7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by RussMyers
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0503 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

My tenma desoldering station model 72-6340 has worked pretty well since I purchased it a few years back. The desoldering pump motor runs but it stopped providing any suction this week. I unplugged the vacuum line and tested with my hand and zero suction. Removed the case cover and inspected inside for any sign of blockages or broken vacuum lines. Nothing out of ordinary. Called MCM tech support where I purchased it. Was told they don't sell replacement vacuum pumps for the station so now I have a $280 dollar boat anchor on my work bench. Anyone know a source for the replacement vacuum pump? It just screws in with a couple of electrical spade connectors and the two vacuum lines.

#2 7 years ago

Chet -

I'm not sure how that vacuum pump is made, but its likely to have sliding vanes that hug the side of the housing as it spins. If that's the case, take off the cover of the pump and see if there are moving vanes. Take one out at a time, clean it, and reinstall, matching the same orientation as what it was when you removed it. Make sure to clean the area where the vane rides, too.

Another trick is to put some alcohol in the input side, and run the pump until the alcohol comes out of the exhaust side. This is messy, but it works. Be aware alcohol is flammable.

It's likely that over time, there is a build up of flux that has caused the moving vanes to stick, thus they do not produce the vacuum.

Let us know if this works.

#3 7 years ago

Does the vacuum pump have any numbers or markings on it? I have been able to track down parts that way to DIY repair stuff.

RussM

#4 7 years ago

can you open open up the pump? My hakko has gaskets and the plunger rubber stuff that are replaceable and need it after a bit of use. Rosin flux gets through the filters somewhat too and gunks up stuff.

#5 7 years ago

The pump is a Thomas 1420VP/24VDC part number 14200002. Seems to be a German manufactured part but called a Gardner Denver Product. Looks like some of places on web wanted over $200 USD for it!!

IMG_0503 (resized).JPGIMG_0503 (resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago

Can you take it apart and clean in it? Is there parts for that motor pump?

There is gaskets and what not inside.. probably gunked up with flux.

#7 7 years ago

I took the pump apart and cleaned the small rubber diaphragms with alcohol on the both ends and made sure all the lines were clear and not blocked. Put it back to together and it is sucking again! There sure was not much indication of flux buildup but it apparently does not take much to gunk things up..

Thanks for all the help. I will probably have to do this periodically, even with new filters.

#8 7 years ago

Well done.

RussM

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tenma-desoldering-station-vacuum-pump-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.