Phantom of the Paradise - 4 (resized).jpg
riding_in_64_Malibu-RepoMan (resized).jpg
RepoMan-cop-whatsinthetrunk (resized).jpg
movie_poster-RepoMan-1984 (resized).jpg
worst-election-ever-542x376 (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
ted_avatar_2 (resized).jpg
logo (resized).jpg

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 6 years ago

Back in the 1990s, Nintendo was trying to develop a CD add on for their Super Nintendo system to compete with the Sega CD. Since they didn't want to allocate the resources themselves to do it, so they commissioned Sony to do it.

Sony went on to create pretty much an entire console for Nintendo (they had already created the sound chip for their Super Nintendo, so the relationship was already established). Nintendo said "Lol, nah. We changed our minds." And awarded the contract to Phillips.

Part of Phillip's contract with Nintendo, was that they could use their IP in some games. Thus the absolute worst Zelda games were born:
Link: The Faces of Evil
Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon
Zelda's Adventure

These games were ABYSMAL. Horrible. So bad, that Nintendo doesn't even officially recognize them, even though they're technically licensed.

My avatar is the Link from those terrible horrible games. Why? Because I don't know. I guess it's so bad, they're good. And I'm a massive Zelda and Nintendo fan. You can view the cutscenes from the game:

But what became of Sony, caught with their pants down? After having developed the hardware for Nintendo, they said "What do we do with the thing we made?" and then some Japanese guy said "Lets call it the playstation and release it."

And they did. And Nintendo inadvertently created their own worst nightmare of competition.

#52 6 years ago

Mine is art by the artist Rocky Davies. I got no connection to the artist, I just like his art.
http://www.rockydavies.com/?portfolio=crazy-80s-albums-vol-2

#53 6 years ago

Just an abstract photo I had recently taken when I decided to add an avatar pic.

The photo is a tree nearby, internally lit with a couple spotlights. I put the camera on a tripod pointing up into the tree at night, and zoomed the lens while shooting a slow exposure.

#54 6 years ago

User name & avatar are a play on words and it's what I scream when a ball drains SDTM

#55 6 years ago

Mine is of a video game character named Cuphead. The artwork is in the style of 1930’s cartoons. I just like it.

#56 6 years ago

I lived in Egypt for my job from 1998 to 2000...at the time, I was setting up an email address and I could only use 8 characters max for my email name. I figured that with me and my family being in Egypt, the logical choice would be Egypt R Us, hence the pinside name. Avatar is a picture of the pyramids in Cairo, Egypt.

Dave

#57 6 years ago

My buddy is the head of marketing at Two Brothers Brewing Company out of Warrenville, IL. One night while playing pinball we came up with an idea for a pinball beer. After pitching it to the "Two Brothers" a couple times they agreed to the idea and now Pinball Juicy Hop Pale Ale is their number two selling beer. Im proud of its existence and share it whenever I can.

#58 6 years ago

Mine is myself and grandson in the UP coming up the drive from snowshoeing.

I love winter as long as its cold and snowy.

#59 6 years ago

LIONMAN!

#60 6 years ago

I work onboard ships. Toot toot!

#62 6 years ago

The first pin I owned was a Rocky and Bullwinkle and the biggest part of the restoration was drawing and applying all new cabinet decals. I took the opportunity to correct Bullsie's mis-shapen nose and add some shading and detail. This is a photo of the result.

Also, it goes with my screen name, which is what R&B calls its Grand Champion.

#63 6 years ago

Mine is the St. Louis Arch being built. It's an engineering wonder considering what they had to do to pull it off. I'm also an engineer so I give it the respect if deserves.

#64 6 years ago

I love pinball art.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Mine is the St. Louis Arch being built. It's an engineering wonder considering what they had to do to pull it off. I'm also an engineer so I give it the respect if deserves.

It is an amazing story. Never in a million years could we do something like that again. What they did there was crazy and would violate about 800 different safety laws today.

#67 6 years ago

Mine is called a unicursal hexagram and I use it everywhere I need an avatar.

Aleister Crowley developed it to use with his system of magick to replace the standard 6 pointed star because it can be drawn with a single line rather than 2. The star (6) represents what is above, the flower (5) represents what is below, which is why it points down. "As above, so below" is what it represents, according to Crowley, which I liken to saying God and man are one in the same (I don't believe Crowley would agree. I'm atheist, he wasn't; though he didn't abide standard religion, creating his own instead - Thelema).

I don't practice or believe in magick but find all things occult and esoteric fascinating.

