• Latest reply 5 years ago by wamonkey
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20180619-105854 (resized).png

#1 5 years ago

OK - I have owned multiple Bally Williams games and I have done LED's and rubber kits / waxed all my games. This is my first Gottlieb game - so I decided to upgrade it to LED's replaced some perished rubbers, wax it the whole deal.

Everything worked before I did the shopped of the game.

So, I finish the game - all the plastics back on - all the new bulbs in. Again - it all worked before - both free play and on credits. I did not not remove any boards - re-seat any board connectors. Just LED'd / rubbers / wax.

Now - it says free play - it registers the balls in the trough (at least I think it does because it kicks them up as required). I press the start button - in either free play or credits and it simply does not start. The switch is making contact - I didn't do anything to it or any part of the coin door or that area around the start button.

What could this be - it looks ready to go - just pressing the start button does not do anything....

My first Gottlieb - never had this issue before, I have restored multiple games and this one is a new one to me. In utilities and test everything seems to work.

Is their fuses in this circuit that can prevent it starting a simple game when no other things seem wrong?

Please help if you have any ideas

#2 5 years ago

Check and see if there is a coin door switch that got pushed in during your shop job. I used to have a Shaq machine and if the white switch button by the coin door got pushed in a game would not start. Long shot but just a thought...

#3 5 years ago

Do you have enough balls in the game, or maybe one of your switches in the trough is not correctly working. It will want to see them all to start

#4 5 years ago

the door switches are correctly configured - I have power - it is ready to start just don't know what it is.

I think the balls are located.....just seems ready to go.

#5 5 years ago

Ok - the only optic I know I disconnected was in the red ramp. Can that being installed a little off cause this issue?

The trough has no optics just switches - which all work.

Are the optics interconnected?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

The trough has no optics just switches - which all work.

Are the optics interconnected?

Shouldn't effect game play. I had bad optos in other sys 3 games and they still started.
4 balls in the trough ? (3 in trough, 1 in outhole). It won't start if it can't see all the balls.

#7 5 years ago

Make sure the switches in the trough are registering the balls. Put the game in switch test and check the ball switches are closed.

#8 5 years ago

OK - I will double check - maybe I am just an idiot.

#9 5 years ago

Good luck.

#10 5 years ago

Yes, outhole must be occupied or no worky worky.

#11 5 years ago

Follow the credit button n°644 the common one to switch sw04 to swb4 it may be unsolder somewhere...

Screenshot_20180619-105854 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180619-105854 (resized).png

#12 5 years ago

Or if you play on tournament mode...follow the common wire n°655.

#13 5 years ago

OK - thanks for the help all and the suggestions. With the scan that "Benhurr" loaded on to the forum I did some more research and did a switch test and things were just kind of funky. I had multiple switches saying they were not working - so what was common was the diode board. I reflowed solder on all the points on the board and it worked - no switch errors - game started - etc.

I figure since I was putting in LED's and doing a general clean up the raising and lowering of the playfield must have just made a cold solder joint go bad. I hit all the solder joints on the board - everything worked like a charm.

Thanks all - hope this helps someone in the future too!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
BK Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 18.50
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tee-d-off-won-t-start-a-game-first-gottlieb-game-i-am-stumped and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.