ECD3D0DF-F342-481A-904A-4341B1D8C8A3 (resized).jpeg
9936A851-F843-48C7-BFA4-5943F2C03558 (resized).jpeg
2020-04-25 (resized).jpg
20191213_121929 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Hello all!

I recently completed a playfield swap of T2 and everything was working just fine, but the hotdog wear and skull VUK hole were in terrible shape, hence the swap.

I've worked out all the kinks in the switches and GI, but I am still stuck trying to figure out this cannon. I cannot move it by hand, and it was installed exactly how I took it out. All the wiring looks correct, and the coil fires in test mode but the cannon will not rotate. The test mode says the canon is not at home but I dont know how to fix it or make it calibrate itself.

Any and all help is really appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

Make sure you have power to the Motor regulator board, and that the motor regulator is connected to the EMI filter board, and that the motor is connected to the output of the EMI filter board.

EMI FILTER
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

MOTOR REGULATOR
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Hello all!
I recently completed a playfield swap of T2 and everything was working just fine, but the hotdog wear and skull VUK hole were in terrible shape, hence the swap.
I've worked out all the kinks in the switches and GI, but I am still stuck trying to figure out this cannon. I cannot move it by hand, and it was installed exactly how I took it out. All the wiring looks correct, and the coil fires in test mode but the cannon will not rotate. The test mode says the canon is not at home but I dont know how to fix it or make it calibrate itself.
Any and all help is really appreciated.

Here is the correct positions for the gun

20191213_121929 (resized).jpg20191213_121929 (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

Thank you both for the replies. One thing I did not mention is that I had the pop bumper LEDs wired in. When I flipped the machine on, the LEDs in the pop bumpers let out their magic smoke. I disconnected the yellow and yellow striped wire from the wiring going to the pop bumper lighting.

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Make sure you have power to the Motor regulator board, and that the motor regulator is connected to the EMI filter board, and that the motor is connected to the output of the EMI filter board.
EMI FILTER
[quoted image]
MOTOR REGULATOR
[quoted image]

Everything is plugged in securely where it is supposed to go. Nothings is loose or plugged in the wrong spot, and I checked the solder on the connectors for the boards.

Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Here is the correct positions for the gun[quoted image]

I took a picture of mine, it looks the same to me.

2020-04-25 (resized).jpg2020-04-25 (resized).jpg

When I exited the gun set up, it said "calibrating gun" but the gun didn't move, so I'm 99.9999999% sure its power. Is there a specific fuse I should check, and could having the yellow and yellow/grey wire disconnected from the pop lights an issue?
And which is the ground the solid color or the stripe?

#5 3 years ago

Test for power, test the TIP 102 transistor. Is your motor working? Take a battery and hook some leads up to it and see if it moves

7 months later
#6 3 years ago

What size resistor does everyone have on their motor EMI filter board. The schematics that I have do not have it on there.

ECD3D0DF-F342-481A-904A-4341B1D8C8A3 (resized).jpegECD3D0DF-F342-481A-904A-4341B1D8C8A3 (resized).jpeg9936A851-F843-48C7-BFA4-5943F2C03558 (resized).jpeg9936A851-F843-48C7-BFA4-5943F2C03558 (resized).jpeg
#7 3 years ago

Just look1 post above yours, yuou can see it on my pic.

Forgot to update this thread......
there was a broken yellow wire, when I spliced it the cannon started working. Now if I can fix my ball trough issue.....

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Modlite_Rain:

What size resistor does everyone have on their motor EMI filter board. The schematics that I have do not have it on there.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Here's a link to my post about the cannon board resistor -
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gun-fun-terminator-2-cannon-issues

3 years later
#9 69 days ago

Can anyone post a “cure all video” for how to check every possible issue that can cause the cannon to not move? And if (it exists) a video of replacing/repairing one? It’s crazy to me this doesn’t already exist somewhere. - a repair video on the canon I mean.

#10 69 days ago
Quoted from 20SidedDies:

Can anyone post a “cure all video” for how to check every possible issue that can cause the cannon to not move? And if (it exists) a video of replacing/repairing one? It’s crazy to me this doesn’t already exist somewhere. - a repair video on the canon I mean.

Search the T2 forum, if you already haven't.

#11 69 days ago
Quoted from 20SidedDies:

As far as pinball repair goes, a lot of things are simple, and some are harder, and some require a technician to fix.

