(Topic ID: 125451)

Tenma Solder Station Iron Sale @ $39.99 VS Hakko FX-888D

By Pinterest

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Weller.jpg
    Tenma.jpg
    MCM Tenma.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Hi All -

I really wanted a Hakko FX-888 D and have been waiting for it to go on sale again - but I need a soldering station now and don't really want to pay $60 more for a Hakko.

This Tenma is on sale at MCM for $39.99 and just wondered if anyone had any experience with it?

MCM Tenma.jpgMCM Tenma.jpg

At this price I figure if it sucks its disposable.

Thoughts?

#2 9 years ago

I have never had that model but i did buy a Tenma as my first solder station. I have since added a Hakko but still use the Tenma a lot and have been very happy with it!

#3 9 years ago

I have a different Tenma that I'm very happy with. I don't find this item at the price you have on the screen. If it's in your basket...

faz

#4 9 years ago

I just got a Hakko 888D. It's worth it.

#5 9 years ago

That one shows up as $69.99 for me.

#6 9 years ago

I have been using the same 2 Tenma soldering stations for 15 years. They never let me down and are good on tip utilization.

#7 9 years ago

Got this email...

Tenma.jpgTenma.jpg

When you put it in your cart you get the price or you can put the coupon code EMC396 in for the price.

#8 9 years ago

At that price grab it. Check tip prices maybe pick up a couple of small chisel tips. One larger chisel.
    The features they call out all seem fine. Stations suck for pf soldering.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Stations suck for pf soldering.

Why? What's a better option?

#10 9 years ago

Stations are bulky when working under the playfield and in the cabinet. 2 cords with a brick in the middle

They work OK, but a plain ole corded iron works great under a playfield and is less bulky.

Tenma makes some decent stuff. I wouldn't want to use one daily for a lot of board work, but I know guys who *do*. For the typical pinball hobbyist, it's 'enough'.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Why? What's a better option?

If your soldering switches, etc. a regular 25 watt Weller is all you need. If soldering on boards then you need a station to control temps.

#12 9 years ago

Yeah, I use this Weller for under playfield soldering.

Weller.jpgWeller.jpg

I am making this for a JM Topper.

My Weller WESD51 station is at my house in Florida, and I don't want to buy another expensive unit up here.

#13 9 years ago

Better option for under pf would be hakko fx600 or Fx601.
    Not sure which one to get but 600 is like 42 on eBay and for another 25 in parts you have the 601 model. It is next on my list to buy.
    Yeah I have an old weller gun I have used but even that only has a 4 ft cord and I like the pencil feel with a chisel tip better.
    Stations suck as they are meant to be used at a bench. The length of cord from base to iron is short.
    And the high thermal masses for coils, bridges, lamp sockets ect. You need higher wattage and most stations Aren't designed to output that much.

Hope I have helped confuse you

#14 9 years ago

Oh my son and I did a little 3x3x3 cube they aren't that bad as long as you are super acurate with the bends and have patience. And dont miss a joint in the middle. Lol.
    Great project for soldering skill practice. Which is why I bought it. He has done a couple kits now and for being 12 he is getting pretty good making beautiful joints.

#16 9 years ago

I have both the Tenma pictured and the Hakko FX-888D. I use them both. One is in the car for work on the road, the other in the house. They both heat up very fast and have been dependable. I tend to use the Tenma more. The only issue I have with it is I wish the cord between the station and iron was a foot longer.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85Txaggie:

I have both the Tenma pictured and the Hakko FX-888D. I use them both. One is in the car for work on the road, the other in the house. They both heat up very fast and have been dependable. I tend to use the Tenma more. The only issue I have with it is I wish the cord between the station and iron was a foot longer.

That is the only complaint I have with mine: Cord is too short. (Which leads to interesting balance situations when working under the pf!

#18 9 years ago

I have been using an earlier (LED bar graph) Tenma model for years. I use it daily, it gets turned on in the AM and not off until I leave. I got tired of paying for new handles/wires for the Weller stuff and the more expensive tips. For around $10, you get a new handle and heater from Tenma. The only complaint is that the weller wires are silicone and more flexible which is prefered, the Tenma are not but have not failed as the Weller ones did.

AS to using one for playfield work, I use a spare bench one. I don't like to wait for a normal iron to heat up and don't pull out the trusty Weller Solder gun any longer. Just turn the adj. temp up all the way. I guess the shorter cord might be an issue on an EM but I have never noticed a problem myself.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.