20200804_103634 (resized).jpg
New Fence (resized).jpg
15963059000502369500953280519597 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
A4B46054-2D13-4BAA-84CB-2FF4E4BB6AD8 (resized).png
0A982855-3F43-4A16-9E0F-F35100F595B3 (resized).jpeg
BF285EDC-2988-4E55-85AC-8272D2733D3D (resized).jpeg
cool-kit-right (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider T-800.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#50 4 years ago

Seems like this is quite the polar theme as far as pinside goes based on the number of other people chiming in about it in other threads, but personally, I think it would be tubular to have a decent TMNT pin in my line up. The irony is, this is probably the one license, NO BODY WANTS BASED ON THE MOVIE(S). Looking at Jurassic Park and everyone moaning about it not really having any of the iconic movie references (even though it was an epic book first and foremost), TMNT is similar in that it's roots run deep in graphic novel format and was adapted later for main stream viewing. Which, like JP, would give STERN (or whoever) a lot of freedom in what they ultimately could do with the game, not being tied to redundant movie clips.

The TMNT universe has so much to offer design wise to build a unique playfield that incorporates theme such as their secret underground lair accessed via subways/sewers/etc., tons of characters and villain content (the 4 turtles, Splinter, Shredder, Shredder's foot soldier army, his goons bebob and rocksteady, Krang, April O'Neil, Casey Jones, the news van, etc.) along with an art style that really has a lot of options - - as long as it's iconic, and at the heart is comic style oriented. The original masters would do the theme the most justice, but based on the work that Zombie Yeti has done recently, I truly believe that he would knock this one out of the park.

As far as all of the nay-sayers complaining about it being an old theme for old dudes, and that it's just nostalgic for a few people, they clearly don't have children. My 6 year old has been a TMNT fan since he found out about mutant turtles that learned to be ninjas. The theme passes generations and will continue to be relevant in years to come. Just like Jurassic Park and dinosaurs.

#hopeithappens
#betterstartsaving

3 months later
#253 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

If its Dwight on Code i am out, Trying to move my Munsters on and have taken over 2k loss on my LE and still can not sell it. Will wait for a second hand game in 3 years with code done.

Not trying to kick a man while he's down, but did you play Munsters before you ordered your LE? After one game on Munsters I knew the game was absolutely not for me. I played a few more games to be sure, but it didn't change any of my impressions. I knew I didn't like the code and I didn't like the shots. Even a complete overhaul on the code likely isn't gonna sway that opinion... At least it was nice to see that Dwight went back and improved Ghostbusters (ALOT) to the point where that game is actually quite fun to play again and not nearly as repetitive and linear as before.

People have commented left and right about how cool it would be to be able to choose your own turtle and have some depth to this game in that fashion. To me, Dwight's the ONLY person at STERN that's really successfully done that kind of coding. His games take a while to get to the fit and finish we've all come to expect (why I don't know - just because we spend thousands of dollars on something doesn't entitle us) but when they do get there I think they are masterpieces. Star Wars and Game of Thrones both took a while but have come out as clear gems in my collection -- both of which have a choose your own adventure feel to them, both of which have very unique game play feelings each and every time I step up to them. If turtles can be on this level then I think it'll be an awesome game to have in a home collection.

#304 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

It is coming around TPF/MGC timeframe in March. Zombie Yeti’s best artwork (no hack jobs allowed this go around). At least 3 flippers and powder coated wireforms. It is the first pin to rely 100% on turtle power (that last part may not be true). It will use Spike 3 boards, it’s will connect to internet if you want and each player chooses a turtle at the start of a game. Everything else is kinda fuzzy.

"At least 3 flippers" and "each player chooses a turtle at the start of a game" sounds pretty awesome if it's true.

4 weeks later
#368 4 years ago

I'm confident TMNT is on it's way.

2 weeks later
#415 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Making a simple game at current high prices is a slap in the consumer’s face. Simple should not mean or equate to shallow. Many simple games out there and still with deeper code. If Gomez is to blame then Dwight should be all over him, to allow his reputation to be recovered.

Have you seen The Beatles pinball machine? Talk about your basic rule set on a game that they sold for a small fortune - that to me was a slap in the consumer's face. Munsters is a theme that resonates with the same demographic and not surprisingly, was strategically designed to have more simple, straight-forward rules. It's not a slap in the face, it's buyer beware, play before you pay - just because you spend a small fortune on a toy doesn't mean it's going to meet all your expectations. I played a handful of games on Munsters and knew right away it wasn't for me.

For all of those others that are bashing Dwight, personally I think the guy is brilliant and can't wait to see what he comes up with on his next game. If he's on TMNT and goes to the depth of code like he did on Game of Thrones for the four turtles I can't imagine I won't be all in on that, but of course I'll play it first. There are LOTS of people out there that actually like the games Dwight codes and love the nuance and depth to the programming, even the multiplier logic and rules (and if you don't like that stuff, then play the games ignoring it, you don't need to worry about managing multipliers and trying to get more points to have fun and advance through the game and it's content).

Cowabunga dude - - bring on some Shredder.

#417 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Yeah trying to keep a 40X multiplier going to make a billion point shot is the most boring thing ever haha.

