(Topic ID: 271489)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Club(Stern 2020): Cowabunga! It’s Pizza Time!

By Tuxedomask23

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 5,658 posts
  • 457 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Taygeta
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Which model are you going to purchase”

• Pro 165 votes
    46%
  • Premium 89 votes
    25%
  • LE 103 votes
    29%

(357 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,271 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 10.59.42 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 10.59.17 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 10.59.06 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 10.58.56 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 10.58.33 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 10.58.43 AM (resized).png
B87823B7-200E-4BBA-BF22-4591F5D165EC (resized).jpeg
9C788E91-CBF9-4AB9-8278-EC24B7837A57 (resized).jpeg
15BCA070-B22A-451E-B63A-0A0AEFA8B9F3 (resized).jpeg
20210118_201938 (resized).jpg
20210112_105036 (resized).jpg
20210118_201916 (resized).jpg
1528C6D9-2FEF-45DF-BA37-17BB46217EAD (resized).jpeg
83401A46-E88E-4DC6-82D9-D1EF1EF10F4C (resized).jpeg
CFEB2BC7-02AF-4D8C-B476-E253E574BEDE (resized).jpeg
69541CC7-B76E-457D-B3D6-1CA71BB4A46A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1141 TMNT fresh out-of-the-box Issues and Fixes FAQ Posted by Stosel (6 months ago)

Post #1580 Lights rebooting on the back of the machine - FIX Posted by HookedonPinonics (5 months ago)

Post #2172 playfirlo colour differences Posted by Phatchit (5 months ago)

Post #2390 Left Outlane Fix Posted by NoQuarters (5 months ago)

Post #2457 DIY Krang Mod Instructions Posted by ABE_FLIPS (5 months ago)

Post #4037 Glider Servo DIY replacement Posted by PinHead50 (3 months ago)

Post #4120 Link to Amazon product page for replacement servo for glider Posted by PinHead50 (3 months ago)

Post #4327 Sloppy soldering at factory causing overvoltage error - fix Posted by Blackzarak (89 days ago)

Post #4374 Replacing bad glider servo with amazon better one Posted by arcadenerd925 (85 days ago)

Post #4698 Center Ramp non-registering opto fix Posted by spidey (73 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider retrogamerjp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 7 months ago

Premium for me... between now and then I have to decide if I sell BKSOR or Elvira to make room for TMNT... UGH.

#60 7 months ago

Excited for everyone who is getting this as their first New In Box pin... its great to find deals on used pins but there is really nothing like opening up that brand new box and setting everything up for the first time. However, be warned... this may be you first but it wont be your last...

1 week later
#512 6 months ago
Quoted from RikeIsland:

Just want to let everyone know that I spoke with Stern personally and I convinced them to run the TMNT premiums next. So those who are waiting on your Pro sorry. Lol.

download (resized).jpg
#667 6 months ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Maybe they have multiple lines at the factory?

When at full capacity, I believe they have 4 lines running consecutively. We know with COVID measures in place that they are not at full capacity but whether that means one line, two lines, etc. I don't know. How ever many lines they are running, I'd be surprised is the entire factory is working on TMNT as they still have orders on other active titles that they need to fulfill...

So here I sit, desperately awaiting delivery of my premium.

#750 6 months ago
Quoted from jonebone:

First pin for me and its sweet! 252 of 500. I'm a pin novice so I don't know what the hell I'm doing but playing a couple games was a blast.
My 5 year old played 2 games that lasted about 30 second each, guess I'm upping the play count![quoted image]

Nice TMNT (arcade) combo cabinet!

1 month later
#2330 5 months ago
Quoted from mahony:

I set the game up last night and I'm loving it. A pinball buddy stopped by to play and really enjoyed the game as well. There is a washer under my star post with no sign of pooling. I'm unable to tell if the artwork is grainy from my normal playing position. I look at it up close and it looks good to me. Only minor complaint I have is the lockdown bar feels a bit long on it. It fits snug on the left side, but extends past the machine by a quarter of an inch on the right side leaving a small gap. When I ordered the machine I tried several dealers to see who could give me the quickest delivery. I ended up going with Classic Game Rooms out of Georgia. In July I was told it would ship between August 3rd and Aug 7th. It shipped to me on August 3rd. My major concern was damage during shipping coming from GA to California. To my surprise the box had extra cardboard added to protect the original box and cardboard corner supports added to all 4 corners. I've never purchased a NIB before so I'm unable to compare distributors. Jason answered all of my emails quickly, set the proper expectation on when it would be shipped, and then sent tracking info the day it shipped.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats on the game. Jason @ Classic Game Rooms is a great guy. I've bought several pins from him.

