IMG_0604 (resized).jpg
IMG_0610 (resized).jpg
glass (resized).jpg
20170103180513314 (resized).jpg
20170103180522797 (resized).jpg
Hand-slice-2012 (resized).jpg
well-that-escalated-jmg8n6 (resized).jpg
download (48) (resized).jpg
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Quite often. Tempered glass when installed is super tough. AS I've said before I've only every seen 1 glass shatter from hitting it or the lockdown bar.

My GB Pro must be slightly off being square (not a level issue) the glass literally takes me both hands like Spiderman applying tons of down force to be able to remove the glass. Once I get it slid down a bit its okay, but literally it's so tight it's scary. I was an auto glass installer for years so I'm familiar with the strength of tempered and it still had me uneasy at first.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Once I get it slid down a bit its okay, but literally it's so tight it's scary.

Yeah not a good feeling.

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Another year of Pez outrage/thread fucking Can't blame one for trying to get their beliefs across

His beliefs or someone else's. He and trunchbull are so busy taking up everyone else's issues as their own cause. Maybe they should stay in the transgender section where they can protect the vulnerables

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Hey that's great I'm sure she was thrilled to have a gross old dude staring at her tits (so thrilled that she immediately ratted you out when you broke the glass). It is so weird to me that you would objectify and creep out a young woman and think it is cool to brag about that? That's one of the saddest, most pathetic posts I've ever read on here. I feel bad for you.

You're ASSuming she did not choose to play that particular game just to check HIM out. Women have hormones and eyes as well as men..

#55 7 years ago

The day boob-oogling became not okay on Pinside was the day Pinside died.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

His beliefs or someone else's.

Agree or not, Pez has always been the same since I've been here. If a post can be seen by him as disrespectful he's going to show up and post aboot it, that's just Pez.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from canea:

The day boob-oogling became not okay on Pinside was the day Pinside died.

If boobies weren't meant to be ogled they would not be put into push up bras and left pretty much uncovered for all to see.

Women are like works of art. Look at them and enjoy their beauty with respect and awe.

#58 7 years ago

You MUST have tempered glass on location games, unless you want to get sued when the glass breaks and someone gets hurt.

#59 7 years ago

I have an old woodrail with non-tempered glass.

This might be a stupid question, but what's a good way to dispose of it? It can be bashed apart, but then its like a collection of small scalpels.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

This might be a stupid question, but what's a good way to dispose of it?

Much like old carpet, bathtubs, & work buckets full of cement; THe dumpster by my work in the middle of the night works well.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I know, right? My wife gets hit on in all kinds of places. It's almost irritating...almost..
I think the best one was the guy that talked shit about me to my wife, not realizing who she was. He clearly didn't know we were married, she didn't get his name, so I went up and talked to the guy. Total creeper. Haven't ever seen him at that location again.

there deff out there man.

#62 7 years ago

Me too. My 1956 4 Bagger has a piece of plate glass in it. It's been a ticking time bomb for 61 years.

#63 7 years ago

Scary stuff . It did break so easy .
And there's all kinds a people out there ... women scope men and men scope women.. never bothered me it's instinct haha.. but my gal is a fox and she's tough.. we also build Hot rods together... if she's not bothered by it I don't worry.. if she is then there's a issue.. other then that no worries...

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

You MUST have tempered glass on location games, unless you want to get sued when the glass breaks and someone gets hurt.

Some glass shops will accept it for recycling.

#66 7 years ago

I've found widebodies to have the higher number of subpar sheet glass
By the way: all this talk/language about objectifying and sexism is over. We're entering the Trump era

#67 7 years ago

Another risk of plate glass is slicing your hand when you remove it from the game. Those edges can be sharp!

Here is a picture from 2012. Luckily I did not feel it when it happened, but the plate glass from a WMS Magic Clock did the deed.

Hand-slice-2012 (resized).jpgHand-slice-2012 (resized).jpg

Marcus

#68 7 years ago

I don't think I have any plate glass right now for comparison, but here's some tempered glass.

20170103180513314 (resized).jpg20170103180513314 (resized).jpg

20170103180522797 (resized).jpg20170103180522797 (resized).jpg

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Another risk of plate glass is slicing your hand when you remove it from the game. Those edges can be sharp!
Here is a picture from 2012. Luckily I did not feel it when it happened, but the plate glass from a WMS Magic Clock did the deed.

Marcus

Whaaaaa. Ya wiener

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't think I have any plate glass right now for comparison, but here's some tempered glass.

Yup.. if you also slide it out on look down the edge ... plus there should be a small stamp in one of the corners... and tempered scratches easy ...

#71 7 years ago

Sheesh ForceFlow, I know where to go when everyone else is sold out of tempered glass if I need some. I think I'm going to start upgrading to Invisiglass on my games.

#73 7 years ago

Strong? I would say so.

#74 7 years ago

Here's another old vid I pulled out.
One of my favourite vids...

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

Strong? I would say so.
» YouTube video

That's an amazing demonstration.

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Sheesh ForceFlow, I know where to go when everyone else is sold out of tempered glass if I need some. I think I'm going to start upgrading to Invisiglass on my games.

Heh, I picked up a whole stack at a show one year for a good price.

