Tell me what to buy! :)

By AMartin56

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I'm a previous collector that sold all my pins back in 2019. I had an AFM, CV, Doctor Who, Firepower and a Dredd.

I've decided to get back into collecting but wish to stick to newer pins (or ultimately NIB) because I started dreading all the maintenance and wish to avoid major repairs for as long as possible. I don't mind minor stuff at all.

I have a Godzilla Premium on the way. Should be here in about a week. And I'm looking for at least one pin to go with it with our collection eventually maxing out at maybe four.

I have my eye on and have played/researched the following. Just curious about what people think would make good companions for Godzilla. I'm mostly afraid of having 'too many Elwins'.

In no particular order:

Stranger Things. Seems like a slightly uglier AFM with a few additional fun shots. But at current pricing and availability it seems unlikely. I'm not convinced it's worth the time and effort to get one in such a small collection.

Monster Bash. We'd jump immediately if they remake it again..My girlfriend's favorite pin..

Theatre of Magic but only if we ever see a remake...I still regret buying CV instead of it.

Stern Jurassic Park. The ranking makes it compelling. I like the theme. Seems like a Premium is not mandatory. And It seems like a decent companion to Godzilla because it's more technical. But we're average players at best so maybe too technical? And while some people say it's too linear that might be nice with Godzilla being more wide open. We enjoy games like Laser Cue despite the bad art because the ruleset forces you to focus on one or two shots at a time. This is probably my first choice for a next purchase...

...except that I LOVE the layout and theme of AIQ. I just get cold feet about the investment since the reviews are very love / hate and other household members might get turned off by the ruleset. And a Premium seems to be a must. Decisions decisions...

That's pretty much it for now. We don't like Bond, Zeppelin or Rush. Foo Fighters looks great and fun it's just not something I see myself jumping on yet. We don't like the floaty feeling of JJPs, I don't want the potential hassle of a Spooky and I've never seen a Valhalla etc in the flesh and don't want to buy sight unseen.

Just curious to hear if any one else has been in a similar situation! Buying Godzilla was an easy no brainier! Picking the next one is hard!

#2 1 year ago

IMO the best modern pin to pair with Godzilla is... Deadpool. They pair together very well and play completely differently. Rounding those out I'd pick a CGC game. MMr is the best, but the others are not shabby. All are easily approachable and explainable to non-pin people. Cactus Canyon is plentiful at the moment.

To round it out I would... go to the biggest pinball convention in the country in 2 weeks near you and make an impulsive purchase after trying them all out.

All 4 should play very differently.

#3 1 year ago

I suggest going to TPF in two weeks and try all the new pins out. Distributors will have all the newest Stern, JJP, American and Spooky pins on freeplay.
https://pinside.com/pinball/events/texas-pinball-festival-tpf-2023

#4 1 year ago

Deadpool as Mr Cheese suggested. Easy.

#5 1 year ago

Be aware of spam websites - there’s a ton of them now, just want you to be aware. If some of them see this thread, they will smell blood in the water.

If the prices seem low or too good to be true, run.

As others suggested, go to the shows, and get the names of the show vendors. Spammers won’t go thru that much trouble (yet).

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

IMO the best modern pin to pair with Godzilla is... Deadpool. They pair together very well and play completely differently. Rounding those out I'd pick a CGC game. MMr is the best, but the others are not shabby. All are easily approachable and explainable to non-pin people. Cactus Canyon is plentiful at the moment.
To round it out I would... go to the biggest pinball convention in the country in 2 weeks near you and make an impulsive purchase after trying them all out.
All 4 should play very differently.

Thank you for the feedback..I was able play a Deadpool this past weekend (along with a AIQ, a JP and a number of other newer Sterns). It's just very hard to judge a game in a bar past a certain point especially when they were blown out (could barely make any ramps on AIQ due to weak flippers). And while I though Deadpool was fun unfortunately the art style just doesn't work for me at all.

And we'll definitely get in on a Chicago Gaming pin if they release MB (again) or ToM. But I prefer AFM to MM and I'd have to play CC since I like Continued on PROC but know no nothing about the remake code.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Be aware of spam websites - there’s a ton of them now, just want you to be aware. If some of them see this thread, they will smell blood in the water.
If the prices seem low or too good to be true, run.
As others suggested, go to the shows, and get the names of the show vendors. Spammers won’t go thru that much trouble (yet).

Thanks for the warning. I feel like I'm actually fairly savvy when it comes to that sort of thing. Part of the appeal of my short list is that most of them should be easily found via authorized Stern dealers this year.

#8 1 year ago

Heck, I say get an Elvira House of Horrors. It is a Stern game that actually plays like a Bally. If your girlfriend likes Monster Bash, she should love Elvira. The two titles share the same software designer and artist.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I suggest going to TPF in two weeks and try all the new pins out. Distributors will have all the newest Stern, JJP, American and Spooky pins on freeplay.
https://pinside.com/pinball/events/texas-pinball-festival-tpf-2023

I would agree with blue
Iam actually thinking of flying out there
I can get a round trip ticket that weekend for around $130

#10 1 year ago

If 4 really is the max, they would all have to be lcd stern for me.

Godzilla, Sth, JP and TMNT personally, but most are excellent.

Above 4 and i'm probably mixing in some CGC remakes or mint OG Bally/ Williams.

#11 1 year ago

JP would be a great choice. CGC remakes MBr and AFMr come up for sale every now and then but are not plentiful. Prices are high on those as well. On everything really. I agree with other posters go to TPF. You may find some other games you really like and also may be able to work a deal on something. Good luck and enjoy!

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from PappaDubz:

I would agree with blue
Iam actually thinking of flying out there
I can get a round trip ticket that weekend for around $130

Check TPF website for links to hotels with discount rates. I think there’s 7-8 within half mile waking distance.

400 pins on freeplay including all the newest releases.
2-3 food trucks in the courtyard from early morning to late at night.
Seminars by game designers and manufacturers.
Swap meet in parking lot early Saturday morning.
Join us!

#13 1 year ago

Congrats on finding a GZ premium, great choice. Fortunately you have places like Pinballz and Cidercade in your area to play new pins first hand. JP is another fine choice. Stranger Things layout has a AFM feel to it for me. Dialed In is the best shooting JJP IMHO. Good luck with your search

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Check TPF website for links to hotels with discount rates. I think there’s 7-8 within half mile waking distance.
400 pins on freeplay including all the newest releases.
2-3 food trucks in the courtyard from early morning to late at night.
Seminars by game designers and manufacturers.
Swap meet in parking lot early Saturday morning.
Join us!

Unfortunately my girlfriend and I have our kids on TPF weekend this year and they would both be bored to tears so the convention is a no-go. It's great fun though. I went twice about 10-12 years ago.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from tilt-master:

Congrats on finding a GZ premium, great choice. Fortunately you have places like Pinballz and Cidercade in your area to play new pins first hand. JP is another fine choice. Stranger Things layout has a AFM feel to it for me. Dialed In is the best shooting JJP IMHO. Good luck with your search

Thank you. We were at Cidercade last Saturday. Nice lineup. But AIQ was rejecting clean shots to pretty much all the ramps and even their Godzilla LE was a bit hard to play with the right ramp being a struggle too.I wish they were better maintained.

#16 1 year ago

Regarding AIQ - I would actually say that Premium isn't so necessary on that, and I say that as a premium owner. The Marvel ramp is cool, but can be more frustrating than fun, and pretty much requires a flipper cooling kit. The lifting portal and subway lock have minor effects on gameplay and can be a maintenance hassle. The Pro works fine, so don't feel a premium is necessary.

The love-hate aspect of the rules comes from the punishing nature of losing a gem - you can't continue a quest unlike Deadpool, and the ways to try again or otherwise get a gem back are cumbersome and not obvious. Up to you if you want to handle that.

Re Jurassic Park - it might be similar enough to Godzilla that I wouldn't want both at the same time. Others mentioned Deadpool as a good pairing with GZ, which I'd agree with. Another good pairing could be Star Wars, which is a speedfest that feels drastically different to any of the Elwin games, and it's pretty readily available. Other possibilities might be GOTG or Mandalorian.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from AMartin56:

Thank you for the feedback..I was able play a Deadpool this past weekend (along with a AIQ, a JP and a number of other newer Sterns). It's just very hard to judge a game in a bar past a certain point especially when they were blown out (could barely make any ramps on AIQ due to weak flippers). And while I though Deadpool was fun unfortunately the art style just doesn't work for me at all.
And we'll definitely get in on a Chicago Gaming pin if they release MB (again) or ToM. But I prefer AFM to MM and I'd have to play CC since I like Continued on PROC but know no nothing about the remake code.

I was like you and wasn’t a fan of the artwork on my Deadpool LE. But it really is a great game worth considering, my mate in Dallas has a very nice premium for sale that I could recommend. Having purchased from him multiple time I’ve always been extremely happy when they land here in Australia. I do love my mods though and his are awesome and not so far from you. Just a thought!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/152942

#18 1 year ago

JP is fantastic and you really can't go wrong, pro or premium. But if you don't want two Elwin games, I'd also recommend Star Wars Premium; fast and challenging but oh so rewarding. A very different philosophy than GZ or JP. If you're not a star wars fan, star trek should be on your list too. Both of these are probably better deals than AIQ, imho. I also love deadpool design, but I agree the art is too in your face; you'd have to put a custom translight on it.

#19 1 year ago

Deadpool gets my vote. It is straight up just a FUN game. Great ruleset that is easy to follow, but difficult to actually complete. The music and callouts are great. Everything about this game just works together perfectly.

Can't go wrong with Jurassic Park either. A premium is not really required here. From what I've experienced on location the TRex just delays the game, or doesn't eat the ball/deflects it which is annoying. It's a great effect but not required by any means.

#20 1 year ago

I hate these threads...

#21 1 year ago

Sounds like you have plenty of money, so it doesn't really matter. You will want more pinball machines. I would just buy the first one from your list that you come across and can actually purchase....competition is real. Pinball machines at good prices do not last long. Not on your list, but super fun, is Stern Star Trek. I also really enjoy the Stern Beatles machine.

#22 1 year ago

More cowbell - one King Elwin pin is never enough !!
Get a Jurassic Park and don’t look back - it’s a brilliant pin.

Good luck with your choice

#23 1 year ago

I would do a Star Trek, Spiderman or Monster Bash.

#24 1 year ago

Jp. Why not look at star wars or the mandolorian?

Mb is shallow, will get stale in a small collection.

#25 1 year ago

I disagree with some of the others, I think if you go with JP that the Premium is a must. I agree that the T-Rex can sometimes be a pain but the raptor pin is what makes the premium worth the upgrade.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Ankeny, IA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Belton, MO
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 19.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Billerica, MA
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.