4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pwedge
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pwedge.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

Pretty sure it is trying to test Capt B Zar’s head during those freezes . I’ve noticed my machine’s attract mode lights stutter ever so slightly when his head movement is tested Each time the game is first turned on. I suspect the test would time out at each stage of his head doesn’t move, or the associated switches for sensing position are broken

Your head didn’t move at all on power on. Is it broken?

#4 4 years ago

Just unplugged the Capt B Zar motor on my game and power it on. It showed the exact same lengthy freezes as your video. Given that, it is safe to say those freezes can be attributed to the head not working.

Hopefully your new motor control board takes care of things.

#6 4 years ago

I’ve never played with the P-5 ROM, so I don’t even know if it does a head test when first powered on. If it does, then a ROM disassembly would be necessary between the two versions to see why they behave differently. I do hardware and software professionally, so spending off hours looking at 6809 assembly doesn’t sound too fun right now

If I had to take a guess, we are dealing with an early WPC machine where the programmers were still coming up to speed on a new architecture. As such, it was easier to throw in a test that completely blocked everything while it was waiting for feedback (disabled interrupts or the kernel treated the task as high priority).

Bottom line, probably not worth the effort of investigating if you get the head moving and the issue goes away. Better use of (y)our time would be to open your favorite beverage and “blast off through the ozone”!

#8 3 years ago

Very cool! Thanks for the follow up!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, IN
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Glen Rock, PA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 40.00
Machine - For Sale
Walbridge, OH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pwedge.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-wpc-party-zone-rom-game-slow-see-video?tu=Pwedge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.