(Topic ID: 215631)

Tell me about butane Soldering Irons

By Whysnow

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kenlayton.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago

I've had a Weller Portasol butane powered iron for almost 25 years now. I used to use it constantly when I was repairing drive-in theater speakers "out in the field" back in the 1990s. With my car loaded up with speaker repair parts and being hundreds of feet from a power source, the butane iron served me very well. I still use it once in a while to solder on a wire on a broken flipper coil and things like that. Butane irons can be used on circuit boards, but I don't recommend it. The reason being is the hot exhaust gasses which shoot out the side exhaust ports of the burner chamber. You can scorch or burn the circuit board.

The iron heats up fast and cools down faster than an electric iron. There is a knob on the bottom of the iron that regulates the flow of butane when in operation. Works like a heat control potentiometer on an electric iron. So, in essence, you can have the equivalent of a 20 to 45 watt electric iron. There are several sizes of tips available from big fat tips (for coil lugs) to tiny ones for pc boards. When I was doing drive in speaker repair, I was using the iron 7 days a week, about two hours a day, I got about 3 months out of a tip before I had to replace the tip.

1 week later
    #29 5 years ago

When the butane iron is in operation (lit in other words), always be careful of where you set it down. Keep paper and other flammables away!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kenlayton.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tell-me-about-butane-soldering-irons?tu=kenlayton and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.