(Topic ID: 78767)

Tech:Fixed TAF,resets when either flipper button pressed.

By starbase

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by scottc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WPC_Fliptronics_I_Board.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Just had my new TAF delivered yesterday via NAVL/STI. Game powers up fine but once you start a game and hit flipper buttons game resets (goes into initial setup where the bookcase motor moves).

Game shipped problem free but showed up with one error in test "Check switch F7 U.L. Flipper E.O.S.". In single switch test all flippers seems to function properly when manually pushed to end of stroke.

I have gone through and re-seated all ribbon cables and checked for broken wires but nothing stands out. Any help is always greatly appreciated.

#2 10 years ago

I would use the pinwiki approach for typical reset issues. However, since it left working I would start with your wall voltage.

#3 10 years ago

Could be any number of things... here is a good read:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

#4 10 years ago

Burnt connectors have always caused this problem for me. I would check at j101 and 102 connectors.. If they are brown that means they need to be replace both board side and off board. Also j114..

#5 10 years ago

1.) Check your wall voltage. 120VAC or close?
2.) Does the problem occur when you hit JUST the left flipper? I ask this because the error you are seeing is significant. Go into the switch test mode, hit the right flipper and you should see a switch toggle for both the lower right EOS switch and the upper right EOS. The flipper might appear to be functioning properly, but if the EOS switch is broken or not making contact, then you are drawing an awful lot of extra current/voltage through the flippers.
3.) Check the main boards for burnt connectors. J101, 102...and I think 114 or 115 are common culprits.

#6 10 years ago

Recently had reset issues on my TAF. Booted fine, but would reset when both flippers were activated at the same time.

The main filter caps were bad, well 3 of the 5. The worst one measured at 10,800uf .

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

1.) Check your wall voltage. 120VAC or close?
2.) Does the problem occur when you hit JUST the left flipper? I ask this because the error you are seeing is significant. Go into the switch test mode, hit the right flipper and you should see a switch toggle for both the lower right EOS switch and the upper right EOS. The flipper might appear to be functioning properly, but if the EOS switch is broken or not making contact, then you are drawing an awful lot of extra current/voltage through the flippers.
3.) Check the main boards for burnt connectors. J101, 102...and I think 114 or 115 are common culprits.

Either button pressed and it resets. Does not need to be both at same time, one does it.

#8 10 years ago

tighten the grounding / mounting screws that hold the driver board in place . . .

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Game shipped problem free but showed up with one error in test "Check switch F7 U.L. Flipper E.O.S.". In single switch test all flippers seems to function properly when manually pushed to end of stroke.

Check connector J806 on the Fliptronics I board in the upper left hand corner of the backbox.

RM

WPC_Fliptronics_I_Board.JPGWPC_Fliptronics_I_Board.JPG
#10 10 years ago

I would also reset all your ribbon cables . Generally the ones that go from the CPU board.

#11 10 years ago

Don't know about reset, but need to check wires at all flippers for eos error.

#12 10 years ago

Re-seating a second time seems to have done it. No more resets and game is playing well. Thanks all for tips.

#13 10 years ago

reseat all connectors on the power board...I cant look right now but j114 0r j109 0r j102 0r j110 ring a bell but reseating all of them should solve it. I had this happen to my ij and tz at different times but reseating two molexes solves it all the time for me. I just cant remember which two molexes they are....I'll see if I can find the paper I wrote it down on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 180.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 29.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/techjust-delivered-tafresets-when-either-flipper-button-pressed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.