Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

535-7346-00.jpg
#1 10 years ago

My Bally Xenon runs better and better after each board connector gets replaced. Now I have to attend to the mechanical infrastructure.

The pop bumpers aren't BAD. The center one is starting to lose sensitivity, which means more balls "falling" onto the lower playfield. Also my skirts are starting to get brittle and are a bit chewed up in one or two spots. Of course the lower one that gets hammered by the flippers is the worst.

I have a good idea on how to "do" the servicing, via vids and other resources. I don't agree you can take one apart and service it in 5 mins though....

I have new skirts, new spoons, and new light sockets.

What else "should" I replace while I am in there?

-new coils?
-new switches?
-any other super expensive tool I need? (why do they cost so much!?!?!? )

Any other words of wisdom before I complete my Pinball Resource order? Thanks so much in advance.

#3 10 years ago

Bally pop assemblies are usually in good shape. Spoon, skirt, coil sleeve, fine adjustment should be all you need.

#4 10 years ago

The metal yokes are always broke in half on '80s games. I've heard you can replace them with Gottlieb's, but has anyone tried using the Stern one? I think it would last longer.

535-7346-00.jpg535-7346-00.jpg

#5 10 years ago

Replacing/rebuilding them is really not that hard. Just remember how they go back together and make sure the assembly moves freely by hand when completed. I think I spent more time messing with the lamp sockets than anything else.

#6 10 years ago

As kenh said, the metal yokes are almost always broke, so plan on replacing those. Also you should probably get new springs and switches. If nothing else, you'll have spares on hand, if it turns out you don't need them.

#7 10 years ago

I think the broken yolk is more of a WMS problem?

#8 10 years ago

Yeah, I have yet to see a broken yoke on a classic Bally pop bumper and I have probably rebuilt over a hundred of them. Not saying it can't happen, but I haven't seen it yet. You can replace the Bally yoke with a Gottlieb. OTOH, I have probably replaced several dozen broken yokes on 90s W/B games over the years.

I would suggest replacing the bumper bodies, bases, skirts, springs, spoons, switches if someone has used an abrasive on them, capacitors, bakelite, lamp socket, plus rod and rings. Pretty much everything but the coil and the bracket.

You might not need to replace the bodies and bases, though you might want to once you put new skirts on and see how the parts look next to each other. I see about two cracked bumper bodies out of about every ten pops I rebuild. It seems like the tighter the pop bumper nest, the more damage to the bodies.

#9 10 years ago

I don't know what a yoke is. I thought the bumper body connected to the base.....

Does anyone have a Bally pop bumper shown exploded?

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Keetur:

I don't know what a yoke is. I thought the bumper body connected to the base.....

It is the metal piece sandwiched in right next to the bakelite, slides into the slot on the plunger, attached to the rod and ring--under the playfield.

#11 10 years ago

OK thanks Brian I will take a look now.

Appreciate the direction!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Keetur:

I don't think i ever saw exploded drawing of bally stuff from this era. WMS and Data East where the first ones I remember seeing do this.

#13 10 years ago

Polish the ring as well and rotate it if it has wear on one side.

#14 10 years ago

Go onto Planetary Pinball's site and you can view the parts manual for Xenon for breakdown of the pop bumper! It's under the 1980-1 catalog!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Keetur:

I have new skirts, new spoons, and new light sockets.
What else "should" I replace while I am in there?
-new coils?
-new switches?
-any other super expensive tool I need? (why do they cost so much!?!?!? )
Any other words of wisdom before I complete my Pinball Resource order? Thanks so much in advance.

Where are you getting the lamp sockets from? I didn't think the correct ones were available.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Where are you getting the lamp sockets from? I didn't think the correct ones were available.

Are you referring to the wedge plug in sockets as used in Eight Ball Deluxe? I haven't found those anywhere, either. Xenon still used the #44 bayonet. I believe that EBD was the first Bally game to use those flange type bumpers with the plug in wedge sockets.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tell-me-about-servicing-pop-bumpers-early-80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.