20200804_103634 (resized).jpg
New Fence (resized).jpg
15963059000502369500953280519597 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
A4B46054-2D13-4BAA-84CB-2FF4E4BB6AD8 (resized).png
0A982855-3F43-4A16-9E0F-F35100F595B3 (resized).jpeg
BF285EDC-2988-4E55-85AC-8272D2733D3D (resized).jpeg
cool-kit-right (resized).jpg
There are 3,151 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 64.
#1651 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Modern Stern = Ramps w/mono-targets......and..........

Fun is the word you are looking for.

#1652 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Anyone have a link to the recording of the stream? Caught the last 30 seconds.

You can also watch it on YouTube now (like on your big screen TV!!):

#1653 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Follow up question: Did you ever watch an advertisement in your whole live?

Follow up answer: LOL, I work in advertising... so I guess?

I’m sorry but calling this stream amateur is just insane. Video production and lighting were stellar... game played great, the entire development team were accessible to answer questions. Oh, and they did this after being completely shut down for months... MONTHS!

But I guess because the prototype rail had a ding on it they obviously have no pride in their product right?

#1654 3 years ago

Just looking at the playfield differences between versions.

I didn't watch all the stream so my question below might have been explained.
Anyone explain the purpose of the premium/le metal ramp on the right side leading out of the shooter lane?

Seems to drop it onto the playfield a little higher (compared to the pro) thats all. Is it part of a specific skill shot or something?

edit: oh i see it can come down the right plastic ramp.
hard plunge : exit left orbit or pops?
medium : right plastic ramp
weak : right orbit

#1655 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'm kind of feeling like the really nice launch code, and really cluttered/busy excellent art by ZY is maybe smoothing over a lack of physical features.

Yes, it is a game I REALLY want to play because it looks tons of fun, but not so sure about owning.

The Code seems allready to be on a level that the game stays fun when you own it for a long time, but that initial trigger hasn't been pulled for me and I'm a TMNT fan. That is propably the reason I don't like it as much as I thought I do, since every dislike I have is where they didn't do the license justice.

For pre-teenage me April was always... kinda hot. So now I see her on that LCD and...

Gimme a Balrog/ Shredder Bash toy which flips aside to open the door to the Technodrome... yet we got a Pizza.
(And of course the Pizza is a nice change of pace, since you can't put a bash toy on every single game - but I don't own every single game and I'd like to shoot the bad guys.)

Sorry sounding may more critical then I mean it.
Most of it is love!

#1656 3 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Follow up answer: LOL, I work in advertising... so I guess?
I’m sorry but calling this stream amateur is just insane. Video production and lighting were stellar... game played great, the entire development team were accessible to answer questions. Oh, and they did this after being completely shut down for months... MONTHS!
But I guess because the prototype rail had a ding on it they obviously have no pride in their product right?

I did never call it that, but if you're not horrible at your job (make the product shine the best it can, to a degree the real product looks like shit in comparison) you'd let someone get a towel to clean the playfield of any dust/ dirt.

(Can't do anything about the rest and that's ok, but srsly, just go trough the game with a clean cloth, before the closeups.)

#1657 3 years ago

These pinside boys don’t cut ‘em no slack.

#1658 3 years ago

Not sure if anyone else feels this way but when I see anything Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles related I think "That was a cool part of my childhood" and that's about it. I used to love TMNT but it got left behind as I got older whereas other themes such as Back to the Future and Ghostbusters have stuck with me into adulthood. I'll still watch Back to the Future and Ghostbusters once or twice a year but haven't watched anything TMNT related in almost 20 years. If a new Back to the Future trilogy pin was being made I would be all over it but I can't say the same for TMNT.

#1659 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I did never call it that, but if you're not horrible at your job (make the product shine the best it can, to a degree the real product looks like shit in comparison) you'd let someone get a towel to clean the playfield of any dust/ dirt.

I never said I was good at my job

And I was referring to the guy who called this a backyard quality reveal haha.

Yeah, you make fair points for sure... but a lot of those things that guy circled could not be buffed out with some Novus 1 and a soft cloth!

