3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 188 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by VacFink
  • Topic is favorited by 78 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 21 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SW_Resized_Backglass_(resized).jpg
    SG_Grill_2_(resized).jpg
    SG_Grill_1_(resized).jpg
    t2_art_good.jpg_(resized).jpg
    T2_Pinball_(resized).jpg
    20160407_182631[1]_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3901_copy_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3902_copy_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3901_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3902_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3899_(resized).JPG
    creature_combo_1_TESTa_sm_(resized).jpg
    creature_combo_2_TEST_(resized).jpg
    Stooges_in_Oz_(resized).jpg
    pinball_backglass_test_1A_sm_(resized).jpg
    plate_(resized).jpg

There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 3 years ago

OK, Pinsiders…I want to run something by you. A little while ago, my friend, who has a printing factory, bought a $175,000 machine for a job. He asked me what else we could create using this machine.

When he told me what it could do, I immediately thought of Pinball. He can direct print on plexiglass (or just about anything) and cut to fit. Plexiglass up to 2 inches thick! So I said, lets try to make a plexi back glass…then plastics, speaker panels, or anything else for a Pinball Machine.

We decided to run a few tests. I took a bunch of Creature From the Black Lagoon foreign and domestic posters from the 50's and separated a bunch of elements. Then I put them together in a size that would fit a Pinball Backglass.

As I was doing this I realized…Hey, wouldn't it be neat to put myself and my wife in there. Then I said….whoa!…we can customize ANYTHING! Imagine T2 with your own disintegrating face in there…or Tron with your girlfriend. Anyway, you get the idea.

The inks used are UV protected and these plexiglass images can even be used outside or in direct sunlight and still last VERY long.

I tried the Creature test back glass in a machine to check for fit and density of inks. You need it to light up nice without the bulbs showing through. The first test we tried just the ink without a background of white. No good, you could still see faded bulbs. When we put white paper behind it, it looked just fine. We will be printing out another test this week.

My question is…..is this something you guys could use? What would be a good price point?
    Don't forget…you could make up YOUR OWN custom files and they could be printed and cut for a back glass, plastics, speaker panel, etc.

AND, we can also make 3D art. One plexi panel with an image on the back and another bolted to the front to make a cool art piece to frame and put on the wall, or a light box!

You guys may have other ideas. Let me know and I'll see if it's possible.

PLEX CUSTOM ART may be coming soon! ….who needs breakable glass when we have plexiglass!

plexback_1_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3579_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3580_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3577_(resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

Very nice! Hard to tell from a photo, what were your impressions of the overall translucence and color saturation?

#3 3 years ago

Colors were fantastic. We just need to see how much white to use.
    If you blow up one of the 2nd Creature pix you can get an idea of the quality. It's as good as the file.

#4 3 years ago

That other Thread about needing a Mars God of War backglass…… should be no problem as long as we have the art files...

#5 3 years ago

Find a consumer need and fill it!
    I'll be a buyer when you work out the kinks.
    Have to think about some practical and pinball uses. Love technology moving the needle forward.

#6 3 years ago

Yer a fkn rockstar Ted ! That looks spectacular ! I'm sure a lot of Mustang guys (all 10 of us) would love to have their Stang on the backglass...too bad I have a Corvette.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks Vyzer. Yes, being able to make any custom back glass is neat. It's 1/8 inch thick and all you need is the one piece. You slip it into the "lifting thingy" on the bottom and slide it right in. (and no more broken glass)

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Yer a fkn rockstar Ted ! That looks spectacular ! I'm sure a lot of Mustang guys (all 10 of us) would love to have their Stang on the backglass...too bad I have a Corvette.

YES! We can have you driving your own car on there!

[I have to run a few errands, but will check this when I get back] THANKS GUYS!

#9 3 years ago

I'm guessing no black out on the back, just full art work for fully lit trans-lights? Or could a vinyl mask be adhered to back?

#10 3 years ago

Yes, that could be done. We will be testing stuff all next week.

#11 3 years ago

Awesome!

#12 3 years ago

Stargate speaker panels. For some reason, they go missing frequently, but they are NLA.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Stargate speaker panels. For some reason, they go missing frequently, but they are NLA.

No problem!

#14 3 years ago

Can you get me an art file?

#15 3 years ago

Ted, what size art file do you need for translites?

#16 3 years ago

Here's the Creature backglass with me in the bottom right picture. (with cigar!)
    The TOP right picture we can put in whatever you want. Your company logo, or use your imagination...

pinball_backglass_test_1_ted_(resized).jpg

#17 3 years ago

I need a glass for my zees peek. I currently have an ice cold beer on it. Sounds like something you could do?

#18 3 years ago

This is awesome! Look fwd to seeing what all can be done with this.

#19 3 years ago

What about a playfield glass for Pinball 2000? They are tinted at the far end for the reflection... The "art" would just be black/grayscale I'd guess...

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#20 3 years ago

Sounds like there could be some very, very, very, very, very sexy Baywatch backplexis coming down the pipe soon.

#21 3 years ago

Yes…you digital gurus can create whatever you want and just give me the files.

rkahr ----do you mean print on the glass itself? I have to ask about that…

#22 3 years ago

Ive needed a new Mr & Mrs pacman backglass for years. Printing on this would be great

#23 3 years ago

Yes. This is a great product. Very cool.

#24 3 years ago

Hey Ted...I drew a blank at pinball and kept coming back to better pictures of Chinese Food at the take out places!

plate_(resized).jpg

#25 3 years ago

We can do that too!

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

Ive needed a new Mr & Mrs pacman backglass for years. Printing on this would be great

Because of the smaller size that would work great. My Eight Ball Deluxe LE has a plastic panel on front of the displays so if someone needed a backglass for that game (which many do) a plexiglass panel would look right at home.

#27 3 years ago

Yes, that would look great!

#29 3 years ago

Probably. Max 2 inches thick. hmmmmm

#30 3 years ago

Yes.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Hey Ted...I drew a blank at pinball and kept coming back to better pictures of Chinese Food at the take out places!

plate_(resized).jpg

Id take 2 of these.

One translite with MSG and one without MSG.

#32 3 years ago

Ted,

Any way I can get one of those Creature translites from the original lobby card? Just beautiful art all the way around.

#34 3 years ago

How about a set of TSPP plastics?

#35 3 years ago

Well Damn. I could use this to make a backglass (or whatever) for my Apocalypse Now.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Any way I can get one of those Creature translites from the original lobby card? Just beautiful art all the way around.

No problem!

There has been a lot of interest and we're trying to figure out a good price point as Plexi is not cheap. Do you think $149 is ok?

#37 3 years ago

Simply awesome idea Ted! If you need any help with the art aspect of it let me know. I have a buddy who has some real talent. He and a colleague came up with the monster logo.

#38 3 years ago

Excellent! Thanks!! This is gonna be fun!

#39 3 years ago

Thanks for all the PM's guys!

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

rkahr ----do you mean print on the glass itself? I have to ask about that…

Correct - I assume the original plexi is clear.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#41 3 years ago

A few questions I will try to answer.
    If we can print on glass.
    If we can fill in images on an existing backglass.
    Stay tuned....
    I'll also do a Podcast about all the stuff we're thinking about....

#42 3 years ago

How bout a cheaper alternative to the back board plexi for scared stiff? The one at the back of the playfield with the lightning bolt/ electric look that is lit from behind with flashers.

#43 3 years ago

It can be made either from the original art or a custom job

#44 3 years ago

Very cool!

If this is a go, I'd love to redo the artwork on my woody, then have a nice clear one printed with you guys.

#45 3 years ago

Only issue I see with creech is that the word "creature" isn't going to be lit up one letter at a time with the whirlpool.

#46 3 years ago

Cool...I will hit you up when I re theme my Black Pyramid to Black Sabbath

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Only issue I see with creech is that the word "creature" isn't going to be lit up one letter at a time with the whirlpool.

Yes, a few people have written to me about this. The letters could always be moved. I just have to overlay mine with the original and line up the letters.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

No problem!
    There has been a lot of interest and we're trying to figure out a good price point as Plexi is not cheap. Do you think $149 is ok?

That's reasonable.

#49 3 years ago

Ok...now we just gotta figure out plastics and speaker panels...

#50 3 years ago

What's the largest sheet size it can print on?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 104.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 11.95
    $ 39.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
    Flashinstinct
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 27.50
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside