(Topic ID: 223563)

Tech: Wpc Driver Bd Guru question

By pinballplusMN

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Hello,

Helping a newbie. Game is getaway. Issue is verified in the PDboard.Trough coil was burnt. Replaced q54 and all components associated with it as they were toast. Even the U4 Driver chip 74ls374. Problem is the coil still pulls in on power up. When 5 vdc removed from the driver bd, the coil will not lock on which leads me to believe another ic is bad on the board possibly.. I still have something backstream on this driver bd that is causing the issue. Any help would be appreciated. The rest of the circuits lamps etc work fine. Its this only driver circuit q54 with issues. This is an odd issue as its not cut and dry as usual. I have 20+years with these wpc's and can fix almost anything and this is a stumper

Thanks in advance! JR

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Replaced q54 and all components associated with it as they were toast.

Is there still any burned area on the circuit board ? That could be conductive and trigger a transistor to open.

edit:
    same transistor (Q54) with burned PCB
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roadshow-eyelids-up-coil-stuck-on#post-4442656

#3 5 years ago

Thanks for the help.the link will help. I will try and clean up more and see if that helps.

1 week later
    #4 5 years ago

Thanks for the help. Cleaning ip all oxidation and burn area solved the issue. I must have had continuity on the burnt area.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-wpc-driver-bd-guru-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.