(Topic ID: 271489)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Club(Stern 2020): Cowabunga! It’s Pizza Time!

By Tuxedomask23

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,044 posts
  • 828 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Afty86
  • Topic is favorited by 335 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Which model are you going to purchase”

• Pro 285 votes
    50%
  • Premium 166 votes
    29%
  • LE 120 votes
    21%

(571 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_084026 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image.png
PXL_20240413_183258513.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_3649 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3648 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5713 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5712 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124621 (resized).jpg
SystemJPinball.ca_1_TMNT-MenuCard-PremLE-Mean1.1_example-3 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1141 TMNT fresh out-of-the-box Issues and Fixes FAQ Posted by Stosel (3 years ago)

Post #1580 Lights rebooting on the back of the machine - FIX Posted by HookedonPinonics (3 years ago)

Post #2172 playfirlo colour differences Posted by Phatchit (3 years ago)

Post #2390 Left Outlane Fix Posted by NoQuarters (3 years ago)

Post #2457 DIY Krang Mod Instructions Posted by ABE_FLIPS (3 years ago)

Post #4037 Glider Servo DIY replacement Posted by PinHead50 (3 years ago)

Post #4120 Link to Amazon product page for replacement servo for glider Posted by PinHead50 (3 years ago)

Post #4327 Sloppy soldering at factory causing overvoltage error - fix Posted by Blackzarak (3 years ago)

Post #4374 Replacing bad glider servo with amazon better one Posted by arcadenerd925 (3 years ago)

Post #4698 Center Ramp non-registering opto fix Posted by spidey (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3926 3 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

Man. Not what I wanted to hear

Check your goodie bag. Some games (but not all) come with spare sling plastics. It was more common in the past...not sure how much that is done anymore. Worth checking though. Fingers crossed for you!

#3951 3 years ago
Quoted from RoyalJack:

Going to check now lol
EDIT: I forgot, I did find that bag, it had some keychains in it.

Damn...sorry. I figured it was a long shot these days. It's definitely worth at least checking with your distributor and Stern though. At least as of a few years ago they would send "freebie" bags of stuff to tournament directors to give out at events, and there were almost always random plastics, target decals, stuff like that mixed in. So hopefully they do have spares available. I wouldn't hold my breath, but it's worth asking before dropping the money on a full set.

#4057 3 years ago

Hi guys. Stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer. How and why are the plunges different between the pro and the prem/LE? What does the premium do at ball launch that the pro doesn't? Thanks!

#4059 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

It needs to be able to load balls into the Van for the multiball. So, it launches up onto the ramp.

Ahh...that makes sense. So it's always going "over" the lanes, which doesn't allow a normal lane skill shot? Thanks!

1 week later
#4149 3 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

I reached out to my distributor to see what we can do. Every handful of ball launches the ball either hops and comes rolling back down or hits the sidewall and rolls back down. Fun.

That's a nasty one. Being it's both ugly and especially since it affects play, my guess is Stern will replace it, but most likely with an unpopulated pf. My understanding is it is very difficult if not impossible to get a populated playfield anymore (even though in your case I think it is justified being a play issue). If it were mine, and Stern does send an unpopulated, I think before doing a swap I would attempt chipping off the glue and then brushing some clear over the area. You should be able to get it off if you are careful, but it's hard to say how smooth you can get it and how good the new clear would look and hold up (without some major work). I wouldn't try this before knowing I had a backup though in case it got ugly. Best of luck!

1 week later
#4277 3 years ago
Quoted from BaxterStockman:

I'm finally at the point of buying this pin. Leaning towards Premium/LE.
Really want a LE. But would I lose out on warranty fixes and such if I go secondary route?

I believe officially, yes. Actually, no. I have never had Stern deny a legit claim (up to and including playfield replacements) because of not being the original owner.

1 week later
#4548 3 years ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

Hello.. New to turtles. Can anyone tell me if 2v2 requires each player to play an entire game while the others wait? That's how ours is. You would think you take turns. Thanks. Ill check which code I have later. Just got our pro. Loving it.

You should be taking turns. Did you remember to hit start four times? That seems to be a common problem with co-op games. Once you set the mode, you still have to start the right number of players.

1 week later
#4733 3 years ago
Quoted from Jadin2rank:

Hey everybody! So I have owned my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for about a month or so now, and after watching Deadflips stream on the new code the other night, I realized his outside orbit shots were connected and it flowed great. I looked into my machine and realized that I have a stop post in the dead center of the outside orbit loop, so obviously that was why every time i shoot the left orbit, it comes right back down. Along with the right orbit always going to the pop bumpers. Now to get to the point, is there anyway I can do anything so that my pro would have a complete outside orbit loop (Like a way to keep that post down)? I just find that it plays with a lot more flow when games have a completely connected outside orbit. Any sort of help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Did you read the replies you got on the thread you started a few days ago and did you check to see if your post coil is working and the post is not jammed?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tmnt-stern-pro-outside-orbit-shot

#4806 3 years ago
Quoted from Jadin2rank:

Omg... I loosened the screws holding the bracket around coil. Pushed down a bit as it looked like the post was not dead on center to move freely. Turns out after holding the bracket in the proper position and retightening, the post now moves freely and my ball goes around the orbit for the first time since I’ve owned this machine!!

Glad to hear it was easy. For future reference, this was exactly what I meant when I replied to check if the post was binding up. Sorry I didn't explain it better, but super glad to hear you were able to fix it! Congrats on the machine and your first minor repair!

#4809 3 years ago
Quoted from Jadin2rank:

Haha thanks man! Kind of feel like a gomer after realizing how simple and easy of a fix it was. Was definitely a sigh of relief once I messed with it and it was not anything major! Thanks everyone for all your help! Especially to shaub who took the time to make a youtube video for me to help me along the process!

These things are intimidating at first and it's easy for us old timers to forget that. Most issues you run into will likely be along similar lines and you just need to take it one step at a time and have the confidence to dig in. Many times it will become obvious once you start poking around. That's half the fun (usually!).

#4892 3 years ago

So I think I've found one near by(2 hour drive). It's a Pro even tho I was leaning towards a Premium or LE. But is super modded out. For $6K
I'm so excited that I may finally get this game.

How modded out? That seems high for a pro.

#4940 3 years ago

Happy to finally be in the club! Great game. Flows so well! It’s tough, but I wouldn’t say it’s overly mean. No unfair drains from the pizza or lair yet... knock on wood!

I did get unlucky with a grainy playfield. Any word yet on if they are replacing them? It’s annoying but I’m not sure if it’s worth the hassle to replace.

Also...if you take note of the machine next to it, you will see that my username prophecy has finally been fulfilled!

928C659E-ABD4-414A-8AB5-39415E9716F8 (resized).jpeg928C659E-ABD4-414A-8AB5-39415E9716F8 (resized).jpegC6BB6CA9-619D-47E2-922F-584DA0A760DC (resized).jpegC6BB6CA9-619D-47E2-922F-584DA0A760DC (resized).jpeg

#4949 3 years ago
Quoted from CKrueger:

Welcome to the club! We just joined too. We sold our SW Pro for TMNT, which I'm still not sure was a great idea. I might end up with a comic SW someday.

Thanks! Congrats to you as well. I have tried to convince myself to sell SW with the promise of a comic version "someday", but I haven't been able to talk myself into it yet. Mine just plays so damn good after (very) much tweaking. I've defeated the Emperor quite a few times now so there's really nothing left to do, but I can't quite say I'm done with it yet. Another great, underrated game.

#4958 3 years ago
Quoted from cabal:

have you checked the coil stops?
like in this video if found on youtube:

Also, and even easier, make sure the flipper bat is not tightened down tight against the playfield bushing. There should be a slight up-down "slop". I've seen quite a few games shipped with them too tight. If you can't move it up and down (perpendicular to the playfield, not rotating), just loosen the bat, give it about a credit card worth of clearance from the pf bushing, and tighten it back down.

If that's not it, it's most likely the coil stops.

#4959 3 years ago

Found a few old friends. I have just enough ceiling height for the turtles to be toppers. Might add a couple enemies to the playfield but only if it doesn’t get too cluttered.

Also turned my van. Big improvement!

16FE339E-F2E3-4C7A-B5D1-E7F938B4E633 (resized).jpeg16FE339E-F2E3-4C7A-B5D1-E7F938B4E633 (resized).jpegF31E7ECD-AF53-4EDF-BCC1-7B6BFAA500EF (resized).jpegF31E7ECD-AF53-4EDF-BCC1-7B6BFAA500EF (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#5027 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I think it's probably my favourite shot on the machine. It's funny, because when the playfield was first revealed, I was worried it was going to be too easy to shoot it. haha

I wouldn't mind it being slightly easier, but I do like it too. For some reason I can't find it consistently on my machine, but it feels really good to nail it. I am surprised how much harder it is than the Away Team shot on Star Trek being the same concept. And knock on wood, my machine hasn't Borged me yet from that shot (shouldn't have said that out loud!).

#5071 3 years ago

Finally got to Neutrino Pizza Party! Very cool mode. Love the animations of them playing pinball. Man that training is hard to get through and then hitting each X standup and then the ramp before they time out is tough. Only bummer is it's a timed mode and I think only 30 seconds long, and single ball. Not sure if there is a way to extend the time?

It would have been cool for Neutrino Pizza Party to be a reward for completing a couple pizza eating contests instead (right now that's a little anticlimactic compared tie fighter multiball from the equivalent mode in Star Wars). Then have a training themed reward in its place for getting to training level 3. Maybe it could be some sort of sparring match between the four turtles? It just feels like a nice training themed multiball would be a more appropriate reward for all that work, LOL.

No complaints though...just thinking out loud. Love, love, love this game! It definitely feels like the third in a kick-ass Dwight Sullivan trilogy with GoT and SW. And to me this is hands down Borg's best layout. Just so smooth and satisfying.

#5087 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

I LOVE shake effects...this effect at Pizza MB start is shaking along with a super loud grinding sound like the machine is being chewed up. Was thinking it was the motor but its not. Anyways, to each their own. An option to disable or tone down would be nice so all can enjoy it how they like.

There might be something weird with your shaker. Mine is a great effect and not obnoxiously strong at all. I've had many machines that were much stronger, Deadpool for one, and Star Trek. I would make sure the shaker is screwed down tight, check that there isn't a loose t-nut, etc. I would call the shaker effect average to most other games. I am using a Pinball Life shaker for reference, but I have had official Stern ones before and find them very similar. Do you possibly have a Cointaker Red Tremor? Those are insanely obnoxious, but that isn't the game's fault.

Also if your spinner is making that much noise, you should take it out and oil it. Some noise is normal, but "super loud grinding sound" is not normal. Try a drop of 3-in-1 oil. If you look through this thread there is a pic from Stern that shows where/how to oil properly.

#5090 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Thanks. Interesting phenomenon as some having exact issue I am. Its a Pinball Life shaker. Its not the shaker though, I swapped out 2 other shakers from DP and GOTG that work fine in those games, and its the same issue only at NP multiball with those. Its all bolted down and tightened the head screw. Anyways, it's off until changes come...if not, it's still the favorite game in my collection without the shaker!

That is weird. Mine is absolutely nothing like that and doesn't stand out as abnormal at all. Crazy. Hope you get it sorted out and the pizza multiball start is really well choreographed. Good luck!

#5108 3 years ago

One thing I think many new owners do not think about is level and pitch. Get a $20 digital level, or at minimum a small bubble level for left/right and an angle finder for the pitch. Do not trust the bubble that ships on the machine...they are garbage and confuse more than they help. Machines are generally designed for 6.5 deg pitch. Most people like a bit steeper which makes it faster and also easier to catch/cradle the ball. That's ok, but remember if stuff doesn't work right, make sure you eliminate too steep (or shallow) first. You will get slightly different readings in different areas of the playfield due to slight playfield variations, and that's normal. Just try to get a good average and remember a small change can make a big difference in how it plays.

Most important...have fun and enjoy it!

#5112 3 years ago
Quoted from plasticbugs:

My TMNT Premium is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. As luck would have it, we're doing extensive landscaping work tomorrow which requires many strong men. I assume 5 or 6 large men, two or three on each side could lift the box pall-bearer style from the "truck this side" side and carry it up 6 stairs to my porch from the sidewalk? Anyone tried that technique yet? My fallback is to rent a Powermate stairclimbing dolly from Sunbelt rentals, but I'd prefer the 6 burly men approach since it's less work and cheaper for me. I'll probably give each of the guys a tenner for their help.
EDIT: Please tell me this is not an absolutely insane idea.

Assuming they are appropriately burly, four of them will just be in the way.

#5120 3 years ago
Quoted from Yobits:

hopefully my TMNT arrives this month, i am in same boat as yourself
as i was reading through this thread
i have made a note to adjust certain settings
1. Lair Ball save, Adj 24 Ball Save Timer: LAIR to "2"
2. Pitch down to 6.5
3. Adj 15 Lane Change Battle Again to "Yes"
4. dialed down the auto plunge to 170
5. flipper power in the feature adjustment. Put the three at 185.
i didn't writes notes on why, sorry
if anyone has an opinion on these settings, please do comment
not sure if you are planning any mods
but someone in this thread posted their cheap way to mod the white lights in center of playfield
which i plan to do
cheap way i will do this is with gel filters, stuck under the playfield,
although these on Amazon cost a bit more than they do where i am
amazon.com link »
[quoted image]

I wouldn't adjust the auto plunge or flippers until you play your game a few times and have reason to. I haven't touched mine and they are perfect as-is. Every machine will be slightly different, so just copy/pasting someone else's power settings will not necessarily be an improvement. Lair Ball Save also may not be needed. I have a decent number of plays on mine already, and so far it hasn't screwed me over yet. (I probably shouldn't have said that... ).

#5154 3 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Played some TMNT, found it kind of odd. You can keep getting unlimited add a balls in turtle power. Was really easy to manipulate. Anyone think they may fix this in a future code update.

You can? I have had my machine about a month and I don't think I have ever gotten an add a ball. Not sure how.

#5159 3 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Yep just do this over and over seems never ending if your accurate. I'm fine with one one or two add a balls but not unlimited.

Ahh...hitting the lair shot on demand is still kind of my kryptonite, so I either haven't done it or just not enough to notice it happening.

Is there an add-a-ball for pizza?

#5183 3 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

While I can't justify the cost increase much, having played both pro and premium, the reason I personally like the premium better:
- Turtle van lock (MB's are insane, love it)
- Launching the ball feeds the upper left flipper (how i get the majority of my krang combo's)
- Glider diverter (ability to switch which flipper gets fed from your ramp shots. I will swap so that I can feed the left ramp over and over also so I can hit the pizza parlor after lighting episodes)
- Pizza disc spinning both directions doesn't really add much for me
However, this is one of the first sterns where I felt I would have also been perfectly happy with a pro.

FYI...if you hold down the left flipper when launching the ball, the pro will also feed the upper flipper. Awesome game in any form!

#5225 3 years ago

Just got my Tilt Graphics art blades installed. I’m a little torn on these. I like the concept and subtlety but kind of wonder if I should have gone with the Stern ones. I love their action button plate though!

I also mounted my original Shredder, Bebop, and Rocksteady. Need to get a Krang at some point. Never had him when I was a kid. My turtles and Splinter are on top of the back box.
1EE6D3B6-CCAB-4231-82E8-92BB29970EBB (resized).jpeg1EE6D3B6-CCAB-4231-82E8-92BB29970EBB (resized).jpeg508FD411-0099-4017-AD20-3D7BEFB96928 (resized).jpeg508FD411-0099-4017-AD20-3D7BEFB96928 (resized).jpeg894C066D-B325-4541-911C-26714F821873 (resized).jpeg894C066D-B325-4541-911C-26714F821873 (resized).jpegB6D4023A-12C6-48D8-872F-62262B0C8E7E (resized).jpegB6D4023A-12C6-48D8-872F-62262B0C8E7E (resized).jpegC7C65F75-56E0-4A5A-B64E-545233678E5C (resized).jpegC7C65F75-56E0-4A5A-B64E-545233678E5C (resized).jpeg

508938A2-9B3F-4700-9246-DA601FDBC3B2 (resized).jpeg508938A2-9B3F-4700-9246-DA601FDBC3B2 (resized).jpeg
#5228 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

The lockdown decal. Is that metal? Or just a sticker

It is multi layered plastic. Lasered (I assume).

54703C29-F6C1-4D91-A0C9-8894B55D5B0A (resized).jpeg54703C29-F6C1-4D91-A0C9-8894B55D5B0A (resized).jpeg
#5232 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

(In Splinter voice) You are correct, my son... in regards to putting Bebop and RockSteady in the left and right orbits. It's almost like there should be default stands to put them there. It just makes so much sense. I did Shredder on top of the Technodrome plastic. I can't find half of my TMNT toys (including Krang and the giant TMNT van that shoots pizza discs) but I found enough to fill up the PF. I then bought an OG Krang and put an LED in his head and mounted him on a spring so I have a moving Krang on a Pro which is good enough for me.
But I LOVE what you did with the figures on top. I have the 4 main turtles unopened in their packaging. Was hoping to make a topper out of them still in box... but I don't have the ceiling clearance. I do have opened turtles as well. I may have to check the clearance to see if I can fit opened figures instead as I really like how your's looks!

Thanks! My ceiling is height challenged, and I have just enough room for them. I definitely want a Krang yet. Not sure if he will replace Shredder's spot or go somewhere else. I will have to see once I find one. Hope you find the rest of yours!

#5234 3 years ago

Oh Dwight....how I love you and your ability to make me do things I know I shouldn't do. I'm a few modes in...doing pretty well. Team-up will be soon. Maybe a chance at Final Battle? Maybe. But then...pizza eating contest starts. Ignore it...it's not worth it...stay the course. Just ignore it. Just ignore it. I am incapable of ignoring.

slapslapslapslapslapslapDRAIN! UGG

Ohhh...training. I should just ignore that. Stay the course. Just ignore it. Nah...might as well try. Drain.

Weapon Hurry-up? Same deal.

So much for those episodes. I'm way too compelled to go after those super dangerous high pressure hurry-ups that aren't worth it but I can't seem to ignore. LOL

Same thing he does to me on Star Wars. So, so good.

#5263 3 years ago

Very cool update. Episode selection will definitely add a nice layer of strategy! Plus a whole new mini-game? Heck yeah!! Thanks Dwight and crew!!

#5274 3 years ago

That was fast!!
PRO V1.41 - December 23, 2020
=============================
Fixed:
- Fixed a GI lamp show issue where if you kill HALF SHELL CHALLENGE with the
left flipper button + start button at the right time and then start a new
regular game the lamp effect may continue.

Downloading now, but I hope this fixes it. Mine was doing it by finishing HSC naturally and then playing a normal game...not from killing it with left+start.

#5278 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Downloading now, but I hope this fixes it. Mine was doing it by finishing HSC naturally and then playing a normal game...not from killing it with left+start.

Confirmed this fixed it. Thanks Dwight! HSC is going to be so much fun for league night side tournaments and the like. Awesome little mode!!

#5281 3 years ago
Quoted from StarWarsTurtles:

TMNT Mods for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Stern 2020. These are on my Pro. Had to dress it up a little and change a few things on it. Some of the Mods you will recognize from Mezel Mods and others. Others are my doing like the Raphael Sia mounted on the left ramp so the the ball passes under it. It is solid polished metal with the handle wrapped in Red and Black with the matching chrome Ramp mount as well. Just zip ties on. Looks like it should have been there. Similar to Deadpools Katana. It is $115 plus shipping. The Sewer Pipe is a work still progress on the right ramp, lit inside. One of the things I noticed on the original game were that there are the four colored playfield lights that correspond to the Turtles at the beginning while choosing them. The 2 Turtle plastics by the bottom 2 lights dont correspond to their colors. I found a set of Turtles that you can mount next to each corresponding light and come with a Sewer Platforms to just silicone them in place. No harm to the original plastics. They are $40 a set and look great as the lights show each one off. The Mousers came with a Samurai Turtle figure.
The DIY Mods that most can do are removing the Turtle Van since it is just a toy on the Pro, drilling it for lights, silicone it at the angle shown which will leave room for the Turtles Parking Only sign that mounts in original Van mounting hole. I just used aluminum rod and a Photo paper sign. You can now see the Sewer plastic that was covered by the van originally. Krang was purchased on Ebay and wired with lights as is common as is finding Raphael on Ebay for the glider. The light up decals on the apron are the originals that come with it as they do light up. I just carefully traced around them and peeled them off and mounted them back on some clear polycarbonate that is about 1/4 larger all around. I then cut out the plastic where they were just a little smaller than the decals, sanded the edges, and back mounted the decals and polycarbonate with silicone. I ran LEDS from the front apron lights to light them up. If you have any questions or comments let me know if I can help you with these. Thats what we are here for! Have fun Modding!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Dude...all of it looks great, but the lit apron and Sai are both hero level. Sewer pipe is cool too, but I wonder if it hurts visibility a bit? Nice work!

#5300 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Just picked up a NIB TMNT LE and I have to say it's wayyy better than I expected!! Best light show on a recent Stern I've seen.
As far as some complaints about the left lane being brutal or draining too much..no way. This is the least brutal Borg design I've played and ball times are pretty long.
My kids love this machine because it's a multi all fest.
Layout is awesome !! Rules are great and just learned there's even newer code.. Dwight, great job man.
Artwork, sound, etc etc..homerun pin right here

100% agree. I love the light show, as I love all of Dwight's light shows. Winter is Coming (GoT) is the best. To me it's an extra dimension in the immersion.

Left outlane complaints are overblown. Yes it's a bit of a mean game, but not at all unfair. I'd have to check my audits, but the left does not stand out to me as being much worse than right or center. Seems balanced well to me. This is definitely Borg's best layout, and the code is right up there with Dwight's best.

Totally agree that it's a homerun game. I admit I am still in the honeymoon phase, but that should be wearing off by now, and I still think this could be my favorite machine ever.

#5318 3 years ago

Just checked my audits. At least on my machine, the left drain is not an issue, in fact it is the lowest draining percentage. I am at 72 left drains, 182 center, and 85 right drains. My game shows 147 total plays and 590 lifetime. I'm not sure how far back the "total" goes, as I am sure I have not played 147 games since the last code update (today), or even the one before (yesterday). I bought it about a month ago at about 450 plays, and updated the code then, so there must be a code age "threshold" on what is counted in "total". And I am guessing the drains only go back as far as "total" does, as lifetime should show way more drains. At either rate, at least for my machine, center drains are by a large margin the most popular way to lose a ball.

#5350 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Just got my Tilt Graphics art blades installed. I’m a little torn on these. I like the concept and subtlety but kind of wonder if I should have gone with the Stern ones. I love their action button plate though!
I also mounted my original Shredder, Bebop, and Rocksteady. Need to get a Krang at some point. Never had him when I was a kid. My turtles and Splinter are on top of the back box.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Got my Krang (a great Christmas present from my wife and daughter!), so did a little rearranging and put him in. Love it!

0E5FF16B-262A-4F10-B9E4-AF2654DC931B (resized).jpeg0E5FF16B-262A-4F10-B9E4-AF2654DC931B (resized).jpeg16F50423-E74C-48EA-A5FB-836044E6B682 (resized).jpeg16F50423-E74C-48EA-A5FB-836044E6B682 (resized).jpeg75882964-2252-4F9E-9ADB-A4ABBBF3C4E2 (resized).jpeg75882964-2252-4F9E-9ADB-A4ABBBF3C4E2 (resized).jpegC6B8C29F-376A-4D32-8FB0-D8707B8C7318 (resized).jpegC6B8C29F-376A-4D32-8FB0-D8707B8C7318 (resized).jpegD3001AB6-9351-4577-BF5A-200D64AD2163 (resized).jpegD3001AB6-9351-4577-BF5A-200D64AD2163 (resized).jpeg
#5411 3 years ago

That's a fantastic deal, grainy pf or not. And this one looks ok, though as has been mentioned its hard to tell without clear close-up pics. I do not think there is another pro machine I would take over TMNT right now. Definitely not JP or ST (though I am a fan of ST, and JP is pretty good).

#5450 3 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I’m considering adding TMNT and was wondering how you all find the depth of code? Have you all beaten the final wizard mode already? For reference, I’ve had Deadpool for about 18 months and finally beat the wizard mode, so I want to make sure the game will keep me occupied for at least that long.

I would actually say TMNT and DP have fairly similar depth levels, with TMNT having a few more required "diversions" if you are to get to the ultimate wizard mode, Cowabunga. My guess is that Cowabunga will be one of those very rare modes that few mortals will ever see, due to the difficulty of the triple mondo jackpot and max Krang combo. TMNT's Final Battle is no slouch, but is obtainable. Deadpool's Final Battle is probably slightly harder to get to than TMNT's, but TMNT has that one more layer with Cowabunga.

Bottom line, if DP kept you occupied that long, I would expect TMNT to easily do the same. TMNT is a more punishing layout though, with more speed, flow, and combos than DP. Both fantastic games!

#5467 3 years ago
Quoted from RoyalJack:

I tried out Final Battle mode again last night and don't have any spoken dialog in the opening video scene on version 1.41 on premium. Anyone else with this issue? xaqery I LOVE this freaking game!

Yup...same here and I have seen another couple posts mentioning it. I have gotten it in game twice since the update, and also played Final Battle Challenge once or twice. No speech on any of them. I am assuming Dwight is aware and a fix will be coming soon.

#5499 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Leaning Pro, but like the skill shots and of course turtle van multiball on the the Premium. Can you disable the diverter or leave it in a neutral position?

Skill shots? I thought that is the same between them, but the pro has the addition of a lane light skill shot that the premium doesn't have.

#5519 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Anyone add the shaker? What about the ninja shooter rod? Worth it?

The shaker is very well used, especially the start of pizza multiball which is one of the best shaker moments I have seen...er...felt.

#5531 3 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Any gotg owners here?
I can swap my gotg LE with a TMNT LE.
Pros for the gotg is the theme and music. I don’t hate turtles as a theme but gotg resonates much better with me. Also I prefer typical real video over cartoon.
Pro for the TMNT is however the layout. I get the feeling it’s just a better shooter with more to shoot. Three flippers are better than two I guess
On coding I haven’t played tmnt enough to say which is better however. I get the impression however TMNT has deeper code.
Laat but not least I think reseller value gotg is typ better as TMNT, at least in Europe where the theme TMNT is less strong as gotg. TMNT is more a kiddies theme over here.
Any comments from gotg plus TMNT owners?

I have owned both. GOTG left very quickly, while TMNT will be a long term keeper. GOTG was one of my biggest disappointments. Yes, it's a solid game, but it's just so damn generic. Almost everything about that game was recycled from a different, better game. The playfield has been done (better) a million times before. It is almost literally a combination of Metallica and Iron Man. Combine that with a basic code structure that has also been done a million times before, and it just has a "been there done that" feeling. I try not to criticize designers too much, but honestly GOTG is probably the laziest, most phoned in machine ever made. Perfect example of how lazy it is...Cherry Bomb. A mid-point mini-wizard mode that was tacked in with absolutely no theming other than playing a song that played in the movie. They didn't even bother to put any sort of video or movie tie-in. Just some cherries and bombs because those are words from the song. Ugg. So much awesome stuff in the movie...and that is what they decided to do with that mode. Come on...at least have the Milano flying around or something...anything. It's a perfect license, and a machine I was super excited for. Yeah, it's a decent game, but the games it recycles from are better. Just a damn shame all around.

TMNT on the other hand...complete opposite. The layout and code are both unique and loads of fun. Yes, there are bits and pieces of design cues from games like Tron and X-Men...but nothing overt and it is definitely it's own thing. Same with the code. Yes, it shows a bit of the same signature of SW and GoT with the choices, mode strategies, and hurry-up based side goals, but it is definitely it's own game 100%. Plus there are so many ways to play, it will not get old for a very long time. Go for modes hoping to get to Team-up and then Final Battle (not to mention the strategy of which modes to bring in to TU). Go for training to level up and try to get to pizza party. Concentrate just on the various hurry-ups. Put together the perfect combination of toppings before starting Pizza multi. Try to do it all for Cowabunga (lol Good Luck!). Try Final Battle Challenge and see how well you can do. Try a speedrun completely separate from the rest of the game with Half Shell Challenge. Have friends over? Sure you can just compete as usual, or you can team up in co-op, or even gang up on each other in a 3-on-1 or 2-on-2 battle. So many ways to play. GOTG? Slog through the generic modes, use the generic multiballs to help (props to Groot's moving mouth on the super though), drop some cherry bombs for no apparent reason, then Immolation Initiative and Save Xander (which I admit are pretty awesome). At least you can choose your mode order...but there isn't much strategy in that since they do not mean anything later.

Playing GOTG I can't help but think this is just a IronTallica ripoff with a crappier version of Star Trek's rules. Playing TMNT I am playing something completely unique while still feeling like a Borg/Dwight game. All that said...I kind of have an urge to play GOTG right now, LOL. Will I be shocked if I ever own one again? Not really. Like I said it's a solid game...just not unique in any way. Could I ever see giving up TMNT for it? Not in a million years.

#5559 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Good stuff! I just parted with XM Pro. I'm pretty out of the loop on new stuff.. but I know I need something with 3 flippers. I'm considering TMNT, JP, or IQ. I'm a fan of brutally quick, but think I prefer something a little less demanding on the multiplier side (since I already own SW Pro). Any input on which of those may fit well (since I think you've owned all of them)?

I am lucky enough to own TMNT and AIQ and owned a JP for about 6 months. If you are a fan of brutally quick, TMNT fits the bill much more than the other two. No shot multipliers to juggle either. Just a 2x pf that you can light and then keep alive by hitting a target before it expires. Easy peasy.

AIQ is also an amazing game. I got that and TMNT only a couple weeks apart. Love them both but if forced to choose, I would keep TMNT. I can't especially put my finger on why...it's very close though. AIQ is definitely a deeper, more complex game. TMNT has plenty of depth, but is a bit more straight forward. Lots of unique shots and combo city on both games, though AIQ is the more unique shooter overall. TMNT does not feel like a rehash of anything, but the shots are a bit more familiar overall, whereas AIQ is way out of left field (in a good way though). AIQ's gem mechanic..placing and moving them to where they will do the most good at any given time does have a little bit of the SW moving multiplier feel. Take that as you will. It's funny...SW gets the reputation of being "math chess", yet AIQ is way more complex in a similar element yet it gets praised for it. Go figure. Either way, I love it (on both machines).

JP...eh. I had a super strong honeymoon period with it, but once that was over it was REALLY over. I have had very little urge to play it again. Good game, but it just didn't pull me in and I didn't find the shots or most of the modes all that satisfying (except T-Rex modes...those rock. Paddocks are a boring slog.). I freely admit I'm the oddball on that one though, and it's a well loved game for a reason.

Knowing a little of what you like, I think TMNT would fit best for you, but honestly it's a can't lose situation with your choices. As always...try to play them all if you haven't already, and go with what makes you the most tingly.

#5562 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I appreciate the input. I was really leaning toward TMNT. The kids would love it, and it's straight out of my childhood. I'm going to see if I can get some plays in on one and start the hunt!

In non-Covid times you would be more than welcome to come play mine anytime. Hope we can get back to that soon! Good luck!

#5571 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

What are your guys' scoring strategies? Typically I play as Leonardo and try to get training right away, then work on modes. My typical games are between 15mil and 25mil with a GC around 70mil. It'd be nice to hear what others do for points.

I go back and forth between playing Leo to go for training and attempting to get to Neutrino Pizza Party (usually an utter failure!), and playing Raph and going for modes and shooting for Final Battle. I love the options this game gives me. So many ways to play it...all super fun.

#5576 3 years ago
Quoted from PinHead50:

Added Neutrino Pizza Party -
- Can only be started after you have trained and reached 3rd level
- Can only be started when nothing else is going on.
- To start hit the two Dimension X targets then shoot the left ramp before
it times out.
- Can only play once per game.

Yeah...it's a bear to pull off. Hard enough to get to level 3. But then hitting the X targets and ramp before timing out or draining becomes even harder than usual, LOL. I've still only managed it once. Good stuff.

#5628 3 years ago
Quoted from Vermont:

This is my first in-home pin, and really the first I'm playing deeply enough to explore a ruleset. I have a couple questions:
First, regarding learning the rules: It seems the rule sheet only covers the basics of the rules, and there's a lot of mystery as to how to do certain things past that. Is it typical of pinball? Do players end up documenting everything in a wiki somewhere so others can learn? Simple things, like how toppings advance, or how you relight the multiballs, as examples. Or in the Slash episode, what the lit orbits actually do (they're lit up, but it seems to advance the episode you need to hit the left ramp.)
Second, regarding scoring: Is it typical that the strategy for maxing out your score often differs wildly from advancing through the modes? It seems to me that for this pin, advancing the episodes doesn't actually generate that many points. Is that common?
I recognize these are rookie questions. Perhaps there is a resource our there that goes through this? The only things I can find are pretty basic, and I'm looking to nerd out on how I should go about learning.

Welcome to the hobby! Great first pin. Yes, in general the published rule sheets give an outline, but the deeper stuff is usually discovered by the players. Tilt Forums is a great resource for stuff like that. That's where many of the high rated competitive players hang out and discuss the real nuts and bolts of scoring and rulesets. Many of the newer games have a really nice wiki that the members there have put together. Great forum, though not nearly as active as Pinside is.

Here is the Tilt TMNT wiki rulesheet:
http://tiltforums.com/t/stern-tmnt-rulesheet/6599

You are correct that usually maximum scoring and progression do not necessarily go together. Many games have a very specific high scoring strategy, where if you only care about score, you only do that. Batman 66 is a great example of that. There is a combination of modes that can lead to insane scores, so that is all the score focused player will care about, ignoring the tons of other things to do in that game. It all comes down to what you are looking for. In general, when not competing I like to go for progression and wizard modes. I find that more fun than trying only to maximize my score. But different people want different things.

