Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181117_214341 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
Bally SeeSaw Flyer (resized).jpg
IMG_3976 (resized).JPG

#1 5 years ago

So, after watching the youtube recorded presentation on Ted Zale at Pintastic this past July, the researcher was not able to locate a photo of Ted. In the flyer for See Saw that Ted designed and was released in September 1970, there are 2 men in the center could possibly be the age of Ted but are both probably too short as I remember that he was quite tall. Can anyone confirm if either could be Ted or provide the identity of the 4 men pictured ??

FWIW, Jim Patla is pictured in the flyer for Bally Sea Ray...he is the second from the right.

IMG_3976 (resized).JPG

Bally SeeSaw Flyer (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

I am said researcher.
Don't have my notes with me, but I do have confirmation of the identities of all 4 men in the See Saw picture. I'll get back to you with the details. I was unsuccessful in locating a photo of him. I even reached out to surviving family members who did not have photos…

Added over 5 years ago: Edit: see below. My memory was incorrect. I only have full name ID for one of the guys, and first names for two others. The fellow 3rd from the right is the one I was originally thinking might have been Zale (I have photos of Zale's son, and the general build and appearance are similar)... but also, he was one of the industrial engineers.

#3 5 years ago

My friend, xTheBlackKnightx, who got me into pinball last year is preparing to publish a Ted Zale book he has been writing for quite a while.

I know he deactivated his profile here, but you can still find him on FaceBook and he recently released a "teaser" video with details.
He probably has Ted Zale photos, press releases, and other information that people might be asking about that otherwise might not be found, but I'm not sure.
You would have to ask him.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from xRose_of_Aragonx:

My friend, xTheBlackKnightx, who got me into pinball last year is preparing to publish a Ted Zale book he has been writing for quite a while.

Super cool. I'm in the middle of bringing my Fireball EM back to life and would love to more about Ted.

#5 5 years ago

Would be good to see the BlackKnight's prose in a printed book - he is QUITE the writer!

#6 5 years ago

Sea Ray = From Left to Right
GARY GAYTON
MAC FOGGY (wired whitewoods for Zale)
JIM PATLA
JOE DAMIAN (Worked on manuals and testing games before they were released)

pasted_image (resized).jpeg

#7 5 years ago

Checked my notes. According to Patla, the See Saw photo is (L-R): Carl Mangolia (Sp?) who worked on the shipping dock; "George" (doesn't remember what he did for Bally, but remembers him being around); then a nameless guy who he recalls as an industrial engineer. Playing the game is a tech named Joel "who worked for Ed Grimm".

1 month later
#8 5 years ago

For interest regarding Thaddeus Zalewski history:

Ted Zale - "A Master of Pinball Innovation"

The final layout transcript of MY PINBALL BOOK has begun.
A book that through my efforts that is almost 25 years in the making!

Some may not have realized this book was under authorship. It documents the designs and development of Ted Zale's electromechanical (EM) "zipper flipper" games from 1966-1973 and personal history that details his significant contributions to pinball, along with providing something truly lasting for reference to the industry and hobby. This book ONLY focuses on his zipper flipper games (including exported models), not all credited games he designed.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ):

ESTIMATED RELEASE DATE (ERD): 12 months until publication (late 2018)

BOOK PUBLISHER: Schiffer Books for Collectors

CAN A PERSON PREORDER?: I do not believe in preorders. The book will be commercially for sale, including Amazon, and most likely pinball parts retailers. An sample review and assessment will be available to evaluate the book.

BOOK SIZE: This book will be hardcover and the same size as "Bally: The World's Game Maker" by Christian Marfels (6 x 9 1/2"). A digital version has not been determined at the present time.

BASE CONTENT: Much of the base writing is already done. Preface, Bally background, Ted Zale biography with photos, one chapter dedicated to each "zipper flipper" game with footnotes/references, and index. There will be 22 book chapters, roughly 250 pages (150 pages (print), 100 pages (photos, color and grayscale)). Each game chapter includes the flyers, press releases, trade magazine ads, articles export versions, and NEW photos of ALL the games, cabinets, playfields, and backglasses. Some games are VERY RARE now. It will be one of the most complete books on Ted Zale designs ever written.
Presently, the "lynchpin" is high quality photos of the game titles. I own 13 of the 19 Ted Zale "zipper flipper" games (including export titles, otherwise the number drops to 17), and missing SIX (or FOUR), so I have to get them from other sources externally, or acquire the games. I also prefer to take the photos myself of RESTORED games. I always appreciate assistance on acquisition (and photos) of these direct games, especially JOKER (Bally, 1968) which never had a flyer created because the title never made it into mass production. Those that are friends of mine have already see some of my restoration work here on Facebook. I will be conducting additional interviews with his grandchildren, as Ted Zale passed on over 40 years ago (1977) to get some additional coin operated history of his experiences prior to working at Bally.

#action=share

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I will be conducting additional interviews with his grandchildren, as Ted Zale passed on over 40 years ago (1977) to get some additional coin operated history of his experiences prior to working at Bally.

That is probably the most-needed information. We want the answer to the question: What prior experience qualified him to join Bally at such a high-level position?
.................David Marston

6 months later
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

For interest regarding Thaddeus Zalewski history:
Ted Zale - "A Master of Pinball Innovation"
The final layout transcript of MY PINBALL BOOK has begun.
A book that through my efforts that is almost 25 years in the making!
Some may not have realized this book was under authorship. It documents the designs and development of Ted Zale's electromechanical (EM) "zipper flipper" games from 1966-1973 and personal history that details his significant contributions to pinball, along with providing something truly lasting for reference to the industry and hobby. This book ONLY focuses on his zipper flipper games (including exported models), not all credited games he designed.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ):
ESTIMATED RELEASE DATE (ERD): 12 months until publication (late 2018)
BOOK PUBLISHER: Schiffer Books for Collectors
CAN A PERSON PREORDER?: I do not believe in preorders. The book will be commercially for sale, including Amazon, and most likely pinball parts retailers. An sample review and assessment will be available to evaluate the book.
BOOK SIZE: This book will be hardcover and the same size as "Bally: The World's Game Maker" by Christian Marfels (6 x 9 1/2"). A digital version has not been determined at the present time.
BASE CONTENT: Much of the base writing is already done. Preface, Bally background, Ted Zale biography with photos, one chapter dedicated to each "zipper flipper" game with footnotes/references, and index. There will be 22 book chapters, roughly 250 pages (150 pages (print), 100 pages (photos, color and grayscale)). Each game chapter includes the flyers, press releases, trade magazine ads, articles export versions, and NEW photos of ALL the games, cabinets, playfields, and backglasses. Some games are VERY RARE now. It will be one of the most complete books on Ted Zale designs ever written.
Presently, the "lynchpin" is high quality photos of the game titles. I own 13 of the 19 Ted Zale "zipper flipper" games (including export titles, otherwise the number drops to 17), and missing SIX (or FOUR), so I have to get them from other sources externally, or acquire the games. I also prefer to take the photos myself of RESTORED games. I always appreciate assistance on acquisition (and photos) of these direct games, especially JOKER (Bally, 1968) which never had a flyer created because the title never made it into mass production. Those that are friends of mine have already see some of my restoration work here on Facebook. I will be conducting additional interviews with his grandchildren, as Ted Zale passed on over 40 years ago (1977) to get some additional coin operated history of his experiences prior to working at Bally.
#action=share

I understand you stated late 2018 release I was just curious if you had made any progress on this project.

5 months later
#11 4 years ago

While we await the release of Chris's book, here are 3 Zale zipper flipper project games, which are now fully functioning. I still have some unfinished cosmetic tasks (powder coated black legs for each game and for the coin door on Cosmos, plus new playfield glass).

I very much like each of these games. The backbox animation with corresponding burner light bonus feature of Cosmos is clever and well integrated. Rocket III vectors are fun and fast. . .mushroom bumper nirvana. Surfers, with its ideal flow, perfectly positioned 3rd flipper, and killer art package, is an A+ title, in my opinion.

20181117_214341 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Aphex:

I understand you stated late 2018 release I was just curious if you had made any progress on this project.

Bump

#13 3 years ago

We have the complete zipper flipper collection (minus Joker) at the Ann Arbor pinball museum. Come to our show in May and check it out!

#14 3 years ago

Curious to read this book on Ted Zale. Hope it will be published soon.

#15 3 years ago

So am I.

3 weeks later
#16 3 years ago

I just picked up 2 Zale games and will be looking forward to this book.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from jasonp:

I just picked up 2 Zale games and will be looking forward to this book.

Which titles? Congrats.

#18 3 years ago

Dogies and Joust .... I'm hooked now

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Which titles? Congrats.

Dogies and Joust ... I'm hooked

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
$ 7.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 7.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!