(Topic ID: 262718)

*SOLVED* Tell me what was wrong with my F-14 and win a prize.

By Beechwood

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by fireball2
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20200224_162336 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200224_145920 (resized).jpg
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago

I just shit myself, so I will clean up, go to bed and sleep this off.

If no one guesssssses the correct answer by noon (12 pm EST) tomorrow, I will reveal the true reason this son of a bitch was f**ked up.

Not like anyone cares... this is just pinball after all.

Hey, it's only pinball

#52 4 years ago

Flasher shorted to a coil?

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Getting closer, but no.
    C'mon... who wants those bitchin Solo cups?? That is like a $0.49 value.
    Gawd....

I predict the secondary market will be insane for these.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from Completist:

I predict the secondary market will be insane for these.

I'm banking on it, I got like 198 of these bitches in reserve when the dam breaks.

BOOM! Easy street.

#55 4 years ago

On the upper loop the switch brackets bent over and shorted to the flasher bases.

LTG : )

#56 4 years ago

If I win- I am quitting my job and giving my boss the F.U.

#57 4 years ago

Flex LED shorting against a switch.

#58 4 years ago

You were eating a fried bologna and cheese sammy while working on ur game and accidentally dripped pork n beef grease into the wrong place causing Pinball drama from within?!

BTW you should be a game show host since you know every quip in the book

#59 4 years ago

Plug on cpu board missing keying pin reversed.

#60 4 years ago

Bent leaf switch touching a bulb base (or touching something else it shouldn't).

#61 4 years ago

Great, he went to bed and now we’re all gonna be up all night trying to figure this sh*t out

#62 4 years ago

Game has the flashers installed that they left out on the production games? Found out why they left them out?

#63 4 years ago

shorted coil on apron or pf brackets???

#64 4 years ago

You had a flasher lug touching a wire going to a coil => activating coils when flashers should have

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nihonmasa:

You had a flasher lug touching a wire going to a coil => activating coils when flashers should have

SO so close but no.

Honorable mention #1

Thanks for playing!

Quoted from dozer1:

Game has the flashers installed that they left out on the production games? Found out why they left them out?

Honorable mention #2

Correct, but not specific enough.

Thanks for playing!

Quoted from 1iblind:

Flex LED shorting against a switch.

Honorable mention #3

Again, correct but not specific enough.

You guys were on fire after I passed out HA.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Bent leaf switch touching a bulb base (or touching something else it shouldn't).

WINNER!!

All correct except the "bent" part.

An LED was not seated well (by previous owner) in between the stand up "C A T" targets.

After I raised the PF a few times, the base of the bulb was just barely touching the leaf switch.

Could hardly even see it.

Congrats! I hope you are local because the prize is pick up only, unless you live somewhere warm and I can get there for under the amount in my vacation fund ($14.27)

Thanks everyone for playing!! Peace out

Joel
    H.I.O.P.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I hope you are local because the prize is pick up only,

Not cool. Never mentioned that in any other post.

#68 4 years ago

Rigged....

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

Not cool. Never mentioned that in any other post.

YOU are CORRECT sir.

I will ship to the winner when he PM's me his location.

I hope he doesn't live in Australia (Noob Noob... God Damn!!)

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I mean a man of his word. Also who ever tried must really need;

Grand prize is: 2 BRAND NEW Solo Cups (red in color), 4 gently used 555 bulbs, and a piece of string (manufacture and length unknown)

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

And please be sure to pack it carefully...don't want that piece of string to be damaged in transit.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

I mean a man of his word. Also who ever tried must really need;
    Grand prize is: 2 BRAND NEW Solo Cups (red in color), 4 gently used 555 bulbs, and a piece of string (manufacture and length unknown)

It seems he lives in Indiana, so I think I can cover shipping with my vacation fund.

But I will be sleeping with the chickens tonight when my wife finds out it is depleted.

#73 4 years ago

So the lesson is... dont install LEDs in your perfectly fine working game. It was not designed to use them, it does not need them.

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

WINNER!!
    All correct except the "bent" part.
    An LED was not seated well (by previous owner) in between the stand up "C A T" targets.
    After I raised the PF a few times, the base of the bulb was just barely touching the leaf switch.
    Could hardly even see it.
    Congrats! I hope you are local because the prize is pick up only, unless you live somewhere warm and I can get there for under the amount in my vacation fund ($14.27)
    Thanks everyone for playing!! Peace out
    Joel
    H.I.O.P.

LOL. Of course I had a similar problem...with a Freedom EM. Turn on the pin, *something* would happen at some point (I think when I hit the start button). Poof would go the 8A fuse. I'm an EE, but now I was faced with what seemed to be countless relays...I figured one of them HAD to be turning on when it shouldn't. Out came the old schematic and a road trip to find 8A fuses. Countless hours with numerous 'aha!' moments, all that ended in dead ends. Grrrr...

Not sure how I stumbled upon it, but it was plain as day when I saw it. The shorter side of the leaf switch must have gotten nailed pretty good. Bent 90 degrees, right up against the base of a bulb. I have a 3d printer so I printed a collar. Problem solved.

No need to send a short distance to Indiana...fun was guessing (almost) right!
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#75 4 years ago

Fun thread. GG sir.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

LOL. Of course I had a similar problem...with a Freedom EM. Turn on the pin, *something* would happen at some point (I think when I hit the start button). Poof would go the 8A fuse. I'm an EE, but now I was faced with what seemed to be countless relays...I figured one of them HAD to be turning on when it shouldn't. Out came the old schematic and a road trip to find 8A fuses. Countless hours with numerous 'aha!' moments, all that ended in dead ends. Grrrr...
    Not sure how I stumbled upon it, but it was plain as day when I saw it. The shorter side of the leaf switch must have gotten nailed pretty good. Bent 90 degrees, right up against the base of a bulb. I have a 3d printer so I printed a collar. Problem solved.
    No need to send a short distance to Indiana...fun was guessing (almost) right!
    [quoted image]

Just goes to show how crazy repairs can be. Needle in a haystack.

Glad you enjoyed the thread.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

the amount in my vacation fund ($14.27)

Is that a Roger Miller "Dang Me" reference?

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

Is that a Roger Miller "Dang Me" reference?

I don't know who or what that is... so no.

#79 4 years ago

Quoted from Beechwood:

I don't know who or what that is

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tell-me-what-was-wrong-with-my-f-14-and-win-a-prize/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.