(Topic ID: 271489)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Club(Stern 2020): Cowabunga! It’s Pizza Time!

By Tuxedomask23

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,044 posts
  • 828 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 33 hours ago by Afty86
  • Topic is favorited by 335 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Which model are you going to purchase”

• Pro 285 votes
    50%
  • Premium 166 votes
    29%
  • LE 120 votes
    21%

(571 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_084026 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image.png
PXL_20240413_183258513.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_3649 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3648 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5713 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5712 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124621 (resized).jpg
SystemJPinball.ca_1_TMNT-MenuCard-PremLE-Mean1.1_example-3 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1141 TMNT fresh out-of-the-box Issues and Fixes FAQ Posted by Stosel (3 years ago)

Post #1580 Lights rebooting on the back of the machine - FIX Posted by HookedonPinonics (3 years ago)

Post #2172 playfirlo colour differences Posted by Phatchit (3 years ago)

Post #2390 Left Outlane Fix Posted by NoQuarters (3 years ago)

Post #2457 DIY Krang Mod Instructions Posted by ABE_FLIPS (3 years ago)

Post #4037 Glider Servo DIY replacement Posted by PinHead50 (3 years ago)

Post #4120 Link to Amazon product page for replacement servo for glider Posted by PinHead50 (3 years ago)

Post #4327 Sloppy soldering at factory causing overvoltage error - fix Posted by Blackzarak (3 years ago)

Post #4374 Replacing bad glider servo with amazon better one Posted by arcadenerd925 (3 years ago)

Post #4698 Center Ramp non-registering opto fix Posted by spidey (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aniraf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1331 3 years ago

Checking in

C20B18DB-524F-4ADE-B215-583CC6B4C9AD (resized).jpegC20B18DB-524F-4ADE-B215-583CC6B4C9AD (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#1853 3 years ago

Can we all just agree this shot is impossible and the game is terrible because of it?

I’m kidding, but really. It is impossible right? The only way I can make the shot on my machine is to bank it off of the April target.

5A3A77F1-A69E-4F9C-B784-E1CD7E0D8A93 (resized).jpeg5A3A77F1-A69E-4F9C-B784-E1CD7E0D8A93 (resized).jpeg
#2093 3 years ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

Got my TMNT Pro today, was built Aug 4th. has the super awesome inkjet playfield....put in a ticket for a replacement. FML
[quoted image]

Are we sure they haven’t always looked like this? Not trying to cast doubt, but when I look at my other stern playfields they look really similar with a closeup. I am going to grab pictures of all of them for comparison.

1 month later
#3552 3 years ago

Is there one correct fix for the van diverter digging into the ramp? I’ve read a bunch of different stuff. I can’t tell if I am supposed to disassemble the whole game or put a pad on it…or both.

I am annoyed to find out mine is doing this :/.

#3554 3 years ago
Quoted from Blacksnow:

It was shipped taped to flat cardboard. Once I removed the tape I placed it on a flat surface and it had a slight overall curl. Not a ton though. I thought it may settle or flatten over time. I’ve never installed one before and thought it may be a normal occurrence? Once installed it got worse and worse. It was not caught or snagged on anything. It was just curling really bad. Not sure if it was just taped flat for shipping but still had the rolled memory?? Definitely not a fan of it at all. I will chalk it up to a learning experience. I cut it out of the machine and just waxed it. Plays like a dream now. Below is what it looked like once I cut it out.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I have done a lot of these and use them on a route…I’ve never seen anything like that! Like everyone said, for home use, you don’t really have to worry. Wonder if something happened in transit?

#3640 3 years ago

Could someone do me a huge favor and show me where the opto plugs for the van go? I had to take mine apart to fix the diverter and I cannot get that opto working again .

97CFDA31-45F8-4DF3-A641-6C096B35898E (resized).jpeg97CFDA31-45F8-4DF3-A641-6C096B35898E (resized).jpeg

#3641 3 years ago

You know what, never mind. I know I have them plugged into the right plugs, the opto just isn’t working. I did a continuity test from each of the 5 pins to the opto boards and that worked. I manually trigged the opto by grounding the yellow line on the 3 wire. However, I cannot get it to function normally . Is there something I am missing??

#3644 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Stern's opto wires can break inside the insulation and seem more prone to do this than JJP, etc. I've had to release them, wiggle them in opto test to verify and find the approx break location and then cut it back and re-solder to the board to get a good connection. Give that this is very new, you might just have an opto with a broken or intermittent almost-broken wire inside the insulation.
Did it ever work?

