20200804_103634 (resized).jpg
New Fence (resized).jpg
15963059000502369500953280519597 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
A4B46054-2D13-4BAA-84CB-2FF4E4BB6AD8 (resized).png
0A982855-3F43-4A16-9E0F-F35100F595B3 (resized).jpeg
BF285EDC-2988-4E55-85AC-8272D2733D3D (resized).jpeg
cool-kit-right (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombieyeti.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1501 3 years ago

Epic and incredible collection, Jared! Enviable on all levels! And coincidentally, I once had Vanilla Ice-cream at my birthday party! Also some cake....

I'd just like to say that when I heard Jody was having Nickelodeon in to pitch the 87 TMNT license (he and I are also HUGE fans as are innumerable members of Stern) I wanted to immediately throw my hat in the ring! I played it cool and thankfully was hit up after that meeting by Dwight and then later John to gauge my thoughts & interest. It was easy - this is the equivalent of Ghostbusters for my age range (ok 'and younger' as I am quite immature) - it's a grail theme to me.

So, while I owe John & Dwight a debt of gratitude for bringing me onto this team, we all owe Jody for pushing this license and making it all happen. He's very good at that stuff!

And as an aside - I know some of you think it's too kiddie - but if you followed the Turtles you'd realize that was a defining differentiation and unique to this version of them. THis cartoon is why we got the movies and subsequent cartoons and as a child of that era, I wanted to distill the essence of that which includes HAPPY FUN-LOVING Turtles. In this day and age, I thought other's might want that too - fwiw.

So blame me for staying true to the license - but don't knock the game till you try it - it's something very special and I'm honored to be a part of it!

Now tune in to the stream tonight and prepare to smile!

thanks - z

Quoted from Jared:

29 years after the first pinball release, and 6 since years since I left being an active pinside member to go work for Stern, we finally have a new TMNT machine. Since 2014 this has been a focus of mine.
I flipped the game in September of 2019, and I had goosebumps. On the premium there are 4 levels of ball travel, like judge dredd. And the sound package is unbelievable. Y’all are going to love it.
TMNT is my personal passion, some of you will remember I actually hired Vanilla Ice himself to perform at my 30th birthday party in front of 1500 people.
This game was done right. If you loved the original animated series or playmates toys, or just great FUN pinball, you’ll love this machine. Make sure to tune into the live gameplay reveal tonight, and make up your own decision.
I bought a Limited Edition for myself. No way on earth I was not going to be one of the 500 people in that elite collectors club.
Keep flippin’ pinside. Im always around.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#1510 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Jared, I was a mega obsessed Turtle nerd so I appreciate your passion for this project, but are you allowed to tell us why the original cast wasn’t hired to do the voices? They’re all alive & working except for James Avery (RIP Uncle
Phil!)

I think it was at the licensor's request - don't quote me on it - but it wasn't for not trying. I don't know all the details - but I can tell you that legitimately the voice work is perfect from all that I've encountered! In fact - this is the BEST 'Uncle Phil' voice work I've ever heard - so Shredder is flawless to my ears. You'll hear on the stream tonight I'm sure and you can judge it for yourself.

#1514 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Guys I appreciate the passion as I share the same love for this series so in that spirit, please allow us to use pinbrowser again so we can just replace that terrible new theme song with the original along with original tmnt voice actor clips?
Peace And love
Thanks for ensuring this was based off 1987. Thanks!

I legitimately know nothing abut that side of things - but I'll pass it along!

#1865 3 years ago
Quoted from dos_reboot:

Looks like the sheer number of villains in TMNT would overwhelm the playfield with inserts. Smaller inserts balances the artwork and inserts.
Or not... I'm no pin designer.

Everyone can blame me. Unlike Deadpool, where the villain was the mode, on TMNT they refer to starring Episodes. I chose to leave text out of the equation because of the length of Episode names. And had I used the character names it would have confused with the episodes... I kinda assumed I'd find a grail answer and eventually settled on having the insert trap color coincide with the stroke of each affiliated character (and some overlap when 2-part episodes are referenced)... not saying it's the best answer for everyone - but it allowed for a more dynamic central grouping of art... which selfishly I gravitate towards...

#1867 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Please don’t ever feel the need to justify your artistic design choices. You are the best in the industry and no one here is qualified to tell you otherwise. If anything we’d all like more of your artwork!

I don't! But I own the decisions I make AND I listen to criticism... Not justifying - just wanted to explain the choice!
I really do try to make decisions for both the player and the art - sometimes it's tricky, sometimes it's not! ...but mostly it's tricky

#1870 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Elaborating on design choices is always a good thing!

Thanks - I agree! And BTW - I've been meaning to compliment you on your avatar... the Panzer Dragoon series was one of the most magical gaming experiences I had during the Saturn run. But I was a Sega kid, so I know nothing (I even like the Switch remake of 1 now that it's got performance mode)

#1881 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Does Stern "allow" you to hide inserts under art if you wanted to? Games like Simpsons Pinball Party & Monster Bash have inserts completely covered by the characters...so the characters light up when you complete the tasks required. I feel like Stern doesn't really do this anymore...wondering if it's a mandate or up to the designer/artist.

It is allowed! Each designer has different taste and allowance for it... However, There are problems you deal with when you art over inserts - you’ll need blockers and digital inks make it a bit trickier depending on a few factors. So I try to be careful when and how I approach it.

#1916 3 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Well to be honest with what Dwight coded for Munsters, (Was Shite)! No reason why he should've had more than enough time to code TMNT
But wait for it, another 3 years waiting on code like Ghostbusters.
I just hope for you guys that the code will come as you think it will.
I have lost hope. Staying with coders I know will complete in a much faster fashion.

So I’ll always defend Dwight! He’s an amazing talent and genuine guy on all fronts. The thoughtful nature of his approach is part of why I love working with him!

I get your frustrations and they are warranted based on appearance - but there’s always more to the story and as much as I hate to throw this out there, Take Ghostbusters : that momentum got derailed by the designers personal actions imo.

If you look at the timeline, you’ll see why the idea of boosting up that game after ‘he who will not be named’ shocked us all, was not going to happen. The game was tarnished for me and others and took a long time to wash that taste away...

But when it felt right, Dwight was determined to reclaim that game and he outdid himself for my money.

I can’t claim to know all the inner workings at Stern - but there are always factors you don’t see that affect projects.

Just remind yourself that encouraging words will yield a better headspace for a creative like Dwight than tearing him down on a forum ...just my 2 cents as a creative lol

Oh, and his work on tmnt coop will set standards moving forward - just wait till you get a chance to play on a team game!

#1964 3 years ago
Quoted from stantman:

Art looks great. Game looks fun.

Set standards? TNA and P3 have co-op and team games. You mean selecting a different character and each playing for different objectives that combine into overarching goals? Seems like a no-brainer for TMNT!

Oh I never said it’s a first and I’m not referring to The idea of coop itself - but the implementation with the theme here is something much more...after all, If Apple has taught us anything it’s ‘don’t be first, just make it better’

Listen - I’m obviously biased because I love this team and I love this game - make up your own mind AFTER you play it!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Fountain Hills, AZ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombieyeti.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-stern-hype-thread?tu=zombieyeti and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.