Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 188 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by VacFink
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SW_Resized_Backglass_(resized).jpg
    SG_Grill_2_(resized).jpg
    SG_Grill_1_(resized).jpg
    t2_art_good.jpg_(resized).jpg
    T2_Pinball_(resized).jpg
    20160407_182631[1]_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3901_copy_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3902_copy_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3901_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3902_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3899_(resized).JPG
    creature_combo_1_TESTa_sm_(resized).jpg
    creature_combo_2_TEST_(resized).jpg
    Stooges_in_Oz_(resized).jpg
    pinball_backglass_test_1A_sm_(resized).jpg
    plate_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spfxted.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

OK, Pinsiders…I want to run something by you. A little while ago, my friend, who has a printing factory, bought a $175,000 machine for a job. He asked me what else we could create using this machine.

When he told me what it could do, I immediately thought of Pinball. He can direct print on plexiglass (or just about anything) and cut to fit. Plexiglass up to 2 inches thick! So I said, lets try to make a plexi back glass…then plastics, speaker panels, or anything else for a Pinball Machine.

We decided to run a few tests. I took a bunch of Creature From the Black Lagoon foreign and domestic posters from the 50's and separated a bunch of elements. Then I put them together in a size that would fit a Pinball Backglass.

As I was doing this I realized…Hey, wouldn't it be neat to put myself and my wife in there. Then I said….whoa!…we can customize ANYTHING! Imagine T2 with your own disintegrating face in there…or Tron with your girlfriend. Anyway, you get the idea.

The inks used are UV protected and these plexiglass images can even be used outside or in direct sunlight and still last VERY long.

I tried the Creature test back glass in a machine to check for fit and density of inks. You need it to light up nice without the bulbs showing through. The first test we tried just the ink without a background of white. No good, you could still see faded bulbs. When we put white paper behind it, it looked just fine. We will be printing out another test this week.

My question is…..is this something you guys could use? What would be a good price point?
    Don't forget…you could make up YOUR OWN custom files and they could be printed and cut for a back glass, plastics, speaker panel, etc.

AND, we can also make 3D art. One plexi panel with an image on the back and another bolted to the front to make a cool art piece to frame and put on the wall, or a light box!

You guys may have other ideas. Let me know and I'll see if it's possible.

PLEX CUSTOM ART may be coming soon! ….who needs breakable glass when we have plexiglass!

plexback_1_(resized).JPGplexback_1_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3579_(resized).JPGIMG_3579_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3580_(resized).JPGIMG_3580_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3577_(resized).JPGIMG_3577_(resized).JPG

#3 8 years ago

Colors were fantastic. We just need to see how much white to use.
    If you blow up one of the 2nd Creature pix you can get an idea of the quality. It's as good as the file.

#4 8 years ago

That other Thread about needing a Mars God of War backglass…… should be no problem as long as we have the art files...

#7 8 years ago

Thanks Vyzer. Yes, being able to make any custom back glass is neat. It's 1/8 inch thick and all you need is the one piece. You slip it into the "lifting thingy" on the bottom and slide it right in. (and no more broken glass)

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Yer a fkn rockstar Ted ! That looks spectacular ! I'm sure a lot of Mustang guys (all 10 of us) would love to have their Stang on the backglass...too bad I have a Corvette.

YES! We can have you driving your own car on there!

[I have to run a few errands, but will check this when I get back] THANKS GUYS!

#10 8 years ago

Yes, that could be done. We will be testing stuff all next week.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Stargate speaker panels. For some reason, they go missing frequently, but they are NLA.

No problem!

#14 8 years ago

Can you get me an art file?

#16 8 years ago

Here's the Creature backglass with me in the bottom right picture. (with cigar!)
    The TOP right picture we can put in whatever you want. Your company logo, or use your imagination...

pinball_backglass_test_1_ted_(resized).jpgpinball_backglass_test_1_ted_(resized).jpg

#21 8 years ago

Yes…you digital gurus can create whatever you want and just give me the files.

rkahr ----do you mean print on the glass itself? I have to ask about that…

#25 8 years ago

We can do that too!

#27 8 years ago

Yes, that would look great!

#29 8 years ago

Probably. Max 2 inches thick. hmmmmm

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Any way I can get one of those Creature translites from the original lobby card? Just beautiful art all the way around.

No problem!

There has been a lot of interest and we're trying to figure out a good price point as Plexi is not cheap. Do you think $149 is ok?

#38 8 years ago

Excellent! Thanks!! This is gonna be fun!

#39 8 years ago

Thanks for all the PM's guys!

#41 8 years ago

A few questions I will try to answer.
    If we can print on glass.
    If we can fill in images on an existing backglass.
    Stay tuned....
    I'll also do a Podcast about all the stuff we're thinking about....

#43 8 years ago

It can be made either from the original art or a custom job

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Only issue I see with creech is that the word "creature" isn't going to be lit up one letter at a time with the whirlpool.

Yes, a few people have written to me about this. The letters could always be moved. I just have to overlay mine with the original and line up the letters.

#49 8 years ago

Ok...now we just gotta figure out plastics and speaker panels...

#51 8 years ago

Pretty big...but let me find out...

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

What's the largest sheet size it can print on?

We can print up to 48”x 96” x2” thick.

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Any way I can get one of those Creature translites from the original lobby card? Just beautiful art all the way around.

This one is from the original Lobby Title Card. (I removed the credits on the bottom and had to adjust slightly to fit the backglass size) I can use any of the cards though. The only other good one is the Creature in the water...

pinball_backglass_test_1A_sm_(resized).jpgpinball_backglass_test_1A_sm_(resized).jpg

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Nice!!
    You could potentially print cab art on the back of a sheet that would protect the art once installed....

Yeah!

Quoted from jwilson:

Can you print white?

Yes....doing a test now with a layer of white.

ALSO: Just been confirmed...A Playfield CAN be printed on wood as long as it's smooth and not more than 2 inches thick!

I gotta tell the Forbidden Planet guys this!!

#60 8 years ago

I will certainly ask the question. You can print on a mirror...

#61 8 years ago

My friend is checking into whats available...

#62 8 years ago

He also said there are some pretty cool acrylics that are very strong and some in colors, etc….

#64 8 years ago

Absolutely! I'm working on a Creature 3D panel as we speak!

#67 8 years ago

As long as it fits the size, it can be printed on. (sizes above)

#69 8 years ago

Yes, he's ready. The response so far has been great....

#70 8 years ago

Working on a "plastics" job now....let's see what happens...

#71 8 years ago

How thick is a playfield?

#73 8 years ago

Great! As long as it's 2 inches or less. Wanna re-theme your game? Sand, smooth and print. Then coat.

#74 8 years ago

Now, come on...would this be a great backglass, or what?

Stooges_in_Oz_(resized).jpgStooges_in_Oz_(resized).jpg

#76 8 years ago

$150 is what we're starting at for the backglasses. Also good if you have a rare one and want a spare to use that won't break!
    Working on 3 projects now. I'll report here how it goes.....

#77 8 years ago

Is there a reason playfield glass is used instead of acrylic? Does it distort to look through?

#79 8 years ago

I don't know. My buddy told me there are different strength acrylic. I'll ask him how durable it would be with a ball strike...thanks!

#81 8 years ago

So you don't think it's worth looking into?

#82 8 years ago

Want your own Pinball Toppers? You do the graphics, I'll print em...

#84 8 years ago

Got ya! Thanks!

#86 8 years ago

Thanks! It's really great that all you Graphic Design Genius Guys/Gals can make up your own custom stuff, send the files and get it made...

#88 8 years ago
    Quoted from forensicd:

This seems perfect!

…and fun!

#91 8 years ago

Yup. And also using a lot of combo items from foreign and domestic posters from the 50's.

#92 8 years ago

Working on a plastics job today. Hopefully I'll have a few pix....

#93 8 years ago

Playing around with 2 level acrylic art panels….

creature_combo_2_TEST_(resized).jpgcreature_combo_2_TEST_(resized).jpg

#95 8 years ago

Good idea! ANYTHING can be done. Got any ideas?

#98 8 years ago

Cool ideas!! Thanks!
    Here is another Creature Concept using the real Creature!

creature_combo_1_TESTa_sm_(resized).jpgcreature_combo_1_TESTa_sm_(resized).jpg

#100 8 years ago

Good idea! You have the art?

#104 8 years ago

Thanks. We're working on a few things for people right now...and still doing some testing.
    Found out it might be better to coat the backglasses (back) with a layer of white vinyl instead of just printing a layer of white.
    stay tuned!

2 weeks later
    #105 8 years ago

A few tests came in today. Some plastics, a speaker panel....and another project...
    Have to work out a couple other things....

IMG_3899_(resized).JPGIMG_3899_(resized).JPG

IMG_3902_(resized).JPGIMG_3902_(resized).JPG

#107 8 years ago

It's a vinyl backing. He's going to print a layer of white before the vinyl. He also has another way of cutting....He'll get there...

#109 8 years ago

Yes. He was trying to just use the vinyl backing the way they do it on pinball backglasses. Wasn't sure if the white ink would be thick enough. Still testing stuff...but it's exciting....

2 weeks later
    #111 8 years ago

Delivered a few plastics and speaker panels. Still testing with backglasses, but should be ok soon.

#113 8 years ago

Believe me...I'm trying. My printing guy has lots of other stuff to do, so I get in when I can....

#118 8 years ago

Cool. Send the scan. I'll try it next printing.

#119 8 years ago

Here are the speaker panels...

IMG_3901_(resized).JPGIMG_3901_(resized).JPG

IMG_3902_copy_(resized).JPGIMG_3902_copy_(resized).JPG

IMG_3901_copy_(resized).JPGIMG_3901_copy_(resized).JPG

1 week later
    #123 7 years ago

Excellent! Glad it worked out.
    Yeah, when I saw the still pic of the animation, I figured that would make a cool avatar!

#124 7 years ago

A few people wanted backglasses, but didn't send the art. I can also make custom backglasses with whatever art you want. Or put you in the picture. I was hoping to have some for Allentown, but everything made was sent out.

#125 7 years ago

Here is the pic, snake...

T2_Pinball_(resized).jpgT2_Pinball_(resized).jpg

t2_art_good.jpg_(resized).jpgt2_art_good.jpg_(resized).jpg

#128 7 years ago

My pleasure! The backglasses came out great too!

#131 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Is it opaque enough, or does it need a vinyl backing?

Been using vinyl backing.

Quoted from markp99:

Do you have any capability to cut simple shapes from printed blanks?

I believe so. Already did a few plastics sets and speaker panels.

#133 7 years ago

As long as they can supply the art, it can be printed on plexi.

1 month later
    #136 7 years ago

Well, my friend took on a bunch of other jobs for the machine that will take him through July. There was simply not much interest here. (I think 4 orders, plastics, speaker cover and backglass) I thought there would be orders for a hundred custom plexi backglasses within a week. Shows what I know!

#138 7 years ago

hah! We had the thought at the same time. You are probably correct....at the time it was just a concept...
    I took the Creature backglass to the Chiller convention and people went nuts.

#140 7 years ago

Well, my guy is busy until after July, so we'll see what happens. Thanks for the reminder.

#143 7 years ago

It was $150 starting for the backglass and I don't remember the other stuff. I'll try to get some kind of price list together when he's done with the other job.

#144 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

So it seems the answer is "yes, but not until after July." Correct? If so, how do I get slotted?

As soon as he finishes the other job (end of July) PM your request and email and I'll forward it to him.

#149 7 years ago

Not sure what "coin tubes" are ....but if they are real tubes, I don't think so....just flat stuff...

#154 7 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

Say I want some custom slings, 1/16 Inch bigger than my art. Do I need to make custom cut lines or will your guy take care of it and the proper holes.

He would need some kind of guide. Remember, these are not "pinball people." I will put people directly in contact with him after July.

#159 7 years ago

I don't have files for anything except the custom back glasses I've made up myself.

#162 7 years ago

Hi. Never got as far as getting a price list. Only did a few jobs.
    The "chipping" wasn't on the plastic, it was the vinyl on the back that was flaking. Yes, been solved.

I think it can print on just about anything as long as it's flat and the size I quoted somewhere in this thread.
    Not sure how they are cut. I'll ask everything when I meet with my buddy after July.
    Pretty much any format as long as it's as high rez as you can get and actual size. I mean anything will work…it's just how good you want the resolution.

1 month later
    #168 7 years ago

Let me find out. There was so little response to this that my guy took another big job for the machine. I think the plexi backglasses were $150.
    I'll find out what his current status is.

#171 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rody:

the big jobs pay for the machine much more expediently than pinball work trickling in would.

For sure. When he first asked me, I told him probably hundreds of people would like a custom plexiglass backglass. In months we made 4 and 2 were my samples!

#178 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rody:

I'm stoked on the opportunity to bring a few ideas to fruition, as I believe many are, but a bit more formal structure to facilitate it is needed.
    Just a few well intentioned critiques...I am hopeful this comes to fruition for y'all.

Hi. Yes...at first i was just looking for help, guidance, and I did make a few samples. Only heard from a few people.
    I really thought people would like the custom stuff. Putting themselves, wives, girlfriends, kids, etc on the backglass.
    And don't forget, this is really not a job for me. I was just trying to help when my friend got the machine.
    Anyway, thanks for all the kind help. I'll see what happens.

Aurich, yes, let's chat and see what we can come up with.

I thought you all would like to see my new iPhone case!

#180 7 years ago

You can get them here from Morgan...but they sell out QUICK!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MorgansMutations?ref=hdr_shop_menu

There was a bunch...only 3 left!

#186 7 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

ohhh.. sold out, but already sketching my own. I'm already working on turning an old pc into a creepy necromicon, why not add a new phone jacket.
    Thanks for the link.

No problem. Yeah, his stuff usually sells out the same day no matter how many he puts up. I requested a custom order and bribed him.

#187 7 years ago

You're probably right, vid!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spfxted.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ted-with-a-pinball-idea-and-i-need-your-opinion?tu=spfxted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.