Most glass shops can get sheets of tempered glass no problem...you may have to shop around for the best price, though.

#78 7 years ago

Glad to see that my ignored user list is doing its job. Why am I not surprised that the offensive comments made are of an apparently chauvinistic nature. Oh that's right. It's cause almost all of my ignore list is full of guys who have gone out of their way to be offensive regarding women.

Keep it classy Pinside.
And Ignored User, I have some non tempered glass for you if you want it....

#79 7 years ago

I still can't believe you want $10,000.00 for this. Oops, wrong thread.... Getting harder and harder to tell these days.

#80 7 years ago

Wow... those test videos are crazy ... strooooong stuff.. I knew it was but dam...

#81 7 years ago

So how about not leaning on glass because get this- it could break? Must've missed that day in kindergarten!

#82 7 years ago

Not pinball related but plate glass related. In Germany, most rooms in the modern houses have doors and it seems the ones to common rooms tend to have decorative glass in the middle. Well, we came back from a tour in Iraq and a young SGT was killed when his hand went thru the glass in the kitchen door. Cut his wrist and bled out in minutes. Nasty stuff.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

plus there should be a small stamp in one of the corners...

None of mine do. you can ask when you get them made not to have the stamp. I dont like the way it looks.

#84 7 years ago

The mark that identifies a piece of glass that is built into the glass by the factory doing the tempering is called a "bug".

Homepin has chosen not to put a bug in our glass but rather we are screen printing the corner with the full details of the glass as required by law in many countries (including the USA).

One way of telling it is tempered (if you are lucky) is look for the small cork spacers that are often used by the company that does the actual tempering. This will probably be a different place from the one that actually cuts the glass to size. They use the cork squares at the place we use to stack many sheets at a time so they can go into the oven.

I'm sure there are many other ways to temper glass but this is the way the place we use does it.

glass (resized).jpgglass (resized).jpg

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

best pinside thread ever.

Really? Seems a little transparent to me

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I normally don't say much but, I don't think I've ever read a thread that Pez commented in that didn't immediately go south.

Well if he is a SJW and not a skillful troll thats how everything goes when those guys show up, wether its facebook, pinside, youtube or any other parts of society.

Professional NO FUN ALLOWED police, those people.

ANYWAY, i never lean on glass i dont know if its temperated or not, i dont want to cut my arms up or fill a game up with glass cubes

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

So how about not leaning on glass because get this- it could break? Must've missed that day in kindergarten!

Tempered wont break by leaning . And that's odd you learned that in grade school.

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

None of mine do. you can ask when you get them made not to have the stamp. I dont like the way it looks.

Gotcha..

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Tempered wont break by leaning . And that's odd you learned that in grade school.

#90 7 years ago

Dumb question, but how is glass tempered exactly? What is the process?

Edit: Turns out I know how to use google.

"Toughened glass can be made from annealed glass via a thermal tempering process. The glass is placed onto a roller table, taking it through a furnace that heats it well above its transition temperature of 564 °C (1,047 °F) to around 620 °C (1,148 °F)."

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

[WELL THAT ESCALATED QUICKLY MEME]

This is 10x funnier because of its perfect positioning -- it looks like Ron Burgundy is gazing right up at the red "post was moderated" line.

#92 7 years ago

Only on Pinside can a thread about fuckin SHEETS OF GLASS turn into a debate over sexism, tits, and morals and ethics.

But I guess that's why I keep coming back here haha

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Only on Pinside can a thread about fuckin SHEETS OF GLASS turn into a debate over sexism, tits, and morals and ethics.
But I guess that's why I keep coming back here haha

Haha.. I know man.
Killin me... and I think everyone I know leans on there machines .. lol..

#95 7 years ago

I belive these were not tempered backglass either ? Broke easy from what I hear ?

#96 7 years ago

My buddy has a couple ww2 bsckglass pieces from a kit for soldiers .. very very cool .. expensive as hell... plate glass and very fragile as well...

#97 7 years ago

....So I was talking to Milltown when this happened...No excessive force or disrespect to the machine at all, just leaning on lock bar really and bullshitting ..then crack. Totally surprised, actually took a couple of seconds to realize what happened.

Very happy no one got hurt, also very happy that I found out it had regular glass as it located at end of a row of pins and the whole length of the glass is exposed and easily accessible by people walking by. It never occurred to me that someone would be as foolish as to replace with standard glass.

I have several grand kids that play and fear things could have been a lot worse. I'm going to check all my machines that don't have a stamp or etching to make sure they're all tempered.

I think I should say.. Thanks Milltown!

#98 7 years ago

not all tempered will have a logo, you can order it without one. So just because it doesn't have one, that doesn't mean it isn't. Just have to look for more evidence .

#99 7 years ago

The other thing is I have had the ball shoot up and strike the glass quite hard before, with plate, it could shatter that way as well.

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

The other thing is I have had the ball shoot up and strike the glass quite hard before, with plate, it could shatter that way as well.

The glass will sometimes just inexplicably shatter. This happened to Pinside moderator Marcus not too long ago (maybe three months ago). I've heard of it happening to others as well. Just a temparture change can sometimes trigger it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 18.95
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tempered-glass-a-must/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.