(Topic ID: 271489)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Club(Stern 2020): Cowabunga! It’s Pizza Time!

By Tuxedomask23

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,044 posts
  • 828 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 hours ago by Afty86
  • Topic is favorited by 335 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Which model are you going to purchase”

• Pro 285 votes
    50%
  • Premium 166 votes
    29%
  • LE 120 votes
    21%

(571 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_084026 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image.png
PXL_20240413_183258513.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_3649 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3648 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5713 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5712 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124621 (resized).jpg
SystemJPinball.ca_1_TMNT-MenuCard-PremLE-Mean1.1_example-3 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 241.
#3951 3 years ago
Quoted from RoyalJack:

Going to check now lol
EDIT: I forgot, I did find that bag, it had some keychains in it.

Damn...sorry. I figured it was a long shot these days. It's definitely worth at least checking with your distributor and Stern though. At least as of a few years ago they would send "freebie" bags of stuff to tournament directors to give out at events, and there were almost always random plastics, target decals, stuff like that mixed in. So hopefully they do have spares available. I wouldn't hold my breath, but it's worth asking before dropping the money on a full set.

#3952 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Damn...sorry. I figured it was a long shot these days. It's definitely worth at least checking with your distributor and Stern though. At least as of a few years ago they would send "freebie" bags of stuff to tournament directors to give out at events, and there were almost always random plastics, target decals, stuff like that mixed in. So hopefully they do have spares available. I wouldn't hold my breath, but it's worth asking before dropping the money on a full set.

Thankfully I'm not the person with the broken plastics, I just got excited about a goodie bag lol.

#3953 3 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I’m having an issue where my back left lighting seems to be “rebooting”? It will run foe a couple of seconds then do a bit of a startup cycle and fail over and over. It is happening in attract mode and in game. I also notice the pizza will jerk just a bit at the end of the sequence. Has anyone seen something like this?

Mine was doing this right out of the box. STILL waiting on my replacement glider assembly after 1.5 months. You can still play your game, just unplug the glider assembly from under the playfield and center the glider.

#3954 3 years ago

What does everyone use to clean and polish the metal on their machines. I'm still learning. Did my first [simple, did not remove anything from playfield] clean and wax last night (Novus 1 followed by Mill wax Playfield cleaner/polish). But, I'd like to have that metal shine like new.

IMG_20201001_140929 (resized).jpgIMG_20201001_140929 (resized).jpg
#3955 3 years ago
Quoted from CypherPinball:

What does everyone use to clean and polish the metal on their machines. I'm still learning. Did my first [simple, did not remove anything from playfield] clean and wax last night (Novus 1 followed by Mill wax Playfield cleaner/polish). But, I'd like to have that metal shine like new.
[quoted image]

If you want the lane guides to shine, you have to remove them and buff them out with red then white rouge. I just took a cheap Harbor Freight grinding wheel and replaced the grinding wheels with buffing wheels. Red rouge on the left, white on the right. You can make lane guides mirror finish, and if you do that and get rid of the grain, ball trails take a LOT longer to reappear.

Here's a ToM I did a long time ago. It really does make the lane guides shine like chrome with a mirror-like finish.

ToM_Lane_Guide (resized).jpgToM_Lane_Guide (resized).jpg

These days ball trails don't bother me that much, but if I restore another machine, the ball guides get this kind of treatment.

#3956 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If you want the lane guides to shine, you have to remove them and buff them out with red then white rouge. I just took a cheap Harbor Freight grinding wheel and replaced the grinding wheels with buffing wheels. Red rouge on the left, white on the right. You can make lane guides mirror finish, and if you do that and get rid of the grain, ball trails take a LOT longer to reappear.
Here's a ToM I did a long time ago. It really does make the lane guides shine like chrome with a mirror-like finish.
[quoted image]
These days ball trails don't bother me that much, but if I restore another machine, the ball guides get this kind of treatment.

Thanks, and that does look great.

#3957 3 years ago

So shiny can’t even tell it is there.

Quoted from PinMonk:

[quoted image]

#3958 3 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Stern should be embarrassed to have that mental piece for a diverter on the pro. Someone should come up with a decal or mod for it.
[quoted image]

Mezel mods has an awesome glider. I installed it on my Pro. Must have as are the mutagen jars!

#3959 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Mezel mods has an awesome glider. I installed it on my Pro. Must have as are the mutagen jars!

Yes, mutagen jar is a must!

#3960 3 years ago

My glider is messed up. Trying to calibrate it and it will only let me adjust the center position. When moving it to any of the left or right positions and then selecting enter to calibrate it, the diverter just moves back to the center. Saw someone else post this earlier but didnt see if this was normal or messed up. Seems broken to me, cant find any other way to try and set any of the other left or right positions. I can hear a ticking/grinding noise from the glider in attract mode as if the glider is trying to move but cant. The action button also only seems to move it after the game plays for a little bit - can anyone confirm that the glider is supposed to move left or right immediately upon ball launch when you hit the button? I.e. you dont have to hit a shot or anything specific to move the glider with the action button?

#3961 3 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Mine was doing this right out of the box. STILL waiting on my replacement glider assembly after 1.5 months. You can still play your game, just unplug the glider assembly from under the playfield and center the glider.

Wtf, why is it taking stern so long? My glider is still working, it just does this flickering thing with the lights. Should I be expecting the glider to fail completely?

#3962 3 years ago
Quoted from PinHead50:

Has anyone done the glider servo replacement from amazon? I am looking at trying to replace it myself. I dont know what sterns deal is but still dont have an ETA for a new glider after a month. Looks like its a straight forward motor swap.
amazon.com link »

This is crazy that you would have to rebuild it yourself. Is this a problem with all Prem and LE machines?

Is it kind of a matter of time situation or just a fluke? I guess if we’re talking about the prior I wouldn’t mind talking to an RC expert and understanding what kind of servo would be the longest lasting.

#3963 3 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Wtf, why is it taking stern so long? My glider is still working, it just does this flickering thing with the lights. Should I be expecting the glider to fail completely?

I'd just center the glider then unplug it. Should solve your lighting issue until you get a replacement.

Quoted from Aniraf:

This is crazy that you would have to rebuild it yourself. Is this a problem with all Prem and LE machines?
Is it kind of a matter of time situation or just a fluke? I guess if we’re talking about the prior I wouldn’t mind talking to an RC expert and understanding what kind of servo would be the longest lasting.

Pretty sure it's a matter of time issue because Stern likely bought the cheapest, crappiest servos known to China and now it's biting them in the ass. Small chance it was @xaqery's software that ran the servo out of spec, but I think that's unlikely knowing how meticulous he is.

#3964 3 years ago
Quoted from PinHead50:

Has anyone done the glider servo replacement from amazon? I am looking at trying to replace it myself. I dont know what sterns deal is but still dont have an ETA for a new glider after a month. Looks like its a straight forward motor swap.
amazon.com link »

I would not say it is straight forward. For example, is the stock servo digital or analog (I didn't look).

Rob

#3965 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I would not say it is straight forward. For example, is the stock servo digital or analog (I didn't look).
Rob

Shame they did not use a small solenoid instead.

#3966 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Pretty sure it's a matter of time issue because Stern likely bought the cheapest, crappiest servos known to China and now it's biting them in the ass. Small chance it was xaqery's software that ran the servo out of spec, but I think that's unlikely knowing how meticulous he is.

That isn’t what I wanted to hear, but it is exactly what I expected to hear.

#3967 3 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

My glider was working perfectly but when moving, it would make my back half of the playfield lights reset. I can only hope that it's taking Stern so long because they are actively looking for a servo replacement VS sending out the same servos that will keep causing problems.

#3968 3 years ago

Is this the first game Stern has used these types of servos? As soon as I saw they were using these back at launch I knew they’d be trouble. I used to own an AMH which used one for the ghost - mine literally burnt out (Like smoke from under the pf) after 50 plays.

Usually they would use a coil or a proper motor for a diverter like this. Never seen them use these cheap Rc car servos. And with the amount of issues let’s hope they don’t use them again.

#3969 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Is this the first game Stern has used these types of servos? As soon as I saw they were using these back at launch I knew they’d be trouble. I used to own an AMH which used one for the ghost - mine literally burnt out (Like smoke from under the pf) after 50 plays.
Usually they would use a coil or a proper motor for a diverter like this. Never seen them use these cheap Rc car servos. And with the amount of issues let’s hope they don’t use them again.

I owned an ACNC and I thought the same thing. Nothing but trouble and I don't want to ever buy a pin that has servos again.

#3970 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

I owned an ACNC and I thought the same thing. Nothing but trouble and I don't want to ever buy a pin that has servos again.

Houdini used a servo to open/close the curtain at the stage. After a few initial hiccups that had to do with the programming for the servo, it seemed pretty reliable, but it was WAY more heavy duty than what Stern is using in TMNT. That glider lane change should have been a coil assembly.

#3971 3 years ago

Wow, signed up for stern insider and was hoping for a shirt.....got a hat, lanyard, pin and a sweet access card.............

#3972 3 years ago
Quoted from PinHead50:

Wow, signed up for stern insider and was hoping for a shirt.....got a hat, lanyard, pin and a sweet access card.............

What does it give you access to?

#3973 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Not a T-shirt haha. You can check it out on their site. Supposed to be things like game releases, inside info etc.

#3974 3 years ago

Howdy! Recently joined the Pro club and really enjoying it. One question to see if anyone else has dealt with this...my shooter rod doesn't reach the ball when it's resting in the trough. The tip doesn't extend past the auto plunger. If you full plunge it barely launches the ball onto the playfield. Any ideas on how to fix this? I can't imagine the shooter rod is the wrong length. Is the auto plunger too far forward? It's not a huge deal, as you can hit the button to launch, but still.

Thanks!

#3975 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Not much! Email notification of code updates.

#3976 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

The diverter is multi positional, so it can't just be a coil. It doesn't just divert, but it also stops the ball.

Rob

#3977 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

The diverter is multi positional, so it can't just be a coil. It doesn't just divert, but it also stops the ball.
Rob

Up-down for stopping like on the pro. The L/R coil for the diverting. It would have been more reliable. Ask The Shadow.

#3978 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Up-down for stopping like on the pro. The L/R coil for the diverting. It would have been more reliable. Ask The Shadow.

Right now John Borg is facepalming after reading this. You just can't spew stuff and claim it's more reliable without a shred of evidence. The Shadow diverters were not without their own problems, like breaking the ramps for example. I know all about Shadow because I have owned one in the past. You're using up 3 drivers, 3 coils and their brackets to run your design instead of a single auxiliary board controlling a simple servo. Yes, it would appear a few people have had issues, but it's not everyone. I've had bad servos in Horizon Hobby products like cars and airplanes. Brand name JR stuff. It happens there can be defects, but generally they are reliable.

Rob

#3979 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Right now John Borg is facepalming after reading this. You just can't spew stuff and claim it's more reliable without a shred of evidence. The Shadow diverters were not without their own problems, like breaking the ramps for example. I know all about Shadow because I have owned one in the past. You're using up 3 drivers, 3 coils and their brackets to run your design instead of a single auxiliary board controlling a simple servo. Yes, it would appear a few people have had issues, but it's not everyone. I've had bad servos in Horizon Hobby products like cars and airplanes. Brand name JR stuff. It happens there can be defects, but generally they are reliable.
Rob

I've owned multiple Shadows over the years. It's one of my favorite pins. And yeah, SOME shadows broke ramps from the diverter action, but it happened over DECADES, not days. It's the Stern difference.

The $heckel-$aving $ervo is just not a great choice for that mech.

