(Topic ID: 271489)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Club(Stern 2020): Cowabunga! It’s Pizza Time!

By Tuxedomask23

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12,044 posts
  • 828 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 hours ago by Afty86
  • Topic is favorited by 335 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Which model are you going to purchase”

• Pro 285 votes
    50%
  • Premium 166 votes
    29%
  • LE 119 votes
    21%

(570 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_084026 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image.png
PXL_20240413_183258513.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_3649 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3648 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5713 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5712 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8262 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124621 (resized).jpg
SystemJPinball.ca_1_TMNT-MenuCard-PremLE-Mean1.1_example-3 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 241.
#1501 3 years ago
Quoted from ctl723:

Just unboxed my LE. These playfields do still seem to be susceptible to bubbling/pooling where the apron + guides touch down. I'm going through adding some felt washers like I did on Jurassic Park before it potentially gets worse and chips. Also, the left outlane post was clearly designed for a small post. They pulled back the artwork for that but later changed it to a star post which is starting to pool a bit. Hopefully shouldn't be too bad since it's rarely hit and doesn't have a ring applying diagonal pressure to it. Either way, I think it's worth protecting these spots early if you can.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Definitely open a ticket with them. This kind of stuff was supposed to be resolved.

#1502 3 years ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

I had a similar problem and found that you can completely level the pizza by by loosening two bolts under the playfield and then wiggling the plate around. Can't find the post now, but look back a few pages or check my post history on this thread to see photos.

Thanks

#1503 3 years ago
Quoted from ctl723:

Just unboxed my LE. These playfields do still seem to be susceptible to bubbling/pooling where the apron + guides touch down. I'm going through adding some felt washers like I did on Jurassic Park before it potentially gets worse and chips. Also, the left outlane post was clearly designed for a small post. They pulled back the artwork for that but later changed it to a star post which is starting to pool a bit. Hopefully shouldn't be too bad since it's rarely hit and doesn't have a ring applying diagonal pressure to it. Either way, I think it's worth protecting these spots early if you can.

You can remove that star post and iron the area flat again with a vinyl repair iron, then stick a mylar ring on it before re-applying the post.

This is known as the "JJP method" that Yelobird (I believe?) came up with. Seems to work great long term, sort of forcing a cure in the process of fixing the pooling.

#1504 3 years ago
Quoted from ctl723:

Wow that’s not good to see.

#1505 3 years ago
Quoted from ctl723:

Thanks very much for sharing. I was hoping these days were long gone. Obviously not. Extremely dissapointing to say the least. Please keep us posted on what your distro and Stern say.

#1506 3 years ago

As long as they are not designing new metal aprons or use another mounting system this problem will persist.
Those sharp edges will dig in over time. I have had to use two big washers on my JP2, since the screw hole is big and conical. Needless to say it looks awful. I guess alot of buyers also just accept this... and its the same with ball guides.
Most of my JP2 and DP ball guides are suffering from mild slicing/chipping, just look closely. IMO they should design every machine with washers, and yes - you have to calculate those extra inches before, it makes a difference and can cause problems after installing washers later.

What would this cost Stern for one machine? about 5$ max? (Of course WE would love to pay the 5$ extra...)
In exchange for happier customers, and not seeing all your stern games damaged after 2 years.
win win

#1507 3 years ago
Quoted from ctl723:

Damn man. I just noticed the same on my JP premium in one spot from a June build.

#1508 3 years ago

It’s a ball guide on my JP premium that looks like its pooling on both sides.

#1509 3 years ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

As long as they are not designing new metal aprons or use another mounting system this problem will persist.
Those sharp edges will dig in over time. I have had to use two big washers on my JP2, since the screw hole is big and conical. Needless to say it looks awful. I guess alot of buyers also just accept this... and its the same with ball guides.
Most of my JP2 and DP ball guides are suffering from mild slicing/chipping, just look closely. IMO they should design every machine with washers, and yes - you have to calculate those extra inches before, it makes a difference and can cause problems after installing washers later.
What would this cost Stern for one machine? about 5$ max? (Of course WE would love to pay the 5$ extra...)
In exchange for happier customers, and not seeing all your stern games damaged after 2 years.
win win

Why not just put a 1/2" mylar flattened "V" where the apron contacts the playfield in front?

#1510 3 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Damn man. I just noticed the same on my JP premium in one spot from a June build.

I feel for you. That is just shit. Please let us all know what your distro and Stern say.

#1511 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I feel for you. That is just shit. Please let us all know what your distro and Stern say.

Question is will it chip? I have a turtles pro on order. Think I might abort after finding this issue on 5 spots on my JP premium June build. I know the ball doesn't make contact with that low of a spot but will constantly banging the rail cause it to chip is my concern. Fudge.

#1512 3 years ago

Question is will it chip?

No way to know unfortunately. Time will tell.

#1513 3 years ago

Fuck

I have no patience for $7400 of pooling clear & delaminating art. Especially with the lack of resolutions some damn respectable collectors here have experienced.

Back to lusting over a Big Buck Hunter Reloaded cabinet & a SuperChexx I guess

Hope those affected get taken care of. Keep us posted.

#1514 3 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Fuck
I have no patience for $7400 of pooling clear & delaminating art. Especially with the lack of resolutions some damn respectable collectors here have experienced.

Contacting my distributor tomorrow on my JP premium June build and cancel tmnt. Keep ya posted.

#1515 3 years ago

Question is will it chip? I have a turtles pro on order. Think I might abort after finding this issue on 5 spots on my JP premium June build. I know the ball doesn't make contact with that low of a spot but will constantly banging the rail cause it to chip is my concern. Fudge.

I am not sure if it will chip or not. My understanding is if the pooling is bad, it will eventually chip. Maybe post a few photos in the playfield issue thread.

I feel for all the good distros that do their best to look after their customers. This shit hurts them and the person with the stuffed playfield the most.

I wish you well.

#1516 3 years ago

Whodey

I've been on a pinside break for months. Just now settling back in. So forgive me for asking.

Did Stern resolve your PF issues?

#1517 3 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Whodey
I've been on a pinside break for months. Just now settling back in. So forgive me for asking.
Did Stern resolve your PF issues?

Nope they forgot all about me and stopped emailing me. I am going to get back ahold of them in the next few days. I'm sure they will take care of me though..........NOT!!

#1518 3 years ago

I really don't think my game is the only one pooling around the apron/guides/post, so I'd encourage others to check. This just seems to be the same adhesion issue we've been seeing for awhile now. Pulling back the artwork definitely helped, but it didn't actually address the root cause.

I did gently pull the post up (pic attached) and am planning to flatten the ripple before reinstalling. It's definitely clear that the move to a star post was a late stage change, as it also sits on top of the lane guide bracket (which I think even makes it worse cutting into the field since it's torqued down at an angle). I might actually just install the narrower post which appears to be originally intended even though I realize that opens up the outlane a bit. Guess I'll just have to play better!

As far as the apron goes, the solution I've been using for awhile is just putting a black 7/16 OD titan ring on each of the threaded posts and it does a great job of lifting the apron just enough to no longer contact the field. They fit perfectly in the recessed spots on the playfield. If anyone from Stern is reading, please just do this at the factory. It costs basically nothing and will stop the apron from damaging the playfield.

I'm still excited about the game, but between this and the diverter issue it's going to be a few days before I'm able to play it. I'm just really frustrated with Stern's continued lack of any apparent quality control here.

IMG_20200728_150014 (resized).jpgIMG_20200728_150014 (resized).jpg
#1519 3 years ago
Quoted from ctl723:

I really don't think my game is the only one pooling around the apron/guides/post, so I'd encourage others to check. This just seems to be the same adhesion issue we've been seeing for awhile now. Pulling back the artwork definitely helped, but it didn't actually address the root cause.
I did gently pull the post up (pic attached) and am planning to flatten the ripple before reinstalling. It's definitely clear that the move to a star post was a late stage change, as it also sits on top of the lane guide bracket (which I think even makes it worse cutting into the field since it's torqued down at an angle). I might actually just install the narrower post which appears to be originally intended even though I realize that opens up the outlane a bit. Guess I'll just have to play better!
As far as the apron goes, the solution I've been using for awhile is just putting a black 7/16 OD titan ring on each of the threaded posts and it does a great job of lifting the apron just enough to no longer contact the field. They fit perfectly in the recessed spots on the playfield. If anyone from Stern is reading, please just do this at the factory. It costs basically nothing and will stop the apron from damaging the playfield.
I'm still excited about the game, but between this and the diverter issue it's going to be a few days before I'm able to play it. I'm just really frustrated with Stern's continued lack of any apparent quality control here.
[quoted image]

Damn just reading about this now. Have a pro coming. My jp has no issues. Hmmmmm.

I will tell you, I've been lucky with Stern but if I have the luck of some you guys buying the LE, this would be the last NIB I buy. Too many Stern army loyalists on this website. That is bullshit.

#1520 3 years ago

I've said it before and ill say it again. The exact same thing happened during the heat waves last year. JP2 games built in July and August during the heat waves were the worst. The heat and high humidity on the factory floor is not allowing the clearcoat to fully cure before the playfields are populated. Stern needs to invest in climate control and a proper curing process that can be carried out consistently during all four seasons. Remember how the playfields all seemed to get better in the fall/winter. Yup.

#1521 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I've said it before and ill say it again. The exact same thing happened during the heat waves last year. JP2 games built in July and August during the heat waves were the worst. The heat and high humidity on the factory floor is not allowing the clearcoat to fully cure before the playfields are populated. Stern needs to invest in climate control and a proper curing process that can be carried out consistently during all four seasons. Remember how the playfields all seemed to get better in the fall/winter. Yup.

I’ll post some pics of my JP June 2020 build in the playfield issues thread later tonight. Basically looks just like that tmnt le he posted at ball guide\rail. I think you’re correct about the environment inside the factory.

#1522 3 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Fuck

Get the Super Chexx Curly. Whodey will confirm. It’s a blast!

#1523 3 years ago

My JP, Elvira and STH LE’s have been fantastic quality wise. Pf’s especially.

Maybe Covid has caused a lapse in pf clear?

Has anyone else seen pooling?

#1524 3 years ago

So weird that the LEs are having so many issues, especially after the first run of Pros went pretty smooth for Stern. My Pro looks the best I've had from a NIB Stern.

Wonder what happened with the LEs?

#1525 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

My JP, Elvira and STH LE’s have been fantastic quality wise. Pf’s especially.
Maybe Covid has caused a lapse in pf clear?
Has anyone else seen pooling?

I am sure they will be. Nobody’s looked close enough like I just did after seeing his pic of his LE. I found five spots where the ball guides are connected to playfield. Digging right in and pooling.

#1526 3 years ago

I hope the people paying over 18k NZ for their LE's are ok with this.

#1527 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

So weird that the LEs are having so many issues, especially after the first run of Pros went pretty smooth for Stern. My Pro looks the best I've had from a NIB Stern.

Presumably early pro playfields were made before COVID. TMNT was set to drop back in March, IIRC. They had a few extra months to cure, or were clear coated before heat and humidity set in.

#1528 3 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

What’s the build date on the back of yours, just curios?

July 15th 2020

#1529 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Get the Super Chexx Curly. Whodey will confirm. It’s a blast!

Super Chexx bubble hockey rocks! Only issue at all is you gotta have two people to play. You don't have to worry about chipping and pooling either.

#1530 3 years ago

Mine looks good and they put a washer under it. Not sure if others have washers. The Star post is by the left out lane. I don’t see any others posts to really check

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1531 3 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Mine looks good and they put a washer under it. Not sure if others have washers. The Star post is by the left out lane. I don’t see any others posts to really check

I’d say won the playfield lottery.

#1532 3 years ago

I stand corrected- looks like they did do something there to raise that post up. Wonder if mine was just left out, or if it was a later stage change.

Quoted from Happy81724:

#1533 3 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

July 15th 2020

Interesting. Yours is number #76 build date july 15, mines #439 July 16 build date. Both from nitro. I wonder how that works? Anyway,after many many games mine is still perfect! Maybe they go over the exported games a little extra in qc ? Would be smart of them!

#1534 3 years ago

Anyone have a issue with the Glider?
Mine seems to have stopped working?
LE 137

#1535 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-NJA:

LE 137

Yes, LE 202 received July 1. Stern is sending us a new glider assembly. I know of at least 1 other owner with the same issue.

#1536 3 years ago
Quoted from Stosel:

Yes, LE 202 received July 1. Stern is sending us a new glider assembly. I know of at least 1 other owner with the same issue.

I know of another LE that the glider servo went out and the node board for the pizza motor failed a couple days later. Stern was really good about sending replacements quick. The owner also found a better servo motor on Amazon to use. So far that servo has worked flawlessly.

#1538 3 years ago
Quoted from ctl723:

I stand corrected- looks like they did do something there to raise that post up. Wonder if mine was just left out, or if it was a later stage change.

Yeah, or they just missed it. Not sure how it all works. I have 308 but build date July 2

#1539 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-NJA:

LE 137

Cheap servos. Yours probably died. They are not built for the kind of duty being asked of them.

#1540 3 years ago

Stern doesn't build LE's in numerical order.

#1541 3 years ago

Ok thanks guys, I’ll get my distro to sort that out for me

#1542 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

My pro looks phenomenal as well. Had a friend / tech over and we talked about how nice the PF was.. it is crazy to see LE having this many issues.. wild how pros are good but LE are not??

#1543 3 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

July 15th 2020

June 22 Pro seems fine after 65-70 games

#1544 3 years ago
Quoted from NathanN:

My pro looks phenomenal as well. Had a friend / tech over and we talked about how nice the PF was.. it is crazy to see LE having this many issues.. wild how pros are good but LE are not??

I think the environment (temp/humidity) during playfield manufacture and cure someone suggested may actually explain it. The pro playfields were made before it got hot and humid. Sounds like an investment in climate control for temp AND humidity for at least the playfield production and curing area is a needed investment.

#1545 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I think the environment (temp/humidity) during playfield manufacture and cure someone suggested may actually explain it. The pro playfields were made before it got hot and humid. Sounds like an investment in climate control for temp AND humidity for at least the playfield production and curing area is a needed investment.

Gary wouldn’t want to spend on that.

#1546 3 years ago

It's hard to tell from the picture. Is it a big washer that goes to the edges of the post, or a small one that leaves a "lip" overhang around the post edges? For example could you slide a fingernail underneath the post edge?

Quoted from Happy81724:

Yeah, or they just missed it. Not sure how it all works. I have 308 but build date July 2

#1547 3 years ago

Here’s my JP premium June 2020 build shooter lane with 200 plays.
And in the red circle with line in other pic is 50% of my ballguide / rail connection to playfield locations with pooling. This is actually not the worst of them. Hard to get a good pic need to stand right above, but some of the pooling has crept up the rails/guides.

A01E3D21-A3DF-495E-AEB3-FD160CE88F41 (resized).jpegA01E3D21-A3DF-495E-AEB3-FD160CE88F41 (resized).jpegA06C839D-F0D5-4415-8D3C-55658E929249 (resized).jpegA06C839D-F0D5-4415-8D3C-55658E929249 (resized).jpeg
#1548 3 years ago
Quoted from NathanN:

I don’t think there are a lot of issues. Just the diverter which is easy to fix if it happens with the guide. The clear doesn’t seem like it’s every le. So far one with issues but I’m sure more could come out. Honestly, every company has issues out of box for a small portion of their pins. I don’t think 100% of any build has been flawless

#1549 3 years ago
Quoted from ctl723:

It's hard to tell from the picture. Is it a big washer that goes to the edges of the post, or a small one that leaves a "lip" overhang around the post edges? For example could you slide a fingernail underneath the post edge?

Yeah, I don’t feel an bubble there

352732AB-4759-408D-A628-244A06C9DB08 (resized).jpeg352732AB-4759-408D-A628-244A06C9DB08 (resized).jpegE40BC9E4-74CB-4B33-9719-F7D7080158AE (resized).jpegE40BC9E4-74CB-4B33-9719-F7D7080158AE (resized).jpeg
#1550 3 years ago

Mine looks good but there is something minor by the apron .

2D4CEDFB-E32C-43D0-A5DA-791AF4658C71 (resized).jpeg2D4CEDFB-E32C-43D0-A5DA-791AF4658C71 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tualatin, OR
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 7,999.00
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 16.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, FL
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 241.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-club2020-cowabunga-its-pizza-time/page/31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.