IMG_0604 (resized).jpg
IMG_0610 (resized).jpg
glass (resized).jpg
20170103180513314 (resized).jpg
20170103180522797 (resized).jpg
Hand-slice-2012 (resized).jpg
well-that-escalated-jmg8n6 (resized).jpg
download (48) (resized).jpg
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

I was at a buddy's place last night he has a great set up of machines..
After hitting the flippers on several we were shooting the shit as I lighty leaned on his Tommy machine near the beer stopper.. next thing you know a loud crack..
Whoever he bought the machine from put regular 3/16 plate glass ..
Holy shit that's dangerous. If I had been a few inches up I'm sure my elbow would have been skinned,...
Now I'm checking all my machines,out at my place to be sure its tempered .I've always leaned on machines never ever ever had this happen.
I'm pretty sure it did not come with plate glass ..machines in the early days I'm sure did but not now..

#2 7 years ago

According to Wayne Neyens (in the Pinball Compendium 1930s to 1960s http://www.schifferbooks.com/the-pinball-compendium-1930s-1960s-1398.html )
the change was made in 1964 after his daughter was cut when playing on top of a machine and the glass broke.

You can bet before I get my Gigi operational again I'll make sure I have tempered glass in it.

#3 7 years ago

I've bought more than a few games that had plate glass installed. Obviously, I replaced those.

Sometimes the glass simply gets replaced by an owner at some point without them realizing what type of glass should actually be used.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

I was at a buddy's place last night he has a great set up of machines..
After hitting the flippers on several we were shooting the shit as I lighty leaned on his Tommy machine near the beer stopper.. next thing you know a loud crack..
Whoever he bought the machine from put regular 3/16 plate glass ..
Holy shit that's dangerous. If I had been a few inches up I'm sure my elbow would have been skinned,...
Now I'm checking all my machines,out at my place to be sure its tempered .I've always leaned on machines never ever ever had this happen.
I'm pretty sure it did not come with plate glass ..machines in the early days I'm sure did but not now..

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

According to Wayne Neyens (in the Pinball Compendium 1930s to 1960s http://www.schifferbooks.com/the-pinball-compendium-1930s-1960s-1398.html )
the change was made in 1964 after his daughter was cut when playing on top of a machine and the glass broke.
You can bet before I get my Gigi operational again I'll make sure I have tempered glass in it.

I kinda figured it was in the early days ... thank you.. very uncool. ...glad my elbow skin is still there ..

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've bought more than a few games that had plate glass installed. Obviously, I replaced those.
Sometimes the glass simply gets replaced by an owner at some point without them realizing what type of glass should actually be used.

Hopefully it was just unknown.. I know it's more expensive but dam.. lol
I'm lucky to have a glass guy and I'm able to pick up sheets cheap... gonna ask my glass guy how to confirm tempered .. I know tempered will scratch easier but don't wanna scratch my glass up ..

#7 7 years ago

There is sometimes a slight tint to tempered glass.

The edges of temptered should be polished and smooth. The edges of plate glass might be a little rough.

If you have polarized sunglasses, you can sometimes see dark shadowy lines on tempered glass.

It might just be me, but when handling tempered and plate glass, they seem to each give off a slightly different sound when knocked.

#8 7 years ago

I have invisiglass from JJP- I'm assuming that's all tempered right?

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

I have invisiglass from JJP- I'm assuming that's all tempered right?

Yes

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The edges of temptered should be polished and smooth

Usually you see ground edges, but it's not required.

#11 7 years ago

Tempered glass is a must and regular glass can be very dangerous, that being said the term skinned cracked me up. A skinned elbow is something your Mom gave you a kiss for when you were 5. In this story potential injury seem disproportionate to the danger expressed.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Tempered glass is a must and regular glass can be very dangerous, that being said the term skinned cracked me up. A skinned elbow is something your Mom gave you a kiss for when you were 5. In this story potential injury seem disproportionate to the danger expressed.

True.. I was thinking more skinned to the bone.. haha..just glad it happend and nobody harmed .. and I'm sliding him one of mine

#13 7 years ago

I'm not sure if this really works, but might be worth experimenting.

http://glass-fish-tanks.com/how-to-tell-if-your-fish-tank-is-tempered-glass/

#14 7 years ago

Is it safe to assume that all machines from 1990 forward came from the factory with tempered glass?

#15 7 years ago

The edges aren't a dead giveaway. You can have plate with a polished edge or tempered with unpolished edges, as these are options but polished edges on tempered seems to be the norm.

If you smack the edge with a hammer, you will instantly know if you have plate glass or if you HAD tempered glass

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Is it safe to assume that all machines from 1990 forward came from the factory with tempered glass?

Factory? Yes.. problem is unless you've known the owner of the game for the last 25 years... you don't know what's happened with it.

The polarized lighting and edges usually give you piece of mind. But edges are not definitive.

#17 7 years ago

I'm glad I made this post.. I'm gonna call my glass guy and get the lowdown on how to tell .. nobody needs to be badly hurt from pinball...

Then we can all check our stuff out... I just installed new tempered in my firepower so that I'm sure of . We have all leaned on them and I'm sure I have on all of mine. . It just happend to be I leaned on Tommy because it was at the end if his row... imagine at a arcade? Yikes ..

#18 7 years ago

We already know this... big difference..

download (48) (resized).jpgdownload (48) (resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago

I have a funny story about non tempered glass on a pin. I was at Joystix for the first time ever. For those that don't know, Joystix sells games but twice a month you can pay to play the games from 9 till 2 in the morning. I was Playing a TOM and this gorgeous young thing with the sweetest set of girls you could imagine wanted to play the game. I asker her if she wanted to play doubles and she said OK. When it was her turn I just moved over to the next pin and pretended to watch her game when I was really enjoying the view of the girls. I guess I leaned too hard and the glass broke into a million daggers and I fell into the game. It cut the living shit out of my elbows and they were bleeding all over the game and myself. There of course was no way of NOT looking stupid after that. To make it worse the chick went and told on me. Charlie didn't know me at the time and gave me some bullshit about not charging me for the glass that I broke. I didn't say anything about the fact that the game should have had tempered glass and I could sue him for getting injured at his place. I just wrapped myself up and bled all the way home. But I can still remember the girls.

#20 7 years ago

plate glass is a lot weaker than Tempered. Unless you have hot or cold hands, or ting the edges. Then the tempered is fragile as all shit.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I have a funny story about non tempered glass on a pin. I was at Joystix for the first time ever. For those that don't know, Joystix sells games but twice a month you can pay to play the games from 9 till 2 in the morning. I was Playing a TOM and this gorgeous young thing with the sweetest set of girls you could imagine wanted to play the game. I asker her if she wanted to play doubles and she said OK. When it was her turn I just moved over to the next pin and pretended to watch her game when I was really enjoying the view of the girls. I guess I leaned too hard and the glass broke into a million daggers and I fell into the game. It cut the living shit out of my elbows and they were bleeding all over the game and myself. There of course was no way of NOT looking stupid after that. To make it worse the chick went and told on me. Charlie didn't know me at the time and gave me some bullshit about not charging me for the glass that I broke. I didn't say anything about the fact that the game should have had tempered glass and I could sue him for getting injured at his place. I just wrapped myself up and bled all the way home. But I can still remember the girls.

Wow man.. haha.. great story man...

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

plate glass is a lot weaker than Tempered. Unless you have hot or cold hands, or ting the edges. Then the tempered is fragile as all shit.

Ya man.. broke with very little weight on it.. luckily right in front of the beer stopper...

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Hey that's great I'm sure she was thrilled to have a gross old dude staring at her tits (so thrilled that she immediately ratted you out when you broke the glass). It is so weird to me that you would objectify and creep out a young woman and think it is cool to brag about that? That's one of the saddest, most pathetic posts I've ever read on here. I feel bad for you.

If anyone ever wonders what women are talking about when they say they don't feel welcome here on Pinside or in the Pinball hobby in general, look no further than this post.

#24 7 years ago

well-that-escalated-jmg8n6 (resized).jpgwell-that-escalated-jmg8n6 (resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Hey that's great I'm sure she was thrilled to have a gross old dude staring at her tits (so thrilled that she immediately ratted you out when you broke the glass). It is so weird to me that you would objectify and creep out a young woman and think it is cool to BRAG about that? That's one of the saddest, most pathetic posts I've ever read on here. I feel bad for you.
If anyone ever wonders what women are talking about when they say they don't feel welcome here on Pinside or in the Pinball hobby in general, look no further than this post.

maybe he's not gross and old and/or maybe she's into that sort of thing? Just because you look at a girls boobs, isn't an automatic turn off. Plenty want you to look and entice you by looking, trying to get your attention. And enjoy getting the attention. Hence, why some have them hanging practically out a lot of the time. They know the attention they get and flaunt it.

#26 7 years ago

Don't you know that it's wrong for ugly people to look at the attractive ones?

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

maybe he's not gross and old and/or maybe she's into that sort of thing? Just because you look at a girls boobs, isn't an automatic turn off. Plenty want you to look and entice you by looking, trying to get your attention.

pezpunk is always looking to be offended, especially about women. It's old.

#28 7 years ago

First five minutes of having my Gottlieb Skipper in my basement, it was in a tight space so I tried to pull the glass up just a hair to get it over an obstacle so I could slide it out of the game and it broke a big chunk of a corner off in the back. Sure made it easy to tell that it was plate glass. Obviously has a tempered piece of glass in it now. Proper.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Hey that's great I'm sure she was thrilled to have a gross old dude staring at her tits (so thrilled that she immediately ratted you out when you broke the glass). It is so weird to me that you would objectify and creep out a young woman and think it is cool to brag about that? That's one of the saddest, most pathetic posts I've ever read on here. I feel bad for you.

Haha.. my oladys a pinball nut .. odd stuff happens whenever we are at the pinball hall.. dudes always gather around the machines around her . We just laugh then I give her a slap on the bum as I walk by and they leave real quick...
Funny stuff...

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

First five minutes of having my Gottlieb Skipper in my basement, it was in a tight space so I tried to pull the glass up just a hair to get it over an obstacle so I could slide it out of the game and it broke a big chunk of a corner off. Sure made it easy to tell that it was plate glass. Obviously has a tempered piece of glass in it now. Proper.

I know man.. scary.. most glass guys do t cut tempered and to order it's 80 and up.. I'm fortunate to have a aewsome glass guy . But its worth the xtra loot never the less ..

#31 7 years ago

My house has a fireplace that the previous owners installed a wood burning stove insert into.
First time I lit it, I found out that the glass in the stove door had been replaced with tempered but non high-heat glass.
Lit the fire, closed the door, and POW. At least it shattered into a million little pieces instead of several large ones.
Still finding tiny glass cubes near the fireplace.

#32 7 years ago

Ok.. my glass guy just ordered me a few xtra to have on hand.. he did state that cut tempered glass will have a small stamp on one of the corners and tempered will scratch very easy ... so maybe try under the beer stopper with a razor. to confirm... better safe then sorry...

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Haha.. my oladys a pinball nut .. odd stuff happens whenever we are at the pinball hall.. dudes always gather around the machines around her . We just laugh then I give her a slap on the bum as I walk by and they leave real quick...
Funny stuff...

I know, right? My wife gets hit on in all kinds of places. It's almost irritating...almost..

I think the best one was the guy that talked shit about me to my wife, not realizing who she was. He clearly didn't know we were married, she didn't get his name, so I went up and talked to the guy. Total creeper. Haven't ever seen him at that location again.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Don't you know that it's wrong for ugly people to look at the attractive ones?

it's wrong for anyone to be a creepy jerk, and even sadder to brag about it. there's a difference between "looking at" a person and leering so hard at a girl's chest that you fall through a pinball machine.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

maybe he's not gross and old and/or maybe she's into that sort of thing? Just because you look at a girls boobs, isn't an automatic turn off. Plenty want you to look and entice you by looking, trying to get your attention. And enjoy getting the attention. Hence, why some have them hanging practically out a lot of the time. They know the attention they get and flaunt it.

believe it or not most people prefer to be treated like actual people, not a walking pair of tits. if someone walks up to a pinball machine, the default assumption should be that she is there to PLAY PINBALL, not to sexually gratify a stranger.

Quoted from pinlink:

pezpunk is always looking to be offended, especially about women. It's old.

the truth is there are a lot of women into pinball who either won't participate in this forum, participate very carefully or mainly in specific subforums, or quickly get annoyed and leave in disgust. if they say anything, they get attacked and berated and told that there is no sexism and it's all in their head.

all i'm doing is pointing out a prime example of a guy bragging on Pinside about acting like a gross creep towards young women, in case anyone wants to maintain the fantasy that women are welcome here as actual people and not merely eye candy.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

I'm not sure if this really works, but might be worth experimenting.
http://glass-fish-tanks.com/how-to-tell-if-your-fish-tank-is-tempered-glass/

From that site...didn't realize tempered glass has such powers as to prevent my hands from moving! No wonder pinball is hard it's the glass I tell you!

"If you put your hand in front of the fish tank which is made of tempered glass, then whilst viewing through the polarized glasses then you should not be able to use your hands due to reduction of reflected light."

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Well it was about 10 years ago and I was in better shape than most people 10 years or more younger. I could bench 350 and squat 450. It wasn't like I was standing there drooling over her and staring obviously at her tits either, we were carrying on a conversation. I was checking her out of course but I do have some tact. Its a funny story to most but if I remember correctly you are one of those Social Justice Warriors who just loves to get offended over a cause that doesn't concern him and that no one asked him to be so of course you wouldn't find it funny. As for now, I am just an old guy who needs to get back into the gym.

#37 7 years ago

Kudos to you for saying something Pezpunk. And kudos to zr11990 for the story. If no one objects how would you know it's objectionable? What's right and wrong is a conversation that should keep happening as long as people exist. One person's opinion is only a data point. If you regularly have people tell you change behavior x then you probably should figure out why.

#38 7 years ago

best pinside thread ever.

#39 7 years ago

I'm glad the OP didn't get hurt, but I wonder... Do you often lean on a game's glass? I don't think I have ever leaned on the glass, it just wouldn't feel natural.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

If you regularly have people tell you change behavior x then you probably should figure out why.

Yep. Pez will catch on sooner or later.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I'm glad the OP didn't get hurt, but I wonder... Do you often lean on a game's glass? I don't think I have ever leaned on the glass, it just wouldn't feel natural.

Not a hard lean at all .. just talking and looking into the machine with the owner .we were both amazed at what happened..

#42 7 years ago

One episode of the Coinbox Pinball podcast they mentioned seeing someone let their kid run across the glass on all the games in a row. I think Chris had the bartender go tell the lady that was not allowed. I don't remember which episode but it was a long time ago.
http://coinbox.libsyn.com/

#43 7 years ago

How many of you have cats that sit on the head of you pin and jump down with a thunk. I'm thinking regular glass would shatter. I also think regular glass would shatter when a ball jumped up and hit it, say as in Whitwater. Crash

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Do you often lean on a game's glass? I don't think I have ever leaned on the glass, it just wouldn't feel natural.

Quite often. Tempered glass when installed is super tough. AS I've said before I've only every seen 1 glass shatter from hitting it or the lockdown bar.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

believe it or not most people prefer to be treated like actual people, not a walking pair of tits. if someone walks up to a pinball machine, the default assumption should be that she is there to PLAY PINBALL, not to sexually gratify a stranger.

I understand your point. I'm just saying, you seem to portray everyone that glances at someone is this huge nasty looking degenerate, just hunched over drooling on the floor like a cave troll. You can naturally glance without even being seen if your slick about it.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I lean on mine all the time, and actually kneeled and sat on it sometime when doing alot of work in the backbox.

#47 7 years ago

Another year of Pez outrage/thread fucking Can't blame one for trying to get their beliefs across

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

How many of you have cats that sit on the head of you pin and jump down with a thunk. I'm thinking regular glass would shatter. I also think regular glass would shatter when a ball jumped up and hit it, say as in Whitwater. Crash

The glass is thick so it's quite strong... which is why people don't realize it's not tempered. It always seems to be weight.. or slams.. that break them.

#49 7 years ago

Very first pin I bought, it was a JD I purchased on Ebay from BarryWNJ. It finally arrived and I was so excited. I literally wouldn't have even known how to take the glass off at this point. The game arrived with a cardboard shroud over the head. It was folded down on the cabinet. I lifted the head and when I did a wad of 6 pinballs crashed through my playfield glass.

Someone had put the balls on top of the head, slid cardboard sleeve on then folded head down. Might not have been terrible, but the glass was thin plate and it broke into dangerous large shards. It was also a rude introduction to pinball for my girlfriend (and me to a degree), since my first week playing was with no glass, lol. Anyway, there was tons of shit wrong with that pin, but I learned alot about repair and who not to buy from on Ebay.

#50 7 years ago

I normally don't say much but, I don't think I've ever read a thread that Pez commented in that didn't immediately go south.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

$ 45.95
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tempered-glass-a-must?hl=tux and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.