So ends your unwanted lesson of the day!

TL;DR: I think it looks cool.

#68 6 years ago

At some point I used androidify to make an avatar for use with something android related. I was wearing a jeans and green shirt that day and I had a coffee in one hand and my phone in the other. I've used it a lot since.

#69 6 years ago

My favorite band.

IMG_1692 (resized).JPGIMG_1692 (resized).JPG

#70 6 years ago

Mine is of the greatest country singer ever, Waylon Jennings.

IMG_4128 (resized).JPGIMG_4128 (resized).JPG

#71 6 years ago

Filthy sword trick area from pinball magic I was shopping at the time.
I don't believe in changing avatars so I guess this will be it forever.

#72 6 years ago

Devin Townsend related (one of my favorite artists [musician]). In this case, Ziltoid, an alien that comes to Earth in search of the finest cup of coffee. When presented with crappy coffee, there is war...and planet smashing.

Zilt (resized).jpgZilt (resized).jpg

#73 6 years ago

My avatar is the spooky Space Kook from Scooby Doo and my name is a play on the Mountain Dew commercials.

SD space kook 3.gifSD space kook 3.gif

#74 6 years ago

Always wanted a 67 mustang, and the last Shelby edition made before Carroll Shelby died. So they sit in my garage.

#75 6 years ago

I like tuna.

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from fuseholder:

Mine is of the greatest country singer ever, Waylon Jennings.

Second best . Hank Williams #1 . "See you next week the good lord willing and the creeks don't rise" Hank Williams ended his radio broadcast with that phrase !!

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Ultima IV -- captured my imagination like no other game...spent many hours on the Apple ][ playing it, even wrote a program to extract the map data and print it out, I had a huge map on my closet door.

That game took more hours of game play to complete than any other game I have ever played in my life! Fun times

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Smith:

That game took more hours of game play to complete than any other game I have ever played in my life! Fun times

Yup. Good, non-linear game. I think 5 was my favourite in the series though.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

"As above, so below" is what it represents, according to Crowley, which I liken to saying God and man are one in the same (I don't believe Crowley would agree. I'm atheist, he wasn't; though he didn't abide standard religion, creating his own instead - Thelema).
I don't practice or believe in magick but find all things occult and esoteric fascinating.
So ends your unwanted lesson of the day!
TL;DR: I think it looks cool.

Regardless of my opinions on Crowley, As above, so below is an old esoteric Alchemy phrase, essentially describing the secrets to understanding the universe. It can be interpreted a variety of ways but my personal favorite is the view that it means we are our own gods, as we are the masters of our own destiny and such. We create as we see fit, thus, as a god does, so do we.
It was also a terrific psychological horror movie that anyone interested in the occult and history would love. It was a very neat movie, in that movie the phrase means "as I see it, so it shall be" very literally meaning: the world as you see it, is the truth.

Had to jump in there, I'm always into those sorts of things. I'll talk about my Avi in a separate comment.

#80 6 years ago

Pong is awesome! Especially when it almost being the harbinger of the death for pinball now is the one looking forlorn at Silverball Museum sitting next to the bathroom and having a chud like me posing next to it haha.

#81 6 years ago

Mine is one I really like - It's my first born son Ben, age 3 I believe, walking up to discover "his" pinball machine Super Mario Bros Mushroom World at the Midwest Gaming Classic. He's now seven and loves the show just as much and shows up all the time in our promotional stuff. I threw in a picture of my other son, Elias, age 2 in this picture and still age 2 now, enjoying playing an arcade game since Ben shows up way more often.

12512489_960066940739950_7073079736242270090_n (resized).jpg12512489_960066940739950_7073079736242270090_n (resized).jpg
15965419_1212562115490430_1199467073823823107_n (resized).jpg15965419_1212562115490430_1199467073823823107_n (resized).jpg

#82 6 years ago

My Avatar was drawn for me by my darling, Arvie, who I drag along on all my pinball purchases. She's a very talented artist, with great command of multiple media.
She drew me up a "quick doodle" and I really love the emotion it captures so simply. It's also the only picture that was PERFECT avatar size. She was quite embarrassed when I showed her that I use it. Arvie's always so shy about her artwork, but I enjoy sharing it as it's incredibly good and she could probably go on and work at Pixar or Disney or something... maybe some day!
(I'm always the blue one, and she's always the grey one)
IMG_7756.PNGIMG_7756.PNG
Here's a couple of my favorites!
IMG_7758.PNGIMG_7758.PNG
IMG_7757.PNGIMG_7757.PNG

#83 6 years ago

About 10 years ago I was kinda drunk and bored with my digital camera, photoshop, and model railroad:

SCC3VERT2 (resized).jpgSCC3VERT2 (resized).jpg

(For what it's worth, the Canadian Pacific Railway "Multimark" logo predates Pac-Man by over a decade!)

