Tempremental Pharaoh, help needed

By dontknowsquat

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Found a lovely example of one of my wishlist games , made the deal , got her home . Leave her sit for 2 days, connect the head , play 2 games. Take a break and come back to blank displays, dark GI , no solenoids and the sound looping. Turn her off. Turn back on , think the term is machine-gunning (solenoids continuously firing) Turn her off. Leave her off for a day. Start her up, play partial first ball , all goes dark , no solenoids, lights or displays. One minute she looks like , and plays like a million bucks , the next you have some old dude telling you about enter the tomb , over and over and over (think Pee Wee's Big Adventure). Can't lock it down to whether I am hitting something on the playfield , because she will play . As always , any and all help greatly appreciated.

#2 5 years ago

I'd assume your mpu is crashing/not booting. Would be best to bullet proof it. New rom sockets, New interconnect.

#3 5 years ago

^^agree, interconnect for sure.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks for the replies, when I bought the game , the previous owner(a fellow pinsider) informed me that he had replaced the inter-connect with a brand new one. Also had replaced the box resistors on the driver board. Here is a twist I forgot to mention. Sometimes when I turn it on it gives a 2504 2 code , for batteries? But it has an NVRAM installed. Only had the game 3 weeks and played a total of 2 games. Very disappointed at this point. Will have one of my daughters take some pictures, maybe even make a short video. Hopefully that will help.

#5 5 years ago

New interconnect is good. Could still be any of the sockets on the mpu. If it's not booting properly it could easily overwrite some of the nvram and 'invalidate' it just like losing battery power would.

#6 5 years ago

So should I send the board out , or is this something I can do? If I have to send the board out , any recommendations? Thanks.

#7 5 years ago

If you can do board work it's not complicated but I'd you're not comfortable with it then I'd send it out. Chris Hibler seems to be a popular choice. There's a few other good ones. They also make replacement boards

#8 5 years ago

Could the culprit be a loose NVRAM chip? As I was removing the board from the machine the NVRAM chip fell on the floor. Don't know much about it, but can't imagine when they designed it , they wanted it to be that loose. All the other sockets were nice and snug . When you buy the NVRAM chip does it come with its own socket? Thanks.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from dontknowsquat:

Could the culprit be a loose NVRAM chip? As I was removing the board from the machine the NVRAM chip fell on the floor. Don't know much about it, but can't imagine when they designed it , they wanted it to be that loose. All the other sockets were nice and snug . When you buy the NVRAM chip does it come with its own socket? Thanks.

That could cause issues, yes. Not sure if they come with a socket, but I have had issues because the nvram legs go straight down. I just swapped a regular ram chip back in :/

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from dontknowsquat:

Shouldn't be that loose. The pins used on most NVRAM are a bit thicker than a regular IC, so it should hold it plenty firm unless the NVRAM isn't seated fully in the socket or the socket is really worn out. In terms of not being inserted fully, I've had a customer or two tell me the NVRAM just falls out and they realized they weren't pushing it in very far. If you line it up with the socket, then push it in.. it should noticeably feel like it inserted and is seated down further into the socket. One guy told me he hadn't realized it was going to take a bit more pressure than he expected. Don't go too nuts with pressure, but it should take a little force for it to seat down in the socket -- if it hardly takes anything to insert it and you can remove it with a light tug.. or it just falls out, you'll have to replace the socket.

Each NVRAM I sell includes an IC socket by default, but it's anyone's guess where the one in your board came from.

#11 5 years ago

Could somebody please recommend a place to purchase a new socket for the NVRAM? Thanks.

#13 5 years ago

If you're just looking for an IC socket..

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/DIP22 $0.69
The issue is shipping will be $6.99...so you may be better off Googling and trying to track down the socket elsewhere.

Another option is breakaway headers..
ebay.com link: Break Away Single Row Round Headers Machine Pin Female 0 1 2 54Mm 40 Pins Pack (pack of 10, 40 position strips)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
South Kingstown, RI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 52.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tempremental-pharaoh-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.