(Topic ID: 215631)

Tell me about butane Soldering Irons

By Whysnow

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

#1 5 years ago

I need something better for my tool bag when working on games on location or the occasional service call.

What do you use (links are great)? What do you like/dislike about it?

I have never had a butane iron but am tired of not always having easy reach to electricity and the time it take for a traditional iron to heat/cool.

#2 5 years ago

the Milwaukee M12 soldering iron and the M12 3/8" ratchet are the ultimate combo tools for repair bags

#3 5 years ago

I don't care for butane powered. Buying cartridges, hot exhaust, and they often don't last. If I was in need of portability, I'd probably try the Hakko battery powered cordless. We really like the standard Hakko stuff in our shop.
    https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX-901-Cordless-Soldering-Iron/dp/B00FZPUA28/ctmakerupdate-20/ref=as_li_ss_tl

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I don't care for butane powered. Buying cartridges, hot exhaust, and they often don't last. If I was in need of portability, I'd probably try the Hakko battery powered cordless. We really like the standard Hakko stuff in our shop.
    amazon.com link »

I like this!

Anyone else have one and use it?

any tips/issues/concerns after use?

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

amazon.com link »

I've always used a weller butane model but just ordered this. Thanks for the tip.

#6 5 years ago

I have been rolling with the benzomatic pen style torch.

Used for about 8 months now. Great for solder work away from home. Also used to flame polish my ramps without the tip. Also great for creme brule! But seriously you can use for cooking/baking too.

The only thing I don't like is that it seems to run out pretty quick. Probably 10 mins on continuous use. Maybe less. Its easy to refill but something to think about.

https://www.bernzomatic.com/Products/Hand-Torches/Instant-On-Off/ST500

#7 5 years ago

I've used them all and hands down the milwaulkee m12 (with larger battery option) is my favorite unless I'm in tight quarters...

#8 5 years ago

I've had a Weller Portasol butane powered iron for almost 25 years now. I used to use it constantly when I was repairing drive-in theater speakers "out in the field" back in the 1990s. With my car loaded up with speaker repair parts and being hundreds of feet from a power source, the butane iron served me very well. I still use it once in a while to solder on a wire on a broken flipper coil and things like that. Butane irons can be used on circuit boards, but I don't recommend it. The reason being is the hot exhaust gasses which shoot out the side exhaust ports of the burner chamber. You can scorch or burn the circuit board.

The iron heats up fast and cools down faster than an electric iron. There is a knob on the bottom of the iron that regulates the flow of butane when in operation. Works like a heat control potentiometer on an electric iron. So, in essence, you can have the equivalent of a 20 to 45 watt electric iron. There are several sizes of tips available from big fat tips (for coil lugs) to tiny ones for pc boards. When I was doing drive in speaker repair, I was using the iron 7 days a week, about two hours a day, I got about 3 months out of a tip before I had to replace the tip.

#9 5 years ago

thanks for all the info guys!

#10 5 years ago

I had no idea Milwaukee made a cordless one! Im so buying that!

#11 5 years ago

Another +1 for he Weller model. When I fixed airplanes for a living, it was my go-to soldering iron. I've tried so many brands and that was the only one that was any good for me. Durable, worked as advertised and the attachments were great for many different jobs.

I've looked into the battery powered one, but I'm still skeptical on the longevity of it. I've been thinking about converting one for lipo battery use, but for now my Weller is the go to.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I'd probably try the Hakko battery powered cordless.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Anyone else have one and use it?

I have one, and I've been a bit disappointed with it. It's relatively slow to heat up, and if I'm trying to reattach a wire to a coil, it takes forever to heat up the lug on the coil. I always end up going back to the toolbox to get my Hakko FX-600 iron with a cord. I know that doesn't help much since you're looking for cordless.

The reviews do say that it is more consistent with NiMH batteries, and while I've tried them, they were old ones that were probably near the end of their life. I should probably give it another try some time.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I have one, and I've been a bit disappointed with it. It's relatively slow to heat up, and if I'm trying to reattach a wire to a coil, it takes forever to heat up the lug on the coil. I always end up going back to the toolbox to get my Hakko FX-600 iron with a cord. I know that doesn't help much since you're looking for cordless.
    The reviews do say that it is more consistent with NiMH batteries, and while I've tried them, they were old ones that were probably near the end of their life. I should probably give it another try some time.

good info. Would be mainly used on coil lugs and occasionally TIPs on large through hole stuff.

