20200804_103634 (resized).jpg
New Fence (resized).jpg
15963059000502369500953280519597 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
A4B46054-2D13-4BAA-84CB-2FF4E4BB6AD8 (resized).png
0A982855-3F43-4A16-9E0F-F35100F595B3 (resized).jpeg
BF285EDC-2988-4E55-85AC-8272D2733D3D (resized).jpeg
cool-kit-right (resized).jpg
There are 3,151 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 64.
#1851 3 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I think I'm the only one complaining. I'll start out by saying, I 100% agree with you. The inserts represent each villain just like in Deadpool. However, look at how well the inserts blend into the artwork on Deadpool. Most of the inserts look like they were place there by the playfield artist. That's one of the reasons Zombie Yeti is my favorite artist. He is the cream of the crop for incorporating shot lines and inserts into his artwork. I'm not seeing the same attention to detail in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
[quoted image]

I am sure he thought about it but prob just not enough room to make the inserts bigger by the enemies. I actually really like the small dot inserts by each guy. The best insert for me and how ZY implemented is the final wizard mode Cowabunga. Its a speech bubble from Michelangelo while hes fighting shredder. Thought that was neat. I dig it all.

#1852 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Looking now at the Features List from Stern.
Am I mistaken that the Glider, Krang, and the Van are really the only significant PF features that are removed in the PRO?

Umm. Only? So what exactly is left then...?

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Maybe it's just me, but I think too many of you are way too fixated on the animations. This is a pinball machine, not a video game or a movie. The game occurs under the glass. The LCD is just a glorified way of showing the scores. All the complaints I've had to read about pinball LCD animations being amateurish makes me wish they never became a thing.

It exists, and it's part of the machine, and I'd say for many that aren't really into the hobby, a point of interest. I prefer how JJP approaches the backglass, versus Stern. JJP uses it as often for somewhat static information and tracking, versus over the top flashy, prominent animation or clips.

Personally I often prefer DMD animations from the 90's to the overwhelming and somewhat distracting visual barf on an LCD. Doesn't mean I can't find strengths and weaknesses to both approaches, and assess the professional aspects of what's been produced.

I'd say another aspect of the criticism comes from...how often can layouts differ, or playfield art be discussed? So LCD and modern sound usage is kind of the novelty at hand presently, and especially more so when a company like Stern scales back seemingly more and more each year in mech usage.

#1853 3 years ago
Quoted from zeldarioid:

It seems like the 8 modes are eluded to in the artwork on the main part of the playfield near the flippers, where the group of villains is displayed. Each villain/group of villains (i.e. Bebop and Rocksteady) are highlighted with a particular color, and the corresponding insert(s) for their mode(s) are placed on/near them and highlighted with the same color. In Bebop and Rocksteady's case, they look to have one insert, indicating one mode, and it is highlighted with the same light green-ish color.
That's my guess

It looks like Bebop and Rocksteady have their own. Rocksteadys is above is head and Bebops is below him. Shredders is to the left of him. There is 8 battle modes and 8 enemy characters and inserts.

#1854 3 years ago

Does anyone have a screenshot of the 6 or so objectives that you need to get to "Cowabunga"? I need to watch the stream again but they showed the progress screen a few times. Dwight talked about how you had to complete those objectives to get to the final wizard mode. I am guessing the 3 wizard modes they talked about were

Team Up - Start 4 episodes
2nd wizard - Maybe finish all 8 episodes?
Cowabunga - Complete 6 objectives. I would guess one of the objectives is completing the episodes

#1855 3 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I think I'm the only one complaining. I'll start out by saying, I 100% agree with you. The inserts represent each villain just like in Deadpool. However, look at how well the inserts are incorporated into the artwork on Deadpool. That's one of the reasons Zombie Yeti is my favorite artist. His art is great and he does such a great job of incorporating shot lines and inserts. I'm not seeing the same attention to detail in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which is why I'm wondering if perhaps he was not provided the location of the inserts until further along in the process.

Looks like the sheer number of villains in TMNT would overwhelm the playfield with inserts. Smaller inserts balances the artwork and inserts.

Or not... I'm no pin designer.

#1856 3 years ago

Wonder if board game themes like gloomhaven and nemesis would ever make the cut. These are premium games that sell millions of copies. Mind you a board gamer might be willing to spend $300 on a board game but not 9000 on a game. Wondering what the cross is...board gamer and pinhead.

#1857 3 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Wonder if board game themes like gloomhaven and nemesis would ever make the cut. These are premium games that sell millions of copies. Mind you a board gamer might be willing to spend $300 on a board game but not 9000 on a game. Wondering what the cross is...board gamer and pinhead.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-board-game-players-out-there

#1858 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Everyone has different things they focus on. I know that I'm definitely in the minority about things that bug me about fonts for instance, and I mostly keep it to myself unless someone really goads me into a rant.
But the continued success of ColorDMD says to me that there are people who do care about getting the most out of their displays, even if the focus during gameplay is on the playfield.
I'm not knocking Stern's efforts, because I know how much work it all really is. They're just not taking approaches that personally appeal most of the time. I haven't played enough Batman 66 to really judge, but I think that one has really smart asset use. And I definitely respect the level of effort that went into original world building on the new Black Knight screen. Was more interesting to me than the playfield honestly.
But much of the LCD stuff just feels a little like the CD-ROM era to me, remember that? Just the vibe.
I'd like to see some different style of thinking in general. You have a high rez screen, you really can do anything you want. Sometimes less is more, you don't need a lot of 3D model animation to feel good, even more static elements deployed in a dynamic way read really well. That's a lesson you can take from the source:
[quoted image]

I think it's hard to say I goaded you! More accurately, you used my post as an "opportunity" to launch into a rant, which is cool, since I miss Aurich rants

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Good point! I say let's go back to alphanumeric displays and put the money back into the playfield.

I don't know if I'd go that far I like the LCD's ability to help me navigate the scores, objectives, and overall status. All of the ephemeral graphics don't impact me much as a player (or as a spectator). In the worst case, a game with LCD graphics that would wow rarehero/aurich *without* compelling shot geometry and mechs would obviously miss the target. For me, it's all about balance...which is tough given the tight timelines these guys operate under. No doubt.

#1860 3 years ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

Does anyone have a screenshot of the 6 or so objectives that you need to get to "Cowabunga"?

Here ya go.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1861 3 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

We need a day-1 custom music mod with Vanilla Ice's ninja rap somewhere in this pin, I'm just sayin'.

or better yet, THIS!!!

#1862 3 years ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

It looks like Bebop and Rocksteady have their own.

I could be wrong but it looks like the outline on each villain corresponds to the outline on each insert.

So 2 Shredder episodes, 2 Krang, 1 Bebop and Rocksteady, 1 Mouser, 1 Baxter, 1 Slash. Plus Dwight mentioned that 2 of the episodes can't be played until a specific previous one has been played. Cant play Baxter until you've played Mousers. And it looks like you can't play one of the Krang ones until you've played the other.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1863 3 years ago
Quoted from RetroGamerJP:

or better yet, THIS!!!

That would be cool to listen to during a mode or multiball...or when your game is over.

#1864 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I could be wrong but it looks like the outline on each villain corresponds to the outline on each insert.
So 2 Shredder episodes, 2 Krang, 1 Bebop and Rocksteady, 1 Mouser, 1 Baxter, 1 Slash. Plus Dwight mentioned that 2 of the episodes can't be played until a specific previous one has been played. Cant play Baxter until you've played Mousers. And it looks like you can't play one of the Krang ones until you've played the other.[quoted image]

Ahh I see now. You are totally right!

#1865 3 years ago
Quoted from dos_reboot:

Looks like the sheer number of villains in TMNT would overwhelm the playfield with inserts. Smaller inserts balances the artwork and inserts.
Or not... I'm no pin designer.

Everyone can blame me. Unlike Deadpool, where the villain was the mode, on TMNT they refer to starring Episodes. I chose to leave text out of the equation because of the length of Episode names. And had I used the character names it would have confused with the episodes... I kinda assumed I'd find a grail answer and eventually settled on having the insert trap color coincide with the stroke of each affiliated character (and some overlap when 2-part episodes are referenced)... not saying it's the best answer for everyone - but it allowed for a more dynamic central grouping of art... which selfishly I gravitate towards...

#1866 3 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Everyone can blame me. Unlike Deadpool, where the villain was the mode, on TMNT they refer to starring Episodes. I chose to leave text out of the equation because of the length of Episode names. And had I used the character names it would have confused with the episodes... I kinda assumed I'd find a grail answer and eventually settled on having the insert trap color coincide with the stroke of each affiliated character (and some overlap when 2-part episodes are referenced)... not saying it's the best answer for everyone - but it allowed for a more dynamic central grouping of art... which selfishly I gravitate towards...

Please don’t ever feel the need to justify your artistic design choices. You are the best in the industry and no one here is qualified to tell you otherwise. If anything we’d all like more of your artwork!

#1867 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Please don’t ever feel the need to justify your artistic design choices. You are the best in the industry and no one here is qualified to tell you otherwise. If anything we’d all like more of your artwork!

I don't! But I own the decisions I make AND I listen to criticism... Not justifying - just wanted to explain the choice!
I really do try to make decisions for both the player and the art - sometimes it's tricky, sometimes it's not! ...but mostly it's tricky

#1868 3 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

We need a day-1 custom music mod with Vanilla Ice's ninja rap somewhere in this pin, I'm just sayin'.

I think a future premium version should be a ninja rap version

#1869 3 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I don't! But I own the decisions I make AND I listen to criticism... Not justifying - just wanted to explain the choice!
I really do try to make decisions for both the player and the art - sometimes it's tricky, sometimes it's not! ...but mostly it's tricky

Elaborating on design choices is always a good thing!

#1870 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Elaborating on design choices is always a good thing!

Thanks - I agree! And BTW - I've been meaning to compliment you on your avatar... the Panzer Dragoon series was one of the most magical gaming experiences I had during the Saturn run. But I was a Sega kid, so I know nothing (I even like the Switch remake of 1 now that it's got performance mode)

#1871 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I think it's hard to say I goaded you! More accurately, you used my post as an "opportunity" to launch into a rant, which is cool, since I miss Aurich rants

I was making a reference to my rant about the letter H in the Willy Wonka logo that I only did because someone insisted that I was nitpicking things when I was studiously avoiding doing any such thing. Figured if I was gonna catch shit for something I wasn't even doing I might as well go all out and do it.

Quoted from zombieyeti:

not saying it's the best answer for everyone - but it allowed for a more dynamic central grouping of art... which selfishly I gravitate towards...

As the resident nit-picker I think it looks great personally. It's organic in a good way, feels balanced, and I bet it feels nice during attract modes to have the lights kind of scattered like that instead of being in a more constrained grid.

Honestly the entire bottom area feels great to me. The way half the turtles are mounted on the floating plastics and larger really adds to the illusion of depth. And you made two of them on opposite sides/depth looking back up towards the viewer, nicely engages and draws the eye inwards toward the scene.

#1872 3 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Thanks - I agree! And BTW - I've been meaning to compliment you on your avatar... the Panzer Dragoon series was one of the most magical gaming experiences I had during the Saturn run. But I was a Sega kid, so I know nothing (I even like the Switch remake of 1 now that it's got performance mode)

I wish I could say I was more than just a fan, and a fan that's never even played Saga, at that..!

I read about that patch, and I do hope/expect it to be on the Limited Run copy when that's sent out. I also hope this team DOES get to work on Zwei, which rumors, and good sales, are definitely point to!

Thanks for the kind words, and it's always nice to see folks like yourself engaging, and expressing themselves on the forum.

#1873 3 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Thanks for the explanation. I'm still not super excited by the insert placement within the artwork, but that's okay. I'm not an artist, so your option should weigh way more heavily then mine. I really love your artwork, so in this case, perhaps this was the best way of seeing more of it.

#1874 3 years ago

Sorry if this has been addressed....is there any opportunity to change character during the game? Do you "complete" characters?

#1875 3 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Does Stern "allow" you to hide inserts under art if you wanted to? Games like Simpsons Pinball Party & Monster Bash have inserts completely covered by the characters...so the characters light up when you complete the tasks required. I feel like Stern doesn't really do this anymore...wondering if it's a mandate or up to the designer/artist.

#1876 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Does Stern "allow" you to hide inserts under art if you wanted to? Games like Simpsons Pinball Party & Monster Bash have inserts completely covered by the characters...so the characters light up when you complete the tasks required. I feel like Stern doesn't really do this anymore...wondering if it's a mandate or up to the designer/artist.

Sewer manhole is like this for the "Shoot again" light.

#1877 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Sorry if this has been addressed....is there any opportunity to change character during the game? Do you "complete" characters?

You are the same character for the entire game. I recall it was directly mentioned in the stream.

I believe you can "max out" the perk's you get with each character.

#1878 3 years ago

Okay totally on the fence here

If anyone knows who has the best prices on this title

PM me Please

Checked with about 6 sources
Best I’ve gotten back price wise

$5699.00 Pro
$7399.00 Prem

Any better deals to be had ??

#1879 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

CHrist how old do you think I am?!?!

OK Boomer.

#1880 3 years ago

Deposit has been sent on a LE. I’m all in!

#1881 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It is allowed! Each designer has different taste and allowance for it... However, There are problems you deal with when you art over inserts - you’ll need blockers and digital inks make it a bit trickier depending on a few factors. So I try to be careful when and how I approach it.

#1882 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I believe you can "max out" the perk's you get with each character.

Yep. 4 per character and I believe they are all unique. Sounds awesome and will be great for replayability

#1883 3 years ago

By no means a complaint but I would rather level up all four turtles gaining their specific perks as I go until the whole playfield is lit up for points explosions. Deciding what order to train and level up each character to fit the player's style.

#1884 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yep. 4 per character and I believe they are all unique. Sounds awesome and will be great for replayability

Is there a breakdown of the perks?

#1885 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

By no means a complaint but I would rather level up all four turtles gaining their specific perks as I go until the whole playfield is lit up for points explosions. Deciding what order to train and level up each character to fit the player's style.

I thought the same thing. But, we don’t know enough of the rules to understand if there’s a reason for not allowing you to swap characters mid-game or even after you max a character out. Otherwise, it sounds like some really cool rules.

#1886 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

level up all four turtles gaining their specific perks as I go until the whole playfield is lit up for points explosions.

Exactly this.

#1887 3 years ago

#1888 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Compare the screen graphics to something early Spike like Aerosmith and it's come a LOOOOOONNNNNG way.

There are no animations on AS that look as bad as the April one. What animations on AS look bad anyway? I think they’re pretty good and I’m picky on that. For a band game, I’d say well done.

#1889 3 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

There are no animations on AS that look as bad as the April one. What animations on AS look bad anyway? I think they’re pretty good and I’m picky on that. For a band game, I’d say well done.

Agreed, never understood the hatred for AS animations. I think it was just a case of being the first (?) animated Stern game with the LCD. Now everyone has set their expectations accordingly but AS still retains that legacy.

#1890 3 years ago

If they used the cartoon for animations, there would be no hesitation with purchasing for me. Right now I’m on the fence.

#1891 3 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

All the animations on Aerosmith look like a basic flash game from the late 1990s. The characters have a few pieces per body (usually 2 per leg, 2 per arm, torso, head - I think some also have articulated wrists if I remember right) and are "animated" like puppets with 4-6-ish points of articulation where the body parts meet. LOTS of static images given motion by scrolling the foreground or background and adding the puppet band characters. VERY basic, and not in a cool way. They could have given 2D segmented characters a really cool look and even could have made that art style look like the original Parappa the Rapper, but that would have been much more work that what they put into it. 3D would have, too.

#1892 3 years ago

I vowed never to buy another home LE for myself.
Yeah that ended after seeing the stream.
It was crystal clear how fresh this game will be.
LE on the way! Turtle power.

#1893 3 years ago

10k it’s no MMRRE

Hot Wheels is almost 4K less then LE ?

#1894 3 years ago

Theme is terrible! Throw this one in the barn and let the termites eat it.

#1895 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

All the animations on Aerosmith look like a basic flash game from the late 1990s. The characters have a few pieces per body (usually 2 per leg, 2 per arm, torso, head - I think some also have articulated wrists if I remember right) and are "animated" like puppets with 4-6-ish points of articulation where the body parts meet. LOTS of static images given motion by scrolling the foreground or background and adding the puppet band characters. VERY basic, and not in a cool way. They could have given 2D segmented characters a really cool look and even could have made that art style look like the original Parappa the Rapper, but that would have been much more work that what they put into it. 3D would have, too.

I agree some AS animations look like Flash, but some on TMNT are worse.

1D378E8B-7C8F-42CB-A94C-07DBD3D1AD47 (resized).jpeg1D378E8B-7C8F-42CB-A94C-07DBD3D1AD47 (resized).jpeg

#1896 3 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

I agree some AS animations look like flash, but some on TMNT are worse.
[quoted image]

I don't disagree, but Aerosmith is completed and TMNT likely has some polish left to go.

Even if TMNT was locked as well, Aerosmith has a LOT more scene cheapness and general bad animation quality than TMNT. A LOT.

But TMNT isn't locked, so it will continue to improve. Aerosmith won't, so the gap will widen.

#1897 3 years ago

I hope they improve. So far the voices and animations are my only concerns. Layout, art and code seem pretty good.

Those heavy black outlines on some scenes don’t help. The weapon scenes and some with Shredder look good.

#1898 3 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

I agree some AS animations look like Flash, but some on TMNT are worse.
[quoted image]

Some animations in JP look bad. Stern is definitely improving every title and I think TMNT looks fine.

edit: Overall I like the animations in JP too. They just aren't JJP quality.
JP (resized).pngJP (resized).png

#1899 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Some animations in JP look bad. Stern is definitely improving every title and I think TMNT looks fine.[quoted image]

I feel JP is a step up in animation quality compared to what they have so far in TMNT.

#1900 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

I feel JP is a step up in animation compared to what they have so far in TMNT.

They definitely are right now but the art style is entirely different and it's tough to say how finished these are currently.

Edit: If it isn't clear, I like the animations in JP2. Some are just rough. Most of the animations they have showed for TMNT look unfinished as they lack motion. Time will tell if that's just it or if it's an early placeholder.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Jacksonville, FL
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 16.00
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.00
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 52.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.00
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

10,500 (OBO)
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 3,151 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 64.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-stern-hype-thread/page/38?hl=hookedonpinonics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.