20200804_103634 (resized).jpg
New Fence (resized).jpg
15963059000502369500953280519597 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
A4B46054-2D13-4BAA-84CB-2FF4E4BB6AD8 (resized).png
0A982855-3F43-4A16-9E0F-F35100F595B3 (resized).jpeg
BF285EDC-2988-4E55-85AC-8272D2733D3D (resized).jpeg
cool-kit-right (resized).jpg

There are 3,151 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 64.
#1801 3 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

After viewing the DeadFlip livestream, the idea of owning this machine continues to grow on me. I have a 1st world problem: Sell both Judge Dredd and Data East TMNT to make room (and funds) for this awesome looking pin? I just put a new Green LED DMD in my TMNT, and a new plastic ramp is arriving from Australia. Stern needs to stop making so many awesome pins! I'm definitely keeping my Deadpool Pro. Decisions, decisions

#1802 3 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

I will have to say, I honestly do not get this choice of theme. The game play, shot layout, art (he killed it!), and options with characters looks great. The rules sound great! But... it's the Ninja Turtles! I have to imagine we are mostly adults in this community. I find it super odd that people are clamoring over a cartoon from 40 years ago that most people forgot about. I understand that Stern is trying to milk the wallet of a certain age bracket, but it's a shame that we can't see something more relevant with this kind of potential. To each their own I suppose. We will wait for the next one.

LOL, "relevant". This is pinball, the most irrelevant thing in 2020. Pinball is retro. Pinball is nostalgic. Stern picks nostalgic themes. Elvira? Munsters? Batman 66? Iron Maiden? Relevant? Fuck no. Nostalgic? Fuck yes. TMNT is nostalgic....perhaps not for you...but that's OK. Not every theme is going to appeal to everyone.

I'm 43 and was stupid bonkers obsessed with Ninja Turtles. So, this theme is absolutely relevant to me as an adult who likes big stupid expensive irrelevant toys.

#1803 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I think the developers and animators are working with what they have. The Stern motherboards and graphic chip capabilities have limitations. If you want modern day, next gen graphical displays, the BOM would need about a 500 - 700 dollar upgrade for nVidia/AMD like graphic prowess...I would definitely welcome that change, but I'm sure many wouldn't as it's not really adding anything under the glass. It's definitely an untapped marketing opportunity, but not sure it's what pinball needs... Most would probably want more mechanical innovation...

The tech isn't the problem. It's the approach. You can do good animation that feels like it has weight and nice timing with the lowest tech imaginable. It's how the animator animates, not the technology. It's how the artist sets up the scene...composition and cinematography. That's what's lacking most in this display animation...but it's also the models/style/art direction. It's just not that great. To be fair - good animation takes time... they probably accomplished all of this work in an extremely short turnaround...so, kudos to them given the circumstances. IMO, it would have been easier and looked better to just use show clips & manipulated 2D art assets instead of full 3D characters.

#1804 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I’m having a real hard time choosing between pro and premium on this pin. The premium looks stacked and I would definitely choose that for home use...but if my location opens back up I think I’ll have less headaches maintaining the pro. I would absolutely HAVE to put the game on location when we reopen. It’s a Pizza place and 90% of coin drop are from kids with very short ball times. TMNT would CRUSH IT in here.
Tough call, any thoughts?

Pro is always less headache.

Have tried the Prem for route and regretted it every time.

#1805 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Modern Stern = Ramps w/mono-targets......and..........

Way too high prices?? Before a premium was around 1000 euro more than a pro, so i would always buy a premium if it was something I thought was fun to play, now the premium is like 2000+ euro more expensive and an LE is not even in consideration unless really fan of the theme (and then still...), so now it has become a continuous doubt between a pro and a premium, while premium has way too less extras for the extra money, but don't really want the pro, so I end up buying nothing and just waiting and hoping that maybe the next one is a really cool theme (GOT, TWD, GOTG, ST are all themes that maybe popular in the US, I personally have never ever seen any of this, neither TMNT although the game looks nice), so my collection is getting smaller and smaller unfortunately.
The price difference in my opinion should be really noticeable, so that you really feel that you get what you pay for. on JP for example, over 2000 euro extra for a target bank and a moving head? Oh and of course a rotating helicopter blade (not driven)....
In GB you had a moving bash toy, a subway, magnet slings, a mirror thingy, so there it seemed fair to pay extra, too bad it turned out to be a complete turd, and even worse that I waited that long for an update but finally sold it with big loss just a few weeks before the update finally came...

#1806 3 years ago

I think I’m going with the premium but I would love to play the pro just to make sure. I hope all the modes have different shots that force you to shoot everything on the table. Maybe stern can give us a option to turn off the auto lock to The party wagon...would feel more rewarding to get that multiball if we had to lock each ball.

