4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by xTheBlackKnightx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Hey guys, long story short, I have two workshops. One is temperature controlled and closer to my pins, the other is non-temperature controlled. It gets well below freezing here in the winter and very humid in the summer. For all of you guys who have a similar setup, what can you store in the non-temperature controlled workshop without concerns of corrosion or damage due to the elements? I have most of what you would expect for restoration work:

Hand tools
    Ultrasonic cleaners
    Tumblers
    Bottom playfield parts - flipper assemblies, coil sleeves, etc.
    Top playfield parts - plastics, rubbers, etc.
    DMDs and boards
    Coils, diodes, connectors, other electronic parts
    LEDs
    Soldering Iron, De-soldering, etc.
    Cleaning supplies
    Playfields
    Rattle cans

It's not an exhaustive list, just examples. I would like to keep as much as I can in the non-temp controlled workshop to keep the temp controlled space cleaner and more organized. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

#2 4 years ago

It depends on too many things to sum up.

Is the shop insulated?

How about the dew point in your location?

-

For instance, if your table saw becomes cold in a non insulated garage at night, and then the air temp rises faster than the temp of the table saw; dew will form on the cast iron surface, causing it to rust.

Same with the table on your drill press, joiner, bandsaw......

An insulated garage can usually avoid this issue.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It depends on too many things to sum up.
    Is the shop insulated?
    -
    For instance, if your table saw becomes cold in a non insulated garage at night, and then the air temp rises faster than the temp of the table saw; dew will form on the cast iron surface, causing it to rust.
    Same with the table on your drill press, joiner, bandsaw......
    An insulated garage can usually avoid this issue.

Thanks vid, the non-temp controlled workshop is attached and insulated.

#4 4 years ago

Anyone else have a similar set up?

#5 4 years ago

I try not risk my equipment so I keep my shop controlled all the time heat and ac

#6 4 years ago

Keep electronic PCBs out of non temp controlled. Most normal parts are fine including coils. Keep sensitive equipment out of non temp controlled. If you have a lot of humidity, you are going to remedy that with a dehumidifier.

Some common sense applies here.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bonnevil69:

I try not risk my equipment so I keep my shop controlled all the time heat and ac

Yeah, I would keep everything in my temp controlled shop but I'm really trying to keep that as neat and as organized as possible. If I can utilize my secondary shop for mostly everything, that would be ideal.

Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Keep electronic PCBs out of non temp controlled. Most normal parts are fine including coils. Keep sensitive equipment out of non temp controlled. If you have a lot of humidity, you are going to remedy that with a dehumidifier.
    Some common sense applies here.

Yeah, keeping boards out is common sense but some other parts are not, at least not to me. What about LEDs? Do the leads rust? You mentioned most normal parts are fine including coils, I would have guessed otherwise. That's why I asked, it seems like a fine line. Then again, maybe it just depends on how anal someone is about their parts.

That leads me to another question for you guys that have a shop in a garage. Is there a superior garage door setup for climate control? Mine is insulated but I can see daylight through some of the weather stripping around the side of the door and it seems pointless to use a mini-split or humidifier if its not sealed up tight.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Vid, would this be a good solution to determine Dew Point?

https://www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org/store/environmental-monitoring/pem2-datalogger

https://www.eclimatenotebook.com/

#9 4 years ago

For clarification.

I have spare pinball parts in plastic bags in storage boxes in my garages all over the world for over 25 years. There are no issues. I just don't keep PCBS, ICs, or backglasses in non-climate controlled storage.

#10 4 years ago

You can see the dewpoint for your location here:

https://weather.com/maps/currentdewpoint

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

For clarification.
    I have spare pinball parts in plastic bags in storage boxes in my garages all over the world for over 25 years. There are no issues. I just don't keep PCBS, ICs, or backglasses in non-climate controlled storage.

I wouldn't have thought spare playfields and some playfield parts would do well in non-climate controlled environments. Good to know.

Quoted from vid1900:

You can see the dewpoint for your location here:
    https://weather.com/maps/currentdewpoint

Thanks Vid, I guess my question should have been are those good solutions to "track" due point and determine if its a proper environment rather than "calculate". Regardless, that will be an interesting piece to add to the home automation system.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Glarrownage:

I wouldn't have thought spare playfields and some playfield parts would do well in non-climate controlled environments. Good to know.

Some more helpful details.

The plastic bags I mentioned is how to avoid moisture problems unless your area is moisture saturated.
    As the moisture can be trapped in the ziplock bags.

If you have excessive moisture in your storage area, blank playfields WILL warp over the long term.
    They need to be stored properly, in their boxes preferably, sealed, or at least upright.

However, you can make a simple sealed "storage closet" and use a room humidifiers/dehumidifier with no issues.
    All you have to use is 2X4s, plywood, and edge sealant.
    Amazing what you can do with simple building materials.
    If you have a LOT of playfields (NOS, used, repo, etc), you may want to consider this option.
    I have friends with stacks of used playfields in their shop under those conditions.
    Right now I have a number of repo playfields "in the open air" letting the clear coat further cure for the next few months before I box them up again.

Game playfields will "plank" under the same circumstances, but can be remedied by using a things like a guitar case humidifier in the cabinet. However, this also is dependent on how they are handled during maintenance. Using factory cheater bars will cause negative torque twisting which can cause the cracking, along with the type of playfield coating used for protection.

I really don't know how severe your specific are in WV is overall, Vid offered some research.

I had games in storage "vaults" for over a decade (Many in individual crates), and when they came out of storage, they were almost untouched. Granted all needed technical inspection and servicing, mostly on simple things like switches, diodes, ICs and power voltages because nothing had been operated. No pinball machine does well indefinitely, if they never get played, although EMs operate the best when the are played regularly. SS games need the "love" too.

The one thing that will happen regardless if the games are perfectly climate controlled or not is the "white corrosion" oxidation which occurs on galvanized steel.
    The older the game gets, the more it happens.
    This is not "dangerous" except for electronics, optos, and PCBs.
    The metal can be cleaned and polished.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    SIlverball In Play
    $ 131.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 36.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Pinball Mod Co.
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinwize.com
    $ 218.00
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 119.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Starcade Amusement
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    £ 37.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 150.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside