20200804_103634 (resized).jpg
New Fence (resized).jpg
15963059000502369500953280519597 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
A4B46054-2D13-4BAA-84CB-2FF4E4BB6AD8 (resized).png
0A982855-3F43-4A16-9E0F-F35100F595B3 (resized).jpeg
BF285EDC-2988-4E55-85AC-8272D2733D3D (resized).jpeg
cool-kit-right (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1836 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The tech isn't the problem. It's the approach. You can do good animation that feels like it has weight and nice timing with the lowest tech imaginable. It's how the animator animates, not the technology. It's how the artist sets up the scene...composition and cinematography. That's what's lacking most in this display animation...but it's also the models/style/art direction. It's just not that great. To be fair - good animation takes time... they probably accomplished all of this work in an extremely short turnaround...so, kudos to them given the circumstances. IMO, it would have been easier and looked better to just use show clips & manipulated 2D art assets instead of full 3D characters.

All of your points are spot-on, but for me, the LCD isn't a huge part of the pinball playing experience (so what they've done looks good to me). For me, audio and callouts are more critical to gameplay. Jerry Thompson is doing great work at Stern - hopefully the callouts and shot choreography are well executed.

Overall, this looks like it will be a blast to play...especially if you dig the license. Wasn't really on my radar, but since I just sold my Iron Maiden, might make room for it.

#1845 3 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Maybe it's just me, but I think too many of you are way too fixated on the animations. This is a pinball machine, not a video game or a movie. The game occurs under the glass. The LCD is just a glorified way of showing the scores. All the complaints I've had to read about pinball LCD animations being amateurish makes me wish they never became a thing.

Yep...couldn't agree more. In fact, the effort Stern is putting into the LCD is surprising. I'd gladly trade some new/exciting "mechs" for some of the brain power that goes into these animations. I guess the spinning disk that rotates in both directions is a nice tweak.

#1858 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Everyone has different things they focus on. I know that I'm definitely in the minority about things that bug me about fonts for instance, and I mostly keep it to myself unless someone really goads me into a rant.
But the continued success of ColorDMD says to me that there are people who do care about getting the most out of their displays, even if the focus during gameplay is on the playfield.
I'm not knocking Stern's efforts, because I know how much work it all really is. They're just not taking approaches that personally appeal most of the time. I haven't played enough Batman 66 to really judge, but I think that one has really smart asset use. And I definitely respect the level of effort that went into original world building on the new Black Knight screen. Was more interesting to me than the playfield honestly.
But much of the LCD stuff just feels a little like the CD-ROM era to me, remember that? Just the vibe.
I'd like to see some different style of thinking in general. You have a high rez screen, you really can do anything you want. Sometimes less is more, you don't need a lot of 3D model animation to feel good, even more static elements deployed in a dynamic way read really well. That's a lesson you can take from the source:
[quoted image]

I think it's hard to say I goaded you! More accurately, you used my post as an "opportunity" to launch into a rant, which is cool, since I miss Aurich rants

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Good point! I say let's go back to alphanumeric displays and put the money back into the playfield.

I don't know if I'd go that far I like the LCD's ability to help me navigate the scores, objectives, and overall status. All of the ephemeral graphics don't impact me much as a player (or as a spectator). In the worst case, a game with LCD graphics that would wow rarehero/aurich *without* compelling shot geometry and mechs would obviously miss the target. For me, it's all about balance...which is tough given the tight timelines these guys operate under. No doubt.

#2112 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They promised an "exciting gameplay experience" which Munsters is not. It's about as dull, repetitive and shallow as they come. When CASUALS at locations hate it in droves, that's a problem. Sitting right next to an Attack from Mars, which probably has LESS code, the AfM DESTROYED it in earnings, even the first week at the location I helped with.

I was an early Munsters adopter...bought it because I grew up with the show and liked the art package. Ended up not liking it...didn't put more than 30-50 plays on it IIRC. Game was much too simplistic for my taste. Lost money. Who is to blame? ME. Solution: Play before you pay.

Everyone's perception of "exciting gameplay experience" will be different. Some folks LOVE BM66...not me. Sure, it's "deep" by some definition, but none of the shots feel great. For me, it's all about shot feel. Not true for other folks.

I respect Stern for building games that suit different audiences (Beatles being another interesting example).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 22.00
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.00
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mariposa, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-stern-hype-thread?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.