(Topic ID: 271489)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Club(Stern 2020): Cowabunga! It’s Pizza Time!

By Tuxedomask23

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,062 posts
  • 829 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 minutes ago by cabal
  • Topic is favorited by 335 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Which model are you going to purchase”

• Pro 285 votes
    50%
  • Premium 167 votes
    29%
  • LE 120 votes
    21%

(572 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240423-005247 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240423-005259 (resized).png
20240415_084026 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image.png
PXL_20240413_183258513.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_3649 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3648 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5713 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5712 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124621 (resized).jpg
SystemJPinball.ca_1_TMNT-MenuCard-PremLE-Mean1.1_example-3 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1141 TMNT fresh out-of-the-box Issues and Fixes FAQ Posted by Stosel (3 years ago)

Post #1580 Lights rebooting on the back of the machine - FIX Posted by HookedonPinonics (3 years ago)

Post #2172 playfirlo colour differences Posted by Phatchit (3 years ago)

Post #2390 Left Outlane Fix Posted by NoQuarters (3 years ago)

Post #2457 DIY Krang Mod Instructions Posted by ABE_FLIPS (3 years ago)

Post #4037 Glider Servo DIY replacement Posted by PinHead50 (3 years ago)

Post #4120 Link to Amazon product page for replacement servo for glider Posted by PinHead50 (3 years ago)

Post #4327 Sloppy soldering at factory causing overvoltage error - fix Posted by Blackzarak (3 years ago)

Post #4374 Replacing bad glider servo with amazon better one Posted by arcadenerd925 (3 years ago)

Post #4698 Center Ramp non-registering opto fix Posted by spidey (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ctl723.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1500 3 years ago

Just unboxed my LE. These playfields do still seem to be susceptible to bubbling/pooling where the apron + guides touch down. I'm going through adding some felt washers like I did on Jurassic Park before it potentially gets worse and chips. Also, the left outlane post was clearly designed for a small post. They pulled back the artwork for that but later changed it to a star post which is starting to pool a bit. Hopefully shouldn't be too bad since it's rarely hit and doesn't have a ring applying diagonal pressure to it. Either way, I think it's worth protecting these spots early if you can.

IMG_20200728_112327 (resized).jpgIMG_20200728_112327 (resized).jpgIMG_20200728_112153 (resized).jpgIMG_20200728_112153 (resized).jpg
#1518 3 years ago

I really don't think my game is the only one pooling around the apron/guides/post, so I'd encourage others to check. This just seems to be the same adhesion issue we've been seeing for awhile now. Pulling back the artwork definitely helped, but it didn't actually address the root cause.

I did gently pull the post up (pic attached) and am planning to flatten the ripple before reinstalling. It's definitely clear that the move to a star post was a late stage change, as it also sits on top of the lane guide bracket (which I think even makes it worse cutting into the field since it's torqued down at an angle). I might actually just install the narrower post which appears to be originally intended even though I realize that opens up the outlane a bit. Guess I'll just have to play better!

As far as the apron goes, the solution I've been using for awhile is just putting a black 7/16 OD titan ring on each of the threaded posts and it does a great job of lifting the apron just enough to no longer contact the field. They fit perfectly in the recessed spots on the playfield. If anyone from Stern is reading, please just do this at the factory. It costs basically nothing and will stop the apron from damaging the playfield.

I'm still excited about the game, but between this and the diverter issue it's going to be a few days before I'm able to play it. I'm just really frustrated with Stern's continued lack of any apparent quality control here.

IMG_20200728_150014 (resized).jpgIMG_20200728_150014 (resized).jpg
#1532 3 years ago

I stand corrected- looks like they did do something there to raise that post up. Wonder if mine was just left out, or if it was a later stage change.

Quoted from Happy81724:

Mine looks good and they put a washer under it. Not sure if others have washers. The Star post is by the left out lane. I don’t see any others posts to really check
[quoted image][quoted image]

#1546 3 years ago

It's hard to tell from the picture. Is it a big washer that goes to the edges of the post, or a small one that leaves a "lip" overhang around the post edges? For example could you slide a fingernail underneath the post edge?

Quoted from Happy81724:

Yeah, or they just missed it. Not sure how it all works. I have 308 but build date July 2

#1629 3 years ago

Since I already needed to take the ramps off to fix the diverter (side note: that service bulletin is missing some steps!), I thought I'd go a bit further to remove ball guides, flatten the ink, and put some fiber washers on the guides. Not for the faint of heart, but I do enjoy tearing into these games.

Here's what the ball guide in the back looks like. Not sure if it would eventually chip, but it certainly isn't pretty. I'd definitely recommend keeping an eye on these spots where the guides touch down. This is pretty much exactly what my JP looked like as well, and the steps I took to protect that one are holding up well ~1000 games in.

IMG_20200729_154457 (resized).jpgIMG_20200729_154457 (resized).jpgIMG_20200729_154529 (resized).jpgIMG_20200729_154529 (resized).jpg
#1630 3 years ago

Also, those back hex posts weren't screwed in all the way. Both had about 1/8" of thread showing and were a bit wobbly.

#1840 3 years ago

I'm going through swapping out the stock rubbers for Titan, and noticed something a bit odd. After looking at a few pictures in this thread, it looks like some games are built one way and others differently. Trying to figure out which is best/correct. Mine is an LE built on June 29th.

My game has a support bracket right under the turtle van door, and a different post there that it attaches to. Looks a bit like an afterthought (with the plastic resting partially on top of the screw head), and is different from the original press pictures. At first, I thought this just might be a Prem/LE thing to support that plastic during multiball. However, there seem to be other LE games that don't have that support bracket and use the original metal mini post. Perhaps it's just there as extra impact protection on that leading edge, like the raptor pit on JP?

It certainly would look better without it there. Any thoughts on how critical it is and whether or not the change is an addition or deletion?

tmnt_support (resized).jpgtmnt_support (resized).jpg

#1843 3 years ago

While I appreciate everyone rushing to identify potential flaws, the insert is fine. It's just a reflection. This area is covered by the factory mylar, so that might be what you're seeing.

I'm plenty picky about playfield issues (and there are still a ton of them with bubbling at the ball guides and that star post up front), but the inserts and are all great.

IMG_20200804_104303 (resized).jpgIMG_20200804_104303 (resized).jpg
#1882 3 years ago

Could you clarify what you mean by adjusting the ramp for the upper flipper feed? I understand the push back and to the left, but not clear what you're showing with the other red circle there (is it just highlighting adding a washer?).

Also, thanks for the tip on ball drop mylar. I used to apply it to every game but forgot to even check since Stern had been doing it from the factory. I also added some to the right side drop.

#1890 3 years ago

I use #8 fiber washers and they work great.

#1964 3 years ago

It's interesting because it looks like they've gone back and forth on this. The original press photos have the large keepout with a small post, then the initial pro + LE have small keepout with a large post (causing the issues). I imagine there was a healthy internal debate about what % of left side drains was acceptable

Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Definitely changed the playfield so there is no art under that post. You think they would have learned their lesson when they changed the art on JP.
There is no plastic washer under there.

#2133 3 years ago

I think all of these inkjet playfields are pretty grainy. Any chance we're just seeing variation based on camera quality? Has anyone seen a "good one" and a "bad one" side by side?

Here's mine- definitely "grainy", but doesn't seem too bad to me all things considered.

IMG_20200809_133358 (resized).jpgIMG_20200809_133358 (resized).jpgIMG_20200809_132737 (resized).jpgIMG_20200809_132737 (resized).jpgIMG_20200809_133409 (resized).jpgIMG_20200809_133409 (resized).jpg
#2159 3 years ago

Any pictures of the playfields showing the printing differences? Would also be interested to know- do any of them have the larger art keepout around the left side star post? Some comments earlier on the thread implied that the graininess may have been introduced when the art change was made.

Quoted from Phatchit:

Just picked up 3 pros for a client and set them up to make sure they all play great out of box . I did go and look at the playfields . 1 looks great and the other 2 are grainy . The other thing I noticed was that one of them has a lighter shade of green on the tmolding . I will say this is a fun game . Still need to get some time on it to get it down , but think it will turn out to be a good game .
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#2186 3 years ago

Wow, that's pretty significant of a difference. I cropped and rotated two of them in order to have a better side by side comparison. The Stern "QA" department continues to impress me every day.

Quoted from Phatchit:

Ok you guys were right , the tmolding was missing the plastic , didn’t even think of looking at that . Here is pictures of all
3 playfields . The one that looks the best has the art under the star post .
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

tmnt_good (resized).jpgtmnt_good (resized).jpgtmnt_bad (resized).jpgtmnt_bad (resized).jpg
#2197 3 years ago

What's the issue with the pizza motors? Just that they're loud?

Quoted from pinghetto:

That's the thing that sucks. It's luck of the draw on what playfield you get. Perfect, pooly, or grainy... Or a combination...
At least if they were all just grainy.. well, then, it is what it is... That's the game.
But, this way will definitely effect resale for some folks machines down the road when the hype train has left the station.
I really had my heart set on picking up a premium, but I just don't have the balls to roll the dice. Too many unknowns right now with the pizza motors, servos, and playfields.
It's past time to get your shit together Stern. Time to beta test these things again.
From a very loyal customer.

#2210 3 years ago

The lair ball guide is actually digging in a bit in your pic, and you may want to get a washer under there before it chips. I'd definitely recommend also bending it a bit to follow the playfield outline if you take it out, to reduce the impacts there (and make the shot a bit easier).

Quoted from billrz:

LE build date July 16 check in. 476 plays, no grainy art, diverter works perfectly, only small scratch on ramp (refer to pics) looks like from testing. Art is under star post with washer. Pizza motor started making noise after about 100 plays,turned it off for a week or so , turned it back on the day new code came out, didn’t make noise for many many games but has started grinding off n on again, but not that often (Makes no sense). Also I notice the ball is hitting the metal above the lair targets, it’s actually denting it (pics) and probably hurting my balls (hehe;)any remedies (I think I saw something way back in this thread) ? . This game is great, it’s super unfortunate some people are are having bigger problems. I hope it’s not the majority and highly doubt it is. Hopefully stern corrects the issues people are having,otherwise have fun playing !! I’m loving this game!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

tmnt_guide (resized).jpgtmnt_guide (resized).jpg
#2212 3 years ago

That would be astoundingly disappointing, and also not the slightest bit surprising.

Quoted from cooked71:

Complete speculation here.....original run pfs were done on normal print settings which takes longer because it uses higher print density but aren’t grainy.
Once they discovered the clearcoat issues under the posts, they urgently changed the art around the posts, and had to rush printing the new pf’s so as not to hold up the production line. Rushing the pf’s means grainy art.

#2216 3 years ago

If you don't mind taking it apart again- the best place to put the washers is on the three posts. That will raise the whole guide up so it no longer cuts into the playfield.

Quoted from billrz:

Good call, can’t really put a washer under it, but I took it off, bent it to align with playfield, put some Mylar down over the pooling spot. Hopefully that stops it from chipping.
[quoted image]

1 week later
#2501 3 years ago

I think this is a "good" one. It's an LE with the art still under the post. Still grainy due to inkjet, but seems to have higher resolution and none of the banding that some do.

Quoted from jfrazie:

Anyone have closeups of the same areas they can post from a “good playfield”?

tmnt_raph (resized).jpgtmnt_raph (resized).jpgtmnt_baxt (resized).jpgtmnt_baxt (resized).jpg

tmnt_slash (resized).jpgtmnt_slash (resized).jpg
#2546 3 years ago

Can you post more closeup pictures of the premium playfield? It would be great to see how they've fixed it.

Quoted from Mtg381:I had no idea that this had been an issue, but it looks like they got it figured out!

#2709 3 years ago

Could someone please check something for me? I took a lot of parts off to put protective washers under the ball guides, and I have a slight conundrum putting things back together. Upper left side under the orange flasher, there are three standoffs. Two taller, one shorter. I took a picture in disassembly, but it just seems "not right" to me. Is it correct that the short one is front right, which would put that plastic at a pretty steep angle to the front (I imagine to prevent ball hangups).The weird part is that the front left standup doesn't actually connect to anything, it just pushes up on the underside of the plastic. Is this right?

IMG_20200728_135036 (resized).jpgIMG_20200728_135036 (resized).jpg
#2710 3 years ago
Quoted from ctl723:

Could someone please check something for me? I took a lot of parts off to put protective washers under the ball guides, and I have a slight conundrum putting things back together. Upper left side under the orange flasher, there are three standoffs. Two taller (3/4"), one shorter (5/8"). I took a picture in disassembly, but it just seems "not right" to me. Is it correct that the short one is front right, which would put that plastic at a pretty steep angle to the front (I imagine to prevent ball hangups).The weird part is that the front left standup doesn't actually connect to anything, it just pushes up on the underside of the plastic. Is this right?
[quoted image]

#2713 3 years ago

For the three standoffs that support the clear glider base? I have the same there.

But for this area on the left side, you have 3x 3/4"?

Quoted from nitroman28:

Just looking at mine the bottom are all the same size. They 3 top for the clear plastic are 7/8.

#2714 3 years ago

Ah, I think I see what you mean- looks like on the pro there is another clear piece on top there due to the different wireform shape. In fact, looks like that's what the extra unused standoff is for. It appears they had a ton of trouble during development with hangups here, and I think they did intentionally move to a shorter standoff in the front to angle the plastic on the prem/LE. If you look at their press photos, that front screw is a flathead. Not sure why they didn't just carry that forward to production.

#2988 3 years ago

Totally normal on the cabinet these days. Just sloppy assembly vs. actually splitting. You can see they put filler in the outside seams now to close the gaps, and that appears to be intact.

#3183 3 years ago

Was it like that out of the box? How many plays are on it?

Mine was definitely digging in, but hadn't yet "pushed" the printing out from under it. I flatted the spots and put some fiber washers in.

Quoted from oldmanpinball:

what the hell stern. the game is brand new. going to have to do the washer trick.
wondering how long the playfield will hold up over the years??
[quoted image]

IMG_20200803_184635 (resized).jpgIMG_20200803_184635 (resized).jpgIMG_20200803_184638 (resized).jpgIMG_20200803_184638 (resized).jpg
#3187 3 years ago

That certainly looks better than any time I've ever tried to glue a piece back on. For future reference, what type of glue did you use?

Quoted from Happy81724:

Yeah, luckily I found the chip and glued it back. Not perfect but much better. Added clear too
[quoted image]

#3364 3 years ago

Can someone please check something for me? I just finished putting things back together, and have one extra washer. The way I had things grouped, it looks like it should have come from right around this spot. Does the post on the left have a washer somewhere in the stack with the spacer?

IMG_20200728_171204 (resized).jpgIMG_20200728_171204 (resized).jpg
#3517 3 years ago

Could someone please clarify the expected behavior of the top orbit up-post? For awhile I thought it was just rejecting my shot up the left orbit (above flipper), but I think I can hear it intentionally triggering the post. Is that expected behavior to then send the ball back down to the upper flipper? What's the rule for when it triggers/doesn't on those orbit shots?

#3518 3 years ago

What do you have flipper strength set at? I found the sweet spot on mine to be around 220 (~6.7 deg pitch). It's certainly playing a ton better after doing that, but I'm still having a really hard time hitting the right ramp.

Quoted from zeldarioid:

Thus far, I don’t seem to be able to backhand the left ramp on my game, even setting the pitch below 6.5, at least not from a cradle position :/ Right ramp is able to be backhanded, though. Maybe I need to increase the flipper strength or something. Would LOVE to be able to backhand that ramp. Would also love to reliably get into the NPP from the left flipper, as that is the flipper that the game puts the ball on 90% of the time, and post passes don’t seem to be a thing on this table.

#3565 3 years ago

Definitely sad to see. I've just gotten into the habit of fully disassembling the top side of these games and putting a bunch of fiber washers in before playing. I did so on both JP and TMNT.

Sure, it's a huge pain- but I do enjoy the tinkering and it gives me a good chance to really learn about how they're put together and make a lot of adjustments in the process. I use that as an opportunity to adjust the placement of a number of ballguides so that everything feeds cleanly, better align some of the posts, switch everything over to Titan rings, and clean the ramps/plastics up (they often have a lot of manufacturing residue on them- especially black gunk on the metal ramps from what looks like laser cutting through protective film). On the positive side, I feel like once I've done this the games play really well and stay clean for a really long time.

The other super obnoxious thing I do is trim the "nubs" on the edges of the plastics as I'm reassembling, since I get annoyed when microfiber towels tend to catch + snag on them. But that's probably just me.

Quoted from gumnut01:

I own deadpool. And I know the Katana ball guide needs a washer underneath to protect the playfield from chipping.
As per advice with turtles from people like prodoshi to protect the lair ball guide before it chips. I did that. Tick. The things we have to do when buying a stern game because they can’t put a rubber washer under a ball guide to stop the playfield from chipping.
But fuck me I’m a stupid owner for not scouring the other spots to check if they are ok. How negligent of me.
I didn’t take all the bits off to protect under the ball guide leading to the pizza parlour.
And I now have a nice big chip.
Thanks Stern. I thought you had learnt from Deadpool.
Thanks to me, because I hadn’t.
Are we meant to just rollover, take our playfields apart As soon as we get a new pin and do what Stern can’t be bothered to do? Or if we miss a bit, are we meant to repair as best we can and then put a washer underneath?
I just don’t understand, they know ball guides attached like this are going to destroy the playfield. Do they not care??
[quoted image][quoted image]

jple_teardown (resized).jpgjple_teardown (resized).jpgtmntle_teardown (resized).jpgtmntle_teardown (resized).jpg

1 week later
#3803 3 years ago

For what it's worth, I'm seeing 4+ balls lock in the van even still on 1.21. I'm not even sure how many balls it's supposed to be anymore, as I definitely had a turtle power 6-ball going today. But it didn't really bother me- it was a blast to play.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it's just related to the balls getting magnetized over time.

How does the van actually sense how many balls are loaded up? Is there a single opto that is supposed to only see one at the third position? I don't recall enough wires coming out of there to sense each one individually.

Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I admire your faith in Stern. Maybe I have lost my lustre for the company over the years. I know plenty of people that have reported the issue to Stern.
Code V1.22 has firmware undates and the firmware updates could be causing issues with the code. I am not a software person but worked out a few things when I tried to go backwards with the code. I successfully loaded V1.21 back in the machine via usb. Machine would not start back up saying coin door was open. (Our coin door switch is de activated and wires are clamped together). Leaving the game sit for 10 minutes, the game would start back up. I tried this a few times by turning the game on and off. Machine did exactly the same thing every time. The old firmware may not be in V1.21 so going backwards is not a good idea I think. Burning a new SD card may work, but I am unwilling to try it, Stern have not responded to any of my requests since Chaz (RIP). Maybe some of the software gurus can help us out and let us know how to successfully go backwards with the code.

1 month later
#4340 3 years ago

You might want to try the Titan slim post rubbers instead. I think those look like the standard ones, and I've found that they tend to close off the shots a bit too much. Also, they're tapered and will help with airballs (like the original Stern design).

Although, I've also had a lot of issues with the slim posts getting chewed up quickly where they take a lot of direct hits, so this style may last a lot longer.

Quoted from DaddyManD:

Each Turtle gets their own Titan post rubber in our machine!
Mezel mods glider and mutagen canister are a must!
Also switched to Titan balls and no magnetic ball/lock issues so far.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 16.00
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grindstone, PA
$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 7,999.00
$ 22.00
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ctl723.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-club2020-cowabunga-its-pizza-time?tu=ctl723 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.