Ideal portable unit would:
    Heat quick
    Cool quick (or have a good /safe cap to cover a hot iron and toss it in the bag to go)
    Be able to handle coil lugs/larger gauge wire
    Be able to do larger board work things on site
    Be small enough to not take up too much space in bag
    Be reliable and consistent heat (predictable is fine with me so if batteries work hot to start but only get good heat for an hour then that is fine so long as I know that)

#14 5 years ago

I rarely have to solder and have not done an exhaustive comparison, but I bought a cheap butane one from Amazon a few years ago and it's done everything I've asked of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DIE9BO

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

Also great for creme brule! But seriously you can use for cooking/baking too.

.....mm....Lead Souffle!

#16 5 years ago

The weller portasol is where it's at.

#17 5 years ago

Gas soldering irons are great I have a portasol too. I use mine for everything except boards (and have done that on occasion too). Fast to heat up and cool down and no cord to get in the way. The one I have is fairly small and is just easier all around to use then something that is corded. No batteries to worry about with gas and it just works.

#18 5 years ago

Great thread! I was just looking into this!!!

#19 5 years ago

I did a Google search for the Weller Portasol and Sears had an online sale for $36 plus free shipping, but when you click, it shows shipping unavailable but free in-store pick-up. The nearest Sears with one in stock is over an hour away.

What kind of store offers an online only sale with free shipping, but won't ship? No wonder Sears is going out of business; it can't happen fast enough.

http://www.sears.com/weller-174-portasol-174-professional-self-igniting-cordless-butane-solder/p-00954055000P?sid=IDx01192011x202447059&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqcm9wtrb2gIVQ9bACh2dNAOHEAQYASABEgJ5KfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CL2L5fba29oCFQVsAQodYxsLKQ

#21 5 years ago

I just ordered the Milwaukee m12 soldering iron

#22 5 years ago

I had a similar thread going last week. I was initially thinking about the Milwaukee, but all my 12v tools are Bosch. Someone mentioned the tips looked too small for coil work, which is mot likely what I would be doing. It also looks a little bulky. I was about to pull the trigger on one of the butane ones, but it seems like people here like the Milwaukee. Can anyone comment on it's performance?

#23 5 years ago

Portosol professional

#24 5 years ago

I’ve been using a seller butane for the last 5 or 6 years and love it. I do however need to buy some finer tips for it it’s the same one zentron posted... but that’s like half what I paid for mine, so....

#25 5 years ago

I gambled on this:
    Rechargeable Lithium Battery...states 1-1/2 hours of continuous solder
    up to 788 degrees.

$56 Exso EX-376

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

1 week later
    #26 5 years ago

My new Weller Portasol arrived. Took a bit longer for the butane canister to arrive (I think it has to ground ship?).

Either way, I am excited to have an opportunity to test this out soon and hopefully lighten the road bag with a dependable replacement for what should be my home station only.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

My new Weller Portasol arrived. Took a bit longer for the butane canister to arrive (I think it has to ground ship?).
    Either way, I am excited to have an opportunity to test this out soon and hopefully lighten the road bag with a dependable replacement for what should be my home station only.

Sweet!

My only tip is to be conscious of where you direct the exhaust. Not that I've ever burned a table or melted surrounding wires or anything.....

The Bernz-o-matic ones are slightly worse in the "spewing hot exhaust like a dragon" category.

#28 5 years ago

I have been satisfied with Steinel butane soldering irons.

http://www.howardelectronics.com/heat-guns/butane-tools/steinel/

Gord

#29 5 years ago

When the butane iron is in operation (lit in other words), always be careful of where you set it down. Keep paper and other flammables away!

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Walgreens has butane behind the checkout near the cigarettes when you need more. Congrats on the purchase, you'll love it!

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

e butane iron is in operation (lit in other words),

Hey, I also used the "TS 600K Steinel butane soldering iron kit with auto ignition". This soldering iron worked well for me as described but you should follow precautions needed to this.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tell-me-about-butane-soldering-irons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.