(Topic ID: 30691)

TECH: WPC-95 won't boot up. [RESOLVED]

By kmoore88

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

In troubleshooting a DMD issue my machine will not start up now.

I have disconnected all switch, coil, flasher and GI connectors and left ribbon and power connectors attached. All Driver board LED's are lit but the A/V LED 501 is out (J606 pins 4/5 test at 5v tho). The CPU LED's are the following with power on:

LED 201 (top) = off
    LED 203 (middle) = rapid flashing
    LED 202 (bottom) = solid lit

Problem on the CPU board I assume? I hate board problems

Thanks for any guidance.

#2 11 years ago

Sounds like your CPU took a hit.

Anything that is on it socketed, gently see if they are in tight.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

I would hook everything back up on the power board. That shouldn't have anything to do with booting. The CPU board sounds like it did boot ok since the lights are flashing. How do you determine the machine won't boot? If your av board is dead you won't have video or sound. But the playfield lights will come up. You can also swap boards (as long as you swap roms) between your two wpc95 games.

So my suggestions:
    1) hook everything back up.
    2) reseat all ribbon cables
    3) report back with specifics explaining what "will not boot" means
    4) disconnect ribbon from CPU board that goes to the av board. Do the playfield lights come on?
    5) swap boards between the two games until you isolate the bad one and we can go from there.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I would hook everything back up on the power board. That shouldn't have anything to do with booting. The CPU board sounds like it did boot ok since the lights are flashing. How do you determine the machine won't boot? If your av board is dead you won't have video or sound. But the playfield lights will come up. You can also swap boards (as long as you swap roms) between your two wpc95 games.
    So my suggestions:
    1) hook everything back up.
    2) reseat all ribbon cables
    3) report back with specifics explaining what "will not boot" means
    4) disconnect ribbon from CPU board that goes to the av board. Do the playfield lights come on?
    5) swap boards between the two games until you isolate the bad one and we can go from there.

Thanks. I just had the A/V board tested and repaired due to the HV section being out. I also have a new Rottendog A/V board (with ROM's) I use for trouble shooting/back-up so I don't think it's the A/V board. I'm hesitant to hook up PF connectors until I get the display/sound working. Also, I don't want to swap boards from another game for fear of frying perfectly good boards.

To clarify by what I meant by not booting = no display, no sounds, no GI lights, etc.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

so I don't think it's the A/V board.

Why not ? Crap happens. New board or repaired board.

#6 11 years ago

So no display and no sounds is caused by a bad av board.
    No GI lights - these won't light up because you disconnected them.

The CPU is booting based on the blanking led flashing. The rest is impossible to determine state because you unhooked everything.

There is no reason to have all those things disconnected from the power board. That has nothing to do with boot. If you can't take any of the steps I suggested then we can't get any further debug info and I'm done. Good luck.

#7 11 years ago

Also have you checked all the fuses on the two AV boards? My rottendog one shipped with the wrong fuses. They were 10x too weak. They should be the same fuses used in the Williams board.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Why not ? Crap happens. New board or repaired board.

Thanks Lloyd. Certainly possible. I've had both the repaired and new A/V board installed, same results. Also, swapped out DMD's.

Quoted from markmon:

So no display and no sounds is caused by a bad av board.
    No GI lights - these won't light up because you disconnected them.
    The CPU is booting based on the blanking led flashing. The rest is impossible to determine state because you unhooked everything.
    There is no reason to have all those things disconnected from the power board. That has nothing to do with boot. If you can't take any of the steps I suggested then we can't get any further debug info and I'm done. Good luck.

Thanks again. Not arguing with you, but the DMD and sound should work as long as all the ribbons and power connectors are connected, correct? Coil, switch, and GI connectors disconnected from the driver board would not prevent the DMD from displaying.

Quoted from markmon:

Also have you checked all the fuses on the two AV boards? My rottendog one shipped with the wrong fuses. They were 10x too weak. They should be the same fuses used in the Williams board.

I did check for continuity but not amp correctness. (UPDATE: the WMS A/V fuses are correct. Rottendog uses .5A for all four fuses)

#9 11 years ago

If the AV board is bad, the game may still boot up but with no video or sound. the only indicator this happens is the lights in the playfield. You can see it enter attract mode. But since you unhooked everything, we cannot see that happen. You have strongly assumed your AV board is fine and refuse to move past that. It's not possible to help you in this case as no further debug data can be received. In order to fix a problem, it has to be debugged. You can't just shotgun fixes.