As an experienced pinball technician, this is no mystery. I'm surprised that you find it difficult.

But if you are entirely inexperienced, I recommend you get an actual pinball technician to come out to your home and repair your game.

Some problems require a technician to fix. This may be one of them.

If you are up for fixing this yourself, you need to know that your game has a manual:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2524/Williams_1991_Terminator_2_Judgment_Day_Manual.pdf

The basic idea behind how things work in a pinball:

Power is applied to something all the time. Flashlamps, coils, circuits. The Power Driver board connects ground to complete the circuit through the 'driver transistors'.

PDF page 48 will tell you that the gun motor is solenoid 11, and that it is Q54 (driver transistor) on the power driver board, and that the wire to make the connection is J127-4.

So this will be the side that connects ground to the motor.

PDF page 111, and you have a 'top level' wiring diagram. This shows that the motor (through the coils on the EMI board) is connected to power through the Motor Regulator assembly, and the motor get's a ground path through J127, pin 4, which is connected to Q54. All this makes sense, and we have a complete idea about how the motor is going to get connected to ground.

Now we need to look at how the motor is going to get power.

On PDF page 78, you have the parts and layout of components of the A-13892-2 Motor Regulator Assembly. On PDF Page 110 is the schematic for this board.

PDF Page 110 is actually pretty important, it tells you that the Motor Regulator assembly get's it's connection to provide power from two other connectors on the Power Driver board, J107 pin 5 (lots of things get power through this pin!), and J118 pin 3.

So it's pretty clear that this Motor Regulator will get power and ground from an unregulated 20v source, and output a 'regulated' 12v to supply power to the motor.

That's the diagram at the bottom of PDF page 110.

Now, you think there should be 'every possible cause' troubleshooting... Seriously?

Well, start with is your city connected to a working power plant. Does your neighborhood have power. Does your house have power. Do you have power at the outlet. Is your pinball plugged in at the outlet. Is your power wire connected inside the pinball...

Seriously? EVERY POSSIBLE cause?

If I was troubleshooting this, the first thing I'd do is put my red meter lead on one of the motor terminals, and my black meter lead to the ground strap in the bottom of the cabinet. Measure DC voltage. Until the motor has a ground path, both motor terminals should have power. If I read power at the motor, then the only reason the motor won't have a circuit with power on one side and ground on the other side is that there is a problem with the connection to the ground side.

So if you've got a problem on the ground side, take an alligator clip, attach one side to the ground terminal on your Power Driver board in the backbox (look for it, it's in the middle of the board), and touch the other end of the alligator clip to the tab of the transistor that runs the motor. Does the motor turn? Then it appears that maybe Q54 isn't working. You've got a good path from the tab of the transistor, but the transistor isn't connecting ground? Probably the transistor. Replace it with a TIP102. While you've got the board out, look at the predriver transistor (it should read just like all the other transistors in the circuit. This is typical board repair.

If you don't feel that you can do typical board repair, hire a technician to do this. Any competent pinball technician would find this trivial.

But suppose you ground the tab of the transistor, and nothing happens.

At this point, I'd clip the alligator clip to the tab of the transistor and go back underneath the pinball to the motor. I'd put my red lead to one motor terminal, my black lead to the other motor terminal. If I read voltage here (like 12vdc), I have a defective motor. Power to the motor is being applied, but it isn't turning. You need a motor.

If I don't have power, I'm suspecting connections. Something is not connected.

Motor EMF boards have coils. It is quite common for the solder connections to these coils to be broken, or the solder connections on the connector pins to be broken under the board. So reflow the solder to these connections.

For the motor to turn, it needs power and ground, 12v on one wire, ground on the other.

This really isn't too hard to trace. You'll need a meter, you'll need alligator clips.

The book is quite clear where the connections are. It's quite clear what voltages (or ground paths) are present.

But, unless you get a technician to look at this for you, YOU are going to have to figure out what's wrong here.

Are voltages present? Are ground paths connected? There are only so many places you can have a problem, but I'm not going to be able to diagram out thirty or forty paths that COULD be this issue. You'll have to find out what is working and what isn't to narrow the range of your problem.

Many people here get to a certain point here on pinside, and ask some questions.

What I've outlined here should get you started.

Let us know how far you get in your troubleshooting, and we can probably help you further.

If this description is beyond you, hire a professional.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 26.50
$ 21.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-cannon-not-moving and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.