• Latest reply 1 year ago by tjc02002
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-2089 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Just purchased a Tee'd Off machine a couple months ago and noticed that the GOPHER wheel in the middle only performs a half turns then stops when activated. In other YouTube videos I see that it spins a few rotations to get the ball moving, but mine stops every time after only rotating 180 degrees. I have the instructions on how to breakdown the spin unit assembly, but don't know what I should focus on. Any ideas what could be causing this or how to resolve it?

This is my first pinball, so new to maintaining them. It's a really fun game though. Thanks in advance.

#2 1 year ago

I'd try to help, but schematics for Gottlieb games aren't available online. If you can scan the relevant pages, myself or others may be able to offer some suggestions.

In the meantime, i found a thread at the Aussie arcade form regarding this issue. Sounds like you may need to clean and grease the motor, and check for anything that could cause binding of the moving parts. The switches under the wheel may be pushing too tightly, causing excessive binding, for instance. Have you tried operating the motor in the games diagnostic test?

Good luck, and please let us know what you find.

(Link to thread i find that info at: https://www.aussiearcade.com/forum/pinball/pinball-technical-and-repair-questions/98325-tee-d-off-spinning-wheel-not-working)

#3 1 year ago

Thanks for the feedback and link to the thread. Performing a factory reset did not resolve the issue, but it seems very similar to the issue the other poster had. I haven't tried taking it apart yet to clean and relubricate the motor.

When in self-test 4 the following is happening:
Relay & Solenoid Test
- Solenoid: 24 - PF Gopher Wheel Relay - when testing the wheel only turns about 30 degrees

When in self-test 5, I'm receiving the following errors.
Inoperative Switches
- Switch:40 "G" in wheel
- Switch:41 "O" in wheel
- Switch:42 "P" in wheel
- Switch:43 "H" in wheel
- Switch:45 "R" in wheel
- Switch:50 "G" in wheel
- Switch:52 "P" in wheel
- Switch:53 "H" in wheel
- Switch:54 "E" in wheel
- Switch:55 "R" in wheel

If anyone would like the diagram please PM me (don't want to break rules about posting copyrighted material).

Side question: Other switch and solenoid numbers are also appearing when performing self-test 4 & 5. Should I assume these are all not working as well? Example Switch 24 Outhole, Switch 14 Trough, and Switch 05 Tournament are also displayed; however I don't see anything wrong with them.

Thanks!

IMG-2089 (resized).jpg
#4 1 year ago

As far as the switch errors, it may be displaying them because they haven't been activated in "x" amount of games. Seeing how the ball is sitting in one of the "O" slots on the wheel (and one "O" is not on the list of problem switches), I'm inclined to think that may be the case. So the switch issue may not be a real issue--try activating all the "problem" switches by hand in switch test and make sure they all register.

I'm betting you'll have to clean/grease the motor at very least. If it's never been done, that's 30+ years using the same old grease...which is probably about the consistency of molasses after all these years. You may also be able to find a replacement motor if needed, you can find the motor part # in the manual.

Edit: new motor is available from Marco Specialties--
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/29826

#5 1 year ago

Great and thanks. I'll try cleaning and greasing the motor within the next week and report back. Good to see that motors are still available as a backup plan.

#6 1 year ago

Steve young has a lot of these parts available(pbresource.com) but I would first take the assembly out of the game, maybe dis-assemble it a little, clean stuff up, and re-assemble. I wouldn't add too much grease anywhere as grease in pinball is generally a bad idea(except inside gear boxes), maybe a little light oil on the motor bushings. Its pretty easy to remove this unit as there's like 2 connectors you can unplug, and then like 4 or so screws holding the whole thing onto the playfield. Good luck and feel free to ask questions.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 7.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!