#2515 5 months ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

added a slightly bigger rubber to the post on left outlane. Hoping that evens out the drains a bit. Even before that my GC is 45m with Raph but those types of games are very few are far between!
Played a couple games with that added rubber and seems to be a bit better.

I dont have my TMNT yet but it seems like the left outline might be a candidate for a Siamese post... I know a lot of folks use the same on Star Wars left outlane: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-17492C

#2604 5 months ago
Quoted from poweruser86:

Well, I got my Premium yesterday, build date of 8/12/20 on the back of the cab. I'll check the playfield date later today now that I know where to find it.
Sad to say my art is probably as bad or worse than most of the pics here. The communicator is especially terrible around the Team Up lights. Looks like I lost the lottery unfortunately.

Man, so sorry to hear this... was really hoping at least the premiums were able to doge this but sounds like it a gamble no mater what trim level you get.

Has anyone with a bad play-field actually got an official response back from Stern on the reasoning?

#2606 5 months ago
Quoted from djWHEAT:

Can someone point me to where you are getting your Shooter Lane Protectors? I know Pinball Universe has some but I'm not sure I want to order from the UK and wait (I'm in the US). I've definitely noticed a little wear in the lane and want to try to get a jump on this.

I think Mezel Modsis a US reseller for Pinball Universe... Cliffys also makes shooter lane protection for TMNT.

#2691 5 months ago

My premium just arrived... I'm so buried with deadlines today the best I could do was slide my phone in the box / up against the glass and take a pic. At first glance it appears I may have been one of the lucky ones with playfield print quality. It could still be a bit grainy but I don't see any streaks. I'll be able to set it up tonight and can report back with build details.

IMG_8799 (resized).jpg

#2718 5 months ago

I got lucky, the playfield on my premium is good. August 14th build date. Playfield date is July 30. Has art under starpost with washer. No pooling that I can see. Now its time to put on the playfield protector.

#2719 5 months ago

I switched out the red t-molding on my Premium to green. I used this: https://www.t-molding.com/3-4in-bright-green-t-molding.html - 20' is enough to do both sides and gives enough left over to re-do one side if you mess up.

I did keep the original red molding, lays nicely in the bottom of the cab.
IMG_8812 (resized).jpgIMG_8814 (resized).jpg

#2750 5 months ago

QUESTION: Where in the diagnostics menu is the ability to test the Pizza spin motor? Figured it would be in the game specific diagnostics but all I see is the Glider / Diverter test.

#2757 5 months ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

I've done it before. It's actually under the coil test. You have to close the coin door and press start to test it. It will not spin continuously though, only for about a second. I think it's better to test just by playing the game.

Interesting, I wasn't seeing it under the coil test... you can test the spinner magnet from coil test menu but didn't see the motor test. I know TRON has it in the diagnostics menu where you could test without having to play game.

#2807 5 months ago

I've done quite a few playfield protector installs in recent years but TMNT might be the most involved. Not in terms of complexity, just a ton of stuff to take off.

IMG_8899 (resized).jpg

IMG_8900 (resized).jpg
#2810 5 months ago
Quoted from durgee7:

I spent several hours installing my protector. It took me even longer because I was adding mylar and washers while fixing the lair guide. It took me a little less time to add a protector to Judge Dredd. TMNT has lots of stuff to remove from playfield. I think there were around 9 connectors underneath the playfield and 4 at back of playfield that needed to be unplugged.

You are absolutely correct. I know I was in for it when I started unplugging ALL the pass through connectors underneath...

#2828 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinballnewb01:

Playfield protectors are the worst thing that happened to this hobby.
We bought a GB Pro with a protector installed.
I took it off after a few 100 plays.
The feeling is way better without one.
For home use, put a protector in the shooter lane and just play the machine.

I would have to respectfully disagree with that statement...

I think they are a smart investment if you prefer your games to stay like new and especially in the case of TMNT (you can definitely tell the clear coat on this one is thinner then previous games)... I know the people I have sold my games to appreciate the fact that if for any reason they decide to take the protector off, they have a brand new playfield waiting for them underneath.

The majority of the people cannot tell the difference between playing on a brand new, bare playfield and one with a protector on it (if there is even a difference)... but after thousands of games, it will still look and play like new.

So sure, they may not be for everyone but I don't think they deserve the title of worst thing that has happened to the hobby. No reason to try scare away those who want to preserve there machines. I for one am glad the option is out there.

#2830 5 months ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Funny thing is, I took off a playfield protector from Dialed In that was installed from the factory, and it still had some pretty heavy amount of dimpling on it. It also played, in my opinion, terribly. To top it off, it was a hazy scratched mess, and this was only with a couple hundred plays. I couldn't rip it off fast enough.

Interesting, I’ve never experienced this with any of the protectors I’ve installed. I’ve had them on no less than 12 different machines.

Oh well, again... it may not be for everyone but I’ve always been extremely happy with them.

Back to TMNT conversation!

1 week later
#3132 4 months ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Is the premium worth the extra cheddar on this title? Need reliability for location play

If the goal is location play, I would say the Pro has more than enough to offer.

#3229 4 months ago
Quoted from kh39540:

I'll try to go up to go down some this weekend. See what it does. This is where its at now. [quoted image]

Get yourself the pinguy app for leveling the machine ... its a must have.

1 week later
#3526 4 months ago

Not sure how I managed to do this... it was during a multi-ball but I still don't know how it happened. I'm guessing they exited the side of the metal ramp as if I had short plunged it but what are the odds.

IMG_9192 (resized).jpgIMG_9193 (resized).jpg

#3546 4 months ago
Quoted from Blacksnow:

It was shipped taped to flat cardboard. Once I removed the tape I placed it on a flat surface and it had a slight overall curl. Not a ton though. I thought it may settle or flatten over time. I’ve never installed one before and thought it may be a normal occurrence? Once installed it got worse and worse. It was not caught or snagged on anything. It was just curling really bad. Not sure if it was just taped flat for shipping but still had the rolled memory?? Definitely not a fan of it at all. I will chalk it up to a learning experience. I cut it out of the machine and just waxed it. Plays like a dream now. Below is what it looked like once I cut it out.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Goodness, I have never seen one do that, especially if it was shipped FLAT. Not sure where Cointaker gets their protectors from but I wonder if it spent most of it's life rolled up prior to shipping, then naturally returned to it curled state after installing. I suppose if one spent more time rolled than flat and was subject to a bit of heat, it's new normal could be altered.

Good call on just cutting it out and saving from having to disassemble. Very sorry the hear you had a bad experience, hopefully you are enjoying the pin regardless.

2 weeks later
#3883 3 months ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I swear PinMonk has a deal with Stern where they only use crappy white LEDs because these games look SO MUCH BETTER with the mod. [quoted image][quoted image]

Agreed, Pinmonk is a must have! (and not just on TMNT)

#3959 3 months ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Mezel mods has an awesome glider. I installed it on my Pro. Must have as are the mutagen jars!

Yes, mutagen jar is a must!

1 week later
#4134 3 months ago

FYI - Looks like this ebay seller has some TMNT Premium Translites available if anyone wanted to change up.

ebay.com link » Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pro Stern Pinball Game Translite Sign New 26x16

#4164 3 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Get the spare playfield. Protect what isn't damaged on what you have and enjoy it. Sterns are not really that hard to swap playfields compared to nightmares like Star Trek:TNG, Indy:TPA, Twilight Zone or any JJP game. So that option is open as long as you have a spare PF.

Agreed - as long as you have a brand new playfield in waiting, play the hell out of the one you currently have, stress free.

#4191 3 months ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Ugh, left side drain.. I have to read up in the thread, but what are people doing for that? some kind of oblong post? anything to help bounce back off the rail?
I'd also like to see an optional ball save timer in the settings at the start of the episodes (like Dwight did on Ghostbusters) unless that is in there and I totally missed it.

I installed the Siamese post from Marco and it did the job on balancing the left drain

Post: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-17492C
Rubber: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-0012B

#4210 3 months ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Someone requested a photo of how much I dremmelled the Siamese post. As you can see I went to town on the upper right corner. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Strange - I did not have to Dremel my Siamese post at all and I don't have any interference with the LAIR exit. Perhaps there is a slight difference on premium vs. Pro(?)

#4212 3 months ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Want to get a Turtles for my next NIB. Are they still shipping with printed playfield art issues? Leaning towards the pro in this one. What do you guys or gals think who own either the pro or the premium?
For me Black Knight premium was a must and my first NIB Stern purchase. Have Monster Bash SE also and I think TMNT would be a great addition.
Played a LE Turtles and thought it was really fun. I am not a big Turtles fan since I was born in 71, but the wife and kids love them. Thanks for any feedback.

I am typically a premium guy and went with TMNT Premium, but this certainly seems to be a title where there is a ton of offerings in pro trim as well. Some may argue that the premiums have more problems with Glider and Van Ball Lock options but I am happy to report I have not had any of those issues.

I was lucky and did not have any issues with playfield quality but I haven't read anything recent to know if that is now a thing of the past.

In either trim the game is super fun and has become my favorite pin out of all titles I have owned thus far.

1 week later
#4390 85 days ago

Still happy to report, ZERO issues with my premium and still one of my favorite games of all time.

#4441 83 days ago
Quoted from acons017:

Looking for some help. Im running into an issue with auto-eject.
After the ball save ends during a multiball , the game attempts to fill the turtle van by auto-ejecting balls. They’re only making it halfway up the ramp and fall back in play. It makes the multiball last forever because the van never gets filled (unless I hit the right ramp).
Does anyone know a fix for this? My auto eject setting is set to max.

Double check that the rollover switch on the shooter lane ramp isn't popped out of place and sticking up too far. When I had my ramp out during my Turtle Select Bracket Install, somehow the rollover switch popped out and was fully on top of the ramp (normally there is a bend in the end of the wire that is under the ramp as a stopper)

When this was the case it was getting the same behavior as you were. even with turning up the plunge power the balls were not reliably making it up the ramp. Once I popped it back into place, problem solved and I was able to put auto plunge power back to normal.

#4451 82 days ago
Quoted from acons017:

Wow! I have the Turtle Select as well! That must be it!
New to pinball so I’m not familiar with all the parts. What’s a rollover switch lol
Mind snapping a photo?

Sure, here is is in its correct state. what had happened on mine is the hard wire, which is supposed to go down as the ball rolls over it, was actually popped up further and stuck so the ball never rolled over it but rather pushed it to the side while it muscled its way past, witch greatly reduced the velocity. Even with ramping up the power I still had so many fall short of making it to the van.
IMG_9744 (resized).jpgIMG_9745 (resized).jpg

#4456 82 days ago
Quoted from Xaqery:

1 - This is true. It should be soonish(tm). But, please remember that plans often change, for lots of reasons.
2 - We found an issue in the software. If your game has a lost ball the van may count the balls wrong.
I think if you have seen this issue its possible that your van opto is intermittent. It may work in test but maybe not while the van diverter is energized because it moves or something. This part I don't know. The code coming soonish(tm) should help with these issues.
3 - I strongly believe that V1.22 did not affect #2. It was in there the whole time. I think it took time/plays for the opto to move a bit or something.
4 - I cant believe that you guys do not think this game should be top 10!? : ---- )

This game is definitely my number one followed by BM66 and StarWars

1 week later
#4723 72 days ago
Quoted from acons017:

Hey guys,
Posted this issue before and got some tips, but I’m still running into the same issue. Both multiballs seem to run long because the auto launcher is not able to feed to turtle van. Balls intended to feed the turtle van during multiball launch halfway up the ramp and come back into play instead. This happens time to time at the start of a ball too but much more frequent during multiballs.
Few things I’ve tried:
1. Checked the autokicker to ensure that it doesn’t snag on anything
2. Tightened the screws of the auto kicker (they were already very tight)
3. Made sure the roll over switch went down when a ball rolled over it.
4. Waxed the wood at the launcher and also waxed the metal/plastic ramp
5. Tried increasing/decreasing the strength of the auto launcher - still happens
I did replace the launcher knob/rod and installed PinMonk’s turtle select bracket. Only mods I’ve made on that side of the machine.
Any additional help would be great. I want to enjoy the game but this so unbalanced it’s taking away from my enjoyment. Thanks in advance.

I would remove the turtle select bracket all together so you can have a clean, unobstructed view of the ramp and see of the balls still have the same issue. Perhaps there is some way you reassembled the Turtle Select Bracket and associated parts that's creating friction for the ball as it passes underneath. If it works with the bracket removed, that should help you identify the issue when you reassemble.

#4812 69 days ago

You will get mixed responses on the play field protectors. Not everyone is a fan.

I have one in my TMNT and have had one one every machine I have ever owned, love them and never had an issue. I like the fact that I can play the hell out of any game and still have a brand new play files underneath.

I have also never noticed any difference in play with one on, other than it plays like a brand new, freshly polished playfield every time.

Either way, welcome to the club and Enjoy!

2 weeks later
#5015 53 days ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

I got a TMNT Pro on Friday and it came with green T moulding already. Did they not before?

The Pro Model has always had Green T Molding but Premium comes with Red. Some Premium owners have swapped the Red for the more appropriate green.

1 week later
#5114 44 days ago

I find the PinGuy app to be the best. Saves you from having to get up and down a million times to level a machine. It’s a must have

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Oceanside, CA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 7,699.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dunedin, FL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider retrogamerjp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside