(Topic ID: 271489)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Club(Stern 2020): Cowabunga! It’s Pizza Time!

By Tuxedomask23

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,061 posts
  • 829 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by System-J
  • Topic is favorited by 335 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Which model are you going to purchase”

• Pro 285 votes
    50%
  • Premium 167 votes
    29%
  • LE 120 votes
    21%

(572 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240423-005247 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240423-005259 (resized).png
20240415_084026 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image.png
PXL_20240413_183258513.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_3649 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3648 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5713 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5712 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124621 (resized).jpg
SystemJPinball.ca_1_TMNT-MenuCard-PremLE-Mean1.1_example-3 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,061 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 242.
#1551 3 years ago

LE 202. Hard to see due to lighting but def have pooling occurring by our Lair shot and down by the drain. Apron is too tight down there and digging in. With further inspection we now have chipping in the lair area. Not significant but def frustrating....

20200728_211216 (resized).jpg20200728_211216 (resized).jpg20200728_211340 (resized).jpg20200728_211340 (resized).jpg20200728_211244 (resized).jpg20200728_211244 (resized).jpg20200728_211322 (resized).jpg20200728_211322 (resized).jpg20200728_211803 (resized).jpg20200728_211803 (resized).jpg20200728_212109 (resized).jpg20200728_212109 (resized).jpg20200728_212725 (resized).jpg20200728_212725 (resized).jpg
#1552 3 years ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

LE 202. Hard to see due to lighting but def have pooling occurring by our Lair shot and down by the drain. Apron is too tight down there and digging in. With further inspection we now have chipping in the lair area. Not significant but def frustrating....
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Perfect pics. This is exactly what’s happening to my jp2 from June 2020. Unreal.

#1553 3 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Perfect pics. This is exactly what’s happening to my jp2 from June 2020. Unreal.

I had something similar with my bm66. It never chipped but did eventually by the penguin shot. Told myself I’ll never buy a nib again but I ended up with an Tmnt Le. Luckily it’s just the diverter issue for me that I fixed. I’m sure we will see more with pooling big and small

#1554 3 years ago

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks very much for sharing. Bad news but at least we know what to expect. That is just shit.

#1555 3 years ago

Anyone heard what they are half ass building this week? Pro or premium?

#1556 3 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

I had something similar with my bm66. It never chipped but did eventually by the penguin shot. Told myself I’ll never buy a nib again but I ended up with an Tmnt Le. Luckily it’s just the diverter issue for me that I fixed. I’m sure we will see more with pooling big and small

This is why this sh*t will never change.

Sorry man, no offence, but people are walking into this with eyes wide open at this point.

#1557 3 years ago

It’s a shit show man. My JP2 LE and NST LE don’t have this so why do they keep regressing on this? Have you emailed Stern?

#1558 3 years ago

I’ve been lucky - last ten LEs have had none of this chipping or pooling. My GB had the ghosting stern swapped though playfield. I just don’t understand why after appearing to have it resolved we see it again. Who runs manufacturing? time we had his head as a bash toy!

#1559 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I’ve been lucky - last ten LEs have had none of this chipping or pooling. My GB had the ghosting stern swapped though playfield. I just don’t understand why after appearing to have it resolved we see it again. Who runs manufacturing? time we had his head as a bash toy!

I really think the environmental angle of what the heat/humidity is when the playfields are made may be the key since there's no climate-controlled enviroment for the playfields to cure.

#1560 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I really think the environmental angle of what the heat/humidity is when the playfields are made may be the key since there's no climate-controlled enviroment for the playfields to cure.

How do other guys make playfields? Like CGC, same conditions as STERN.

#1561 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

How do other guys make playfields? Like CGC, same conditions as STERN.

Maybe they allow more cure time? Dunno.

#1562 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

CGC are still using the same method. They are still silk screening their playfields. No problems there!

#1563 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It could be as simple as adjusting the mix of the clear coat. If it is a 2-part auto clear, they sell different activators for different ambient temperature ranges. But it really seems to me that the high humidity is being soaked in and not allowing the clear to cure. It may be dry to the touch, but it is still elastic enough to deform from pressing playfield hardware against it. At a bare minimum, they need to climate control wherever the playfields are being sprayed at, and wherever the raw/finished playfields are being stored. This is not exactly a life-altering expenditure for a company like Stern.

#1564 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

It could be as simple as adjusting the mix of the clear coat. If it is a 2-part auto clear, they sell different activators for different ambient temperature ranges. But it really seems to me that the high humidity is being soaked in and not allowing the clear to cure. It may be dry to the touch, but it is still elastic enough to deform from pressing playfield hardware against it. At a bare minimum, they need to climate control wherever the playfields are being sprayed at, and wherever the raw/finished playfields are being stored. This is not exactly a life-altering expenditure for a company like Stern.

CGC do not have climate control and they do not have these issues. GCG are also located in the same city as Stern.

#1565 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

CGC do not have climate control and they do not have these issues. GCG are also located in the same city as Stern.

But again, perhaps they are allowing more time to cure.

#1566 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Very true...CGC isn't pushing 4 or more titles a year out. I am wondering if these playfields are run through any kind of curing oven, or is it just an air cure? Obviously the companies that have it figured out have a vested interest in NOT showing Stern how they do it. I still maintain that whatever clear system Stern uses is not compatible with their environmental conditions, or is not being adjusted to those conditions at the time of application. I am going to talk to a friend of mine who is in the automotive paint sales biz to see what his take on it is.

#1567 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It is a different process as far as I as m aware. GCG make their playfields the same way they have always made them. Remember when we used to buy Sterns before 2016 and the playfields were great?. that is where they came from, Chirchill.

#1568 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Very true...CGC isn't pushing 4 or more titles a year out. I am wondering if these playfields are run through any kind of curing oven, or is it just an air cure? Obviously the companies that have it figured out have a vested interest in NOT showing Stern how they do it. I still maintain that whatever clear system Stern uses is not compatible with their environmental conditions, or is not being adjusted to those conditions at the time of application. I am going to talk to a friend of mine who is in the automotive paint sales biz to see what his take on it is.

I am no expert on the clear or the clear process or playfield manufacture. You guys are way more switched on than I am with that. I only know what I saw in the factory.and what we have at home. The CGC playfields are very nice.

#1569 3 years ago
Quoted from nitroman28:

Anyone heard what they are half ass building this week? Pro or premium?

Pros ship this week. Probably all have issues too if JodyG is right about heat and humidity in factory. It’s been hot and humid for weeks. I am two hours away from canceling my pro and not happy about my JP.

#1570 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Cheap servos. Yours probably died. They are not built for the kind of duty being asked of them.

If those are the servos they’re using for the glider, you guys better stock up on some spares - they used those on Spookys AMH, and I burnt through a couple in the first month. Mind you it was on the ghost and it got a lot of work. Not sure how much work the glider gets, but it looks heavy for that servo.

And those Playfields......

Ffs Stern. Really?

#1571 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Not sure how much work the glider gets, but it looks heavy for that servo.

Imagine a location game. That button is active most of the time so players will just sit there and hit it over and over again. It will get lots of work for sure.

#1572 3 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

This is why this sh*t will never change.
Sorry man, no offence, but people are walking into this with eyes wide open at this point.

No worries, my tmnt is good so it was worth the gamble. They definitely have a lot to work on to get defects down

#1573 3 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

No worries, my tmnt is good so it was worth the gamble. They definitely have a lot to work on to get defects down

It is super fun - definitely getting one here, but will be waiting until January when the factory is nice and cool/dry to order mine!

#1574 3 years ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

It is super fun - definitely getting one here, but will be waiting until January when the factory is nice and cool/dry to order mine!

Probably a good choice. Looking back, any pin I had clear issues with were summer builds.

#1575 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Imagine a location game. That button is active most of the time so players will just sit there and hit it over and over again. It will get lots of work for sure.

There are other standard size servos out there that would be better replacements. But you need to be careful with some of them, as they may draw too much power and burn out whatever is powering them. I would determine what the actual failure is- gears or the internal motor. If it is the gears, just finding a standard metal gear servo isn't going to cost much money. If it is the motor stalling and burning out, well...that is more expensive and you really have to watch current draw if you go to a brushless model. My guess is they have this servo set up working against the endpoints, and the servo is constantly trying to push its way to the full endpoint and burning itself out. In the RC world, you have settings to dial the endpoints back...not an option here unless they can code that in somehow.

#1576 3 years ago

But every LE is already made? So if you try to find one you're taking a gamble?

#1577 3 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

4C96A5BD-F84D-43D3-AA5D-BD916AB987D1 (resized).jpeg4C96A5BD-F84D-43D3-AA5D-BD916AB987D1 (resized).jpeg
#1578 3 years ago

Lol Turtles is the #1 pinball game of all time now apparently

#1579 3 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

No. Pull pf partially out of game. Where its resting out in the front. Then take off the plastic guard above the turtle ramp that hides the diverter. U have to unscrew the diverter plunger off the back/behind pf first. Then put the diverter back in and take a small wrench and tight it back in. Make sure to adjust the diverter so it doesn't hit the ramp first before tightening. Should be an 8th of an inch gap between the ramp and the top part of the diverter when its open.
If you need help you can call my tech and he can step you through the whole process. PM me.
I had all your same issues. Once fixed its an incredible game! Nothing like this in years. Not since TWD imho.

So, trying to follow these instructions. Two pictures. First picture is with plastic removed to see area. I put temporary foam until I can get a more permanent solution. Like others, I had scratched ramp in my LE before even playing. Second picture is back of playfield backboard. See my picture of the back of the playfield. I assume you have to remove the coil assembly to get to the nut to tighten? Anyone else do this and had success? Any other tips on how to do this? Thanks.

2B1DF390-650F-4C10-B930-D6799B54146E_1_105_c (resized).jpeg2B1DF390-650F-4C10-B930-D6799B54146E_1_105_c (resized).jpeg330AA752-86CC-47E8-9AD8-0AC280A8BB2E_1_105_c (resized).jpeg330AA752-86CC-47E8-9AD8-0AC280A8BB2E_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
#1580 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

It’s a shit show man. My JP2 LE and NST LE don’t have this so why do they keep regressing on this? Have you emailed Stern?

I have not. The game is sitting like a brick right now since we are waiting on a new glider mech since ours stopped working and it effects the game by turning the lights off every 10 seconds and does not stop the ball at that place anymore. I don't have much trust in Stern to fix the playfield due to their inability to fix the hundreds of other playfields out there.

#1581 3 years ago

LE #349 reporting in with a build date of July 14th. The pizza spinner is very loud even with the glass on so something needs to be done with it. The goody bag seems sparse of content just like my EHOH.

Rob

#1582 3 years ago

Who posted the link to those upgraded servos? I can’t seem to spot the post although I do have my kids demanding my attention so there’s a good chance I’ve glanced past it half a dozen times.

#1583 3 years ago

So...

There's a pandemic

Locations aren't seeing much play

Operators aren't buying much lately

Collectors are losing confidence in Stern

The line was shut down for months

I won't pretend I know Stern's business or be all doom & gloom but I sure wouldn't want all the above factors in my shop.

You can tell a lot of the employees @ Stern love pinball. They probably aren't a fan of what's happening right now. I bet they worry a bit.

TMNT looks cool. I'm still following the game's progress with excitement. But I'm not gonna buy one. No more drama is needed in my life.

Good luck to those moving FW with their order knowing the risk of issues & lack of respectful resolutions.

#1584 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Who posted the link to those upgraded servos? I can’t seem to spot the post although I do have my kids demanding my attention so there’s a good chance I’ve glanced past it half a dozen times.

Here you go..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MU7TQV8

#1585 3 years ago

I can deal with the mechanical issues... even the nodes failing. But, after seeing the playfields, I'm really leaning to cancelling my premium. I went through this shit with my Ghostbusters and it sucked. Don't need to deal with that again. I thought this was resolved.

Oh well, looks like JJP will get this sale instead.

Sucks cause I really wanted this title. I think my kid wanted it even more than me.

#1586 3 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

I can deal with the mechanical issues... even the nodes failing. But, after seeing the playfields, I'm really leaning to cancelling my premium. I went through this shit with my Ghostbusters and it sucked. Don't need to deal with that again. I thought this was resolved.
Oh well, looks like JJP will get this sale instead.
Sucks cause I really wanted this title. I think my kid wanted it even more than me.

Yep my premium will probably b a nice used huo one down the road as I don't feel like taking a gamble.

#1587 3 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

Lol Turtles is the #1 pinball game of all time now apparently

Most new pins hit #1 it will fall to its appropriate place before long.

#1588 3 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

So...
There's a pandemic
I won't pretend I know Stern's business or be all doom & gloom but I sure wouldn't want all the above factors in my shop.
You can tell a lot of the employees @ Stern love pinball. They probably aren't a fan of what's happening right now. I bet they worry a bit.
TMNT looks cool. I'm still following the game's progress with excitement. But I'm not gonna buy one. No more drama is needed in my life.
Good luck to those moving FW with their order knowing the risk of issues & lack of respectful resolutions.

Every disti I've spoken with is sold out of almost everything and backordered on everything else. Stern can't make enough to meet demand currently. I've been debating cancelling my order but the truth is there is a line of people waiting behind me hoping I do.

#1589 3 years ago
Quoted from nitroman28:

Most new pins hit #1 it will fall to its appropriate place before long.

I mean if I remember correctly none of these hit the top 10: STh, Munsters, GotG, BKSOR, or Elvira. If it ships with really bad code it will take forever to move up.

If it has decent code with great art and theme then it will start in the Top 10 until a bunch of people rate it 1/10 because they own something else in the Top 10.

Rinse, Repeat.

#1590 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Every disti I've spoken with is sold out of almost everything and backordered on everything else. Stern can't make enough to meet demand currently. I've been debating cancelling my order but the truth is there is a line of people waiting behind me hoping I do.
[quoted image]

Yep, 3 distros i talked to has said the same that stern is back ordered on any popular pin and used sterns are selling at an all time high very quick. I got offered more for my Deadpool than I paid NIB. I love DP and didn’t sell because you can’t get another one nib for a while. If you want a Munsters or black knight you can get those nib but Deadpool, tmnt and JP are on back order from what I was told.

#1591 3 years ago

Regarding the playfield issues without knowing exactly what is happening in the manufacturing process none of us can know for sure what the causes are and Stern (or any company) will not be transparent about their failures or short comings.

I'm not in the Stern fan club although I do like many of their games. I also own a TMNT Pro.

I am familiar with manufacturing in general from conception to production, the upstream and downstream dependancies, and what gets affected by even the most minuscule of changes. Not to mention the after production support and warranty side. So sometimes reading suggestions and what it would cost to make improvements doesn't really mean that is the total expense considering how widespread that minor change may have effects.

Regardless, if they haven't made changes already they should and if the changes they have made are yielding these results than they are insufficient and more is needed.

I think the majority of members assumptions on temp/humidity as well as clear coat properties (type, activator, etc.) are definitely in the right ball park and are supported by the data. If what we have gathered as a group is accurate and the Pro playfields where made for an anticipated March release when the factory was closed than the time the factory sat idle allowed those playfields enough time to cure and is why we see so few problems with pros. Now that the factory is open and they're churning these machines out at a high rate is perhaps why we are seeing playfields that haven't had a chance to adequately cure before they are populated.

If this is true and the culprit is the sheer volume of machines being produced without proper time for things to cure then no matter what changes are required to remedy this it will incur costs. Not to mention manufacturing and workflow process changes (which equates to costs).

Maybe more time in a curing oven (if they have one), a different clear coat formulation, maybe adopting a different manufacturing technique more like the liquor industry where the products being packaged for sale are from the batch made "x" amount of time ago and has had a designated amount of time to cure? Not sure and I'm not sure how that will affect the bottom line at Stern.

The reality of all this is however that no matter how much everyone complains here if everyone keeps buying the machines there is no incentive for the manufacturer to change anything. Why change, they'll just buy it and complain.

If we are to affect change then we must stop buying, convey our concerns to Stern's distributors, and THEY have to tell Stern I will not carry or sell your products unless something is done because I can't sell them. Which also means, we can't buy new machines when they're announced, we have to be patient. If the money is affected then that's what gets people's attention.

Otherwise, we're all going to continue to get these pooling playfield issues, which by the way, from a metrics perspective might not actually be a "problem" to the manufacturer. This sort of a thing could be an acceptable margin in their manufacturing process.

I don't think Stern is an evil company, they're just a for profit organization trying to remain a profitable organization which is currently, at least by volume, the leader in the industry.

I appreciate these companies being here in the US and employing people in the US to build these machines. I will continue to support our domestic products as long as I can just like I keep using the post office because everyone needs a job to provide for their families.

I would like to see Stern not only be the largest in the industry but the best.

Sorry for the rant.

#1592 3 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

So...
There's a pandemic

They are also putting out the best games (by far) they they ever have...

#1593 3 years ago

Are premiums trickling out yet? Pretty please?

#1594 3 years ago

Here's the reality. A large portion of the home buyers aren't on Pinside. They have no idea about playfield and quality control issues or what the real value of these games are worth. They will call a distro, ask whats available, and buy something from that list. For people on Pinside these issues have been well documented but we keep running to buy every game, and accessory they sell to us. Honestly speaking i don't know how people can spin the NIB lottery, get burned and think the next purchase will be any different.

#1595 3 years ago

can anyone tell me how to get the krang max combo ? this was the only thing that i need.

for pro modell: is the use of the button on the lockbar only for ball launch and pizza eating ? i see it sometimes flashing during multiball, but not sure if it do something ?

#1596 3 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

can anyone tell me how to get the krang max combo ? this was the only thing that i need.
for pro modell: is the use of the button on the lockbar only for ball launch and pizza eating ? i see it sometimes flashing during multiball, but not sure if it do something ?

To max the Krang combo you have to hit the inner loop three times before hitting the collect on the middle ramp all within a time limit.

Yes on the pro model, the button on the lock bar just does what you describe.

#1597 3 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

You need to hit the Krang loop 3 times and then hit the center ramp to collect the max krang combo. It does not have to be in one combo. I have not timed it out but you have a few seconds to hit the loops before it restarts.

#1598 3 years ago

I finally took some time to open my turtle pro.
I have levelled the pizza, as it was not perfectly aligned. Two bolts are there for that purpose.
That's really better now.
I've also added a piece of mylar to the launch entry as some marks appeared.
Game is fast, brutal but it's getting better.
The only things I did not succeed was to move the post on the right outlane, I was able to remove the bolt, but after that, it was too tight to unscrew from playfield..
I think the pinball is saying to continue my training and not choose the easy way

#1599 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

[quoted image]

I hear ya loud & clear

Just wondering if the removal of many operators from the buying pool, a shut down line & disgruntled home buyers may reach uncomfortable levels.

Time will tell

All Stern has to do is fix their QC and I'm in. My whole line up is Stern. FOMO does not overpower my QC concerns at the moment.

Quoted from nicoy3k:

They are also putting out the best games (by far) they they ever have...

Agreed. That's why I'm so bummed. I want new cool shit. JP looks so damn good. TMNT really speaks to me. Rumors of James Bond & Bill n Ted really get me fired up too.

#1600 3 years ago

so, I contacted Stern about the van diverter issue. They said engineering is working on a fix and to check back next week. So, it sounds like a more formal fix is coming for LE/Prem folks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, FL
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 16.00
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Panama City Beach, FL
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tualatin, OR
$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 7,999.00
$ 22.00
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

There are 12,061 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 242.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-club2020-cowabunga-its-pizza-time/page/32?hl=mcvetyty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.