#5633 3 years ago
Quoted from fuseholder:

Half shell challenge won’t launch. Does the characters all have to be colored to start?
[quoted image]

Yeah, you have to play as each of them to "qualify" the mode before you can play it. Thankfully Dwight put a setting in so you can switch that nonsense off and have it always available.

#5641 3 years ago

When standups start launching balls, you can bend them forward slightly (the whole bracket, not just the plastic target face). You may need to readjust the switch blade spacing after doing it. Do not go too far that it jams against the front of the playfield cut-out. After getting bashed a bunch of times, they will slowly start leaning back. It's just the nature of wailing on something with a steel ball over and over at high speeds. It isn't something you have to do all that often, but it should be considered normal maintenance.

#5651 3 years ago

I do not think I posted these here already, but apologies it if did. My wife has been doing some fun stuff with her new Cricut.

9C788E91-CBF9-4AB9-8278-EC24B7837A57 (resized).jpeg9C788E91-CBF9-4AB9-8278-EC24B7837A57 (resized).jpegB87823B7-200E-4BBA-BF22-4591F5D165EC (resized).jpegB87823B7-200E-4BBA-BF22-4591F5D165EC (resized).jpeg
#5653 3 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

thanks for mentioning

agree the problem lays with the targets now being vertical instead of the 1990's where they use to lean forward. The other issue is they have lowered a little so the ball is practically inline with the target rivet which decreases from the just bending the target forward.
check out my link, even just to read up on my approach where my bracket tilts the target 5 degrees forward and lifts the target up 2mm. These are not the cheapest but are 3D printed metal and going strong
https://www.shapeways.com/product/GRBNG4DQK/stern-target-bracket-v2-5deg2mm?optionId=63971960&li=marketplace

Those look sweet and are definitely the best fix. Nice work.

#5681 3 years ago
Quoted from acons017:

Has anyone reached Cowabunga yet? Is there footage of someone playing through that mode? Seems impossible to reach.

I was closer than I have ever been last night. Still needed a Triple Mondo, and a Max Krang. Therefore, I might as well have been 50 miles away, LOL. I struggle enough making one of those inner loops (or side ramps really) on demand, much less three of them in a combo.

#5759 3 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Soooooo much better!!! Stern came through on this one. Very happy.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice. I'm at about 2 months with no word on mine. Hoping to get one soon.

#5767 3 years ago
Quoted from R_Coles:

Yeah, for sure, increasing the slope of the playfield seemed to clean some things up for me, specifically some of the cheap drains and also consistency with the inner loop and center ramp. It sounds counterintuitive because the game is already lighting fast and it might just be placebo effect, but something to try if you havent already. I have my playfield bubble set at the the top marker, whereas before it was dead center.

It's a dirty little secret that increasing the pitch of a game actually makes it easier in many ways. Nothing wrong with that though...some games simply play better that way.

As for the slings, nothing wrong with turning them down a little. I can't remember if I have TMNTs down a bit, but I know some of my games had to be turned down for sure. Most modern games have them way overpowered to the point where airballs and literally tossing the ball into the sidewall and outlane becomes a problem. I'd consider it a standard adjustment to make the game play right. Slings should be dangerous, but not violent insta-death.

1 week later
#5884 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Torn between this and avengers.
Ideally don’t want to go prem on either.
Love to hear from those that had extended time on both here or via pm. Thanks for any fb!

I am lucky enough to have both, TMNT pro and AIQ premium. Love them both, but if forced to choose, TMNT takes the cake for me. There is just something about it that pushes all the right buttons for me. The layout is fast, smooth, and so flowy, but can be punishing if you miss your shots. The code is the perfect depth and has many paths and ways to play, all of them fun and satisfying. Co-op is awesome, as are the other game modes available.

AIQ is VERY good too though. Can't lose with either. That said, if only going pro vs pro, TMNT would be an even easier pick for me. I am sure AIQ pro is still a great game, but I honestly can't imagine losing the Captain Marvel Ramp. The raising disc and subway lock system is also very cool, but the ramp is what sold me on the premium. It's a tough shot, but when you nail it I would say it's the most satisfying shot in pinball.

AIQ is longer playing, less brutal. TMNT is tough, but fair, and usually shorter playing. AIQ has deeper strategy, but TMNT has plenty to do and more different ways to play. AIQ is more serious in tone, where TMNT is a bit more lighthearted and fun. Art is absolutely amazing on both. Both have combos galore, though AIQ is easier to flow the combos as the shots are generally a bit more forgiving.

Like I said, I lean slightly to TMNT, but it's close. I would probably go with the theme that you like more. Try to play both if you can if you haven't already. I can't imagine being disappointed in either though.

#5903 3 years ago

I've only had all five April hurry-ups once (that I know of). It was a long game and they pretty much just started on their own from random bounces or missed shots. It isn't anything I ever concentrate on starting, but when I hear the music I try to hit the ramp. I regularly get 2-3 at least in a decent game without trying.

#6007 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Congrats. You actually completed the hardest parts (Max Krang, Triple Mondo!)! You'll be there soon.

I was just about to say that. You ain't lying! If he's pulling those two off, Final Battle should be no sweat, then on to Cowabunga!

I have hit Final Battle a dozen times or so (can't believe Dwight hasn't fixed the sound bug yet... :/ ). I have only done triple mondo once or twice, and I'm not sure I have ever gotten max Krang. Definitely not in the same game! The side shots are really hard for me to make consistently.

1 week later
#6113 3 years ago

For those with the Mezel Technodrome, is the bottom cut out to fit around the edge of the van? It almost looks that way in some pics, but I'm not sure. I have my van turned to face forward, and couldn't bring myself to put it back in the stock position, so I am concerned there would be a weird cut out shape on the bottom right of the Technodrome if I bought it.

Anyone have it with a turned van?

Thanks!

#6117 3 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

I kept the van in its stock position with the technodrome mod, but if you go back 15 or so pages, there were a few guys that turned the van like you did and had no issue with the mod.

Yeah I found a couple pics now, thanks. Looks like you can definitely see a cut-out that was intended to go around the van. Bummer as I think that would drive me nuts. Not sure I can talk myself into putting the van back in the stock position.

1 week later
#6161 3 years ago

Yeah I'm honestly surprised it's been so long with no update to fix the Final Battle voices and the Turtle Power multiball reset issue. Usually bugs like this are fixed really quickly. I am hoping that means he's working on a few extra surprises (but not holding my breath though...game is very feature complete and awesome as-is). Most likely he's deep in the trenches of the next games, which is also exciting. But I would definitely appreciate a bug fix soon for TMNT!

Still loving this game. It can be so mean and frustrating, but when you are on, it's absolutely amazing!

#6242 3 years ago

One of my pet peeves is how Training stays lit even when it isn't available (due to things like pizza eating, 1-2-3, etc. There are games I go for only training to try to get to Neutrino Pizza Party, so if I'm concentrating on hitting the lair and finally do, only to have it go right through even though Training is lit is infuriating. If you can't start it, turn the light off please!

Speaking of Neutrino Pizza Party, a nice long ball save would be nice. That can be a real bear to get to, and the few times I have, it's over in a blink. This playfield is so brutal and unforgiving, we need all the help we can get to appreciate the deeper modes. I wouldn't mind a longer team up ball save for that matter. I usually drain out the second the ball save drops on that one.

I still think Neutrino Pizza Party as a reward for training up is a little out of place. I'd rather see that be something more thematic to training, like a battle-royale sparring match with the other turtles or Splinter or something. I would move Neutrino Pizza Party to be a reward for so many pizza slices collected, or completing a second pizza eating contest...something along those lines. Just seems like that would be more thematic.

#6246 3 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Can you adjust your ball save in settings on that? curious

Most likely. I should check into that. Or really...what I should do is play better.

#6313 3 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

I mean no I wouldn't think I needed to do that on a brand new card regardless if it's from Stern or not, ha.
I can order a new one and see if that helps. Just had a second TP MB and it was fine.

I doubt it's your SD card. There is a well known bug with TP multiball randomly causing resets. All we can really do is wait for a code update to address it.

#6320 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Is it more a Premium/LE issue? I use Donny as my main turtle most times so i play TP multiball alot and have never had my game reset.

Yes, mine is a pro. It doesn't happen often...I've had it 2 or 3 times only so not a huge deal, but definitely needs to be addressed. I never use Donny (reserved for my daughter, LOL). Not sure if turtle selection affects it. It does seem to be fairly deep into the multiball, which is likely why I do not see it often. I rarely get to the add-a-ball, but the last time I did with a nice long multiball without an issue. On the surface it seems very random, which I know doesn't help fix it.