Lol, that's exactly how I feel - - almost every pinball I've ever played gets old eventually, you learn the rules, you hit that, you hit this, but learning the depth of the multiplier rule keeps the game fresh and exciting and almost brings it back to older school pinball when it was all about points and there was no "depth" to a pinball machine. Dwight just did a phenomenal job of tying in that with modern day rules...

And let's not forget Mr. Lyman Sheats - - I absolutely got so friggin bored with Spider-man the first few years I played it. Then I watched some tutorials and some real pinball players playing it and learned about the nuance of all of the multipliers and how you get them and how you set them. That was literally a game changer for me and now Spidey is one of my favorite pins. It takes the grindfest away from just simply trying to progress through the game and provides some straight-forward basic pinball fun. And I'm sorry, if you can't figure out how the multiplier button works on Star Wars then you've got a really long road ahead of you...

1 month later
#498 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

With his games multipliers aren't a "different strategy", they are the only strategy.
It's poor balance if you can beat somebody's 20 minute game by getting a 20x video mode. When the X is either too high (star wars), or is too easy to obtain (ghostbusters) it ruins it and makes it the only path to multiplayer victory or pursuit of GC. Look how poorly those games utilize multipliers and how well games like IMDN and TWD do.
His games also have a tendency to sit in dire need of updates for years on end with scoring issues, bugs, and completely missing features while he says publicly he thinks they are finished. Do you think Ghostbusters would have ever been updated if Stern didn't have an army of people attacking them on facebook every time they posted anything? Heck, when he did update it he made getting the multipliers EASIER!
I don't like being negative but this topic just gets me agitated. It's all been said he's apparently a really nice and passionate guy which I don't doubt. But I know people who have bought his games and sat there pissed off at incomplete, unbalanced code. I want TMNT but I would rather have it coded by a complete unknown.

Well, based on my experience, pretty much the whole pinball community has a disparate view on balanced game play and scoring. You can look at a bunch of the games in the top 10 and top 20 and argue many of them are unbalanced when it comes to scoring and unbalanced when it comes to game play and what you really want to go for.

If getting a high score is what's most important for you in pinball, then I could see how some of Dwight's games are polarizing and maybe not liked as much. Personally, I couldn't care less what my score is at the end of the game; what drives me in pinball is the experience and the integration, something I think Dwight has done a marvelous job on with Star Wars and Game of Thrones (especially considering how few "toys" he had to work with on Star Wars).

Regardless, I have yet to see someone step up to my Star Wars and beat my GC score on a few minutes of game play compared to the half hour or more that went into the top score. It is possible to focus on both progressing in the game and managing your high score shots, and I personally find it super gratifying when I manage to get that 40X multiplier and then not fuck up and actually use it on a video mode, or Escape Boba Fett. I mean, seriously, I don't think there's a single mode out there (maybe Horde in TWD) that actually gets my adrenaline that pumped up as when I start escape Fett and it's even more heightened when I know I have that multiplier high and I don't want to blow it.

Either way, it's clear there's people out there that just don't like it and that's fine, but there's a ton of people out there that do like it and that doesn't mean it's bad... I love the rumor that Dwight is on this and look forward to seeing if he does another take on choosing your adventure similar to what he's done with SW and GOT, just with turtles this time.

#501 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

So if you don't care about the score, why do the multiplier rules bother you so much?

Exactly. This confuses me, if you don't care about score and you don't like the multiplier rules, then just completely ignore them. You don't have to worry or get distracted thinking about moving the shot multiplier or going for the 3 bank, etc. Just ignore it if it bothers you so much (hell most people unintentionally ignore the multiplier rules Lyman put in Spider-man and to me that's the one thing that really changed that game from a chopping wood fest to a must have in my collection).

These extensive multiplier rules are a way of almost getting multiple games in one. I can focus on score or I can focus on progression or I can try to do both. It gives me new strategies and ways to approach the same game which, in a home line-up, helps keep things fresh.

#504 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

b/c it becomes a focal point of the game. It's impossible to ignore and it's MEANT to be played like that which sucks. It's like ignoring a big part of what the coder wanted to achieve. Rather he spend time on things that are actually fun like better modes, variety, etc.

Well, I think it's fun! (and so do many others) I guess that's the beauty of pinball in this day and age, we're all lucky we have more than one choice on new pinball machines.

#507 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I am definitely worried that Borg and Dwight won't deliver the kind of game I want TMNT to be.

Lol, therein lies the problem. You could probably ask 100 TMNT superfans what kind of pinball machine they would like to see and you'd get 100 different answers. At the end of the day the game that is made is probably not going to deliver on exactly what every fan wants. I just hope it's close enough to what I know and love about the franchise and that it is fun to play.

1 week later
#531 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If anything good has come out of this pandemic, it has either delayed or cancelled this from becoming a reality.

I don't know how any pinball machine getting delayed or cancelled is a "good" thing unless you absolutely hate pinball, but whatever, to each their own I guess...

One thing is for certain, ZY is gonna kill it on the art package; gotta temper my expectations on the rest...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 7,999.00
$ 52.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

$ 22.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Oakhurst, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider T-800.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-stern-hype-thread?tu=T-800 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.