#1660 3 years ago

So Dwight mentioned that the diverter also holds the ball in place which is what that metal thing is on the pro. On the pro no diverter but they have the hold feature. Some modes like foot 123 enable the hold ball feature so the player can look up and see they won the mode. Then the ball is released. So that explains that

It’s also nice to see that there is a physical ball lock on the pro which is underneath the van. There is no unlock open van door ball release for that specific mb which is 8 balls on the premium and 6 on the pro

#1661 3 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

but a lot of those things that guy circled could not be buffed out with some Novus 1 and a soft cloth!

Yeah, was only referring to some of the dirt.

As allready said, I guess they did a lot of stuff in house for this prototype (models 3D printed and hand painted and maybe the ramps galvanized by themselves, who knows).

#1662 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

On the pro no diverter but they have the hold feature.

Told you so.

#1663 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

After watching the stream..... ugh... I guess I'm out. :/

Sigh. Yeah on the fence but no rush.

#1664 3 years ago

I hope krang talks as much when you shoot him on pro. That voice work is really good

Leo is by far the worst turtle. He sounds like such a big P. Let’s take these turkeys out? C’mon now. They really should have gotten someone with a lot more horsepower.

#1665 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Fun is the word you are looking for.

I hope so! I always look forward to playing a new Stern on location! JP2 was the closest I came to home ownership, but I always go in wanting to like a pin!

Quoted from delt31:

So Dwight mentioned that the diverter also holds the ball in place which is what that metal thing is on the pro. On the pro no diverter but they have the hold feature. Some modes like foot 123 enable the hold ball feature so the player can look up and see they won the mode. Then the ball is released. So that explains that
It’s also nice to see that there is a physical ball lock on the pro which is underneath the van. There is no unlock open van door ball release for that specific mb which is 8 balls on the premium and 6 on the pro

If there's no ramp diverter, that kind of sucks, as that's definitely a feature of gameplay. Not that the trex moving wasn't, but how much in comparison to that is the diverter mech, sans toy?

#1666 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I hope krang talks as much when you shoot him on pro. That voice work is really good
Leo is by far the worst turtle. He sounds like such a big P. They really should have gotten someone with a little more horsepower.

Agree on krang. I like the shedder voice work sounds pretty decent too. Splinter could use a lil work imo.

#1667 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Anyone explain the purpose of the premium/le metal ramp on the right side leading out of the shooter lane?

It seems to be there in order to stage 3 balls into the van lock.

#1668 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

(Can't do anything about the rest and that's ok, but srsly, just go trough the game with a clean cloth, before the closeups.)

If the biggest complaint is that there is was smudge on the reveal pin, I’d mark that as a win for Stern in the world of Pinside.

#1669 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I hope so! I always look forward to playing a new Stern on location! JP2 was the closest I came to home ownership, but I always go in wanting to like a pin!

If there's no ramp diverter, that kind of sucks, as that's definitely a feature of gameplay. Not that the trex moving wasn't, but how much in comparison to that is the diverter mech, sans toy?

For me that diverter isn’t important. Not even close to a real toy. I hate using that middle button on the lock bar and now I won’t have to even worry about it which is fine with me. Plus the toy on the diverter is bulk and cheap looking. It’s no magna slings our trex that actually eats the ball and throws it. Those were worth the upgrade and why I went premium. So far not seeing it

#1670 3 years ago

I would guess not as there is no Krang on the pro. For me...the premium is stacked and is a total no brainer. Pro is weak sauce.

Quoted from delt31:

Leo is by far the worst turtle. He sounds like such a big P. Let’s take these turkeys out? C’mon now. They really should have gotten someone with a lot more horsepower.

#1671 3 years ago

For the snowflakes, this is in no way a criticism of the layout, but it is like a mirrored TFTC. That's a good thing as I like TFTC.

tmntvstftc (resized).jpgtmntvstftc (resized).jpg
#1672 3 years ago

The game looks really cool! Enjoyed the stream. Can’t wait to play the game!

#1673 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

For me that diverter isn’t important. Not even close to a real toy. I hate using that middle button on the lock bar and now I won’t have to even worry about it which is fine with me. Plus the toy on the diverter is bulk and cheap looking. It’s no magna slings our trex that actually eats the ball and throws it. Those were worth the upgrade and why I went premium. So far not seeing it

This is one of the pins I’d definitely not go pro on... Premium or LE if I was buying. You’re missing the 8 ball multi ball, Krang, better van, better spinning disk. I mean if you are trying to save money and only plan on keeping it in your collection a short while, sure go pro. But if it’s a potential keeper, I’d regret buying the pro vs the premium or LE. Or are you trying to rationalize the pro as being good enough?

I’m only putting one new pin in my place this year, and it’s already reserved for an early Rick and Morty number, but I might pick up a TMNT at some point.

#1674 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I would guess not as there is no Krang on the pro. For me...the premium is stacked and is a total no brainer. Pro is weak sauce.

Nah - that’s a switch triggered when you shoot the krang shot so I would expect the voice to trigger off that. I’m ok losing the pop bumper toy. Can always add a toy that’s on that pop of I wanted. I’ve never seen exclusive speech for Prem or LE on recent sterns

rather put the extra 2k towards gnr

#1675 3 years ago

Ugh see my avatar... I have custom TMNT cab with switcher running TMNT and TMNT Turtles in Time both on original hardware arcade boards. Signed up for this site years ago wanting either Mario Gottlieb, TMNT DE or Simpsons DE as my first entry pin but moved along...

Now it seems like I may have to pull the trigger on this one. Should I just go for LE knowing I'll keep this as HUO and probably will stay under a few hundred plays? In my experiences you get the new toy and everyone wants to play, then it gathers a lot of dust.

Theme was #1 factor for me and this is my calling it seems. Theme seems to be a polarizing issue here but as a collector of vintage video games TMNT prices have been batshit crazy over the last 3 or 4 years. You used to be able to set a Mint Sealed TMNT 1 (NES) for around $600-$800, now it's $3500-$4000. TMNT has a cult following and these will go quickly I imagine.

#1676 3 years ago

I want one! I want one! I want one!
...But it is a bit of a corny theme.

#1677 3 years ago

“WE really hip”

Redone theme song can’t even get the words correct. GD Nickelodeon.

#1678 3 years ago

Game looks appealing...

#1679 3 years ago

The stream: Pleease just play the games without explaining every little thing. Please please please.

Yeti art is awesome, looks great. Really looks like he took elements from different designs that were used on the show & merch & combined it along with his style.

Borg usually makes nice playing games, looks fun & smooth to play.

Music is incredible, Jerry rules!

.....and the fake voices.
OK - I’ll give them some credit. This isn’t remotely Bobaleebobo or Shitty Beast. It’s clear the actors are fans of the material & are doing decent sound alikes....buuuut, it’s still not the voices of my nostalgia. It bums me out, especially since they’re doing dialog and stories from the cartoon...I wish they had just used show clips for those & hired some of the real actors for custom. Hearing a classic Raphael line but not from Rob Paulsen is just weird. Most people prob won’t care, and it’s leagues better than the horrible Marvel game voices...but, takes things down a few notches for me.

The fake footage on the LCD as well...relatively janky CG models that look like they’re from an up-rezzed PS1 game. Stiff & hollow movement. April looks awful. I dunno, it’s not impressive to me. Would have rather seen 2D art manipulation or show clips. That being said - when I’m playing the game, I’m looking at the playfield & this animation is just “business” on the score display...so, not a deal breaker, not offensive....just perplexing & dated looking.

At the end of the day, even with my nitpicks I can see the passion from the TMNT fans who made this game, and I appreciate that. I think it’s gonna be a lot of fun, and the code/rules look nice as well. It feels like Dwight landed right in the middle of complex & approachable, and I think that’ll please all players on this one.

For me, I needed all I expected to be there to bite and pre-order. So, that’s not gonna happen...but I’ll keep my eye on this machine & could possibly see getting one down the road.

#1680 3 years ago
Quoted from snowy_owl:

Game looks appealing...

O RLY?

#1681 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

For the snowflakes, this is in no way a criticism of the layout, but it is like a mirrored TFTC. That's a good thing as I like TFTC.
[quoted image]

You just posted two pictures, even when orientated to look the way you want them to, don’t look like similar layouts at all. Two ramps in somewhat relative placement (and again, you flipped one of the pics) doesn’t make layouts equal, and they still have countless other differences in layout.

#1682 3 years ago
Quoted from jonebone:

Ugh see my avatar... I have custom TMNT cab with switcher running TMNT and TMNT Turtles in Time both on original hardware arcade boards. Signed up for this site years ago wanting either Mario Gottlieb, TMNT DE or Simpsons DE as my first entry pin but moved along...
Now it seems like I may have to pull the trigger on this one. Should I just go for LE knowing I'll keep this as HUO and probably will stay under a few hundred plays? In my experiences you get the new toy and everyone wants to play, then it gathers a lot of dust.
Theme was #1 factor for me and this is my calling it seems. Theme seems to be a polarizing issue here but as a collector of vintage video games TMNT prices have been batshit crazy over the last 3 or 4 years. You used to be able to set a Mint Sealed TMNT 1 (NES) for around $600-$800, now it's $3500-$4000. TMNT has a cult following and these will go quickly I imagine.

While all nes prices have soared in the last 10 years, I’ve Never seen anything near those prices for tmnt nes. Even graded is half that.

Beyond that, agree they have a cult following and snagged myself an LE. Super excited!

#1683 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Uh, there's actually 4 Cartoon Series and 6 Movies, all different actors, in the TMNT 2012 they even changed some inbetween seasons, so I don't give the slightest shit.

I love that it's Bonkers laying down the law here about cartoons

#1684 3 years ago
Quoted from r00DVM:

twitch.tv/DeadFlip

who's the dude with the awesome record collection behind him?

#1685 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Modern Stern = Ramps w/mono-targets......and..........

...and a bash toy

#1686 3 years ago

Dupe post. Deleted

#1687 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

You just posted two pictures, even when orientated to look the way you want them to, don’t look like similar layouts at all. Two ramps in somewhat relative placement (and again, you flipped one of the pics) doesn’t make layouts equal, and those you showed have countless other differences.

As I said - looks like a MIRRORED tftc. Apologies if you cant see the similarities.

#1688 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

As I said - looks like a MIRRORED tftc. Apologies if you cant see the similarities.

Other than ramp placement on a flipped layout, what else is there? TFTC has a 3-bank target in the middle, a VUK, no third ramp, cross shots are different, a scoop that TMNT doesn’t have, ramps go to different flippers, and pops are in a different location.

But yeah, besides all of those glaring issues, similar layouts.

#1689 3 years ago

robin I think everyone in here should get a new Pinside achievement. We're creeping on 3 days of serious hype and all the posts are in this single thread! Never been done before!

Alternatively, what's wrong with you guys? The only certainties in life were death, taxes and 42 new threads on game release day. Can't count on anything anymore.

#1690 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Other than ramp placement on a flipped layout, what else is there? TFTC has a 3-bank target in the middle, a VUK, no third ramp, cross shots are different, a scoop that TMNT doesn’t have, ramps go to different flippers, and pops are in a different location.
But yeah, besides all of those glaring issues, similar layouts.

he's not saying they're identical. No question they are similar in those pics. Not a bad thing he's just pointing it out.

#1691 3 years ago

The similarities in basic shot layout on TFTC and TMNT are obviously there (that’s a good thing) aaand they are both Borg games....unsure how you aren’t able to see that.

Quoted from Yoko2una:

You just posted two pictures, even when orientated to look the way you want them to, don’t look like similar layouts at all. Two ramps in somewhat relative placement (and again, you flipped one of the pics) doesn’t make layouts equal, and they still have countless other differences in layout.

#1692 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

he's not saying they're identical. No question they are similar in those pics. Not a bad thing he's just pointing it out.

One is a flipped pic and there are still a million differences. A deeper left ramp and a more forward right ramp, just inside the right orbit describes every other Stern for the last decade. Don’t have to go all the way back to a mirrored TFTC to make a thinly veiled comparison.

#1693 3 years ago

Dude...game designers mirror their old layouts and rework them for new titles ALL THE TIME.

Quoted from Yoko2una:

One is a flipped pic and there are still a million differences. A deeper left ramp and a more forward right ramp, just inside the right orbit describes every other Stern for the last decade. Don’t have to go all the way back to a mirrored TFTC to make a thinly veiled comparison.

#1694 3 years ago

Wasn't really feeling it when I saw the leaked photos, but the stream really changed my mind. This pin looks like a lot of fun and something I may need to have in my collection.

I love the co-op mode, being able to pick your character, the pizza interaction during multi-ball, and being able to control the diverter. The shots also look really enjoyable as well.

Hmm...

#1695 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Dude...game designers mirror their old layouts and rework them for new titles ALL THE TIME.

Quoted from Yoko2una:

Don’t have to go all the way back to a mirrored TFTC to make a thinly veiled comparison.

Honestly, if I was a designer I'd take old CAD layouts, flip them, stretch them, etc etc. You'd be crazy not to. I seriously doubt any designer sits at a completely blank canvas and draws from scratch anymore. Its like using as a template.

Just stating it as a point of interest. Like seeing an evolution of an "artists" work. Just another thing to geek out over in pinball.

#1696 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Yeah, and Borg has been the modern King of rehashing layouts. I'm the one who is saying this is DIFFERENT than a flipped TFTC, but some here seem to think this is a flipped TFTC which is crazytown. The main two ramps' placement is the only similarity. Ok, so if we only look at those ramps' placement and ignore EVERY OTHER freggin aspect in the layout, I guess we could say it's also a clone of Munsters too. Ignoring everything else, why not? Same game I guess.

#1697 3 years ago

We are saying the BASIC shot layout is SIMILAR to a mirrored TFTC. Which is inarguably true. That’s all...

Quoted from Yoko2una:

Yeah, and Borg has been the modern King of rehashing layouts. I'm the one who is saying this is DIFFERENT than a flipped TFTC, but some here seem to think this is a flipped TFTC which is crazytown. The main two ramps' placement is the only similarity. Ok, so if we only look at those ramps' placement and ignore EVERY OTHER freggin aspect in the layout, I guess we could say it's also a clone of Munsters too. Ignoring everything else, why not? Same game I guess.

#1698 3 years ago
Quoted from jonebone:

You used to be able to set a Mint Sealed TMNT 1 (NES) for around $600-$800, now it's $3500-$4000. TMNT has a cult following and these will go quickly I imagine.

Dont be that guy telling people they have Disney tapes worth thousands. I sold off my game collection for over 15k cdn in the last 3yrs to fund my pinball habit.
You want a sealed, graded copy.? Here's two i found in 2min on eBay.
9.0 is about $1,600 usd
6.0 is only less than $600 usd

Maybe not mint but factory sealed and graded. I literally used the first two completed sealed listings I found on Ebay.

Screenshot_20200527-233003_eBay (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200527-233003_eBay (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200527-233019_eBay (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200527-233019_eBay (resized).jpg

#1699 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

We are saying the BASIC shot layout is SIMILAR to a mirrored TFTC. Which is inarguably true. That’s all...

Name one other similarity other than flipped ramp placement. I can see twenty differences.

#1700 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

You knwo I won't leave.
But srsly, why? ZY made some sweet pics, just use one of those.
This April "model" is really beyond good & evil.

In Zombie Yeti's defence, I think that either all or most of the screen assets are from the animation team at Stern

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grindstone, PA
$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Jacksonville, FL
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 7,999.00
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tualatin, OR
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 3,151 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 64.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-stern-hype-thread/page/34?hl=mizzou0103 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.