20200804_103634 (resized).jpg
New Fence (resized).jpg
15963059000502369500953280519597 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
A4B46054-2D13-4BAA-84CB-2FF4E4BB6AD8 (resized).png
0A982855-3F43-4A16-9E0F-F35100F595B3 (resized).jpeg
BF285EDC-2988-4E55-85AC-8272D2733D3D (resized).jpeg
cool-kit-right (resized).jpg
There are 3,151 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 64.
#1601 3 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

I think her stuff looks better in other areas...

It indeed did but still not really great and also pretty far off from the cartoons.

#1602 3 years ago
Quoted from Exeter:

How many games have you designed?

What has that to do with anything?

#1603 3 years ago

After watching the stream I think this is basically like the Raw Thrills TMNT arcade game for me. I appreciate all the effort from the team, and what they were trying to capture as far as the nostalgia of an era, and I'd be happy to play it on location if such a thing ever exists again, but it's not really for me. One of those "you can't go back" things perhaps.

I think the highlights are ZY's art package and the layout looks fun to shoot. Dwight seemed enthusiastic on stream, hopefully the rules all gel nicely.

I wish Stern the best of luck, and I'm really happy for people like Jared who are getting a dream theme. This is a tough time with the pandemic and I thought the remote stream format was great, well done Jack and everyone else.

#1604 3 years ago

Glad I ordered the LE . Grandchildren will have fun.

#1605 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I really don't get this bash the button thing, its not a mode, it comes across as so lazy. Also the LCD graphics and animation are super poor quality for this day and age but I guess acceptable for Stern.

Compare the screen graphics to something early Spike like Aerosmith and it's come a LOOOOOONNNNNG way.

#1606 3 years ago

Well, that stream sealed the deal. Do want.

#1607 3 years ago

Anyone have a link to the recording of the stream? Caught the last 30 seconds.

#1608 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Anyone have a link to the recording of the stream? Caught the last 30 seconds.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/633845712

#1609 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Compare the screen graphics to something early Spike like Aerosmith and it's come a LOOOOOONNNNNG way.

Yes it did. Most (!) models look fine, you just notice in the animation (sometimes it has no "weight" to it or the movement is anorganic) that this is not a A-Tier Videogame. While this is a bummer (since pinball isn't cheap) it's understandable since pinball is a compareably small endeavour.
But what I don't get is, why they not just scrap making & animating a compareably (tio the TMNT themselfes) poor "Baxter Stockman" and just replace him with a 2D pic from ZY.

#1610 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah like I said for Stern I guess it's acceptable, for basically any other digital media in 2020, its pretty abysmal. It's sad because the art on the pin itself I think is fantastic, completely nailed it. Do they pay him half as much for the art for the LCD or does ZY not provide art for the animation at all?

#1611 3 years ago

Now the long wait for my premium . I think stern did a great job on the whole package. I also enjoyed SW tie fighter button smashing so I’m digging the pizza eating contest mode.

#1612 3 years ago

I know nothing about the TMNT except they like pizza and are turtles, duh.., I guess I missed it by 10 years at 47 now... But this game looks very fast and fun! Super flow! Not sure if I could buy one though as I have no nostalgic connection to relate to any of the characters. Wonder if there is a cliff notes version of the characters/story so the game would make more sense given all the mechanics... Modes... episodes...

#1613 3 years ago

Better than I expected. Look forward to trying it out.

#1614 3 years ago

After watching the stream..... ugh... I guess I'm out. :/

#1615 3 years ago

Is the stream over already?

#1616 3 years ago
Quoted from snowy_owl:

Yeah. Pro reveal stream on Friday. It'll be on the front page of Twitch, huge audience.

#1617 3 years ago
Quoted from snowy_owl:

Can watch the Twitch archive here.

https://www.twitch.tv/deadflip/videos

#1618 3 years ago

Darn. I missed it. At least I got to see the first part.

#1619 3 years ago

Not a fan of the theme at all, but that doesn’t usually stop me from getting a game. Baywatch is an awful theme, but a great game. Tmnt2 reminds of Deadpool artwork (not surprising) and the animations with the cartoonish feel, and looks like it shoots really well, like a JP. Wonder where we will be on code at release. I’d think with all this down time, code should be nearly complete at release. Looking forward to playing it. The mechs look relatively simple, not like st, thankfully.

#1620 3 years ago
Quoted from Exeter:

How many games have you designed?

Has nothing to do with my observation. I have played over 150 tables. Now I watched the stream. Just not excited for this table.

#1621 3 years ago

Sooooooo....there are definitely NO subways in a game about turtles that live...in a subway, correct?

Kind of a bummer there, as that and saucers/scoops help give a bit of variety for shots. Are there either of those?

Looks really solid in a lot of areas, and fun to compete/co-op on location. Lots of frenetic soundscape design, which would maybe drive me nuts for homeplay.

#1622 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Has nothing to do with my observation. I have played over 150 tables. Now I watched the stream. Just not excited for this table.

^^^^THIS has nothing to do with your observation

#1623 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

^^^^THIS has nothing to do with your observation

You missed the point buddy.

#1624 3 years ago

SOOOOOOO that stream. I very rarely watch these things live on twitch but i'm a huge fan of this game so I was in there with the rest. Sometimes the self congratulating was over the top by the stern guys and Jack of course gushing but whatever - people were excited. I get it and really a BIG shout out for these guys to show us day 1. Really appreciated that.

Overall this game is def good. It's not amazing. It's not terrible. It's def not innovative at all and that leaves me disappointed but it's a fools game to expect that from stern. In fact the last "innovation" (which it wasn't) was that disaster ST prem projector that I could barely see when they showed it off and it was even worse in person. Speaking of ST - this game murders the code on Stranger Things day 1.

Also - I noticed Kaneda was on the stream and although I usually agree with the kid on many things - his comment about only middle class or some stupid comment on poorer people buying pros and people should step it up. Just a dumb misguided comment that really only gives the haters more things to say. Just a really dumb comment. Here's a protip K - use your brain and buy the prem or LE if it's worth it. Otherwise, you're just like the sheep you call out - mindless.

SO....pros and cons

+Art is really good

+Code looks really good. Biggest surprise for me thus far in the right direction. I'm excited for it. Loves the modes and the approach. Good job Dwight.

+Layout. Damn that layout looked really good. Very flowy.

+/- LCD art: This varied from great to terrible. A lot of it was good. But then I saw slash who looked really REALLY bad and April was hopefully a placeholder b/c that would be a joke if it stayed as is. Just inconsistent but I would say majority was decent to good.

-/+ Custom Voices: Leo bad, April bad BUT some were good. Krang was the best - splinter, mikey, Don (OK) even Shredder was decent. Overall disappointed they didn't get the original actors but hopefully pinbrowser is allowed.

- Custom Theme of Original Theme - it's not their fault. Nick wants people to use this garbage BUT I asked them to allow us to right the wrong with pinbrowser. We shall see

- Stupid action button nonsense. Stop the mashing. I'm not complaining too much about it b/c I didn't see multiplier city so I'll take the trade off.

Excited for the stream on Friday for the pro. They were very secretive about the pro and it's features. Not sure why but they're holding out on us until Friday.

Pro all the way on this one for me (for now). Better art, premium features not enough from what I've seen thus far. I also don't like the art side and front as much.

Good job Stern. Wish I could say amazing but I'm happy.

#1625 3 years ago

I think that the party wagon lock should make you lock all the balls(4)to get the multiball, instead of just locking one and they all come out. It would feel like you earned it and not just given to you.

#1626 3 years ago

Anyone know when these are suppose to ship?

#1627 3 years ago

Layout looks like a blast and absolutely dig Dwight's code.
Theme is whatever to me.
Can't wait to shoot this one soon!

#1628 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

improved code can replace animations over time. itll get better. but this early the whole thing looks great. I have a tough decision between this, JP and Wonka. I think this may be it.....

People said the same thing about Munsters at release. I knew the machine was weak when I bought but all the talk was Dwight would make it good eventually. It's functional and fun for short bits but very 1 dimensional and seriously lacking show material or integration. Then a month later Dwight said it was done and the only updates have been for the topper.

I like the layout and design of this machine but will be sitting out and waiting to see what happens with the code. Not making the same mistake twice. If it's good in six months-year I'll revisit. I have the go ahead from my wife to get a new machine right now too... Too bad

#1629 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

But what I don't get is, why they not just scrap making & animating a compareably (tio the TMNT themselfes) poor "Baxter Stockman" and just replace him with a 2D pic from ZY.

Quoted from Darscot:

Do they pay him half as much for the art for the LCD or does ZY not provide art for the animation at all?

The animation on the game is being done with cel shaded 3D models. I doubt ZY is involved at all, it's an entirely different process from hand drawing art.

There are some tricks to fake motion out of 2D drawings, you can rig them with a kind of armature so they can distort and layer into a semblance of life, but it's somewhat limited.

It's much more efficient to animate with 3D models. Instead of drawing individual frames, which is time consuming, you can do the work to make a model, rig it, and then pose and tween it to make it move. Still work, but less so than drawing each frame by hand over and over.

Really though, animation is just work in general. It's time consuming. What I saw today wasn't my cup of tea at all. I'd honestly take more creative use of static assets over that kind of 3D work, but you do have to appreciate that it's not easy with a small team and budget to crank out.

I think the best example of making the most out of drawings is to look at what Spooky did with Alice Cooper. They used creativity and presentation to make up for less actual animation. A work smarter not harder approach. Lots of ways to skin that cat though.

#1630 3 years ago

The stream made me like the game more than I thought I would. It looks great and shots look fun. The playfield is stacked with features! The co-op / shared progress modes are really cool and I think they should add that to other pins. With shared progress the non-pros can get to some of the end game modes we normally wouldn’t.

#1631 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Anyone know when these are suppose to ship?

Pro Mid-June. Prem/LE July. Allegedly.

#1632 3 years ago

So what was it that someone wrote that Pinball Browser doesn't work anymore?

I need to replace that Theme song with...

No, srsly Stern plz let us gaijins change it! (And I love this guys voice - wich is his actual voice due to medical conditions.)

(And yes it's the "hero" Turtles, since Ninjas are evil, but everyone who knows his/her Turtles knows that story.)

#1633 3 years ago

Wow what a backyard video edit / launch ? NO way would i allow this to pass for any product i've launched. I won't waste time with words & just let the pictures do the talking lol ... so grubby. Apologies if someone has already pointed this out.

IMG-0647 (resized).jpgIMG-0647 (resized).jpgIMG-0648 (resized).jpgIMG-0648 (resized).jpgIMG-0649 (resized).jpgIMG-0649 (resized).jpgIMG-0650 (resized).jpgIMG-0650 (resized).jpgIMG-0651 (resized).jpgIMG-0651 (resized).jpgIMG-0652 (resized).jpgIMG-0652 (resized).jpg
#1634 3 years ago
Quoted from Shinemyballz:

Wow what a backyard video edit / launch ? NO way would i allow this to pass for any product i've launched. I won't waste time with words & just let the pictures do the talking lol ... so grubby. Apologies if someone has already pointed this out.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I thought the rusted habitrails were on-theme.

#1635 3 years ago

I have to give stern props. I'm a huge Ninja turtles fan and I've seen every iteration they've turned into and I have to say this looks amazing. I never thought this day would come but they got a NIB purchase out of me.

#1636 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The animation on the game is being done with cel shaded 3D models. I doubt ZY is involved at all, it's an entirely different process from hand drawing art.
There are some tricks to fake motion out of 2D drawings, you can rig them with a kind of armature so they can distort and layer into a semblance of life, but it's somewhat limited.
It's much more efficient to animate with 3D models. Instead of drawing individual frames, which is time consuming, you can do the work to make a model, rig it, and then pose and tween it to make it move. Still work, but less so than drawing each frame by hand over and over.
Really though, animation is just work in general. It's time consuming. What I saw today wasn't my cup of tea at all. I'd honestly take more creative use of static assets over that kind of 3D work, but you do have to appreciate that it's not easy with a small team and budget to crank out.
I think the best example of making the most out of drawings is to look at what Spooky did with Alice Cooper. They used creativity and presentation to make up for less actual animation. A work smarter not harder approach. Lots of ways to skin that cat though.

Your lead artist should be the lead artist, it doesn't matter who does the modelling or animating its painfully obvious these are completely separate groups. Implementation is really irrelevant, if you fake it with 2D assets or build it with 3D how it comes out in the end is what matters. The pin itself looks killer just sad the animation is not nearly the same quality.

#1637 3 years ago

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It's a prototype version, not production 'just out of the box'. Given the circumstances of people not being able to work in offices the past few months, I fail to see any problem here.

Rob

#1638 3 years ago

Just watched a few minutes of the stream. Fame looks FUN. Layout awesome. Liking the art in real life. Still trying to get past the theme, but not as off-putting as I originally thought.

Still need to dig deeper into the code but seems pretty complete for Stern?

#1639 3 years ago

Wow what a backyard video edit / launch ? NO way would i allow this to pass for any product i've launched. I won't waste time with words & just let the pictures do the talking lol ... so grubby. Apologies if someone has already pointed this out.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It's a prototype, the toys are also 3D prints & hand painted by the looks of it.

Why they didn't clean the playfield in some shots I really can't explain though, but it doesn't bother me.

#1640 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

It's a prototype, the toys are also 3D prints & hand painted by the looks of it.
Why they didn't clean the playfield in some shots I really can't explain though, but it doesn't bother me.

They probably did not have any opportunity to because of current circumstances.

Rob

#1641 3 years ago

My super awesome local op is getting one for his route! Looking forward to dropping some coin in this.

#1642 3 years ago

The selectable diverter isn't on the Pro, correct? So that means you can't divert the ball to either lane when it's shooting back down?

If so, that's a basic feature removed from the Pro, which would really suck. As otherwise how many features are in the Pro/Game? Spinning pizza magnet, ball lock van but not on the Pro, Krang bumper bopper not on the Pro.

#1643 3 years ago

OK. So, follow up question: do you actually play your games? Or is it more of a make heavy breathing noises while you stand an inch from your playfield looking for imperfections kind of situation?

#1644 3 years ago

Do we have a coil count yet? That's still a thing right?

And for the love of god, can someone make a vangument for or against the game to rile up Levi?

#1645 3 years ago

Co-op 3v1 2vs2 all awesome, all long overdue! Kudos to Dwight and team. (Yea, I know co-op’s been done before)

Overall, this looks like a great shooter. I’m looking forward to pro gameplay video Friday.

#1646 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

The selectable diverter isn't on the Pro, correct? So that means you can't divert the ball to either lane when it's shooting back down?
If so, that's a basic feature removed from the Pro, which would really suck. As otherwise how many features are in the Pro/Game? Spinning pizza magnet, ball lock van but not on the Pro, Krang bumper bopper not on the Pro.

The van is there and the ball lock for the van but not IN the van (with an additional mech to open the door) on the Pro, at least according to the specsheet.

I'm a bit torn since I like what I see (mostly) but for me the game falls in theme integration on the toy side...

...and before you downvote plz read me out:
How come a comedy series like Munsters get's a Herman Munster Bash Toy (so you basically "fight" him) and TMNT, wich is a series about fighting bad dudes, has no Bashtoy whatsover... but a spinning Pizza as the main toy, wich allready has been done in the Data East TMNT. (And yes it's different and this game will be a million times better then DE TMNT.)

#1647 3 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

OK. So, follow up question: do you actually play your games? Or is it more of a make heavy breathing noises while you stand an inch from your playfield looking for imperfections kind of situation?

Follow up question: Did you ever watch an advertisement in your whole live?

#1648 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

The van is there and the ball lock for the van but not IN the van (with an additional mech to open the door) on the Pro, at least according to the specsheet.
I'm a bit torn since I like what I see (mostly) but for me the game falls in theme integration on the toy side...
...and before you downvote plz read me out:
How come a comedy series like Munsters get's a Herman Munster Bash Toy (so you basically "fight" him) and TMNT, wich is a series about fighting bad dudes, has no Bashtoy whatsover... but a spinning Pizza as the main toy, wich allready has been done in the Data East TMNT. (And yes it's different and this game will be a million times better then DE TMNT.)

I'm kind of feeling like the really nice launch code, and really cluttered/busy excellent art by ZY is maybe smoothing over a lack of physical features.

#1649 3 years ago

May I ask you all a serious question? Why are so many shocked with certain things missing like a subway under the game or certain toys missing on a Stern. This isn't the william/bally days. This is Stern. These things people say they wished the game had are not Stern staples. I'm surprised it is 2020 and people still don't see Stern as the cheaper option for pinball in regards to assets.

#1650 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

May I ask you all a serious question? Why are so many shocked with certain things missing like a subway under the game or certain toys missing on a Stern. This isn't the william/bally days. This is Stern. These things people say they wished the game had are not Stern staples. I'm surprised it is 2020 and people still don't see Stern as the cheaper option for pinball in regards to assets.

Modern Stern = Ramps w/mono-targets......and..........

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 290.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,999.00
$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.00
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 52.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 22.00
$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

There are 3,151 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 64.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-stern-hype-thread/page/33?hl=zh2oson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.