IMG_1213.JPG
IMG_1223-798.JPG
IMG_1224.JPG
IMG_1219.JPG
IMG_1210.JPG
IMG_1215.JPG
IMG_1222.JPG

#1 9 years ago

First time posting here so please go easy. Last fall i purchased a TMNT pinball machine off a friend so it was pretty much a steal (buddy also purchased a Xenon from same guy). Some wear and tear on both, turtles was deff in the better shape, they both resided in a bar and then played over the years with dust and dirt in them. Did them way more bad then good but i purchased a DMD from a guy on ebay and of course got one "gassed out" they call it. Well i guess its gassed out, it wasnt working when we first booted it up so we started researching and checking connections when i noticed half of it was working so thats when i read bout gassed out and how they need to warm up so we did and got to play it for bout an hour (this was after we overhauled it, cleaned the whole playfield, replaced all the balls to not damage playfiend). Next day go to turn it on and notta so im pretty sure its fried but is there any way to check the power supply, read bout that being an issue too when i buy a new one i dont wanna mess another one up, they are pricey.

Also ive been hunting the manual and maybe i dont have the patience to go over every part in it but im having a hard time exactly identifying all the bulbs in it because i wanna redo em all in LED. Alot are missing in it, ive been compiling a list on my own going thru the machine so i dont need a detail list but i read something like 60 bulbs are in it?? im pretty sure the major ones are 44/47s but i think there are big ones in the backglass that may flash? Ive read alot of conflicting reports and there is no definite answer, im guessing becuase people like to sell the kits and if you can piece it together yourself then they miss out on more money.

Also when you hit start, the mechanism that kicks the ball out to you works like 5% of the time, just curious how hard that would be to change out and do you replace the whole thing or just part of it?

Thanks so much for reading my garbled mess, not the biggest forum user and i have some playfield pics but none of anything else if anyone needs to see. This community seems very friendly and helpful so I hope i get the same treatment

#2 9 years ago

Best place to start is Pinwiki for DE games . Lots of info. there ! Good Luck

#3 9 years ago

tried checking it out earlier and got a error 500 for page, rechecked it since you brought it up and same error. ive been just checking sites randomly for the last 2 days, maybe fatigue has made me pass up the info i was looking for but thanks for quick response

#4 9 years ago

For LEDs, a kit is recommended, if you dont want to mess with it...CT and PBB are good starts.
For a generic starter Kit, of 150 Bulbs, Comet has for $99.00 and free shipping.

If you need only 60 bulbs, you can buy bulbs individually from $.38-$1.29 each, with the basic frosted bulb being $.59 and up, to do the game nicely, and then say 60 at $.69...a little over $40, and grow from there.

No worries about who you buy your bulbs from...all are good people, with good products.

#5 9 years ago

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2509 for an online manual you can download and print either whole or parts as you need them.

You have to fix one problem at a time, with an order that goes like this:

Check your power supply voltages to make sure the voltages are correct and none are missing.

Examine your power supply connectors/connections for obvious burning. You may have to rebuild a connector or two, maybe more.

You should lift the playfield and check for burned coils plus measure resistance of the coils.

To operate the diagnostics available with the machine software you will need to have a working DMD to see what is going on. The diagnostics cover the flash lamps, the controlled lamps and the solenoids.

With a working DMD you can run the solenoid diagnostics which will fire each solenoid.

Consult pinwiki.com for more details on the repair of Data East pinball machines.

#6 9 years ago

I too just received an error and could not access pinwiki.com -- something must be amiss

#7 9 years ago

yeah ive checked out cointaker allready, i would prob go through them but i only found one TMNT kit and it was like 200$ and was on a different site, a buddy let me try out a few of his LEDs in my machine that he purchased for his xenon but we are both just getting into the hobby so i want to do it as close as original just with LEDs. Not sure exactly how flashers work and i want them in the right spots :/

#8 9 years ago

Good thing is it boots up and everything seems to run good, it was great when the DMD worked that night, it was bliss haha only thing that has stalled us is he ended up buying a complete working star wars pin so that deff ruins our progress on a nightly basis haha thanks for any help

#9 9 years ago

Just checked Pinwiki - Works good for me ! I have a Checkpoint with the same small DMD . It's always been real touchy with the connectors going into the back of the display . Maybe just wiggle them around untill something works ?

#10 9 years ago

yeah been checking it out and getting a bit more familiar with it, tryed the ribbon cuz i know how that goes, it seems to be getting power cuz one lil dot in the left hand corner lights up. Ive debated just getting new glass and soldering it but i dont think i want to solder like 160 small things haha

#11 9 years ago

Let me tell you from experience on the DMD. The 128x16 dmd is very, very difficult to find. Soldering in a new glass is best left to a professional. I would suggest the LED version from PinLed. It only uses low voltage so if your high voltage section is fried it will still work. Be advised, you have to modify(cut) the wood panel that the DMD mounts to to make it fit. They look great and you will be better able to troubleshoot your other problems with a working DMD.

#12 9 years ago

FYI, you will need the display ROM from your old DMD. They do not come with them.

#13 9 years ago

yeah ive checked that one out and theres a refurb one from ksarcade.com or something like that, 300-375$ deff kills me when the bigger screens go for so much less, also hurts after getting the one from ebay for 300 altho the guy refunded half the money but alas i still want it fully functioning soon :/

#14 9 years ago

yup, the one i got from ebay had it in it, so thats a semi plus side on that deal haha

#16 9 years ago

thanks man, i was looking at pinled from germany, was it a pain going thru the ordering process to get it shipped over here?

#17 9 years ago

I don't think the Pinled DMD have been available for a while . Pinball parts = Get while the Get'ins good !

#18 9 years ago

Yeah realize that now, saw a plastic set for it awhile back, shouldve got it cause now i dont see many around now

#19 9 years ago

This is exactly why I shy away from buying any DMD games with the extra small OR the extra large DMD. Not only are the DMD's hard to come by, but the power supply's are also sometimes difficult to find. Also, I was reading another discussion and currently nobody makes a replacement ramp for TMNT.

#20 9 years ago

well it was my first pin and the price i paid was a literal steal after looking into the hobby and finding what stuff goes for. good thing is the ramps good but my Michelangelo that i do believe says "b#@ching" is broke and just minor chips on alot of the other stuff. This weekend im gonna really start looking at connectors to see for any burning and gonna check pow supply. Thanks for giving me a heads up on the ramp tho.

One other question, i pulled the plunger back once and the red DE symbol on the end broke off, havent come across any of those or am i just missing it somewhere?

#21 9 years ago

Here's my TMNT. I'm not a fan of LED's in the GI, so I use color incandescent bulbs if I want some color. Same with most flashers. I have single bright LED's under my all my inserts, and frosted in the backbox.

IMG_1222.JPGIMG_1222.JPG IMG_1215.JPGIMG_1215.JPG IMG_1210.JPGIMG_1210.JPG IMG_1219.JPGIMG_1219.JPG
#22 9 years ago

// Error: Image 234182 not found //

IMG_1224.JPGIMG_1224.JPG IMG_1223-798.JPGIMG_1223-798.JPG IMG_1213.JPGIMG_1213.JPG
#23 9 years ago

Shes a beuty, im also doing my trim in green and the legs but a darker green to match the cab but i do like the lighter green. Very slick looking, thanks for sharing your work and tips

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Bam:

Shes a beuty, im also doing my trim in green and the legs but a darker green to match the cab but i do like the lighter green. Very slick looking, thanks for sharing your work and tips

Thanks, and no problem. Yeah, my habitrails needed redone, so I just decided to use the same green and yellow everywhere so it would match. The pictures really don't do it justice. It's truly nicer in person.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Bam:

im also doing my trim in green and the legs but a darker green to match the cab

I'd like to see your finished work. Post some pics when you finish it up.

#26 9 years ago

I got some before pics i can when we had the dmd working the one night but i need to find one but hate having to pay 300+ for one, ive been checking out pinwiki so im gonna look for anything a miss to maybe see if thats the problem before i say its the display

#27 9 years ago

Is that your original pizza spinner or did you replace it? Been thinking bout doing that too, if you did replace it, was it pretty easy? Decals and stickers always scare me, hate getting folds and bubbles. Been thinking bout getting new cab decals and just repainting whole machine but like i said, hate decals haha

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Bam:

Is that your original pizza spinner or did you replace it? Been thinking bout doing that too, if you did replace it, was it pretty easy? Decals and stickers always scare me, hate getting folds and bubbles. Been thinking bout getting new cab decals and just repainting whole machine but like i said, hate decals haha

Replaced. Honestly, I had a good friend do it for me. He shops up machines and replaces decals all the time, so I referred to him. It didn't seem real hard. He took the pizza spinner assembly out of the machine, my old decal was already about gone, so he didn't have to do much to get the rest off. Then he just very slowly put in on.

Quoted from Bam:

ive been checking out pinwiki so im gonna look for anything a miss to maybe see if thats the problem before i say its the display

I'm not real tech savvy, sorry. Only thing I can think to check is to make sure your getting proper voltage out to your DMD.

#29 9 years ago

Im good with computers and electronics but not ones from like 1991, start getting into fuses and my brain gets fuzzy but i do want to make sure power supply is kicking out what it should

2 years later
#30 6 years ago

Trying to find the colour name used on tmnt cabinet to match the original green paint work. Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-questions-leds-and-dmd-mostly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.