Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Richthofen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    tv front (resized).jpg
    vcr (resized).jpg
    8192282876_79cf2b6d11 (resized).jpg
    2016-06-13_14.46.07_(resized).jpg
    8629759687_30305be7ef_(resized).jpg
    1e17063ab7e0d82b47274d493370bb55_(resized).jpg
    032d1d40f06200689c4fa57159902fab_(resized).jpg
    big30_(resized).JPG
    SeenSay_(resized).jpg
    CustomPunchcard.jpg
    Media.jpg
    PunchCard.jpg
    Terminator.jpg
    ReelTape.jpg
    OpticalCassette2.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 8 years ago

I was a little kid in the 80s, but my family did get the original IBM PC, with dual floppy drives (no hard drive). I still have it, packed up in its original box. It may even still work. I want to set it up some day and find out -- boot up the good ol' DOS 1.0 and see if I can get King's Quest or Hitchhiker's Guide running.

When I was about 7 years old, I began teaching myself programming by copying the programs out of the back of BYTE Magazine, and then modifying the code. Our elementary school had a very good computer program as well, where we learned LOGO, a simple programming language for drawing shapes procedurally.

1 week later
    #36 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

You are so correct; It's been a while since I even held one in my hand... let alone cut the slot out on the other side to get double sided storage. I was out of my office until this morning.... and wanted to include some extra fun.
    The standard is "pics or it did not happen... so". I included a marker in the shots to give some scale.
    8", 5 1/4" and a 3.5" Floppy
    FloppiesX3.jpg
    PunchCard
    PunchCard.jpg
    6150 Cassette Tape
    6150Cassette.jpg
    Bernoulli Cartridge - VERY 80's tech. This was cutting edge at the time. "Infinite Storage"
    Bernoulli_Cassette.jpg
    Mainframe B&T Terminator
    Terminator.jpg
    Standard Reel-Reel tape
    ReelTape.jpg
    After reels, the 3490E was the standard
    3490E.jpg
    This little bad-boy is an 3850 Mass Storage cartridge. Stored in a hard plastic shell, it sits in a honeycomb of cells. Once the robot gets the request, the cell is addressed, the shell is removed and the robot mounts the tape. Early 90's but still fun.
    MasstoreCassette.jpg
    MasstoreCassette2.jpg
    Boring DLT Tape
    DLTcassette.jpg
    This is my favorite. Definitely 90's tech, but it needs to go in the mix.
    This is a 7GB optical platter. That huge floppy disk design has real glass inside. We burned these onsite for long term storage. I pulled it open so you can see the platter.... it's just like a huge floppy. Heavy too.
    OpticalCassette.jpg
    OpticalCassette2.jpg
    Getting the S1 Drive out is a PITA.. but you can see it on the bottom of my media collection
    Media.jpg
    faz

Splunk is overpriced. Just set up an elastic / logstash / Kibana stack for free instead.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/technology-from-the-80s?tu=pezpunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.