#1807 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL, "relevant". This is pinball, the most irrelevant thing in 2020. Pinball is retro. Pinball is nostalgic. Stern picks nostalgic themes. Elvira? Munsters? Batman 66? Iron Maiden? Relevant? Fuck no. Nostalgic? Fuck yes. TMNT is nostalgic....perhaps not for you...but that's OK. Not every theme is going to appeal to everyone.
I'm 43 and was stupid bonkers obsessed with Ninja Turtles. So, this theme is absolutely relevant to me as an adult who likes big stupid expensive irrelevant toys.

Touche...

#1808 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I’m having a real hard time choosing between pro and premium on this pin. The premium looks stacked and I would definitely choose that for home use...but if my location opens back up I think I’ll have less headaches maintaining the pro. I would absolutely HAVE to put the game on location when we reopen. It’s a Pizza place and 90% of coin drop are from kids with very short ball times. TMNT would CRUSH IT in here.
Tough call, any thoughts?

95% of people won't know the difference, and if you're already dreading the maintenance, save yourself the headaches.

#1809 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I hope krang talks as much when you shoot him on pro. That voice work is really good
Leo is by far the worst turtle. He sounds like such a big P. Let’s take these turkeys out? C’mon now. They really should have gotten someone with a lot more horsepower.

If you watch the later episodes, Cam Clarke really changed how he did Leonardo...he did sound more high pitched and whiney compared to the more stoic voice of the first batch of eps.

For me, the one that stood out the most as being "wrong" was Raph. No one can do that sarcasm like Rob Paulsen.

#1810 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The tech isn't the problem. It's the approach. You can do good animation that feels like it has weight and nice timing with the lowest tech imaginable. It's how the animator animates, not the technology. It's how the artist sets up the scene...composition and cinematography. That's what's lacking most in this display animation...but it's also the models/style/art direction. It's just not that great. To be fair - good animation takes time... they probably accomplished all of this work in an extremely short turnaround...so, kudos to them given the circumstances. IMO, it would have been easier and looked better to just use show clips & manipulated 2D art assets instead of full 3D characters.

I definitely admire the extent of the work Stern does with it's team, but yeah....things like fairly static turtles during the select mode, rather than scrolling and seeing idle animations or action poses, really take away from the amount of work done by them.

I still don't understand why with most Stern releases, their font work and font animation is barely existent. Little touches like these raise the visual level from rough to polished very easily.

Compare what JP de Win does with his font work on JJP games, then look at Stern's static, lack of animation or even drop shadows text, and it feels amateurish. Which given most of their art package work on the game itself, creates an imbalance that is way too contrasting of quality, for me

#1811 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

For the snowflakes, this is in no way a criticism of the layout, but it is like a mirrored TFTC. That's a good thing as I like TFTC.
[quoted image]

I think we just have to suck it up at this point and recognize that after 70 years of flipper pingame design, every single layout is gonna be similar to previous games that have been produced by the industry. I also like to play the "looks like" game but I can't snowflake out on it and get annoyed at comparisons or repetitions.

So sayeth Joe Pesci, it is what it is.

#1812 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Pro is always less headache.
Have tried the Prem for route and regretted it every time.

THey really should just rename these the "BSEs"... (Ball Search Edition)

#1813 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

It’s a Pizza place and 90% of coin drop are from kids with very short ball times.

None of them will have any idea what to do with the diverter. Most of them won't lock enough balls to see the van release them. Pro has the spinning pizza, which they will enjoy. So unless you think a bouncing Krang is worth $2k, pro seems like a no-brainer for this location.

#1814 3 years ago

I hear that buuuut I’m also gonna play the F out of it myself as I live right down the street from my location.

Quoted from yancy:

None of them will have any idea what to do with the diverter. Most of them won't lock enough balls to see the van release them. Pro has the spinning pizza, which they will enjoy. So unless you think a bouncing Krang is worth $2k, pro seems like a no-brainer for this location.

#1815 3 years ago

In that case, follow your heart and ignore your wallet.

#1816 3 years ago

Do you battle rock steady or Beebop at all? I didn’t see them in the stream.

#1817 3 years ago
Quoted from RhinoPins:

Dwight mentioned them at some point in the stream answering that question from chat. I believe they are part of some mode. My guess would be about 3/4 through the stream.

#1818 3 years ago
Quoted from gblack:

Dwight mentioned them at some point in the stream answering that question from chat. I believe they are part of some mode. My guess would be about 3/4 through the stream.

Ty. I’ll go back and look. I did see rocksteady spinner.

#1819 3 years ago
Quoted from RhinoPins:

It seems like the 8 modes are eluded to in the artwork on the main part of the playfield near the flippers, where the group of villains is displayed. Each villain/group of villains (i.e. Bebop and Rocksteady) are highlighted with a particular color, and the corresponding insert(s) for their mode(s) are placed on/near them and highlighted with the same color. In Bebop and Rocksteady's case, they look to have one insert, indicating one mode, and it is highlighted with the same light green-ish color.

That's my guess

#1820 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I hear that buuuut I’m also gonna play the F out of it myself as I live right down the street from my location.

if times were different and your location was open and at full, then the answer when you really want the pemium for personal reasons is:
1. Negotiate a package deal price up front
2. Get the Pro on D1 and route it.
3. Put the Pro up for sale 2 months post arrival and just ahead of the premium arriving.

Time it right and you may have earned yourself a much cheaper premium.

I know a few hobby operators that do this everytime.

Personally, I rarely find the prem more fun so am not interested in the extra hassle to make a premium a little cheaper.

#1821 3 years ago

A friend says his four year old is loving it.

His words, not mine-

"It is for four year olds and grown men that wish they were four year olds"

#1822 3 years ago

So who started the "Cowabunga!" revolution?

Was it the Turtles, or was it Bart Simpson?

This is important.

#1823 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:So who started the "Cowabunga!" revolution?

Neither

#1824 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So who started the "Cowabunga!" revolution?
This is important.

I thought you were an older guy its actually Howdy Doody.

#1825 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

its actually Howdy Doody.

Even that was before my time. lol. I just googled it.

Makes me wonder what other themes from children shows of the past would be so hot today though.

#1826 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I thought you were an older guy its actually Howdy Doody.

CHrist how old do you think I am?!?!

#1827 3 years ago
Quoted from Huggers:

Actually April only wore sneakers in season 1 through.... Haha I can't do it

you tried, and I appreciate that.

#1828 3 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

In Zombie Yeti's defence, I think that either all or most of the screen assets are from the animation team at Stern

That's what I wrote. XD

#1829 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

CHrist how old do you think I am?!?!

Sorry man, I didn't realize how old Howdy Doody was, just thought of it as before my time and that you seemed older than me and I'm almost 50.

#1830 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Sorry man, I didn't realize how old Howdy Doody was, just thought of it as before my time and that you seemed older than me and I'm almost 50.

Yeah, Levi sounds more bitter then a 200 year old, so you can get mistaken.

#1831 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

My DAD watched Howdy Doody as a little kid

Oh and my Mom was on the Mickey Mouse club once.

#1832 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My DAD watched Howdy Doody as a little kid
Oh and my Mom was on the Mickey Mouse club once.

I found some of my dad's Mickey Mouse Club memorabilia from before they had TV.

So perhaps that should be the next pinball theme?
Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg

#1833 3 years ago

Looking now at the Features List from Stern.
Am I mistaken that the Glider, Krang, and the Van are really the only significant PF features that are removed in the PRO?

#1834 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Looking now at the Features List from Stern.
Am I mistaken that the Glider, Krang, and the Van are really the only significant PF features that are removed in the PRO?

It appears there’s a difference in how the ball is plunged into play on the Pro as well. Not sure though. You hit the big ones though.

Oh and apparently the pizza spins both directions on the prem/LE only.

#1835 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It appears there’s a difference in how the ball is plunged into play on the Pro as well. Not sure though. You hit the big ones though.
Oh and apparently the pizza spins both directions on the prem/LE only.

And 8 ball vs. 6 ball multiball on Pro.

I could see myself picking up a Pro at sometime in the future. I think I can live without the Premium features.

#1836 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

All of your points are spot-on, but for me, the LCD isn't a huge part of the pinball playing experience (so what they've done looks good to me). For me, audio and callouts are more critical to gameplay. Jerry Thompson is doing great work at Stern - hopefully the callouts and shot choreography are well executed.

Overall, this looks like it will be a blast to play...especially if you dig the license. Wasn't really on my radar, but since I just sold my Iron Maiden, might make room for it.

#1837 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

And 8 ball vs. 6 ball multiball on Pro.

Are you sure there's actually an 8-ball multiball? I wouldn't even want that. Anything over 4-5 is worse than just having 2 or 3. I think the extra balls are just for staging purposes. Not sure you can ever stack enough MBs to get all 8 in play at once.

#1838 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Are you sure there's actually an 8-ball multiball? I wouldn't even want that. Anything over 4-5 is worse than just having 2 or 3. I think the extra balls are just for staging purposes. Not sure you can ever stack enough MBs to get all 8 in play at once.

Depending on pizza toppings you can get extra balls added in (lord I hope that sentence made sense) -- Jack started a 7 ball multiball on the stream at some point because he "had 2 gummy bears" whatever the heck that means.

But I agree with the "that's just too damn many" - it's a wow factor thing, but it's not useful.

#1839 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I'm not positive but i thought I overheard that 8 ball was possible. But I agree that anything more than 4-5 is overkill.

#1840 3 years ago

We need a day-1 custom music mod with Vanilla Ice's ninja rap somewhere in this pin, I'm just sayin'.

#1841 3 years ago

I guess Stern couldn't afford drop targets again.
That and same coder as Munsters.
Easy Pass.
next

#1842 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

because he "had 2 gummy bears" whatever the heck that means

those are edibles, don't let the kids see them.

#1843 3 years ago

Question for the Stern insiders: is there currently any cool TMNT apparel that I'm missing out on? I'm a sucker for t-shirts but don't want to drop $30 just to check if there even is anything.

#1844 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I definitely admire the extent of the work Stern does with it's team, but yeah....things like fairly static turtles during the select mode, rather than scrolling and seeing idle animations or action poses, really take away from the amount of work done by them.
I still don't understand why with most Stern releases, their font work and font animation is barely existent. Little touches like these raise the visual level from rough to polished very easily.
Compare what JP de Win does with his font work on JJP games, then look at Stern's static, lack of animation or even drop shadows text, and it feels amateurish. Which given most of their art package work on the game itself, creates an imbalance that is way too contrasting of quality, for me

Maybe it's just me, but I think too many of you are way too fixated on the animations. This is a pinball machine, not a video game or a movie. The game occurs under the glass. The LCD is just a glorified way of showing the scores. All the complaints I've had to read about pinball LCD animations being amateurish makes me wish they never became a thing.

#1845 3 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Maybe it's just me, but I think too many of you are way too fixated on the animations. This is a pinball machine, not a video game or a movie. The game occurs under the glass. The LCD is just a glorified way of showing the scores. All the complaints I've had to read about pinball LCD animations being amateurish makes me wish they never became a thing.

Yep...couldn't agree more. In fact, the effort Stern is putting into the LCD is surprising. I'd gladly trade some new/exciting "mechs" for some of the brain power that goes into these animations. I guess the spinning disk that rotates in both directions is a nice tweak.

#1846 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Yep...couldn't agree more. In fact, the effort Stern is putting into the LCD is surprising. I'd gladly trade some new/exciting "mechs" for some of the brain power that goes into these animations.

Everyone has different things they focus on. I know that I'm definitely in the minority about things that bug me about fonts for instance, and I mostly keep it to myself unless someone really goads me into a rant.

But the continued success of ColorDMD says to me that there are people who do care about getting the most out of their displays, even if the focus during gameplay is on the playfield.

I'm not knocking Stern's efforts, because I know how much work it all really is. They're just not taking approaches that personally appeal most of the time. I haven't played enough Batman 66 to really judge, but I think that one has really smart asset use. And I definitely respect the level of effort that went into original world building on the new Black Knight screen. Was more interesting to me than the playfield honestly.

But much of the LCD stuff just feels a little like the CD-ROM era to me, remember that? Just the vibe.

I'd like to see some different style of thinking in general. You have a high rez screen, you really can do anything you want. Sometimes less is more, you don't need a lot of 3D model animation to feel good, even more static elements deployed in a dynamic way read really well. That's a lesson you can take from the source:

229e375fbf9cf13c6e01f050ca92c063.gif229e375fbf9cf13c6e01f050ca92c063.gif

#1847 3 years ago

Watching the stream back again it looks like Dwight has coded his ass off. Loving the rules and modes on this.

#1848 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'm not positive but i thought I overheard that 8 ball was possible. But I agree that anything more than 4-5 is overkill.

Yes, in Ninja Pizza Multiball the toppings affect the mode and in this case Gummy Bears affect the number of balls. I believe Dwight says 5 Gummy Bears make it an 8 ball but about halfway in the video Jack gets a 7 ball MB with 4 Gummy Bears.

#1849 3 years ago
Quoted from truemagoo102:

People complaining about the inserts being put as an afterthought- it looks like each insert is for each villain on the playfield. Sort of like the bosses in DP.

I think I'm the only one complaining. I'll start out by saying, I 100% agree with you. The inserts represent each villain just like in Deadpool. However, look at how well the inserts are incorporated into the artwork on Deadpool. That's one of the reasons Zombie Yeti is my favorite artist. His art is great and he does such a great job of incorporating shot lines and inserts. I'm not seeing the same attention to detail in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which is why I'm wondering if perhaps he was not provided the location of the inserts until further along in the process.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1850 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Yep...couldn't agree more. In fact, the effort Stern is putting into the LCD is surprising. I'd gladly trade some new/exciting "mechs" for some of the brain power that goes into these animations. I guess the spinning disk that rotates in both directions is a nice tweak.

Good point! I say let's go back to alphanumeric displays and put the money back into the playfield.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.99
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toughkenamon, PA
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
System-J
Other
10,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint-eustache, QC
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
There are 3,151 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 64.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-stern-hype-thread/page/37?hl=jason_jehosaphat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.