I have suggested several ways to move forward:
    - put a "you say its working" av board with its roms swapped into the other working wpc95 game. You say your av boards are both fine. Then what's the problem? Prove it. I personally think the issues are in the AV boards. But there's no enough data to prove it for sure. Swapping boards into other systems proves it.
    - hook up the rest of the connectors so we can see what's going on in the playfield

I will stop responding to this thread until something is done to gather more data. Good luck with your repair. Hope you figure it out.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

If the AV board is bad, the game may still boot up but with no video or sound. the only indicator this happens is the lights in the playfield. You can see it enter attract mode. But since you unhooked everything, we cannot see that happen. You have strongly assumed your AV board is fine and refuse to move past that. It's not possible to help you in this case as no further debug data can be received. In order to fix a problem, it has to be debugged. You can't just shotgun fixes.
    I have suggested several ways to move forward:
    - put a "you say its working" av board with its roms swapped into the other working wpc95 game. You say your av boards are both fine. Then what's the problem? Prove it. I personally think the issues are in the AV boards. But there's no enough data to prove it for sure. Swapping boards into other systems proves it.
    - hook up the rest of the connectors so we can see what's going on in the playfield
    I will stop responding to this thread until something is done to gather more data. Good luck with your repair. Hope you figure it out.

Thanks for the info! I hear yeah. I'll re-group tomorrow and go thru your advice with both boards.

#11 11 years ago

Easiest check here is whether the data ribbon cables are connected correctly.... It is hard to see sometimes and very easy to think it is connected when in fact it is 'off' on one side etc. Markmon gave the tip (item 2 on his checklist).

#12 11 years ago

So my first advice is to just hook everything else up. Don't swap boards yet. Let's see what happens then. I assume the game will enter attract mode with no sound or video. If not, report exactly what does happen and the state of the CPU LEDs in that test.

If the CPU LEDs enter the state you reported where the activity led is flashing, that means the CPU booted up. If the cpu leds don't enter flashing state then we should unhook only the two ribbon cables at the top going to the av board. Then test that the game enters attract mode.

Once we are at this point we can determine if it's time to swap boards or what.

Hope that makes sense.

#13 11 years ago

I had a game with a similar issue. I unplugged the ribbon cables from CPU board and powered up. My CPU booted ok so I powered down and plugged one ribbon cable in at a time and powered on. In this case the display driver board was the problem.

Changing too many variables at once makes it harder to troubleshoot.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from cal50:

I had a game with a similar issue. I unplugged the ribbon cables from CPU board and powered up. My CPU booted ok so I powered down and plugged one ribbon cable in at a time and powered on. In this case the display driver board was the problem.
    Changing too many variables at once makes it harder to troubleshoot.

I tried re-setting ribbon cables first, no go. I had a spare set of cables so I swapped out the two CPU to A/V cables and it fired up. Replaced one of the new cables back with an old one, didn't work. New one back in, worked. Hooked up all the other connectors, still working. So, I rolled the dice and put in the new ColorDMD and all is good.

Quoted from markmon:

Once we are at this point we can determine if it's time to swap boards or what.
    Hope that makes sense,

It did, fortunately I didn't need to go that far.

Thanks to all that responded!

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

WMS changed the AV fuse values later in the run. Compare Congo, AFM and MB manuals.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

WMS changed the AV fuse values later in the run. Compare Congo, AFM and MB manuals.

But certainly not by a factor of 10, right?

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

No, not 10x. .25 amp to .315 amp

The av board has 4 fuses. Two are .25a and two are 2.5a. On the rottendog I got, all four were 0.25a.

#19 11 years ago

Markmon,
    Following this similar issue except I have lights and video.
    What do the LED lights mean on the CPU board.. on my TOTAN. as described above bottom LED constant ON, middle flashes, top LED off... is this normal?

Getting ready tonight after work to have some one walk me thru the voltage and pin connector checks.. this is all brand new to me.

Thanks.

#20 11 years ago

I had the same issue except the middle light was off. Found a resistor that had corrosion and eaten it almost in two right under the battery holder. Replaced resistor and problem solved.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Markmon,
    Following this similar issue except I have lights and video.
    What do the LED lights mean on the CPU board.. on my TOTAN. as described above bottom LED constant ON, middle flashes, top LED off... is this normal?
    Getting ready tonight after work to have some one walk me thru the voltage and pin connector checks.. this is all brand new to me.
    Thanks.

If the middle is flashing then your CPU has booted up. I suggest you start a new thread with "TECH: " in the title and describe your issue in as much detail as possible to get a bunch of eyes on it.

#22 11 years ago

Right, the 2.5 amp fuses stayed the same... but the smaller ones went from .25 to .315

#23 11 years ago

Yes, feel like an idiot.. of course the manual explains the lights.. sound dongs I'm experiencing.. and have another more experienced helper walking me thru how to use DMM to do all correct checks and isolate problem.
    I will post a new topic once I get going in next few days, but thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-wpc-95-wont-boot-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.