You might be able to get away with 3 drivers and 2 coils for a more reliable mech design if you used a EOS switch and a dual-wound coil. But it doesn't matter because the servo is what we have and time travel is observational so we can't change it anyway, we can just watch the mistake genesis over and over, and that's no fun.

#3980 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

Coils are extremely reliable - it’s what the whole pinball industry has been based in for what....70 years? If you want a fail safe mech, you use a coil. Everything else is less reliable than a coil. Servos are good for consumer hobby’s, but for commercial equipment where you need a failsafe mech, it’s coils.

But it’s more expensive to use a coil, let alone 2 coils. No question that’s why a servo was used here.....bill of materials.

#3981 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You might be able to get away with 3 drivers and 2 coils for a more reliable mech design if you used a EOS switch and a dual-wound coil. But it doesn't matter because the servo is what we have and time travel is observational so we can't change it anyway, we can just watch the mistake genesis over and over, and that's no fun.

Yes, the design is the way it is and it is working fine on my game. If you don't own one, then I don't know why you are so concerned?

Nothing is ever perfect in the world of pinball.

Rob

#3982 3 years ago

i really want to get the center ramp anti airball plastic but it hasnt been available in the states yet....So many of my center ramp shots dont register because ball goes over the opto....

#3983 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

i really want to get the center ramp anti airball plastic but it hasnt been available in the states yet....So many of my center ramp shots dont register because ball goes over the opto....

Do you have it hit the up down stopper thing? If mine is going so fast it hits the bottom of that. I put the tape on the optos, that helps a bit. If I find it is still not registering I will try to make one out of the polycarbonate sheeting I have.

#3984 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Do you have it hit the up down stopper thing? If mine is going so fast it hits the bottom of that. I put the tape on the optos, that helps a bit. If I find it is still not registering I will try to make one out of the polycarbonate sheeting I have.

I have no clue what you are suggesting(sorry!). Mind showing pics?

#3985 3 years ago

The stopper that the pro has instead of the diverter. The ball sometimes hits the bottom of this even when it’s raised because it is not running along the wireform but airborne.

#3986 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Yes, the design is the way it is and it is working fine on my game. If you don't own one, then I don't know why you are so concerned?
Nothing is ever perfect in the world of pinball.
Rob

That servo is one of the reasons I went with a Pro rather than a Prem for TMNT. Concerned about the resale since I just bring them in to mod them then send them on their way. And just because yours is fine so far doesn't mean it will be anywhere near as durable and reliable as a coil-based design.

#3987 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That servo is one of the reasons I went with a Pro rather than a Prem for TMNT. Concerned about the resale since I just bring them in to mod them then send them on their way. And just because yours is fine so far doesn't mean it will be anywhere near as durable and reliable as a coil-based design.

Aren't there servos in tons of other STERN games tho? JP has the raptor gate and whatever controls the trex head, IMDN has the tomb entrance on the ramp and into the mummy lock and how many games have moving 3bank walls (SM, Tron, etc) just to name a few. Maybe their some other electronic motor; point is, you can get reliable electric drives that are not coils, just makes me wonder if on TMNT they really got crappy ones or if there was just a huge batch of bad ones from the supplier.

#3988 3 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Aren't there servos in tons of other STERN games tho? JP has the raptor gate and whatever controls the trex head, IMDN has the tomb entrance on the ramp and into the mummy lock and how many games have moving 3bank walls (SM, Tron, etc) just to name a few. Maybe their some other electronic motor; point is, you can get reliable electric drives that are not coils, just makes me wonder if on TMNT they really got crappy ones or if there was just a huge batch of bad ones from the supplier.

I hope stern fixes this. Such a great game.

#3989 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

I hope stern fixes this. Such a great game.

Ours works fine so far. If we think it will become an issue, we will just buy a few spares. No big deal. Game rocks! Looking forward to pinnys and tinny s this arvo!

#3990 3 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

There are lots of variables. Iron Maiden mummy lock is a motor with a wheel, as is the diverter assembly. No servos. A good motor is much more reliable than a servo in this price range.