Yeah, it worked perfectly until I removed that ramp to fix the diverter. Here is what is tripping me up, I can tell where they must plug in based on the first image. However, when I meter the connections I get 3.4v on the ground line! I am completely confused since that is seems to be nothing more than a loop back to the other half of the opto switch.

If I understand these correctly you have 3 wires coming in. In this case a 4.5v red, 3.4v tan blue and ground black. The red and black are daisy chained from the 3 pin molex to a two pin molex. The three pin connects to the one opto, and the two pin the other. When the light is broken, the 3.4v is grounded and the switch triggers.

On this switch, I am reading 3.4 on the ground line at the three pin connector. So somehow even before getting to the opto switch I am getting some kind of power on the black line.

That seems completely impossible seeing as I did very little in terms of messing with wires. Just simple unplugging according to the Stern manual.

Am I correct on how these work? Also where they plug in (picture).

DB979CB2-A3E0-4E62-B18F-42916EB2A5F0 (resized).jpegDB979CB2-A3E0-4E62-B18F-42916EB2A5F0 (resized).jpeg
#3655 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, that's a weird one. Are you sure you didn't get something plugged in wrong?

Yeah…it took me half the day, but I found it. Honestly I can’t even believe I did, but I did. Basically what it comes down to is this tiny molex pin not being crimped correctly. I ended up running a lead from the ground strap to the pin and magically the switch started working again. I cut it off and put another pin on it and we’re all good. It is pretty impossible to see in there, but I think the primary lead does not have enough bare wire showing to make good contact.

Thank you for trying to help, this was an insane one. Maybe it was cut short to begin with and the simple motion of moving it retracted the wire into the sleeve. Who knows.

FA7822B2-2938-4804-B95E-2B7D452F716D (resized).jpegFA7822B2-2938-4804-B95E-2B7D452F716D (resized).jpeg
#3671 3 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFreak:

Yes...it is something new. However, it’s not happening in all of the games we’ve sold. So, there must have been a batch of balls that weren’t carbon core. We’ve had no reports from LE owners. So far only with Pro’s.

For the record I’ve been using the ninja chrome ball baron balls on my LE with no magnetism. I am actually surprised they have lasted this long and I have tested them weekly.

#3672 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Congrats to you for finding it! You're probably right that removing it disturbed it just enough that it wasn't making contact in the pin anymore. Back to enjoying the game!

That was hands down one of the hardest things I have solved in pinball. I appreciate the encouragement as you know how much of a pain something like that can be on a perfectly new game.

1 week later
#3880 3 years ago

I swear PinMonk has a deal with Stern where they only use crappy white LEDs because these games look SO MUCH BETTER with the mod.

30432229-7304-44F4-84B8-F0C22B364901 (resized).jpeg30432229-7304-44F4-84B8-F0C22B364901 (resized).jpeg6B3979E4-BDB8-480F-AA7D-243EFE49DA19 (resized).jpeg6B3979E4-BDB8-480F-AA7D-243EFE49DA19 (resized).jpeg
#3881 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I'm an LE buyer and I'm not annoyed. In fact I'm very happy!
Rob

I’m the same. The “LE” connotation is silly to me. I say just make a version called “complete” and throw all the upgrades in there. I think generating the artificial urgency around LE is a dated concept.

Show me the best you’ve got and I’ll consider that over the skews with less stuff. I don’t need the designer signature or Gary Stern autograph. Nice, but useless.

#3903 3 years ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Are you the one who always advertising those in the threads?
The lightshow on this game is already colorfull and confusing enough. As on Ghostbusters i like the whites as an indicator of progress, so when i see plenty of white lights i know i am progressing. I tried different colors and they are just disturbing imo. And with just a fast look during gameplay whites makes sense.
More is not always more, but thats just me.

No, I don’t have anything to advertise, I was just sharing my opinion as I’ve used the PinMonk light gels for DeadPool and TMNT.

I find the white lights in the middle of the playfield to be mismatched with the rest of the game. I like them to match the insert outlines.

#3904 3 years ago

I created a little 3D printed “cap” for the van diverter. I’ve been testing it and so far it works really well. I could share the files if anyone wants to try one. You don’t have to disassemble anything to install it, I just took it apart to get the measurements.

Also ignore the blowout on the bottom, that was from testing. It will actually hold.
01DBB0C4-7F69-47CC-A18E-4DF667F154F9 (resized).jpeg01DBB0C4-7F69-47CC-A18E-4DF667F154F9 (resized).jpeg6571E7A3-6FEB-4523-B785-41ECBA9925CA (resized).jpeg6571E7A3-6FEB-4523-B785-41ECBA9925CA (resized).jpeg

#3947 3 years ago

I’m having an issue where my back left lighting seems to be “rebooting”? It will run foe a couple of seconds then do a bit of a startup cycle and fail over and over. It is happening in attract mode and in game. I also notice the pizza will jerk just a bit at the end of the sequence. Has anyone seen something like this?

#3949 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This has been reported a number of times as a sign the servo for the glider is failing:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-club2020-cowabunga-its-pizza-time/page/32#post-5770567
It also can be a sign of a short in a GI bulb, but that's less likely.

Ahh crap…I read stuff a while ago at launch about it and kind of rulled it out because the glider seemed totally unrelated. I’ll contact them tomorrow. Thank you!

#3961 3 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Mine was doing this right out of the box. STILL waiting on my replacement glider assembly after 1.5 months. You can still play your game, just unplug the glider assembly from under the playfield and center the glider.

Wtf, why is it taking stern so long? My glider is still working, it just does this flickering thing with the lights. Should I be expecting the glider to fail completely?

#3962 3 years ago
Quoted from PinHead50:

Has anyone done the glider servo replacement from amazon? I am looking at trying to replace it myself. I dont know what sterns deal is but still dont have an ETA for a new glider after a month. Looks like its a straight forward motor swap.
amazon.com link »

This is crazy that you would have to rebuild it yourself. Is this a problem with all Prem and LE machines?

Is it kind of a matter of time situation or just a fluke? I guess if we’re talking about the prior I wouldn’t mind talking to an RC expert and understanding what kind of servo would be the longest lasting.

#3966 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Pretty sure it's a matter of time issue because Stern likely bought the cheapest, crappiest servos known to China and now it's biting them in the ass. Small chance it was xaqery's software that ran the servo out of spec, but I think that's unlikely knowing how meticulous he is.

That isn’t what I wanted to hear, but it is exactly what I expected to hear.

1 week later
#4086 3 years ago

I understand all of the issues I am reading about with the glider servo, but I am still confused on how mine seems to work correctly but the lights keep recycling. Everyone (even stern) agreed that the video I took is a glider issue but I don’t understand how it is causing the other errors.

#4105 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The burned out/failing servo is likely drawing too much power and resetting the Node board. Both are attached to Node 9.
There are too many affected lights to show them all (a LOT are on Node 9, check your manual), but I cut out the LAIR lights section from the chart in the manual because you can see them resetting in your video so it was an easy comparison point. L-A-I-R lights are all attached to Node 9, where the Servo is drawing power, too.
If you unplug the servo from Node 9, your problem will likely resolve unless the node board has been damaged by the servo (which I doubt).
[quoted image]

This makes sense, ty! I really hope there is a solution soon. I appreciate the people trying other servos.

#4166 3 years ago
Quoted from PinHead50:

OK everyone, good news. I just got done switching out the servo motor on my glider and for the first time since day one, IT WORKS!! I'm going to play it a bit today and make sure it doesn't have any issues. All in all it was an easy swap. All you need is a screwdriver, nut driver, and two tiny zip ties. This was a plug and play part. It took about 20 minutes to do. Have to take both lower rails off (4 nuts) and then 3 screws on the glider mech and it pops off. Then 4 bolts holding the servo down. Cut some zip ties and then put everything back. Under the playfield there is a small circuit board that is wrapped in heat shrink that goes in line with the servo wires that you will reuse. If you are planning on putting some new Titan post rubbers now is a good time since that glider is over two of them. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me...
Here is the part on amazon I used.
amazon.com link »

How is the servo holding up? Any weirdness yet? I may bite the bullet and do the same thing.

2 weeks later
#4414 3 years ago
Quoted from PinHead50:

I just got off the phone with Hi Tech. He said their motors are clockwise and some may be counter. He gave me the instructions to solder 4 wires to reverse it. He said you can order the servo from ServoCity.com and tell them you need it reversed and they will ship it already done. You swap the orange and brown wire on the motor and the two green and red outside wires on the potentiometer.

First, PinHead50 and @arcadenerd925, that you so much for the info! @pinhead50, if I have this correct we need to order the swapped direction 645 from ServoCity? https://www.servocity.com/hs-645mg-servo/

#4442 3 years ago
Quoted from PinHead50:

That is the servo but you will need counter-clockwise rotation

FYI, I tried to contact ServoCity and have my motor modified...I got this response: "We only offer reprogramming on some servos. All the servos that can be reprogrammed are stated at the link below with the word (reprogrammed) next to its name. When you select one of those on the right hand side of the product page it will list what kind of reprogramming we can offer on that servo, and the cost of that."

It looks like I will either be finding a switcher or trying to switch the wiring on the motor like arcadenerd925 did.

I also found a few videos on reversing servos and it looks super easy. I'm not an RC guy, but I tend to wonder why they don't just build them with a switch that let's you choose the direction.

#4470 3 years ago

This game is spectacular. The only thing I don’t care for is the zero support I’ve received on my scratched lock bar and broken servo motor. I would be playing it more than Avengers if it were fixed. Hopefully my aftermarket servo gets here soon…granted I feel dirty fixing the problem Stern should have fixed.

#4515 3 years ago

I replaced my servo today with the HS-645mg and it works great! That said, there are a couple of things I learned along the way.

- Don’t use a servo reversing circuit! I bought a few from Amazon in the hopes of sparing some soldering work…it doesn’t work. It reversed it, but also made it jittery and crazy.
- Order the reversed servo if at all possible. The solder job is quite small and the parts are covered in glue. It wasn’t super hard to solder it but I have a decent amount of experience.

1 week later
#4848 3 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

I also own both LEs man I gotta say tough tough call both great different . I prefer the turtles theme so that may give it the edge but game wise it’s a tie.
If talking pro I would go turtles I think you lose less .

Same for me…they are both fantastic games. I might hand it to turtles if I had to pick, but luckily I don’t right now.

5 months later
#6557 2 years ago
Quoted from plasticbugs:

Edit: The primary benefit of this (besides preventing that loud fan noise) is not having to open your power supply case which voids your Stern warranty.

I’ve been thinking about this solution as well…unfortunately I am not as good of a 3D modeler . Does it work simply by keeping the PSU cool enough that the stock fan never runs? I was wondering if you could do that for every pinball PSU. In theory you could use 120mm fans that are super quiet and just force so much air that the PSU would always be cool.

7 months later
#8070 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

Here is a preview:

Holy shit! So I can keep the game completely stock and just swap out these animations with yours? How much? Too lazy for a “take my money” picture .

#8081 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I dislike the April animations as much as anyone else. However, I would just be careful about putting altered rom images on your game. The EULA forbids it of course, but there's more risk to it than that:
'You will not use or install any Unauthorized Content or Unauthorized Software. Use of Unauthorized Content or Unauthorized Software may result in your Stern Pinball Machine ceasing to work permanently and/or losing access to Stern Pinball’s online game network, either immediately or after a later installed Authorized Update.'
In order to keep the integrity of Insider Connected in place, I would imagine at some point that games with modified code will become automatically blacklisted from online connections. I don't think it's a question *if* Stern takes a tougher stance, just a question of *when*.
I don't want to debate the good or bad, just trying to remind everyone of the potential risk.
Rob

This is a valid point.

11 months later
#10173 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I have heard the servo test may not actually be a good reliable way to tell if it’s working properly. This guy said his replacement didn’t work properly in test but does in actual gameplay. Can someone please share what happens when you go into test?

You need to pull out the interlock switch.

2 months later
#10555 1 year ago

Could someone tell me where the setting to disable the insider connected turtle levels is?

#10558 1 year ago
Quoted from cabal:

i don't think there is a setting.
Not 100% sure but i think when you have logged in and press left and right for some time you there should be a menu option to reset it. In competition mode it is also switched off, but you will lose a lot of random stuff, like toppings.

That is horribly annoying. So all home scores are always better than public scores?

#10561 1 year ago
Quoted from cabal:

well you can skip insider connected, but that would be horrible too. But every solution at the moment is not good
I hope they will put in a setting in some future code.

Well, thanks for the info. I agree it is dumb. I like the idea, but it isn’t for me. I want the challenge every time.

#10593 1 year ago
Quoted from livetowin:

Is there a way to disable the turtle leveling up feature save in insider connect?

Haha, I literally just asked this ~15 posts back. Apparently there is not .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 7,999.00
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 16.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Jacksonville, FL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aniraf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-club2020-cowabunga-its-pizza-time?tu=aniraf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.