Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by kmoore88
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MM_DMD.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

I bought a new Vishay DMD as a replacement, it has been working for a year. I replaced the ribbon cable, no change. I put in the original DMD and nothing is displayed. So, I'm guessing it's the A/V board (fuses are good - checked continuity), any ideas on what could be wrong and how to check it? Thanks.

MM_DMD.JPGMM_DMD.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Kind of tough to tell from the photo, but it looks like a low voltage thing. Do a rebuild on the HV section or send it out to be done.

Confirm by posting the voltages at the big connector on the display.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    314-766-4587

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Kind of tough to tell from the photo, but it looks like a low voltage thing. Do a rebuild on the HV section or send it out to be done.
    Confirm by posting the voltages at the big connector on the display.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    314-766-4587

Hi Rob, you actually worked on this board last year.

#4 11 years ago

Swap you av board with one of your other wpc95 to be sure. You have interesting options other than repair:
    - You can buy a rottendog board.
    - You can buy a colordmd for your MM which runs on low volts and put the broken av board into medieval madness.
    - You can buy an xpin led Dmd and the $65 part they sell that doesn't require HV
    - You can buy a pinled DMD. It doesn't use the hv.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Swap you av board with one of your other wpc95 to be sure. You have interesting options other than repair:
    - You can buy a rottendog board.
    - You can buy a colordmd for your MM which runs on low volts and put the broken av board into Medieval Madness.
    - You can buy an xpin led Dmd and the $65 part they sell that doesn't require HV
    - You can buy a pinled DMD. It doesn't use the hv.

Thanks. I'm planning to get the colormd for MM. Might pick up a Rottendog as well.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

Thanks. I'm planning to get the colormd for MM. Might pick up a Rottendog as well.

If you get the colordmd for the mm you don't need the rottendog. Just move the bad board into the mm and the good board somewhere else. I saved two defective av boards for afm and mm color Dmd.

#7 11 years ago

Thats a good idea. HV rebuild isn't expensive or difficult if you can solder, but why bother if you don't need to

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

If you get the colordmd for the mm you don't need the rottendog. Just move the bad board into the mm and the good board somewhere else. I saved two defective av boards for afm and mm color Dmd.

Understood, I was planning to get the Rottendog as a back up for my SS and any future WPC-95 buys.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

Understood, I was planning to get the Rottendog as a back up for my SS and any future WPC-95 buys.

I wouldn't bother. The xpin Dmd is about the same price as the rottendog board and you get to choose cool colors . And by the time another breaks, if it ever does, you might have more colo Dmd options out.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I wouldn't bother. The xpin Dmd is about the same price as the rottendog board and you get to choose cool colors . And by the time another breaks, if it ever does, you might have more colo Dmd options out.

Good point. So the partial image display is likely due to the HVAC section of the AV board? Thanks.

#12 11 years ago

If the board was reworked once already, it'll be tough to repair second time.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

If the board was reworked once already, it'll be tough to repair second time.

If it's the same failure, perhaps.

If I tear a plated through hole, I can put an eyelet in. I'm sure Rob can do the same.

As long as the traces aren't burnt off the board, most anything can be repaired. On an A/V board, it's worth the eyelets and time to repair it. On a $50 used WPC-89 DMD driver, perhaps not

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

HV = High Voltage. Not HVAC
    Got a meter? You could test it, and know for sure....
    http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Testing_DMD_Controller_Power

Thanks for the info. I was just curious as what the cause could be. I'll wait until I get the ColorDMD. If it works with the bad board I'll leave it be.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

HV = High Voltage. Not HVAC
    Got a meter? You could test it, and know for sure....
    http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Testing_DMD_Controller_Power

Reading 0 at pins 1 & 2 on the DMD end and at the board header pins.
    --------------
    Correction, I think. DMM should be set at DC volts, right? If so 118v at header pin 1 and 0 at DMD pin 1. 0v at pin 2 header and pin 2 DMD.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

Hi Rob, you actually worked on this board last year.

Hey Keith, if it's the set from last year and not earlier this year, my notes show the work done to the A/V board was in the sound section, not the HV section. I would have still done my standard service on the HV section, but that would not have included any component replacement since the HV section was working fine.

Please go ahead and send it back and I'll take care of it.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    314-766-4587

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Hey Keith, if it's the set from last year and not earlier this year, my notes show the work done to the A/V board was in the sound section, not the HV section. I would have still done my standard service on the HV section, but that would not have included any component replacement since the HV section was working fine.
    Please go ahead and send it back and I'll take care of it.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    314-766-4587

Sure thing Rob, thanks for checking!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-wpc-95-dmd-display-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.