I believe Stern just started using servos recently. Dunno about JP.

The point is whatever servo they're using in TMNT is not up to the task. Also servos can be affected by duty cycle and vibration, so add a shaker motor to regular pin vibration and stick a cheap servo near the middle of the machine and you're asking for trouble.

I plan to find out what servo they're using and see how cheap it really is. I'm expecting cheap. Very cheap.

#3991 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I so rarely hit this ramp at speed. But just had a game where I did and optos even half covered did not register. I will make a shield and post. Also when going fast the ball hits the bottom of this. And I checked whether the modded glider pulls the metal stop down. It doesn’t. So definitely air ball problem.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#3992 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

I so rarely hit this ramp at speed. But just had a game where I did and optos even half covered did not register. I will make a shield and post. Also when going fast the ball hits the bottom of this. And I checked whether the modded glider pulls the metal stop down. It doesn’t. So definitely air ball problem. [quoted image]

from what i can tell the ball travels so fast it hugs the side of the ramp and goes over the switch that recognizes the shot. am i right? Airball plastic should help this. On a medium speed shot its always fine. I typically go right ramp to center ramp and its pretty fast....

#3993 3 years ago

Template. Attaching to shield/switch leftmost bolt in shredder ramp behind (between ramp and nut) and front opto screws. I will use 0.8mm polycarbonate sheet as I used before. Easy to cut, clear and still looks good (see my earlier posts)
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#3994 3 years ago

Done

A8A16BCB-C233-46CA-85EE-39CC968655B7 (resized).jpegA8A16BCB-C233-46CA-85EE-39CC968655B7 (resized).jpeg
#3995 3 years ago

Hmm, I wonder if the right ramp on TMNT is the same between pro and premium? I have not had an issue with that opto not registering, but sometimes I think the ball hits the sign on the right ramp.

Rob

#3996 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Hmm, I wonder if the right ramp on TMNT is the same between pro and premium? I have not had an issue with that opto not registering, but sometimes I think the ball hits the sign on the right ramp.
Rob

It’s the centre ramp.

My first game to test hit the inner loop followed by the centre ramp at a million miles an hour. Worked! Registered the Krang combo.

Thing is I can never hit this sucker normally. So once in a thousand year event, and I can safely say this is the fix for the opto problem. Because the front of the shield is lifted high it does not cause ball rejects.

#3997 3 years ago

No issues on my pro ...everything registers as it sld even at warp speed as this game plays so fast. I went to play some of my other pins and they all feel pretty slow in comparison.

#3998 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

No issues on my pro ...everything registers as it sld even at warp speed as this game plays so fast. I went to play some of my other pins and they all feel pretty slow in comparison.

No 2 pins are the same. Others are having this problem as well. Anyway no problem no probs, if optos aren’t registering maybe this will fix it.

My right ramp was bricking and rejecting shots. Fixed with packer underneath and shield at entrance.

My left orbit was rejecting like crazy, fixed by bending the wire ball guide a little. Now smooth.

Right orbit too narrow as well as right ramp, slim post cover fixed it.

Pizza parlour rejects and airballs, level the pizza disc.

So I’ve had heaps of flow problems. Now that they’re fixed really enjoying this game.

I wonder if other people have played problem machines before they have been tweaked. Because I have read many reviews or comments where people have been dissatisfied with difficult shots and lack of flow. Shame because once these shots are fixed this game is awesome. It’s still hard but so much fun.

#3999 3 years ago

Just installed a shaker on our TMNT Pro.
I still have to update to the newest code?
Is their much difference in it?

#4000 3 years ago

Man I've owned this game since it was available and not 1 issue on my pro. Sorry to hear so many are having problems. Super annoying when paying 7k+.

And yes the game plays fast but it fair imo

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Jacksonville, FL
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,999.00
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 241.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-club2020-cowabunga-its-pizza-time/page/80?hl=retrogamerjp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.