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Sony went on to create pretty much an entire console for Nintendo

This thing?

IMAG0628 (resized).jpgIMAG0628 (resized).jpg

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Hank Williams #1 . "See you next week the good lord willing and the creeks don't rise" Hank Williams ended his radio broadcast with that phrase !!

I would assume after his son was born, during radio performances he would send a message to his boy, closing shows by saying, “Don’t worry, Bocephus, I’m coming home.”

LTG : )

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Regardless of my opinions on Crowley, As above, so below is an old esoteric Alchemy phrase, essentially describing the secrets to understanding the universe. It can be interpreted a variety of ways but my personal favorite is the view that it means we are our own gods, as we are the masters of our own destiny and such. We create as we see fit, thus, as a god does, so do we.
It was also a terrific psychological horror movie that anyone interested in the occult and history would love. It was a very neat movie, in that movie the phrase means "as I see it, so it shall be" very literally meaning: the world as you see it, is the truth.
Had to jump in there, I'm always into those sorts of things. I'll talk about my Avi in a separate comment.

Thanks for the extra info! I haven't seen that movie. Will have to check it out.

As for Crowley, his is one of the very few biographies that I've read. He lived a very interesting life, and I can see how whatever opinion you may have of him would be valid.

#87 6 years ago

Not my first choice. Apparently my option #1 (at the bottom) is too small.

And yes, it's pretty much me in real life, sans the beer and cigarettes (I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs). I just started Googling around and found the Gilligan pinball decal (I think) and thought "Hey, that's me!" and used that for my avatar instead. More appropriate I guess, what this being a Pinball forum and all....

Couch potato (resized).jpgCouch potato (resized).jpg

#88 6 years ago

Mine is how people describe me at parties.

#89 6 years ago

Mine is me and my German Shepherd Bohdi that we had to say goodbye to 2 yrs ago. It's the only selfie I've ever taken. It was taken the last summer he was here..

#90 6 years ago

Mine is my Star Race BG.

#91 6 years ago

My avatar took on special significance yesterday when the actor who played him passed away, but originally I chose it because it's how I picture some of the more vociferous conversations on here in my head.

RIP Mr. Lahey

#92 6 years ago

I choose this picture because it is really about me. I am a high altitude excavator! The machine in the picture is my first excavator (on a job site) and the back round is an overview of my mountain community. The picture was taken in early March. WHTHRS represents White Horse which is the name of my mining claim "White Horse Lode" that I built my cabin on. (it also helps that I am a Bronco fan) Yes even after this weeks debacle

#93 6 years ago

mine is a revised picture of Grimace from McDonalds sippin some of that sizzurp (Robitussin).

5Ovpcin (resized).png5Ovpcin (resized).png

PurpleDrank (resized).jpgPurpleDrank (resized).jpg

#94 6 years ago

Mine is tied into my user name which is my favorite Harrison Ford line from American graffiti.

#95 6 years ago

My old avatar was my Mii playing a miniature Funhouse model I have, which I took using the AR Camera feature on a 3DS. In my current avatar, I used Miitomo to take a picture of my Mii playing my Stargate. I was really happy with being able to make a nice, hi-res version of my original idea! Overall it pretty much just represents my two biggest hobbies, pinball and (mostly Nintendo) gaming.

Edit: Woah, I just realized that today marks exactly three years for me on Pinside!

#96 6 years ago

I'm a big Milwaukee Brewers fan and the ball and glove logo is the best logo in sports. Some may not be aware but the logo, although intended to look like a ball and glove, also features a lowercase "m" and "b" for Milwaukee Brewers.

#97 6 years ago

Mine comes from this: http://massivedynamic.com
(remember the TV series "Fringe")
As a rogue scientist, I can identify myself with Walter Bishop, except I do not have a cow in my lab. Yet.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

The most fearsome war machine in history.

My mother-in-law ?

#99 6 years ago

Mine is Miner Willy from Manic Miner. The first computer game I owned.

IMG_1740.GIFIMG_1740.GIF

#100 6 years ago

Tiger my favorite animal.
Big Game my first pin.
Perfect.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball
Various other swag
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art
Decorations
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tell-us-about-your-avatars/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.