3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 188 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by VacFink
  • Topic is favorited by 78 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 21 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SW_Resized_Backglass_(resized).jpg
    SG_Grill_2_(resized).jpg
    SG_Grill_1_(resized).jpg
    t2_art_good.jpg_(resized).jpg
    T2_Pinball_(resized).jpg
    20160407_182631[1]_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3901_copy_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3902_copy_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3901_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3902_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3899_(resized).JPG
    creature_combo_1_TESTa_sm_(resized).jpg
    creature_combo_2_TEST_(resized).jpg
    Stooges_in_Oz_(resized).jpg
    pinball_backglass_test_1A_sm_(resized).jpg
    plate_(resized).jpg

There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 2 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

Can he make coin tubes for Safecracker? I can get dimensions if you need. I know it's 19 in long and between 1 1/2-1 3/4 wide

If they're what I think they are. Couldn't you cut some 1 1/2-1 3/4 PVC pipe for them?

#152 2 years ago

We need to know what is required on our part, art files (types and DIM's), money, time...etc.

Say I want some custom slings, 1/16 Inch bigger than my art. Do I need to make custom cut lines or will your guy take care of it and the proper holes.

Or will your guy have a set list of items/prices?

#153 2 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Well, my friend took on a bunch of other jobs for the machine that will take him through July. There was simply not much interest here. (I think 4 orders, plastics, speaker cover and backglass) I thought there would be orders for a hundred custom plexi backglasses within a week. Shows what I know!

I think the title and description is a little ambiguous. If you had a set list of products, I'm sure people would get excited. It would probably require a lot investment of time and money. I'm sure there are things I might need later but I'm not sure right now. The speaker panel turned out great though.

#154 2 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

Say I want some custom slings, 1/16 Inch bigger than my art. Do I need to make custom cut lines or will your guy take care of it and the proper holes.

He would need some kind of guide. Remember, these are not "pinball people." I will put people directly in contact with him after July.

#155 2 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

If they're what I think they are. Couldn't you cut some 1 1/2-1 3/4 PVC pipe for them?

1 1/2 is too small, 1 3/4 isn't available in PVC. I ordered it in a different material but that was too big. The stuff I ordered it it was expensive so it was a $45 waste of money..I don't want to keep throwing darts at the dartboard

#156 2 years ago

I'm very surprised there wasn't much interest here. It had to be related to the title. This is the first time I've come across the post.

#157 2 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

1 1/2 is too small, 1 3/4 isn't available in PVC. I ordered it in a different material but that was too big. The stuff I ordered it it was expensive so it was a $45 waste of money..I don't want to keep throwing darts at the dartboard

Ahh ok I was getting 1 1/4" mixed up with 1 3/4"

#158 2 years ago

Would buy a new Top Score backglass if you have files

#159 2 years ago

I don't have files for anything except the custom back glasses I've made up myself.

#160 2 years ago

Just tuning into this thread again after not visiting for a while, so pardon if these questions have been answered and I just missed 'em:

a) How much to print and cut a set of plastics?
    b) How much just to print (but not cut) a set of plastics?
    c) Have the issues with the chipping plastics been worked out yet?

Thanks, Ted!

Sincerely,
    Ryan

#161 2 years ago

Ted,
    Sorry I skimmed the thread, not sure if these questions were answered.

What material can he print on: Acrylic, PETG?, Polycarbonate? Primed Painted wood? Glass?

How are the parts cut out? Laser? Router?

What format file? What DPI? Raster or vector?

Thanks,
    Bob

#162 2 years ago

Hi. Never got as far as getting a price list. Only did a few jobs.
    The "chipping" wasn't on the plastic, it was the vinyl on the back that was flaking. Yes, been solved.

I think it can print on just about anything as long as it's flat and the size I quoted somewhere in this thread.
    Not sure how they are cut. I'll ask everything when I meet with my buddy after July.
    Pretty much any format as long as it's as high rez as you can get and actual size. I mean anything will work…it's just how good you want the resolution.

#163 2 years ago

I need to get scans of Crescendo's plastics....since nobody else will go in with me for a run of licenced silkscreened ones... *grumble*

#164 2 years ago

My Batman Forever could use a new speaker panel but I have no way of getting you the art. To make matters worse the channel that holds the bg on the wood speaker panel is stapled on and if I break it to get the speaker panel plastic off I'm SOL cuz it's an unobtainium part cuz BF is a wide body.

1 month later
    #165 2 years ago

Ted,

Bumping this back up as it is now after July

Any more progress on this? I have a custom game in the works and this may be just the ticket for the backglass and plastics.

cheers,

rody

#166 2 years ago

Nice, just found this thread. Any ideas on the cost to get a something like this printed in 26 x 22.5 ? I've got a higher quality file in TIFF or PNG if needed.

SW_Resized_Backglass_(resized).jpg

#167 2 years ago

Could really use a speaker panel for my waterworld Ted........

#168 2 years ago

Let me find out. There was so little response to this that my guy took another big job for the machine. I think the plexi backglasses were $150.
    I'll find out what his current status is.

#169 2 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

... my guy took another big job for the machine.

Thanks for following up Ted...the big jobs pay for the machine much more expediently than pinball work trickling in would. It's the willing attitude to help move our small hobby forward that is worth the wait.

cheers,

rody

#170 2 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Let me find out. There was so little response to this that my guy took another big job for the machine. I think the plexi backglasses were $150.
    I'll find out what his current status is.

Thanks, let me know!

#171 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rody:

the big jobs pay for the machine much more expediently than pinball work trickling in would.

For sure. When he first asked me, I told him probably hundreds of people would like a custom plexiglass backglass. In months we made 4 and 2 were my samples!

#172 2 years ago

Love to have you run a custom marquee for my Millipede/Centipede combo, once I finish the art. Hopefully a couple of weeks out.

#173 2 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

For sure. When he first asked me, I told him probably hundreds of people would like a custom plexiglass backglass. In months we made 4 and 2 were my samples!

Ted,

I think the slow engagement you've experienced is not an issue with desire, it's typical of organic exposure.

Had you presented the niche with a product that had;

- a rock solid process with consistent product results
    - known compatible product materials and capabilities
    - price structure
    - order process and timelines
    - lots of examples of the product

I believe the response would have been more aligned to your expectations.

Instead, the feel I got from the start was..."hey, check out this new opportunity for making pinball backglass and plastics. We're going to experiment a little and see what we can do." As you know, many do not want to be financially on the front end of new ideas/products, so choose to wait until all the kinks are ironed out.

If your business partner is sincere about filling large order down time with pinball products, a bit of diligence toward these concerns would certainly increase awareness, build desire, and provide a consistent revenue stream.

I'm stoked on the opportunity to bring a few ideas to fruition, as I believe many are, but a bit more formal structure to facilitate it is needed.

Just a few well intentioned critiques...I am hopeful this comes to fruition for y'all.

cheers,

rody

#174 2 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Ted, as a T2 club deserter, you should feel obligated to help me out with the Waterworld speaker panel.

#175 2 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

It's a great idea. Most people don't have the ability to create custom backglasses though. You need at least a little graphics experience, some somewhat decent software, access to high resolution art (tricky for a lot of things) and the ability to put all of those pieces together for a project.

Far from impossible for anyone with some motivation, but a bit out of the reach of "hundreds of people" I think, without some kind of turnkey operation.

If I can get free time for pinball projects again I have something that would require a lot of plastic printing, in bulk not a one-off. Maybe we can talk about it at some point.

#176 2 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Part of the hurdle is that potential customers have to provide the scans/artwork. If you had a single-click button to buy, I'm sure the printing machine would be quite busy.

I have a few things on my backburner that I'd like to scan, redraw, and print, but that all takes a fair amount of time.

#177 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:Part of the hurdle is that potential customers have to provide the scans/artwork

That's my problem with my BF speaker panel, if I take it off something's gonna break.

#178 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rody:

I'm stoked on the opportunity to bring a few ideas to fruition, as I believe many are, but a bit more formal structure to facilitate it is needed.
    Just a few well intentioned critiques...I am hopeful this comes to fruition for y'all.

Hi. Yes...at first i was just looking for help, guidance, and I did make a few samples. Only heard from a few people.
    I really thought people would like the custom stuff. Putting themselves, wives, girlfriends, kids, etc on the backglass.
    And don't forget, this is really not a job for me. I was just trying to help when my friend got the machine.
    Anyway, thanks for all the kind help. I'll see what happens.

Aurich, yes, let's chat and see what we can come up with.

I thought you all would like to see my new iPhone case!

#179 2 years ago

Good grief, that's creepy looking.

#180 2 years ago

You can get them here from Morgan...but they sell out QUICK!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MorgansMutations?ref=hdr_shop_menu

There was a bunch...only 3 left!

#181 2 years ago

Ted. Sent you a request to pass along. I'll stand by and see what comes of it. Thanks.

#182 2 years ago

I think I'd like to have my Star_Trek:MU backglass redone in 3/16 plexi. I need to finalize the artwork a bit; so let me know when you think he'll have some free time to get it printed!

Can he do the sliver, light blocking layer?

#183 2 years ago

I would need one plastic for my SM, but sadly I do not have the scan needed: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-spidey-members-and-guests-welcome/page/3#post-2939623

#184 2 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

You can get them here from Morgan...but they sell out QUICK!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MorgansMutations?ref=hdr_shop_menu

There was a bunch...only 3 left!

ohhh.. sold out, but already sketching my own. I'm already working on turning an old pc into a creepy necromicon, why not add a new phone jacket.

Thanks for the link.

#185 2 years ago

I think the title of this thread just did not "sell" the exciting product that this actually is.

If it was "Print your own Plexi Backglass $150", the sales would have taken off......

#186 2 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

ohhh.. sold out, but already sketching my own. I'm already working on turning an old pc into a creepy necromicon, why not add a new phone jacket.
    Thanks for the link.

No problem. Yeah, his stuff usually sells out the same day no matter how many he puts up. I requested a custom order and bribed him.

#187 2 years ago

You're probably right, vid!

#188 2 years ago

That said, if the owner is interested in one-off prints, can you post in the homebrew section with details on cost, files size/specs/format. I'd rather go directly to a known party than try to hash out a process with a local sign printer and hope I can get a usable version in four or five versions.

I think the real hurdle is licensing, you may get cut off at the knees trying to modify a backglass using licensed materials in bulk. One off, that's arguable as fair use, but multiples changes things quickly.

Its why Prints on Wood won't let you use non-original art.

An entirely custom version, using no licensed source material would be possible but limited volumes would still be needed, its why etsy folks get away with so much, the volume's not worth pursuing individuals.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 29.95
    $ 1,400.00
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 64.00
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 5,800.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Women
    The Flipper Room
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 11.95
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 16.00
    $ 146.66
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside