View topic image gallery

hulk_7.JPG
hulk_6.JPG
hulk_5.JPG
hulk_4.JPG
hulk_3.JPG
hulk_2.JPG
hulk_1.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider examiner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 11 years ago

When it's in "problem mode" and consistently not behaving correctly, I would disconnect everything from the CPU except the coin door/slam switch connector and one of the displays. Do you get the 5 second delay then? If yes, add the second display and try again. If it still boots, you've got an issue with the CPU/driver board connector or the playfield itself.

You might try this same test when the machine is cold so you know what to expect on the displays when the CPU boots correctly, but it should be the standard 5 second delay before they kick in.

If it won't boot, disconnect the single display you have connected (power off of course) and connect the other to see if the display is causing a boot problem.

If the board won't consistently boot in this limited connector configuration - absent some type of problem with the slam switch - I'd probably resign myself to the fact there is an unknown (and difficult to diagnose) issue with the CPU board. The last thing I'd probably do before deciding on a new board would be the slam switch modification (got nothing to lose at this point, right?). That way you can take that particular connector out of the equation too and truly isolate the CPU to see if it is booting.

If you truly isolate the issue down to "the machine won't boot properly when it's warmed up", you can start selectively hitting some chips with a little freeze spray while it's having problems (I'd do power off, don't go too overboard) and see if cooling any of them down has any positive impact. Good luck, these things can be a bitch.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from mstire:

I like this approach of isolating everything and putting it back together one connector at a time.

All of these suckers are complicated, and I find that the more variables I can remove from the equation, the easier it is to eliminate potential causes of the problems.

While it sure sounds like you have a CPU issue, this way you will be able to know for sure if it's the CPU board or if there is something on the playfield or the displays that are contributing to the wacky behavior. Nothing worse than ordering a new part, waiting on it to arrive, installing it......and realizing nothing has changed. Especially something expensive like a board.

Wouldn't hurt to reseat any socketed chips on the CPU (might only be one) just for the heck of it.

As an alternative, you could leave it in a cold room, turn it on in the morning, and never turn it off again all day! Or did I read your OP wrong - does it actually reboot itself, or is everything OK until you turn in on and then try to turn it off again?

greg

1 week later
#19 11 years ago
Quoted from mstire:

The Hulk is fixed!

Good to hear, that's always a satisfying moment.

Quoted from lb45:

What does it mean "GPE" ?

Great Plains Electronics - a retailer in the USA

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 7.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massillon, OH
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider examiner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/techgottlieb-hulk-system-1-boot-problems?tu=examiner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.