(Topic ID: 271489)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Club(Stern 2020): Cowabunga! It’s Pizza Time!

By Tuxedomask23

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,954 posts
  • 822 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 hours ago by Rampmaster
  • Topic is favorited by 334 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Which model are you going to purchase”

• Pro 285 votes
    50%
  • Premium 166 votes
    29%
  • LE 119 votes
    21%

(570 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3566 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240316_051625591 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240316_034508453 (resized).jpg
IMG_3277 (resized).JPG
20240308_213544 (resized).jpg
20240308_211320 (resized).jpg
20240308_211805 (resized).jpg
20240215_093714 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
1EB20A79-521C-4BEB-AAA6-F2E7D64EE9D1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5494 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5492 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,954 posts in this topic. You are on page 182 of 240.
#9051 1 year ago
Quoted from plasticbugs:

You need to remove both wireframes to get the glider out - which is actually not too bad considering how hard it is to get at some posts to replace the rubbers. Let's not even talk how hard it is to get at the rubbers in the pops or to remove the van. Once those wireframes are removed, it's fairly simple.
Just go screw by screw and take pictures of each screw and element before you remove them. Place the screws/plastics/whatever in numbered bags. Start at one and use as many bags with numbers as you have pictures. I use a bunch of small zip loc bags and paper tape with permanent marker whenever I'm taking more than one thing off the playfield.

Thanks for the advice.

What about the plug for the servo itself? Any trick in unplugging it from the bottom of the playfield?

#9052 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

Thanks for the advice.
What about the plug for the servo itself? Any trick in unplugging it from the bottom of the playfield?

Nope. I think it’s a molex connector with a little plastic nub that you can lift with your fingernail to unlatch it while you pull. Just label both ends with paper tape so you know where it reconnects when you put it back in.

Don’t pull the wires as they’re fragile, just the plastic connectors to separate the ends.

#9053 1 year ago

I am having a problem with the lair. I’m every time I get to training it releases the ball and bounces to the outlane and drains. Anyone have any tips to fix this?

#9054 1 year ago

You can add a short ball save but sounds like you are leaning left.

#9055 1 year ago

Yep, I also added a five second "Lair Save" timer in the game settings. It only happens once in a while for me, but it's really frustrating if you don't have the ball save option enabled in the settings.

#9056 1 year ago

1 or 2 seconds are all you really need but it is a must.

#9057 1 year ago

Yeah, anymore than 2 seconds seems like I can come out of the lair and brick a right ramp, drain, and still get the ball save.

#9058 1 year ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

1 or 2 seconds are all you really need but it is a must.

Whoops. You're right and mine is set at 2 not 5. Five would be a bit overly generous and would probably give you a fair drain back.

#9059 1 year ago
Quoted from Drussksu:

I am having a problem with the lair. I’m every time I get to training it releases the ball and bounces to the outlane and drains. Anyone have any tips to fix this?

I have the ball save on too but I don't get any outlane drains after I did this:
20220616_205223 (resized).jpg20220616_205223 (resized).jpg
I added a 1/2" white rubber on the star post under the black rubber. I did it to de-borg the outlane, which I find it does help just enough (it's still the dangerous side but also I can save it once in a while now), but it also ended up slowing the lair exit down a bit too which I ended up liking. It still is a bit random where it goes, but it's never gone down the outlane or middle for me since I did it.
I did it out of curiosity but I'm leaving it on.
Really, I could turn off the ball save now but I like being able to get one fail shot off too.

#9060 1 year ago

So with this Lair Saver timer, does it kick in every single time a ball is released?

Seems like a good way to get more mileage out of multiballs

#9061 1 year ago

Nope, it is disabled during multiball.

#9062 1 year ago

Anyone know where I can get the previous version of the code for this game? I’m on 1.51 but I liked the previous version more, where it was easier to get to the neutrinos pizza party mode. I can’t find it on sterns website.

#9064 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Anyone know where I can get the previous version of the code for this game? I’m on 1.51 but I liked the previous version more, where it was easier to get to the neutrinos pizza party mode. I can’t find it on sterns website.

what version of code would that be?
Pro or Prem/LE?

#9065 1 year ago

Gave my TMNT some TLC by cleaning, waxing and changing the balls. However, noted the following things:
- The Turtle Power insert is on from the get go
- When powering on the machine all is fine, however after opening the coin door and closing it the glider moves to the far left and after a few seconds tries to move further left, which if you don’t act likely will kill the servo.

The Turtle Power insert was probably a connector issue I saw within the club. Any thoughts about the servo. This didn’t happen before and seems to have started after installing IC. Was thinking about a bug, but would expect everybody to run into this then.

#9066 1 year ago

My turtle power is usually on and then blinks when the next shot starts it. I figured this was normal.

#9067 1 year ago
Quoted from cabal:

what version of code would that be?
Pro or Prem/LE?

1.50 for Premium

#9068 1 year ago

Hi All! Just joined the club yesterday with a Pro. Loving the game but had an issue today where it just shut down (flippers dead, game dark) during a mb and took a long time to reboot. I tried searching in topic but couldn’t find a concrete solution. Is it an SD card issue? Thanks in advance for your help!

#9069 1 year ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

My turtle power is usually on and then blinks when the next shot starts it. I figured this was normal.

Same. Turtle Power is always lit but blinks when it's ready.

#9070 1 year ago
Quoted from Hop721:

Hi All! Just joined the club yesterday with a Pro. Loving the game but had an issue today where it just shut down (flippers dead, game dark) during a mb and took a long time to reboot. I tried searching in topic but couldn’t find a concrete solution. Is it an SD card issue? Thanks in advance for your help!

Most likely sd card, but could be turtle power multiball crash.

#9071 1 year ago
Quoted from Thomas3184:

Most likely sd card, but could be turtle power multiball crash.

It was during Turtle Power multi-ball! Is there a fix?

#9073 1 year ago
Quoted from Hop721:

It was during Turtle Power multi-ball! Is there a fix?

No fix yet. Report it if you want to help get it fixed though:
[email protected]

I personally haven't had it crash for ages now. Most suggest trying a new (brand name) sd card and image. It still might happen a few times after a fresh update but many of us find it happens very infrequently the more it's played.

Edit: I guess I jinxed myself. Had it happen today. :/ often it's when you hit a specific shot like the right ramp, but this time not. <shrug>

#9074 1 year ago
Quoted from System-J:

No fix yet. Report it if you want to help get it fixed though:
[email protected]
I personally haven't had it crash for ages now. Most suggest trying a new (brand name) sd card and image. It still might happen a few times after a fresh update but many of us find it happens very infrequently the more it's played.

Appreciate the info. I’ll let stern know and put in a new SD card just in case.

#9075 1 year ago

Has anybody ever turned the game on and it doesn't boot? Had to turn power off and then back on for it to start up.

#9076 1 year ago
Quoted from JakePG:

Has anybody ever turned the game on and it doesn't boot? Had to turn power off and then back on for it to start up.

That’a happens once in awhile.

#9077 1 year ago
Quoted from JakePG:

I had this happen once, though it wouldn't boot back up at all. It ended up that the sd card had half 'un-clicked' (technical term ) itself out.

#9078 1 year ago
Quoted from System-J:

I had this happen once, though it wouldn't boot back up at all. It ended up that the sd card had half 'un-clicked' (technical term ) itself out.

what was the result?

#9079 1 year ago
Quoted from JakePG:

Yep, this used to happen to me once in a while. Hasn't happened for months now either because of a code update or me switching out the crappy Stern SD card with a name brand one.

#9080 1 year ago

I haven't played the latest code (v1.51) much yet, I just got my machine back after lending it to a friend for 3 months. I noticed that after coming out of Final Battle, 1 Episode (maybe the last one you played?) still starts off as "played but not completed." And I also had an issue in Team Up MB where getting my first rescue moved me onto the Pizza Party phase. The code can clearly still use an update or 2 related to bug fixes and polish.

#9081 1 year ago
Quoted from JakePG:

what was the result?

Haven't had a boot up problem since.

#9082 1 year ago
Quoted from shaub:

I haven't played the latest code (v1.51) much yet, I just got my machine back after lending it to a friend for 3 months. I noticed that after coming out of Final Battle, 1 Episode (maybe the last one you played?) still starts off as "played but not completed." And I also had an issue in Team Up MB where getting my first rescue moved me onto the Pizza Party phase. The code can clearly still use an update or 2 related to bug fixes and polish.

Hmm. I got to Final Battle again and it didn't behave this way, I wonder if the bug is related to failing the last episode you play. I believe this time around I beat the last episode before Final Battle.

I also had the same issue with Team Up, I wonder if that is relate to the "Rescue Any Turtle" Perk. I know I had that perk both times. But in the past, I've never had that bug so it seems relatively new.

#9083 1 year ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

Polly pocket mini turtle figure. Easily found on ebay

Thanks. Finally got hold of one and it fits the mod perfectly!
20220629_125113.jpg20220629_125113.jpg

#9084 1 year ago

Im in just grabbed a prem

816087A2-78EB-4271-8806-A4C664C35D40 (resized).jpeg816087A2-78EB-4271-8806-A4C664C35D40 (resized).jpeg
#9085 1 year ago
Quoted from Delta9:

Im in just grabbed a prem
[quoted image]

Welcome n congratulations it’s a great game but tough I love mine.

#9086 1 year ago
Quoted from big-c66:

Welcome n congratulations it’s a great game but tough I love mine.

Thanks much appreciated.

#9087 1 year ago
Quoted from drinklime:

could be a coincidence but i turned down GI brightness and havent had any lockups in months. not sure how much voltage difference that might make if any

The backbox LED's on the CPU board dumps a ton of heat back into the board (I measured it with a FLIR) at a 100% setting. I turned both game play and attract levels down to 30% on all my Spike 2 pins. That might be the culprit.

#9088 1 year ago

I played a pro for the 2nd time and I can see myself owning this one.
Not sure why people hate it! It is a tough super fast game!

Definitely interested.

#9089 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

The backbox LED's on the CPU board dumps a ton of heat back into the board (I measured it with a FLIR) at a 100% setting. I turned both game play and attract levels down to 30% on all my Spike 2 pins. That might be the culprit.

Hmm, interesting. Have you had similar lockups on other spike2's? I wonder if anyone has used a separate (off board) led replacement and if they've had any resets.
Though as much as I want to blame a power surge or over heating, that the full reset only happens during tpmb makes me keep going back to the code. If it was a power issue you think a 6 ball npmb would crash once in a while. But, to counter point my own opinion, I find it interesting that there's no shaker motor use at the beginning of the tpmb either, which makes me think that they are avoiding add any more power to it. ...but then, also, they still have rumbles for jackpots, so who knows. <shrug> . Whatever it is, I really hate its an issue still. It's such a great game yet it's such a sticking point and focus for so many people still.

#9090 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Definitely interested.

I don't think people hate it, but there's other games that simply steal the spotlight more. The reduced scoring could make the game feel less exciting for some players as well.

Rob

#9091 1 year ago
Quoted from System-J:

Hmm, interesting. Have you had similar lockups on other spike2's? I wonder if anyone has used a separate (off board) led replacement and if they've had any resets.
Though as much as I want to blame a power surge or over heating, that the full reset only happens during tpmb makes me keep going back to the code. If it was a power issue you think a 6 ball npmb would crash once in a while. But, to counter point my own opinion, I find it interesting that there's no shaker motor use at the beginning of the tpmb either, which makes me think that they are avoiding add any more power to it. ...but then, also, they still have rumbles for jackpots, so who knows. <shrug> . Whatever it is, I really hate its an issue still. It's such a great game yet it's such a sticking point and focus for so many people still.

I had a different problem - the woofer chip (TPA3123D2). It was fine when first turned on, the pin would be forever fine. Turn it off (let the supplies discharge), then on - muted bass. The backbox audio chip is the same, but being farther away, didn't seem to be effected as much. Let the pin (Munsters) cool off and turn back on - all good. I replaced the woofer chip (I know to solder SMT parts). So just a WAG it's not the audio amp, but a part associated with the the woofer amp (i.e. a critical cap that's not stable over temperature). The amp is a Class-D topology, so a little bit more going on inside the chip than just a straight amplifier.

Then I started started to turn down the LED's and even printed 3D a CPU board fan, those things helped lower temps a lot. I'm aware of other Spike 2 CPU boards that have the same issue. Not many, but some. In the end, I didn't have time to chase it down (wife reminded me I should spend time playing them, not going on a wild goose chase), so I ordered a new CPU.

(BTW, I'm a retired electrical engineer.)

#9092 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Definitely interested.

Quoted from Rob_G:

I don't think people hate it, but there's other games that simply steal the spotlight more. The reduced scoring could make the game feel less exciting for some players as well.

Rob

My biggest issue is ultimately the unbalanced scoring/features of the game rather than the perceived low scoring. Both of these have been slightly improved since the initial release though, but the imbalance remains, in my opinion at least.

But overall, I think the general perception of the game suffered due to when it was released (during covid and overshadowed by the release of Avengers 3 months later) and the overall gameplay/code at release combined with the fact that no significant code changes or balances have been made to it. Essentially, this game is what it is and it hasn't really given people (with an initial negative impression) a good reason to really re-evaluate it.

Compare the code development cycle to something like Godzilla or Rush, those games are getting frequent updates that balance the gameplay, adjust scoring, and introduce new features/wizard modes. Personally, I think the Godzilla code has been dragging on a little too long, but overall those updates are allowing the game designers to take feedback from casual to high-level players and adjust the game accordingly in response.

#9093 1 year ago

What’s the big gripe with scoring? I’m not really good enough to put up giant scores so maybe I don’t notice it. I keep reading it’s not balanced, what’s an example?

My biggest gripe is the stupid left outlane, and the strobing when you hit the orbit so you can’t time the upper flipper right. I still think the game is great though.

#9094 1 year ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

What’s the big gripe with scoring? I’m not really good enough to put up giant scores so maybe I don’t notice it. I keep reading it’s not balanced, what’s an example?
My biggest gripe is the stupid left outlane, and the strobing when you hit the orbit so you can’t time the upper flipper right. I still think the game is great though.

You can get a lot of points in ninja parlor multiball with the octopus topping. Also draining on purpose on a pro to get balls to launch into top lanes for end of ball bonus.

#9095 1 year ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

Quoted from Thomas3184:

You can get a lot of points in ninja parlor multiball with the octopus topping. Also draining on purpose on a pro to get balls to launch into top lanes for end of ball bonus.

This is pretty much it. If you want points, do this. And you really don't need to worry about most of the other features of the game: 123 Foot, Weapon Hurry Ups, Krang Kombo, etc. In my opinion, "balanced scoring" means there are multiple features in the game and they are worth an "appropriate" amount of points relative to all of the other features. Broadly speaking, if a feature is tough to start and tough to complete, it should be worth more points, if something is easy to start and easy to beat, it should be worth less points.

For example: If Ninja Pizza MB is relatively easy to start and the Super Jackpot is relatively attainable, it probably should be worth less points than completing Team UP MB, which requires playing 4 Episodes AND beating a mini-wizard Mode.

#9096 1 year ago

Gotcha, so there’s really only one strategy if you’re going for a high score. I can’t believe they wouldn’t adjust that. The codes not final right?

#9097 1 year ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

Gotcha, so there’s really only one strategy if you’re going for a high score. I can’t believe they wouldn’t adjust that. The codes not final right?

Most imbalanced scoring game ever

#9098 1 year ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

Code is never definitively final, but it hasn’t seen much change in awhile. It’s pretty mature and complete as it is already though. Imbalance was even worse at the beginning.

#9099 1 year ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

It's past v1.0 so I think from Stern's perspective, that's complete. But sometimes later code updates come as well.

#9100 1 year ago
Quoted from zaki:

Most imbalanced scoring game ever

Really? That seems like a stretch.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
There are 11,954 posts in this topic. You are on page 182 of 240.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-club2020-cowabunga-its-pizza-time/page/182 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.