(Topic ID: 197878)

Technoplay's "Scramble" for $100. Yes or no?

By dyopp21

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8217 (resized).JPG
Scr10 (resized).jpeg
Scr3 (resized).jpeg
Scr2 (resized).jpeg

#1 6 years ago

I have an opportunity to buy a local machine but I know nothing about the manufacturer. I assume it doesn't work but I haven't gotten all the deets yet. The backglass and playfield look to be in rather good shape, but of course I'm worried about the board, and the availability of parts.

An advise on how hard it would be to find a board, or even get a board of this type repaired would be appreciated. Also, what about general parts like coils? Are there crossover parts that would work? (i.e. Williams coils will work in Sega Sonic games, etc)

Thanks in advance.

Scr3 (resized).jpegScr3 (resized).jpegScr10 (resized).jpegScr10 (resized).jpegScr2 (resized).jpegScr2 (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

yes

#3 6 years ago

Hell to the yes.

#4 6 years ago

I bought it 10 minutes ago. =Þ

#5 6 years ago

Oh god yes. I would happily pay much more than that without ever plugging the game in.

Looks like a Mark Ritchie design.

Good luck!

#6 6 years ago

No! That is a horrible price, run away! Are you crazy??

#7 6 years ago

How many Technoplays even exist, let alone in the US? I've never even seen one and I've been to a good number of pinball shows, large locations, and PAPA.

#8 6 years ago

Buy it for $100, sell it to me for $200. Easy peasy $100 in your pocket!

#9 6 years ago

According to IPDB, it uses a lot of Zaccaria boards and parts (except the sound board). That's definitely good news:

"Notes: Uses Zaccaria CPU, power supply, driver boards, and 8-digit displays. Uses a Tecnoplay specific sound board."

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=scramble&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

Also, the ROMS are available for download if needed.

I'd also make sure it has all the boards shown in this pic:

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=3557&picno=40750&zoom=1

#10 6 years ago

4+ hours since OP posed his question and hasn't replied, hope he was reading our comments in route to get this machine!

#11 6 years ago

Technoplay is the name Zaccaria rebranded themselves with. Should be heavily compatible with Zaccaria parts.

#12 6 years ago

We would LOVE to have that game at the Ann Arbor pinball museum. if you want to sell it, please let us know!
[email protected]

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball4ever:

According to IPDB, it uses a lot of Zaccaria boards and parts (except the sound board). That's definitely good news:
"Notes: Uses Zaccaria CPU, power supply, driver boards, and 8-digit displays. Uses a Tecnoplay specific sound board."
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=scramble&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick
Also, the ROMS are available for download if needed.
I'd also make sure it has all the boards shown in this pic:
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=3557&picno=40750&zoom=1

And if the machine didn't have the boards, you would pass for $100? I would load it up and not ask a single question.

#14 6 years ago

This thread should have never been made, ya bonehead!!

#16 6 years ago

Well while researching this game I found this thread...I am the one who purchased it...I have known the seller and as soon as I saw it I bought it for his actual asking price on a local face book selling site of 150.oo. I bought it purely because of condition and it had good subject matter (motorcycles).
Upon reading your comments, I see that I did good....LOL...I will keep you informed of it's progress. I was happy to see some new parts in a bag inside, and complete schematics of the boards. I welcome any help as this will be my first restore, although I have been restoring antique cars and electronics for over 30 years....

#17 6 years ago

Glad you picked it up, @rustmonkies. I've got 11 project machines in front of me already, and that's on top of maintaining 20 machines in a public arcade in Millington and just didn't know anything about the machine so was hesitant to take it on.

Glad it went to someone new in the hobby! Good luck with the restore.

#18 6 years ago

Thanks..one day I will have to come out and see your machines....I have a game room that I am creating based around a 1959 valley coin op pool table. I have some 1959 impalas and it was just natural that I wanted that table....I will put a few pinball machines and the foosball table...I will post some pics. Thanks for the encourgement

#19 6 years ago

Rustmonkies absolutely. Join us for a Friday night tournament some time! 7:30.

IMG_8217 (resized).JPGIMG_8217 (resized).JPG

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Glad you picked it up, rustmonkies. I've got 11 project machines in front of me already, and that's on top of maintaining 20 machines in a public arcade in Millington and just didn't know anything about the machine so was hesitant to take it on.

And why were you wasting our time asking us if you should buy it?

#21 6 years ago

Because sometimes you need that extra convincing

#22 6 years ago

the game is rare as all shit. I scoured the planet looking for another owner because I was having problems with mine. If you know zaccarias, you will understand this game just fine.

Technoplay is basically zaccaria. instead of 3 brothers, they made another company with just the 2 of them. but was still producing zaccaria games at the same time as technoplay. Why they were making games side by side. i have no idea.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

And why were you wasting our time asking us if you should buy it?

You've made over 2300 posts on Pinside. You answered my question originally with a simple "yes." Jesus H tittyfucking Christ, just how valuable is your time?

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

You've made over 2300 posts on Pinside.

WTH does that have to do with anything? Anyone asking if a project game (much less one that looks halfway NICE) is worth 100 bucks is probably going to get pee-pee-slapped. It's ludicrous. Parts alone, backglass alone, boards alone worth that... I don't recommend or even support parting out games, but asking if a 100 buck pin is a "good deal".....lol... it takes a hell of a lot for it to NOT be.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

WTH does that have to do with anything? Anyone asking if a project game (much less one that looks halfway NICE) is worth 100 bucks is probably going to get pee-pee-slapped. It's ludicrous. Parts alone, backglass alone, boards alone worth that... I don't recommend or even support parting out games, but asking if a 100 buck pin is a "good deal".....lol... it takes a hell of a lot for it to NOT be.

Fair enough. However I probably look at buying pins from a different viewpoint than some, or maybe even most. Since all my pins go into an arcade, I want to be able to fix them. If parts aren't available then it's just not something I want to take on. I admit I probably should've worded the topic differently. Maybe something like, "Before I purchase, will I be able to find parts for this?" It wasn't about price really.

I'll never buy one to part it out for profit, or to simply flip it. I want to dig in and get my hands dirty.

#26 6 years ago

something like this, I just snag instantly and worry about parts later. Most of these obscure manufacturers you can't substitute common parts with them.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

However I probably look at buying pins from a different viewpoint than some, or maybe even most. Since all my pins go into an arcade, I want to be able to fix them. If parts aren't available then it's just not something I want to take on.

I hear ya. I haven't ever bought a game exclusively to flip it. I HAVE flipped games as a result of circumstances at the time, that I've done no work on, but they're never purchased with the intent to do that. =|

Just saying....if the number of posts means that "more posts = less value of your own time" then I guess people that haven't ever played pinball are infinitely more brilliant and profitable than we all are, and every post you make means you're less worthless. I don't buy that. I'm willing to bet there are plenty of other people that don't post from home, as I rarely ever do. Anyone that cared to observe my post history would notice over the last year there's a dearth of anything from me on two specific days, because I don't have time to troll forums at home, LOL.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Fair enough. However I probably look at buying pins from a different viewpoint than some, or maybe even most. Since all my pins go into an arcade, I want to be able to fix them. If parts aren't available then it's just not something I want to take on. I admit I probably should've worded the topic differently. Maybe something like, "Before I purchase, will I be able to find parts for this?" It wasn't about price really.
I'll never buy one to part it out for profit, or to simply flip it. I want to dig in and get my hands dirty.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

something like this, I just snag instantly and worry about parts later. Most of these obscure manufacturers you can't substitute common parts with them.

Even if the game is dead or missing boards, I would still grab a rare find. However, obscure stuff is sometimes tougher to sell afterwards just because there is no familiarity or nostalgia attached, unlike well-known games, and the demand tends to be much lower.

As long as you're not in a huge rush to restore a game, I can usually find the parts I need over the span of a few months between various online sources, various shows, WTB ads, and just talking to folks. To me, this is like treasure hunting.

The only downside to repairing rare games is that they aren't documented nearly as thoroughly as more mainstream games. So you have to be prepared to do research (which I enjoy), a lot of troubleshooting (which can sometimes get frustrating), and some trial & error repair attempts.

#29 6 years ago

Unless it's a rare game one of euro collectors is looking for. Those are pretty easy to move. Safe bet. If it's euro and it's $100. Buy it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/technoplays-scramble-for-100-yes-or-no?hl=duvall and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.