1 week later
#6380 3 years ago
Quoted from bazou:

Hello guys,
Finally received my NIB TMTN Pro, my very first pin, I'm so happy to join the club!
At first I thought that everything looks fine, but the more I look at it, the more I wonder if I actually do have this PF print quality issue.
When you look from very close, like if you have your nose on the glass, then you do see the printing dots. But from a normal playing distance I would say you don't see them. Have a look at the attached pictures (I have the feeling my phone camera increases this issue compared to what you see real life).
My pin has been produced in july 2020.
What do you guys think??
If this is a PF printing issue, am I supposed to ask my distributor to open a case with Stern? or can I bypass him and open a ticket directly myself? That would be more convenient for me since he is located on the other side of the country.
Also, second doubt: it seems like when the ball goes to the right ramp quite slowly the opto (highlighted in the picture) does not trigger. Is that a normal behavior? If not, do you think I could fix it?
Many thanks a lot for your help & advices beforehand, I'm a bit nervous for this first not-at-all-reasonable purchase!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Your playfield looks fine to me. I wish mine looked like that...

2 weeks later
#6447 3 years ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

I feel very similar, I think it would be better if after losing one ball it would still continue rather than just end. You’d still have a chance of rescuing the others to add more balls. Maybe after adding a ball, or balls, and then draining back to a single the second time it ends.

Yes...absolutely! Team-Up is like my kryptonite for some reason. I can get there fairly regularly, but absolutely crap the bed every time. I realize it's completely on me to play better, but it's always a huge bummer to get there and drain out almost immediately. I still do not even have a good grasp of what I need to be doing, because I never have time to process it in my brain, LOL! I love the idea of continuing in single ball play. Maybe have it timed once you go to single ball? You have 30 seconds to rescue and add a ball, or the mode times out?

And don't get me started on the lack of any ball save time on Neutrino Pizza Party. Ugg! So hard to get to, and gone in an instant. Give us time to enjoy these harder to get to modes!

2 weeks later
#6512 2 years ago
Quoted from raplaka75:

Hello everyone! Wanted to let you guys know that I 've just bought a pro version of TMNT and loving it. Played it for a few days now but came across something weird and was wondering did anyone else had this problem before. I was in a episode fighting slash and had multi ball going at the same time and this blank screen came on and nothing happened even on the play field. I did a quick reset and it was back normal again. It's running the latest code (1.41). Thanks!
[quoted image]

Unfortunately TMNT still has a few nasty lingering bugs that need to be squashed. There is also still a Turtle Power MB reset issue which seems quite random, and the call-outs are missing from Final Battle (and Final Battle Challenge). Being such major (though sporadic) problems, I'm really kind of surprised they haven't been addressed yet. I'm hoping that means Dwight is working on some nice additions to go with the bug fixes, but I won't hold my breath on that. The game is pretty stacked as-is, but I wouldn't complain about more!

#6534 2 years ago
Quoted from bazou:

I'm a bit freaked out
I have my pin up & running for like a month, my first one ever
I have around 300 games in
Today I just realized those wear... It seems quite serious to me for this little amount of games!
Is that something I will be able to restore when I want to sell it??
Is there something I can do to limit this, besides being a better player and shooting less often and those damn targets when aiming for the left ramp??
My balls are the following, from the 1st game onwards: https://pu-parts.com/1-1-16-high-gloss-pinball-standard-size-low-magnetic_3
[quoted image][quoted image]

Some target decal wear is to be expected. Pinball is a very physical game, there will be wear, and decals can be considered a maintenance item, same as rubbers, balls, etc. Many times Stern even includes a few spares in the goodie bag. I can't remember off the top of my head if TMNT included them or not. If not, you could always request some from them. 300 games seems a little soon to show that kind of decal wear, but really it's not a big deal. I'm not seeing the problem in your second picture?

#6536 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I think the magnet "wear"? Honestly, in my opinion, neither of those are really even issues to worry about. That target is zoomed in very close, no one is ever actually looking that closely. I know it's easier said than done, just my two cents.

Ahh...yeah if he's worried about the magnet getting scratched up, that just happens. No worries here. Pinball machines simply do not stay perfect...it's not in their nature.

1 week later
#6601 2 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I've personally never liked the feel of silicone. I've got rubber on everything for this reason.

I agree...especially Superbands. Sure are pretty, but man...almost unplayable. I do have to say that Pinball Life's "Perfect Play" is an exception. I tried a set out awhile back and they are great...very close to real rubber. Maybe a little grippy at first, but after a few plays they break in (or more likely get slightly dirty) and feel great. Worth a shot if you are ever interested in something that looks better and lasts longer.

#6604 2 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I've tried them all. Titans and Perfect Play get the "bounce" more correct for me compared to Superbands, as you noted. The thing that still throws me off is the coefficient of friction between the steel ball and silicone just feels different to me versus rubber, and it throws of my shot trajectory off the flippers. This trajectory change may be slight in some cases, but it's enough for me to notice and I have difficulty compensating. Now if I just made a wholesale change across the board on all my games to Titans or Perfect Play, I'm sure I could compensate for this trajectory change, but man... I've got so many pins I've have to make that change to, it would be a pain.

Yeah...I definitely understand. I agree it's the friction that makes the big difference. That is where I felt like Perfect Play "wore in" after a bit. The first few games I was ready to take them back off, but after a few days I can go between one with those on and one with regular rubber and not notice much if any difference. But your mileage may definitely vary, and I can see why rubber is still king for many people.

Superbands are a hard no though. When I see those on a machine at a tournament or league I cringe. I can't for the life of me see how people can use them. Just terrible.

2 weeks later
#6702 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Installed a Pinwoofer Super Kit last night on TMNT. It's definitely a substantial sound upgrade! Bass and back box speaker clarity are significantly improved. Besides the actual end result I was most impressed by just how well the entire kit is put together and layed out. This is probably the most professional put together mod I've seen since joining this hobby.
On another note I put a piece of Invisiglass from Dialed In on TMNT premium. I noticed a lot of glare from the back box / translite to the point it made seeing the center upper playfield area difficult to see. Invisiglass helped cut down the glare a good amount. The standard glass went into Dialed In for now lol.

You might already know this, but on SPIKE games you can dim the backbox during gameplay as low as you want it. I set mine to 15%. Full bright for attract mode, no glare during play. It's an awesome feature. Not saying it's as good as Invisiglass, but it's free!

#6742 2 years ago

I spent my Memorial Day weekend replacing my grainy playfield with a beautiful new one. I’ve done a lot of projects over the year, but this was my first completely unpopulated swap.

It took about 28 hours total. There were definitely a few lessons learned (do not reuse t-nuts. Ugh), and I’m sure I could have done a few things quicker and easier.

Only had a couple issues after finishing. A solder joint had broken on the three opto board for the van lock. Not sure how that happened but it took awhile to track that down and fix it. And the backboard ended up shifted to the right just enough to make the right ramp stop post (which comes through the backboard) get hung up on the ramp opening. Rather than try to shift all the holes on the backboard, I elongated the holes on the stop post mechanism so I could shift that over a hair. Only took 1/16” or so.

Other than that it looks great and plays awesome. I need to tweak the right ramp return a bit for a smoother feed, and my turned van needs to be mounted better, but that’s it. It was a heck of a project but I’m very happy with it.

Here are a couple comparison pics. Huge difference in print quality.
1BDFB049-893D-4F0E-B0EE-2A7FB44736E5 (resized).jpeg1BDFB049-893D-4F0E-B0EE-2A7FB44736E5 (resized).jpeg3CD44EBB-ED34-488C-BDF2-1C5F36E45060 (resized).jpeg3CD44EBB-ED34-488C-BDF2-1C5F36E45060 (resized).jpeg53744693-34CE-4E0E-B328-089453411C53 (resized).jpeg53744693-34CE-4E0E-B328-089453411C53 (resized).jpeg

#6745 2 years ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

How did you go about getting the new one? Through stern? Or did you buy a new one? Mine is a bit on the grainy side.

My distributor was able to get one from Stern. It may not be quick, but I haven't had any issue which Stern didn't stand behind and make right. Sure I would have preferred a populated playfield which would have taken about 27.75 hours less to swap, but I am thankful to have gotten this one.

#6750 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks! Just get extra worried when it comes to the playfields being made today.
To Jediturtle, glad you got a new playfield. Great job on the swap!

Thanks! Yeah your playfield looks fine to me. My original looked like it was colored with crayon. I haven't heard of any pooling or other issues with TMNT, but some of the first run (I think it was pro only, but not positive) ended up with grainy art, as if the printer were running out of ink. If you can't tell immediately, I would say you have a good one!

1 week later
#6819 2 years ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

Snagging a new playfield from Stern (for free and they were pretty easy to work with!) due to poor print quality. Not sure what ill do with it quite yet as I know I don't have the smarts to take everything off the old one and put on a new one.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I just did that swap a couple weeks ago. It's a big project, but if you take your time (and a ton of pics), it's really not bad. I've been in the hobby a long time, and am no stranger to projects, but I still learned a lot doing it. And now I'm thrilled to have a playfield that does Zombie Yeti's artwork justice. It really makes a huge difference. I smile every time I look at it now. I highly recommend jumping in...nothing to lose but 25 or so hours of your time.

#6850 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinman502:

Curious to see if anyone else is having the same bugs as me I have an LE and have been experiencing three glitches that I know of jack pot during turtle multi ball turns off and reset no music during final battle which I have heard of these two happening to others but the other one which is literally caused me to stop playing mine is it always wants to register six balls in the ball trough even though there is only supposed to be five and three in the turtle van so it will not load a ball in the shooter lane and constantly Dose ball searches but when I stick my finger in the ball through to trip the Opto it acts as if the ball drained and gives end of ball bonus then it will load another one as long as I keep the Opto tripped

First two are bugs. Third is an issue with your machine. You have a switch stuck or not registering correctly somewhere either in the trough or van. Make sure they are clean, tight, connected, good solder, adjusted right, etc. Or as stated above, magnetized balls could be sticking together and not sitting exactly where they belong to register correctly.

#6853 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinman502:

It has nothing to do with magnetism if you put a ninth ball in it will play normally during the glitch the problem is it keeps wanting to register six balls in the through like they belong there like the pro

I'm not familiar enough with the prem/LE to know where it wants balls to be, but I would double check that you aren't accidentally running pro code.

#6854 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinman502:

All my switches are fine balls are not magnetized literally all started happening after code 1.41 update not a problem before haven’t even played 10 games since the update

All the more reason for me to suspect that you accidentally put the pro code in...

#6856 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinman502:No pro code 1.41 LE

Have you tried reloading the code, or trying a new SD card?

1 month later
#7125 2 years ago

I am going to copy/paste some of my code thoughts from two posts in a different thread (was a Stranger Things TMNT comparison thread):

I love Dwight, but I think he went overboard on the hurry-ups with TMNT, and based too many of them on the upper flipper shots. The scoring is also very imbalanced versus the difficulty of pulling off some of the goals. The actual modes (episodes) are good, but need to have the scoring redone. I do not think there is any way to boost your scoring in them other than if double playfield is running when you finish it. It's always 500k or 1m pretty much. Blah. Foot 123 combo feels amazing, but comes up way too often. That upper loop is crazy hard to hit on demand, and not one but two of the major goals require hitting three of them in a row, and for max Krang combo hit a side ramp on top of it. The other you have to pull off in multiball...and not just any time but at the right time. Good luck. That's just too much. Final Battle is fairly easily obtainable, but Cowabunga...forget it for mortals. The goals are just too difficult, especially Max Krang and Triple Mondo. Just way too many hurry-ups requiring too many very difficult shots to complete. They are all good in theory, but in the real world with this unforgiving of a playfield, it takes some of the fun out of it. And the button smash mode didn't really need to show it's face again after Star Wars...

On the other hand there are some absolutely amazing things about the code. Great moments and light shows...definitely Dwight specialties. The wide variety of modes is awesome. Co-op, 3 v 1, Final Battle Challenge, Half Shell Challenge (!!!), etc...so many fun ways to play. Good variety in the episodes...very cool that a couple of them need to be "unlocked" by playing a prequel mode. The training is an awesome concept, but the later levels fall into the insane difficulty level trap, making them almost impossible for most to benefit from. I like the many paths you can take in the game, and the choices throughout (which turtle, what toppings for pizza multiball, which episodes to bring into team-up, etc). Good mini-wizard in Team-Up (though I am terrible at it), and Final Battle with the multiple stages is also great (but fix the damn voices already...been an embarrassingly long lived bug). Lots of other stuff to love in the game too, do not get me wrong.

So yeah...TMNT is more of a mixed bag to me. I LOVE parts of it, but strongly dislike others. I am hoping Dwight revisits it with a code clean-up along the lines of what he did with GoT. There is a great game hiding in there, but it's bogged down a bit right now with some odd code choices. So far the good still outweighs the bad for me and keeps it in the collection, but that might not last forever.

I think TMNT can be "saved" with a good code update, and Dwight has a pretty solid history of doing that after a game has been around for awhile. I remain hopeful that he will bring it up to its potential at some point. In this case most of the base structure is good, it just could use some work to really nail it. The scoring obviously needs a major redo, and the multitude of side goals required for Cowabunga need to be tempered a bit. Right now they are too repetitive (oh look, another hurry up that requires difficult upper flipper shots), too high of a risk vs reward, and not well matched to the difficulty of the playfield.

I would also like to see a bigger differentiation between the two main multiballs. I do not like that they both use Mondo Jackpots and Jackpoto Grandes. Either split them up, or better yet, eliminate the Triple Mondo requirement, leaving only the Grande as the Cowabunga requirement for Pizza. Remove both from Turtle Power and have the Add-A-Ball shot be considered the super for that mode and a requirement for Cowabunga.

Turtle Perks and training are great, but could use some revisiting, especially the difficulty and risk/reward for the later levels. Neutrino Pizza Party is a very cool mode, but doesn't really fit as a reward for leveling up. I would move that to something like a pizza collection reward (maybe 2 or 3 rounds of pizza eating contest? That would make me care about smashing that button...). Then put in something more thematic to training. Maybe a sparring battle-royale mode against your brothers?

Give me a reason (besides Cowabunga, which is unobtainable to most anyway) to care about weapons hurry-ups, Foot 123, and Krang Combos. Playfield multipliers? Mode score boosting? Big points at least? Something to make them worth the effort.

#7134 2 years ago

Also...having just gotten there for the second or third time ever (after hundreds of tries), Neutrino Pizza Party needs a nice long F'ing Ball Save! Total BS to work that hard to get somewhere only to drain out instantly. The hurry-up stand-ups and then ramp shot to start it are bad enough if you do not hit them quick enough, but then to actually hit it only to drain. Infuriating. And not in a good "makes me want to try again" way. In a I'm selling this crap kind of way.

There is so much good in this game, but so much BS like this too. The biggest thing, besides the many mostly meaningless and repetitive distraction goals, is the code difficulty just isn't balanced with the playfield difficulty. This is something Dwight nailed perfectly on SW and GoT, but really didn't hit here. Too many hurry-ups. Too many goals that are basically the same and just not worth doing. Too high of risk vs reward. I'm to the point where I WANT to love the game, but it's becoming harder and harder. If it weren't for the theme, art, and some satisfying shots, it would be down the road already. Might be time to let it go there. I could always rebuy if Dwight does a major revisit to the code like he did with GB or GoT. Because honestly, it needs it. Keep the episodes through Final Battle, but all the peripheral stuff needs to be rethought and reworked in my opinion. Some good ideas in theory, but in execution, with this playfield, not so good in actuality.

Sorry, rant over. I just REALLY want this game to be the home run is should be. I know he CAN do it...I just hope he DOES do it.

#7148 2 years ago
Quoted from azur3:

[quoted image]
My sling shot rubbers broke after around 1000 plays. Is this considered normal wear or something to talk about to my distributor? My GoT LE has 1400 plays and no signs of rubber failure..

Rubbers are a normal wear item. Maybe if it would have failed in like 10 plays I'd mention it to my distributor. But 1k? Buy new rubbers.

1 week later
#7171 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_H:

Geez I wish there was a ball save timer on episodes. Most of the time I enter a mode and I shit the bed! lol

Ha...just wait until you go through all the work to get to Neutrino Pizza Party and then get an instant cheap drain. Now THAT is a burn it with fire moment!

Almost sold mine this past week because quite honestly I'm sick of some of the crap with this code. Got cold feet and decided to wait it out a bit longer and hope Dwight comes through eventually like he's done with many of his games. I love about half of it, but really dislike the other half. If it wasn't for the huge nostalgia factor and some great feeling shots, I would have gone through with it. Fingers crossed!

#7173 2 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Yeah... that sucks. Getting through all of the training requirements to qualify it, then instant cheap drain. Pretty much every time I get there.

Yeah, or if you do not get the instadrain, but can't hit the blue shots quickly enough, it times out super quick. Much like so many other things in the game, why even bother?

3 weeks later
#7324 2 years ago

Where do you guys buy the default flipper rubbers from?
I've been using some others for a while but they are super bouncy. I'd like to switch back to the default ones and the ones I have are all worn out from the previous owner.

Pinball Life has standard rubber in red or black. They also have their own version of silicone, Perfect Play. I find them to be very close to regular rubber, especially after they break in for a few games. They definitely aren't bouncier than rubber..slightly less bounce if anything. I hate superbands and most other non-rubbers, but Perfect Plays are pretty nice in most games.

#7355 2 years ago

Anywhere else a good source to buy the default flipper rubbers? Pinball Life trying to charge me 16 bucks to ship 6 rubbers. What?!?

Pretty much any pinball vendor is going to have standard flipper rubber. But shipping is probably going to suck at all of them.

Looks like Game Room Guys sells rubber on Amazon with free shipping, but the rubbers themselves are hilariously overpriced. ($10 for 2, LOL!).

#7361 2 years ago
Quoted from Norcalpin:

Is there a mode in the game that causes the sling shots to pop without being hit? Just random activation. If not, has anyone had this issue before? Eventually they stopped which makes me think it was mode activated?

No mode. Sounds like your sling switches need to be adjusted. If they are gapped too tight, certain vibrations can set them off. Pretty common pinball maintenance to regap them. Over time the ball bashing into them can bend the switch blades a little.

#7386 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Just hold the flipper BEFORE selecting your Turtle. Pretty easy workaround, though a nice code change would be to change your turtle on flipper release, rather than the flipper press.

I always just go one to the right of the one I want, then hit left and hold. Have to do this on lots of games...Metallica stands out to get the song you want plus the super skill shot. Pretty much any game where you make a selection and have a SSS available will have this same issue. (err...except Iron Maiden, which really surprised me that it doesn't move the song unless you let go of the button before plunging....genius but kind of throws me off from being so used to the standard way, LOL).

#7415 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

After catching up on the first 60 pages of this group and not remembering seeing an answer, I emailed Stern last night:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I received and set up my TMNT Pro tonight and am having an issue. Here are the symptoms:
-While in attract mode/idle, the machine will start repeatedly triggering the lock release. That lasts about thirty seconds, then it stops and gives the onscreen error "Upper Lock Device Malfunction" (see videos)
-During the game the lock doesn't always release the balls properly
For troubleshooting I've done this:
-Manually triggering the coil in the test menu works 100%
-Manually checking the three optos in the test menu works 100%
-The balls are minimally magnetized, no more so than brand new balls I also have. Which probably isn't relevant, as...
I figured it might have been a flaky opto so I left the machine in Switch Test mode and sure enough, the lock started repeatedly triggering and "Upper Lock 1" was triggering with no input from me. (There were no balls in the machine)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone here have any wisdom? I've seen similar issues, but they involve balls. I think this is likely an opto issue.

The game must thing there is a ball there, which would point to the optos. I see they tested fine for you initially, but it could be one of those annoying intermittent things. Maybe a slight short, flaky connection, or marginal solder joint on the opto board? I'd look that board and connectors over well, reseat the connectors, and maybe reflow some solder joints on it. Look for anything that could be shorting in the area. Also make sure the optos are nice and snug and not slightly blocked by anything. And sometimes, optos just are bad. In that case, Stern will replace them, or they are cheap enough if you have to order yourself. Good luck! Intermittent issues can be super annoying to track down.

#7417 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I refuse to reflow solder joints on a one hour old pin

I mean, I get your point but in my book it's worth a try. Something I can fix myself in 5 minutes vs a week or more to get a replacement is always worth trying. And even if it doesn't work at least you narrowed down the issue a bit instead of just throwing new parts at it. Everyone has a different comfort level though, and I'm sure Stern will help you out. Hope you get it fixed up quick!

#7445 2 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

How are you guys backhanding the left ramp? I've had it for a week and the flipper doesn't have enough power (at 250 default) unless there's energy from the moving ball already. It gets near the top, but then comes back down. My pitch is at 6.5.

Do you have weird flipper rubbers on it? It's not an EASY shot, but completely doable at 6.5, at least with real rubber or perfect plays. Not sure about others, but different rubbers can definitely change shots. Level left to right?

1 week later
#7556 2 years ago
Quoted from Grayont:

I’m aware of this feature, thanks for the clarification. But what me and s000m are talking about is a non intended rattling that occurs just above the upper flipper when shooting the left orbit. The ball hits something and rattles/bounces around and loses all its momentum and falls back, not making the orbit shot at all. The post comes up intentionally on a successful orbit shot where you get credit for hitting the switch. What we’re talking about is just lots of rejects at the entrance to the orbit, just above the upper flipper, near where the balls exit for ninja pizza multiball. It’s probably just part of the game and hitting it too hard makes it rattle.

That's definitely not normal. That shot should be smooth as silk, as are nearly all the shots in this machine. I would do as shaub mentioned and "reseat" your ball guide and also check for any stray wiring or anything hanging in the ball path. It's a fairly tight shot, but a good shot should be perfectly smooth.

11 months later
#9577 1 year ago
Quoted from Sonikthehedgehog:

Well… putting new rubbers on and accidentally dropped a ramp on the playfield. Now I have a big gouge in my playfield art and it’s definitely in the most noticeable area. Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about repairing this? I’m assuming I’m SOL as this is definitely out of my wheel house.[quoted image]

It's a little hard to tell for sure zoomed in that much, but it looks like that might be one of the grainy printing playfields? If so, maybe you can get Stern to replace it (for being grainy, not for the gouge). Otherwise if you do not mind a grainy playfield, maybe someone would sell you their old one that they replaced already. I have mine laying around here yet. I'd rather not ship it, but if you are desperate maybe we could work something out.

edit: Just noticed you have an LE...my old playfield is a pro. Not sure if there are any differences on the bare playfields themselves or not.

#9604 1 year ago

Man...I am really wanting a TMNT back now seeing the code love. Regret getting rid of my pro. If anyone wants to trade a premium or a pro+cash for a like new Led Zepp premium, let's talk!

#9647 1 year ago

I do not mind the scoring being low overall since scores vs other machines really doesn't matter. It just needs to be balanced within itself. It's awesome that the mode scoring has been bumped up, but honestly the main modes have never been my issue with the game. It's all the side stuff that needs some love in my opinion.

Here's a partial copy/paste of a post I made a year ago about my thoughts on the code. All this said, after a year I am missing the heck out of the game, and hoping to have another one soon. The latest code updates have really pushed it back into my want list. A few more tweaks and this could be one of the best in my opinion.

----------------------

(Keep in mind this was a year ago...and great strides have been made since! I was also a little salty when I wrote this, but I think I had a few good points, LOL.)

I think TMNT can be "saved" with a good code update, and Dwight has a pretty solid history of doing that after a game has been around for awhile. I remain hopeful that he will bring it up to its potential at some point. In this case most of the base structure is good, it just could use some work to really nail it. The scoring obviously needs a major redo, and the multitude of side goals required for Cowabunga need to be tempered a bit. Right now they are too repetitive (oh look, another hurry up that requires difficult upper flipper shots), too high of a risk vs reward, and not well matched to the difficulty of the playfield.

I would also like to see a bigger differentiation between the two main multiballs. I do not like that they both use Mondo Jackpots and Jackpoto Grandes. Either split them up, or better yet, eliminate the Triple Mondo requirement, leaving only the Grande as the Cowabunga requirement for Pizza. Remove both from Turtle Power and have the Add-A-Ball shot be considered the super for that mode and a requirement for Cowabunga. (edit: I still really like this idea. It would not only remove one of the biggest roadblocks to Cowabunga, but it would differentiate the multiballs nicely. It just doesn't make sense to have the same jackpot goals for both.)

Turtle Perks and training are great, but could use some revisiting, especially the difficulty and risk/reward for the later levels. Neutrino Pizza Party is a very cool mode, but doesn't really fit as a reward for leveling up. I would move that to something like a pizza collection reward (maybe 2 or 3 rounds of pizza eating contest? That would make me care about smashing that button...). Then put in something more thematic to training. Maybe a sparring battle-royale mode against your brothers? (edit: Making Neutrino more obtainable was a huge plus in my opinion. I still think thematically it could be moved and a sparring mode as a training reward would be awesome, but I'm pretty happy with it now as-is. Training further does have nice perks, if you are good enough, but you can ignore it and not miss anything cool now.)

Give me a reason (besides Cowabunga, which is unobtainable to most anyway) to care about weapons hurry-ups, Foot 123, and Krang Combos. Playfield multipliers? Mode score boosting? Big points at least? Something to make them worth the effort. (edit: This is what the game needs most at this point in my opinion.)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 7,999.00
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grindstone, PA
$ 16.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-club2020-cowabunga-its-pizza-time?tu=Jediturtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.