Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by nephasth
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is a teepee:”

• All wall 4 votes
      40%
    • All roof 6 votes
      60%

(10 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9881.jpg
    IMG_9880.jpg
    97c066e2-f5ca-40b8-904d-4536e2f534ba_text.gif
    799E644F-D375-49A8-9480-59F3D80BBC22.jpeg
    196403B5-A025-472E-8C4D-B22587BEC526.jpeg
    Teepee (resized).png
    #1 1 year ago

Teepees. Are they all wall? Or all roof?

Feel free to explain your reasoning.

Teepee (resized).pngTeepee (resized).png
    #3 1 year ago

I still pitch a tent every morning

#4 1 year ago

They are neither “all wall” or “all roof”. I’d say what you see from the outside is a “wall”, and there is an internal roof, called an ozan.

The ozan catches all the rain that comes through the smoke hole at the top, and runs it between the internal and external walls, and down the poles.

When I was born my parents were living in a tipi. I also spent my first summer of college living in one. More recently my dad lived in one year round in upstate NY for 5+ years while in his 60s.

Here’s some photos of my Dad while he was living in the tipi. You can see the internal wall and the edge of the ozan “roof” in the inside photo.
    196403B5-A025-472E-8C4D-B22587BEC526.jpeg196403B5-A025-472E-8C4D-B22587BEC526.jpeg799E644F-D375-49A8-9480-59F3D80BBC22.jpeg799E644F-D375-49A8-9480-59F3D80BBC22.jpeg

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

They are neither “all wall” or “all roof”. I’d say what you see from the outside is a “wall”, and there is an internal roof, called an ozan.
    The ozan catches all the rain that comes through the smoke hole at the top, and runs it between the internal and external walls, and down the poles.
    When I was born my parents were living in a tipi. I also spent my first summer of college living in one. More recently my dad lived in one year round in upstate NY for 5+ years while in his 60s.
    Here’s some photos of my Dad while he was living in the tipi. You can see the internal wall and the edge of the ozan “roof” in the inside photo.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Define upstate.

Albany? Saratoga? Queensbury?

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from P1nhead:

Define upstate.
    Albany? Saratoga? Queensbury?

Principal Skinner: Superintendent, I hope you're ready for mouth-watering hamburgers.
    Superintendent Chalmers: I thought we were having steamed clams.
    Principal Skinner: Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
    Superintendent Chalmers: You call hamburgers steamed hams.
    Principal Skinner: Yes, it's a regional dialect.
    Superintendent Chalmers: Uh-huh. What region?
    Principal Skinner: Uh, upstate New York.
    Superintendent Chalmers: Really. Well, I'm from Utica and I never heard anyone use the phrase, "steamed hams."
    Principal Skinner: Oh, not in Utica, no; it's an Albany expression.
    Superintendent Chalmers: I see.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from P1nhead:

Define upstate.

Pretty sure upstate is anywhere in NY north or northwest of NYC.

We’re from the Fingerlakes region.

#8 1 year ago

Why not both?

97c066e2-f5ca-40b8-904d-4536e2f534ba_text.gif97c066e2-f5ca-40b8-904d-4536e2f534ba_text.gif
    #9 1 year ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

Pretty sure upstate is anywhere in NY north or northwest of NYC.
    We’re from the Fingerlakes region.

Friends, family in long island would call anything westchester and north upstate, always irritated me for some reason lol. But was just curious about where the tipi was. Bitter cold and some serious snowfall depending on where you are at - that lake Ontario lake effect snow is some of the worst.

I built some decks along the Seneca and Cayuga in a past life.

#10 1 year ago

A man goes to the doctor and says 'I keep having the same dream every night....I am a wigwam and then I am a teepee' What can it mean?'

The doctor says 'You are two tents'

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from P1nhead:

Bitter cold and some serious snowfall depending on where you are at

Just scrolled through my old photos for this one. I took it after a big storm in 2015. It was the only night the entire 5 years he didn't sleep there, because he'd had rotator cuff surgery that day. Man was he pissed to have missed the storm stuck in a house, but my Mom insisted. He still bitches about it now.
    IMG_9880.jpgIMG_9880.jpg
    You can see how we built the tipi on a deck. The deck is built on a 3' stone and cord wood wall we built in order to give more standing room inside the tipi. This also allowed him to put a wood stove in there. You can make out the stove pipe just to the left of the tipi.

Looking through the photos, was reminded that this is what I was doing down the street that day, after digging the tipi out for him. Bitter cold for sure.
    IMG_9881.jpgIMG_9881.jpg

Excited to be moving back there this summer. Maybe I'll even put up another tipi, though, a yurt would be luxurious in comparison, due to it's clearly defined roof and wall.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

Just scrolled through my old photos for this one. I took it after a big storm in 2015. It was the only night the entire 5 years he didn't sleep there, because he'd had rotator cuff surgery that day. Man was he pissed to have missed the storm stuck in a house, but my Mom insisted. He still bitches about it now.
    [quoted image]
    You can see how we built the tipi on a deck. The deck is built on a 3' stone and cord wood wall we built in order to give more standing room inside the tipi. This also allowed him to put a wood stove in there. You can make out the stove pipe just to the left of the tipi.
    Looking through the photos, was reminded that this is what I was doing down the street that day, after digging the tipi out for him. Bitter cold for sure.
    [quoted image]
    Excited to be moving back there this summer. Maybe I'll even put up another tipi, though, a yurt would be luxurious in comparison, due to it's clearly defined roof and wall.

Beautiful

#13 1 year ago

In the town that I grew up in, the Teepee was the name of the arcade at the mall. So, somewhat relevant to the forum.

In other thoughts… would the finale of the Blair Witch Project have been possible if it took place in a teepee?

#14 1 year ago

1 week later
    #15 1 year ago

Yep... Definitely all roof...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.