Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

plug.jpg
SW-Power cable.jpg
41k0DfHOl6L.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hi everybody!
A little question for you. On my Stellar Wars I feel a little "voltage" on metal parts like siderails/lockbar/coindoor when I touch them with my hands. I checked several times the ground strap and it is right connected on metal parts, I also checked the continuity with digital multimeter and it's ok!
So all the boards are screwed tightly, I changed all the capacitors... Where can I take a look to solve this trouble???
Thanks in advance

Loris

#2 10 years ago

Your wall outlet may not be wired correctly or your line cord is missing the ground prong. With game power off, use your DMM to check continuity to earth ground on the lockdown bar and other metal places.

#3 10 years ago

Put a circuit tester in the wall outlet, to see if it's wired correctly.

They look like this in the states.

Robert

41k0DfHOl6L.jpg41k0DfHOl6L.jpg

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Your wall outlet may not be wired correctly or your line cord is missing the ground prong. With game power off, use your DMM to check continuity to earth ground on the lockdown bar and other metal places.

Quoted from Theonlylilo:

Hi everybody!
A little question for you. On my Stellar Wars I feel a little "voltage" on metal parts like siderails/lockbar/coindoor when I touch them with my hands. I checked several times the ground strap and it is right connected on metal parts, I also checked the continuity with digital multimeter and it's ok!
So all the boards are screwed tightly, I changed all the capacitors... Where can I take a look to solve this trouble???
Thanks in advance
Loris

im no exspert- but i suspect grounding issues- i also think much advice here will be difficult because we (the states) use a 3 grond extra ground system and if i recal all my time in the eu they do alot of 2 prong stuff------

just my advice, and it might be bad- but i would isolate some grounding and see if you can find what the problem is to what metallic coponet, then i think its, shareing thrount the ground making all metal somewhat live, might want to do it with a tester... i would like to see you power point plug.........

enjoy italy- freeken awsome place

#5 10 years ago

Thanks for your replies! So, in my home I have a certified ground system. I don't exclude this possibility, but I think is not here the problem... I'll try another wall outlet if something changes. (strange the instrument in the picture... I never seen one in my life...)
I have a 3-poles cable to power my pinball. But only two wires are connected inside the wooden cabinet. The ground wire is cutted off. The same thing in my others pinball! How the pinball "discharged itself" to earth ground?
How can I check if a metal part is isolated with the multimeter? Continuity between metallic part and the ground hole in the wall?

Italy is a very beautiful place!!! Pity about the politicians and some people... They are ruining us!!!

#6 10 years ago

i think your on to something with the cut wire- wont do no good to have the machine grounding itself, if it dose not tie the the house grounding system network...... however???

and ill say again, im no exspert and dont pretend to be- however that ground system is a extra safty feature, to help you not to get shocked, i dont think it should be grounding a load all the time-------

i think- somewhere besides the machine grounding not being tied to the home ground you have some sort of a grounding issue, i dont think its hot or you would be poping fuses real shocks ect, but i think current is going thought some object regulating load, then finding its way to the machine grounding system and woundering around.

i happent to live in a house fairly old, (not by italy standards of course) made it 1880, it has 2 prong system, in much of the house, and the 3 prong- i have ran a pin or 2 a time or 2- and have never received un unwarented shock!!!

p.s. dont worry about the "polititicans" and "some people"- there doing 'it" everywhere

#7 10 years ago

If the ground wire is cut off, then you no longer have it's protection.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If the ground wire is cut off, then you no longer have it's protection.

I think that there is probably a ground fault in the game and with the plug ground wire attached it kept popping the breaker, so...

SOLUTION: cut ground wire.

This is a problem!

Robert

#9 10 years ago

When I picked up the pinball, the ground strap was cutted in several points.
I fixed it overlapping the two cut ends and join them with a screw or with the staplegun.
With the multimeter the continuity is ok, f.e. from the siderail to the main switch under the cab (the last component in the ground strap way). So I can imagine that all the metal parts are "grounded".
Could be the ground pivot in the backbox? A capacitor that leaks voltage?
In the lunchtime I'll take a picture inside the cabinet, especially to the power cable connection... maybe there is something wrong here...

#10 10 years ago

As promise, here the picture of power cable connection. It seems ok...
After I'll try a test, maybe insignificant, but I'll try however... disconnect the boards or connectors one by one to see which is the culprit of this trouble...
Any suggestion? Thanks boys!!!

SW-Power cable.jpgSW-Power cable.jpg
#11 10 years ago

plug.jpgplug.jpg

I assume from Italy that your plug looks similar to the above.

I am in no way qualified to give advice on electrical issues but it does seem you have a ground or earth issue rather than an electrical problem in the machine.

Check for continuity between the green ground wire on the line filter (in your pic) and the earth prong on your plug.
If that checks out Ok I would check the wall outlet for a proper earth path as advised previously.

I can't think of a component failure that would give the symptoms you describe above.

#12 10 years ago

Yes, is similar to the plug in the pic!
Yesterday I also tried to change the wall outlet with another in the same house floor. Nothing has changed...
When I return to home I'll check better the plug like your suggestion.
Thanks

#13 10 years ago

Hot / neutral being reversed can do this as well (i think?)

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Hot / neutral being reversed can do this as well (i think?)

Never really understood why this would be the case. The line voltage goes through fuse, line filter, on/off switch and the primary side of the transformer. I can't understand how switching line and neutral around could cause the symptoms above.

Perhaps someone could chime in.

Andy

#15 10 years ago

im guess this pure and simple stray voltage- somewhere you have neutral getting to your ground network-

your going to need to isolate each metal peice - and when you get one that cant be made to have no potential it will be the one with the neutral somewhere touching it.

#16 10 years ago

With the game off, but plugged in, check if your incoming blue wire is somehow hot with your meter.

So, meter set on AC:

One probe on blue wire, one on green. Voltage (hopefully 0v)? (if 220v blue is HOT)

One probe on brown, one on green. Voltage (hopefully 220v)? (if 0v, ground is faulty)

One probe on brown, one on blue. Voltage (hopefully 220v)?

#17 10 years ago

I checked the voltages:
- blue/green = 1,3 V approx
- brown/green = 230 V
- brown/blue = 230 V
If the first one can be trascurable, the values are ok!
However I took a look to the plug; is a new plug but, damn... the ground wire inside is broken!!! I fixed all the connections inside the plug and now the problem seems to be solved (I hope)...
But for curiosity... inside my Alien Poker the ground on line filter is missing, and I don't feel shock on my hand! It's strange...

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Theonlylilo:

Italy is a very beautiful place!!! Pity about the politicians and some people... They are ruining us!!!

Same thing here in the states. And congrats on your fix.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Theonlylilo:

But for curiosity... inside my Alien Poker the ground on line filter is missing, and I don't feel shock on my hand! It's strange...

The ground is supposed to be there to give electricity a better path than running through you, should a problem develop.

Even though you are not feeling a shock now, fix the ground!

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Even though you are not feeling a shock now, fix the ground!

I will do it! Thanks to all!
Have a nice weekend!!!

Ciao Loris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tension-on-metal-parts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.