpgn4.jpg

#43 5 years ago

That is a slick idea! Well done. Will be looking at my pins and seeing which ones need them. Will definitely cut down on the crazy brights I put in the pops. Bump!

#45 5 years ago

very cool , I wanna buy a set plz ...where are you guys buying the lights from...comet ?

#46 5 years ago

Cheers for the photos JLP, sending pm :0)

#47 5 years ago

Just an Update: Everyone that sent paypal's the decals went out in the mail this morning. I did not include any instructions. Please use the instructions posted above to help you install them.

I tried my best to inspect each decal, but if for some reason you have issues with a batch please PM me and I will help you out. Remember to clean the decals with windex after you install them with a "soft" cloth.

#48 5 years ago

Just ordered mine, can't wait to get em!
Thanks for the update...

#49 5 years ago

Just an Update: Everyone that sent paypal's the decals went out in the mail this morning. I did not include any instructions. Please use the instructions posted above to help you install them.
I tried my best to inspect each decal, but if for some reason you have issues with a batch please PM me and I will help you out. Remember to clean the decals with windex after you install them with a "soft" cloth.

Sweet

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
There are 470 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside