20200804_103634 (resized).jpg
New Fence (resized).jpg
15963059000502369500953280519597 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
A4B46054-2D13-4BAA-84CB-2FF4E4BB6AD8 (resized).png
0A982855-3F43-4A16-9E0F-F35100F595B3 (resized).jpeg
BF285EDC-2988-4E55-85AC-8272D2733D3D (resized).jpeg
cool-kit-right (resized).jpg
There are 3,151 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 64.
#3051 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

vireland how are your insert mods coming? Any other mods planned?

Mode insert bracket set so the inserts match the art ring around each one is in the pinside pinmonk store now.

Turtle Power bracket was already there earlier in the week.

Mode_Inserts_Before_After_800x (resized).jpgMode_Inserts_Before_After_800x (resized).jpgturtle_power_before_after (resized).jpgturtle_power_before_after (resized).jpg

#3053 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Vire is this a new thing with the coils Stern are using? Have they changed brand etc? I remember playing a lot of my SAMs for hours with no issues and I hammer my BM66 and don’t seem to notice any issues with loss of flipper power, kinda curious what your take is since you’ve been looking at it.

Most, if not all pinball games are going to suffer from flipper fade as the coils warm up. SAM games will even blow a transistor if you hold the flipper long enough. Dirty, intermittent EOS switches can really make the problem bad. A warm coil is normal. A hot coil you can't keep your finger on is bad.

Rob

#3054 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Mode insert bracket set is in the pinside pinmonk store now.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thought you were schilling Pinstadiums for a second there.

They look great - such a simple fix.

#3055 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Most, if not all pinball games are going to suffer from flipper fade as the coils warm up. SAM games will even blow a transistor if you hold the flipper long enough. Dirty, intermittent EOS switches can really make the problem bad. A warm coil is normal. A hot coil you can't keep your finger on is bad.
Rob

From my tests with the probes, as long as the EOS is working on Spike, the flipper hold pulses will not keep heating the coils (or only fractionally at best), which was a surprise to me. It's the full power mode for moving the flippers that is the heat culprit.

#3056 3 years ago

Yeah cause you said the main culprit for the heat increase is consistently flipping, not holding for long periods right?

#3057 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah cause you said the main culprit for the heat increase is consistently flipping, not holding for long periods right?

Yes. I was surprised at that. Initially I wanted to just put the flipper on and leave them at hold to see how hot they could get. That did not work. Hold doesn't heat them up that much. The flipping, which is a full power pulse, is what does it. More flipping, faster heating. So I just had to play them and watch the temps rise as I was actually playing.

#3058 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes. I was surprised at that. Initially I wanted to just put the flipper on and leave them at hold to see how hot they could get. That did not work. Hold doesn't heat them up that much. The flipping, which is a full power pulse, is what does it. More flipping, faster heating.

This is why a sign of a weak flipper on a Williams DCS 89 or 94 game is often the flipper opto. It will fire the main power coil while you're in the hold position because it thinks you've released and re-pressed the button. Doesn't take long for the coil to get hot / weak.

#3059 3 years ago

Definitely needs a "mash action button to cancel the worthless side mode that is locking you out of progressing" feature. It would be that easy.

#3060 3 years ago

sounds like the people moaning about ghostbuster mode sequences again...

'blocked your progress'? boohoo.. You're not supposed to be 100% in control...

#3061 3 years ago

LE plastic protectors test is complete, be on the lookout for them at Mezelmods soon!

043C3C96-E376-4C4C-A4DE-3BB698769F08 (resized).jpeg043C3C96-E376-4C4C-A4DE-3BB698769F08 (resized).jpeg7EE39AC0-DE4C-4E40-8346-97B6BAF427D5 (resized).jpeg7EE39AC0-DE4C-4E40-8346-97B6BAF427D5 (resized).jpegD963A580-2786-4D19-855F-A4AA9A3F4370 (resized).jpegD963A580-2786-4D19-855F-A4AA9A3F4370 (resized).jpeg
#3062 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Mode insert bracket set is in the pinside pinmonk store now.

Those look so perfect. Can't believe that's not how they made them.

#3063 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

sounds like the people moaning about ghostbuster mode sequences again...
'blocked your progress'? boohoo.. You're not supposed to be 100% in control...

Lots of complaining that certain modes lock you out of progressing in STH too. Start the mode FIRST then go 1-2-3 foot.

#3064 3 years ago

This would be a valid observation if it was something you shot for on purpose, or had a low percentage chance of accidentally hitting. The inlane in question happens freaking constantly. Have you played the game?

Really hope there's some sweeping changes in the way the game is coded / scored in the next update. It is a mess and the fact they released it as 1.x has me concerned. Hopefully they did that to convince buyers it was fully baked and not actually where they consider it to be more or less "done". It's a great shooter.

#3065 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

This would be a valid observation if it was something you shot for on purpose, or had a low percentage chance of accidentally hitting. The inlane in question happens freaking constantly. Have you played the game?
Really hope there's some sweeping changes in the way the game is coded / scored in the next update. It is a mess and the fact they released it as 1.x has me concerned. Hopefully they did that to convince buyers it was fully baked and not actually where they consider it to be more or less "done". It's a great shooter.

(Big Dwight fan here) Unfortunately, the track record for stern (and Dwight) for putting any final needed polish on a game is 2-3 years...if you’re lucky.

(Warning: pinside opinion statement incoming) I believe the reason for this is they want the game to fully bake, and get as much feedback as possible, and creat a polish list. Then, they get pushed onto another project; rinse+repeat until they are finally given a breather to address polish issues.

#3066 3 years ago

Someone make a krang shooter knob please

#3067 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

(Big Dwight fan here) Unfortunately, the track record for stern (and Dwight) for putting any final needed polish on a game is 2-3 years...if you’re lucky.
(Warning: pinside opinion statement incoming) I believe the reason for this is they want the game to fully bake, and get as much feedback as possible, and creat a polish list. Then, they get pushed onto another project; rinse+repeat until they are finally given a breather to address polish issues.

This is huge for me. I waited years for GB to get done...I don't really want to go through that again. It does sound like Dwight is already taking some of these suggestions under advisement already though, so hopefully the GB thing was just an anomaly.

#3068 3 years ago

anyone can show me how that flipper coil cooling works?
on my last game on DP i noticed after mechsuit MB a significant power loss. I thought it were the coil stops, but they are ok.
but the coil was freaking hot!

#3069 3 years ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

anyone can show me how that flipper coil cooling works?
on my last game on DP i noticed after mechsuit MB a significant power loss. I thought it were the coil stops, but they are ok.
but the coil was freaking hot!

Just hook up a small 12v brushless fan to an empty CN plugg on the PCB to the left of the coin door.
The fan can be attached to the flipperbase plate using a L-bracket. It does make a change on some games.

#3070 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Lots of complaining that certain modes lock you out of progressing in STH too. Start the mode FIRST then go 1-2-3 foot.

I mean.. it's like what... 10 seconds? I mean come on...

I hope they don't get trapped in Training... oh noz!!!

#3071 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Have you played those games with that pesky rule like... switch hits change the the lit mode or scoring targets? OMG... how did we survive... can you believe they released that stuff as DONE? I mean... who would ever play games like that? Oh I know... 30+ years of EMs... and countless rules in SS era beyond that.

123 Is actually a really good scoring opportunity if you play the game. Build up the foot value on the right orbit spinner.

#3072 3 years ago

I don’t think anyone is accidentally hitting training...

Quoted from flynnibus:

I mean.. it's like what... 10 seconds? I mean come on...
I hope they don't get trapped in Training... oh noz!!!

#3073 3 years ago

Training is fun and actually gives (sometimes) decent awards. What kind of foot scores are you getting?

#3074 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Training is fun and actually gives (sometimes) decent awards. What kind of foot scores are you getting?

Boost that foot to 200k+ by shooting the right orbit... just last night I had it at 360k.. without really trying.

#3075 3 years ago

That juice ain't worth the squeeze

#3076 3 years ago

Got some more games in today. I'm leaning towards 1-2-3 as it stands is ok. Internet rage seems to be a little high.

#3077 3 years ago

LE’s having issues. Hopefully they fix before premiums get on the line.

#3078 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Got some more games in today. I'm leaning towards 1-2-3 as it stands is ok. Internet rage seems to be a little high.

Haven’t seen much rage. Seems to be more rage against the imagined rage.

#3080 3 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

LE’s having issues. Hopefully they fix before premiums get on the line.

What Kind of issues?

#3081 3 years ago
Quoted from Phillyaudio:

What Kind of issues?

Diverter at turtle van.

1 week later
#3082 3 years ago

My friend sent me a pic of his TMNT playfield and a friend of his as well. Both LE’s. See any difference? The first one is my friends.

0D092392-335F-4AA1-8CAD-A9EA1176BA27 (resized).jpeg0D092392-335F-4AA1-8CAD-A9EA1176BA27 (resized).jpeg9CCB22AE-9449-49A5-96F8-CA944A58E3F1 (resized).jpeg9CCB22AE-9449-49A5-96F8-CA944A58E3F1 (resized).jpeg
#3083 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

My friend sent me a pic of his TMNT playfield and a friend of his as well. Both LE’s. See any difference? The first one is my friends.

Whoops

low-toner-meme (resized).jpglow-toner-meme (resized).jpg
#3084 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

First pic is darker.
Not (only) the print but the camera shot, just look at the inserts.

#3085 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I believe the reason for this is...

I believe what Dwight said the reason was.

#3086 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

First pic is darker.
Not (only) the print but the camera shot, just look at the inserts.

Yeah, you can make the first picture look like the second by just cranking the brightness. The jeweled white inserts are the giveaway on the overly-bright one.

#3087 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, you can make the first picture look like the second by just cranking the brightness. The jeweled white inserts are the giveaway on the overly-bright one.

And here I was getting all geared up for "Toner-gate".

TonerGate (resized).jpgTonerGate (resized).jpg

#3088 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Just spoke with the guy. You are wrong. He is telling me the print quality on his playfield is not even close to his friends.

3DFC40D9-60AB-4854-B536-95FDA91FAF23 (resized).jpeg3DFC40D9-60AB-4854-B536-95FDA91FAF23 (resized).jpeg6B295264-01BA-4DDD-9E64-96EBBDF0F9B5 (resized).jpeg6B295264-01BA-4DDD-9E64-96EBBDF0F9B5 (resized).jpeg8A122BE0-59B9-4978-9A86-B31D15AC6A59 (resized).jpeg8A122BE0-59B9-4978-9A86-B31D15AC6A59 (resized).jpeg
#3089 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Just spoke with the guy. You are wrong. He is telling me the print quality on his playfield is not even close to his friends.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

All I can say is turning up the brightness levels on your first pic made is look almost exactly like the second "bad" one. But if there's an actual playfield issue, have him contact his distributor and get if fixed.

#3090 3 years ago

So did some more coil temperature testing on TMNT today. The coils on it can definitely exceed 150 degrees, but it takes much longer than Stranger Things to get there. With the fans off, I played for about 40 minutes straight, trying to get every multiball I could, as fast as I could, to get it to 151 degrees with obvious fade being felt from about 130ish on (I notice it most on the backhand to the left ramp) and this time once it got over 150 on the main coils I was also feeling fade on the upper left flipper with a lot of rollback rejects. Unfortunately I wasn't measuring the upper coil, so I'm not sure what the temp was on it, but I would guess 135+ based on the feel.

Turned the fans on and while still playing the coil temp shed 35 degrees in less than 3 minutes. They definitely work.

I have some out with beta testers right now with the actual wiring harnesses, brackets and fans so pretty sure these are very close to being released. I've made a raised mount that angles down onto the coil so it should be a universal fit now.

#3091 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

All I can say is turning up the brightness levels on your first pic made is look almost exactly like the second "bad" one. But if there's an actual playfield issue, have him contact his distributor and get if fixed.

Thanks. He is calling on Monday. Loves the game just not the playfield compared to his friends. Better pic.

95790535-7FC2-4EB2-B94B-00E5413C9A00 (resized).jpeg95790535-7FC2-4EB2-B94B-00E5413C9A00 (resized).jpegFE51B4A7-DEA7-47AE-833A-E4271E02098A (resized).jpegFE51B4A7-DEA7-47AE-833A-E4271E02098A (resized).jpeg
#3092 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Thanks. He is calling on Monday. Loves the game just not the playfield compared to his friends. Better pic.

That's not any better. It's way too tight on the art. It needs to be pulled back and max res so it can be zoomed in. But it doesn't matter, really. He can work it out with his dist, who will need better pics anyway.

#3093 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So did some more coil temperature testing on TMNT today. The coils on it can definitely exceed 150 degrees, but it takes much longer than Stranger Things to get there. With the fans off, I played for about 40 minutes straight, trying to get every multiball I could, as fast as I could, to get it to 151 degrees with obvious fade being felt from about 130ish on (I notice it most on the backhand to the left ramp) and this time once it got over 150 on the main coils I was also feeling fade on the upper left flipper with a lot of rollback rejects. Unfortunately I wasn't measuring the upper coil, so I'm not sure what the temp was on it, but I would guess 135+ based on the feel.
Turned the fans on and while still playing the coil temp shed 35 degrees in less than 3 minutes. They definitely work.
I have some out with beta testers right now with the actual wiring harnesses, brackets and fans so pretty sure these are very close to being released. I've made a raised mount that angles down onto the coil so it should be a universal fit now.

Is there a price on these?

#3094 3 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Is there a price on these?

Not yet. I'm waiting to finalize the wire harness (I am going to increase the gauge of the wire a bit since the factory sample wiring harnesses need a little more heft, and I also may add a little length). The harness supports 2 coils, and the vast majority of kits will probably be the 2 coil one, but I've made the harness modular, so you can get a 4 coil set (if you have upper flippers) and everything snaps together.

I had to change the bracket design to raised off the playfield underside because depending on the game, sometimes there's a lot of crap like lights, etc packed close to the flipper coils. So rather than having to custom design a bracket for every other pin, I'm pretty sure now that the raised design will fit on all or the vast majority of spike pins, so that's the one I've settled on. If I find a spike machine where it won't work, I can make a custom bracket for that one pin. Should save a lot of work, and cools about the same.

The kit is:
2 x 40 x 40 fans (same as in the Spike 500W power supply quiet fan plug n play kits)
2 x Angled Fan Brackets
4 x Longer screws to mount bracket through flipper coil plate holes
4 x Mounting screw for fan into bracket
4 x Mounting nut for fan into bracket
1 x 1A Fused multi-segment modular wiring harness with two fan connectors

New style raised, angled bracket
Angled_Mount_Small (resized).jpgAngled_Mount_Small (resized).jpg

Older, abandoned low bracket design
cool-kit-right (resized).jpgcool-kit-right (resized).jpg

#3095 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Not yet. I'm waiting to finalize the wire harness (I am going to increase the gauge of the wire a bit since the factory sample wiring harnesses need a little more heft, and I also may add a little length). The harness supports 2 coils, and the vast majority of kits will probably be the 2 coil one, but I've made the harness modular, so you can get a 4 coil set (if you have upper flippers) and everything snaps together.
I had to change the bracket design to raised off the playfield underside because depending on the game, sometimes there's a lot of crap like lights, etc packed close to the flipper coils. So rather than having to custom design a bracket for every other pin, I'm pretty sure now that the raised design will fit on all or the vast majority of spike pins, so that's the one I've settled on. If I find a spike machine where it won't work, I can make a custom bracket for that one pin. Should save a lot of work, and cools about the same.
The kit is:
2 x 40 x 40 fans (same as in the Spike 500W power supply quiet fan plug n play kits)
2 x Angled Fan Brackets
4 x Longer screws to mount bracket through flipper coil plate holes
4 x Mounting screw for fan into bracket
4 x Mounting nut for fan into bracket
1 x 1A Fused multi-segment modular wiring harness with two fan connectors
New style raised, angled bracket
[quoted image]
Older, abandoned low bracket design
[quoted image]

Nice useful mod PinMonk . Guessing these will also work on Soooky games? My TNA could definitely use them and I’m guessing R&M also.

#3096 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Nice useful mod vireland . Guessing these will also work on Soooky games? My TNA could definitely use them and I’m guessing R&M also.

I would have to make a wiring harness specifically for Spooky games, but since they have a dedicated AUX power supply, it's an easier proposition. I don't know how Spooky manages their coil pulsing - do they have fade? I haven't played one long enough to notice it.

#3097 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I would have to make a wiring harness specifically for Spooky games, but since they have a dedicated AUX power supply, it's an easier proposition. I don't know how Spooky manages their coil pulsing - do they have fade? I haven't played one long enough to notice it.

Yeh, they heat up and fade - at least on TNA. Particularly if you beef up the hold power which is needed for the scoop ejects. I’m guessing it’s the same for RM.

I’ll put my hand up to be a guinea pig.

#3098 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I’d be happy to test on my TNA as well. They can get really hot when I stream that game for over an hour

#3099 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

I’d be happy to test on my TNA as well. They can get really hot when I stream that game for over an hour

Can you PM me a picture of the flipper area under the PF on each side so I can see what the clearances are like?

I need to get the Spike kit done and out first, but I can work on Spooky next if there's a need (and it sounds like there is).

#3100 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Pic of mine . Much different.

BF285EDC-2988-4E55-85AC-8272D2733D3D (resized).jpegBF285EDC-2988-4E55-85AC-8272D2733D3D (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,999.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Oakhurst, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 52.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 22.00
Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 22.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,151 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 64.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-stern-hype-thread/page/62?hl=joelbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.